Sign in to follow this  
Uscg-Green

49ers screwed rest of league with deal given to Jimmy G

When the 49s gave a QB that huge deal that had played what 7 games? Started a chain. All Star Veteran QBS went if he gets that for 7 games I'm going to cash in. Then Minnesota gave Captain Average another rediculous deal. Next up is Rodgers and Ryan. By the time it comes around to Wentz it's going to cost so much money it's going to damage rest of team. 

Meh... I think Cousins was going to get a big deal regardless and hey the Niners obviously felt Jimmy G was worth it. Let's not forget if he continues to develop then his next contract is going to be even bigger and they will have to do that a couple of years before we have to negotiate Wentz next big deal. Its all cycles and ultimately if Wentz continues to develop then we are going to have the best QB in the NFL anyway. 

I kind of agree. The rate at which QBs have received pay raises has gone up faster than inflation but it started well before Jimmy G. The deals handed out to Stafford, Carr, Flacco, were all poor deals prior to what Garoppolo and Cousins got. They are just building on those poor deals.

I don't think any of those QBs are good enough to carry on offense on their own, they need proper weapons in place to succeed (most QBs do, don't get me wrong.)

But you could get away paying a guy like Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Luck, Brees (when he was healthy obviously) that type of money. Those guys can be your entire offense, and have proven that throughout their careers. 

Now we have the real deal. WE pay him whatever it takes to keep him. Simple as that 

6 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Now we have the real deal. WE pay him whatever it takes to keep him. Simple as that 

You know it's funny... Fans spent years really desperate for that franchise QB, we finally get him and now some want to complain about what we are going to have to pay him. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You know it's funny... Fans spent years really desperate for that franchise QB, we finally get him and now some want to complain about what we are going to have to pay him. 

Yeah I was going to mention that. But just chalked it up to the fact that some people will complain no matter what.

And if another team (especially NFC teams) wants to pay an average qb like a franchise qb more power to them. That's just less money they have for other key position acquisitions(which they need because they have an average qb) leaving them that much further from being a . Win Win for the Eagles.

1 hour ago, Uscg-Green said:

When the 49s gave a QB that huge deal that had played what 7 games? Started a chain. All Star Veteran QBS went if he gets that for 7 games I'm going to cash in. Then Minnesota gave Captain Average another rediculous deal. Next up is Rodgers and Ryan. By the time it comes around to Wentz it's going to cost so much money it's going to damage rest of team. 

When Cousins Chokes it will make teams hesitant to go big with players like him .... It does suck  when people have to pay for potential and not performance though .  Jimmy G  has a skyscraper Ceiling  compared to Kirk though  

1 minute ago, SNOORDA said:

Yeah I was going to mention that. But just chalked it up to the fact that some people will complain no matter what. And if another team wants to pay an average qb like a franchise qb more power to them. That's just less money they have for other key position acquisitions(which they need because they have an average qb). Win Win for the Eagles.

Yeah and that's the thing... I mean could be worse, we could have just signed Bradford to $20M a year or Glennon to be his back up for $8M a year. Or we could have just signed Bridgewater and McCowan and then moved up in the draft to presumably take a QB. Or we could have just signed a pretty average QB to a fully guaranteed contract. 

6 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

When Cousins Chokes it will make teams hesitant to go big with players like him .... It does suck  when people have to pay for potential and not performance though .  Jimmy G  has a skyscraper Ceiling  compared to Kirk though  

Maybe teams saw Foles win the super bowl and instead of looking for that elite qb they are looking to catch lightning in a bottle like we happened to do.

Carson Wentz is the ultimate team player. He'll take a lot in his first contract but I'd bet my money that he'll end up on Brady contracts one day to help the team, if he stays healthy.

Have contracts been capped in the NFL the way they have in the NHL? I'm recalling some of the QB contracts... Bledsoe and his $102m/10 year, McNabb 115m/10 year, Favre 110m/10 year, Vick's $130m and Culpepper's $110m. You don't see contracts in those lengths anymore. 

1 hour ago, zenclaybourne said:

I think that would ruin the league.

Then it is gonna need a much bigger raise with stuff like this happening. Something has got to give?

If the cap goes up,  the salaries will just go up with it.  

Every team has to deal with it.  I'm sure a lot of teams are looking at the eagles with carson on a cheap rookie deal and don't think it's fair the eagles can spend so much on other positions. 

It's lame to complain about this just because it's going to affect the eagles soon. Brees, matt ryan, cam, big ben are all paid well and their teams were in the playoffs.   

Before we had carson fans said you do whatever it takes to get a franchise qb ,its the most important position and the only way you can win consistently.   Now we have one who looks like one of the best in the league, mvp caliber in his second season and people don't want to pay him. 

NFL salaries and contracts are nothing like the real world.  No CEO could command an industry leading contract without a substantial body of work and success behind him.  Jimmy G has done nothing to deserve a contract like that except shown a little potential.  But, like I said, the NFL bases it's contracts on a combination of performance, potential, pressure to win and desperation.  

The 49ers gave Jimmy G that contract out of a combination of potential and desperation.  His performance certainly didn't warrant that deal and the 49ers didn't really have pressure to keep him under contract as they easily could have franchised him for a year or two to see what he could really do.

And this goes for every NFL team.  The eagles will be rewarding Wentz due to performance and continued potential to win.  The vikings gave cousins that contract out of a combination of performance and pressure to win.  

Teams will draft QBs on potential and desperation.  Then ruin most of their careers due to the pressure to win immediately.

Teams sign Bradford due to his potential, but a different kind of potential.  If he ever stays healthy, he is an effective QB.....and nobody still knows what he could do with a high level of skill talent around him.

I don't begrudge any player for getting a fat contract.....I would do it myself.  But I think there is some validity to the argument that a huge QB contract can negatively effect a team's ability to keep enough talent throughout the roster to win consistently and challenge for a championship.  I think Brady realizes this.....but it was easier for him since he and his wife have so many other income generators.

Imagine if the eagles had been paying Wentz $28 million this past year.......who would they have had to let go to get under the cap?  How much would that have affected their ability to win consistently?  

And it's starting to affect other positions.....Is $16 million for a WR worth it? or $12 million for a RB?  Or is it possible to make up enough production with less talented players who are much cheaper?  

It's a tough situation for NFL GMs.....balancing talent, production and costs....

20 hours ago, Uscg-Green said:

Just be happy the Birds have been able to get pro bowl level QB play without paying pro bowl level dollars. That will change soon. 

19 hours ago, NE.Jon said:

There is the problem in a nut shell. Every team bases their value on potential not actual performance/accomplishments. If the NFL didn't get that television revenue these contracts wouldn't be getting handed out like they are coupons.

19 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

Maybe teams saw Foles win the super bowl and instead of looking for that elite qb they are looking to catch lightning in a bottle like we happened to do.

Foles is far more established as an NFL level type of QB. Than what some of these guys have proven so far to be.  That are getting these outrageous contracts. I don't see it has having caught lightening in a bottle with him .Given that he has performed/produced when asked to do so, more times than not.

11 hours ago, mogwi411 said:

people don't want to pay him. 

That's no what was said at all. The problem is these deals are rising faster then the cap is. I don't mind paying Carson but I'd like him to be able to have some decent people around him.

31 minutes ago, Uscg-Green said:

That's no what was said at all. The problem is these deals are rising faster then the cap is. I don't mind paying Carson but I'd like him to be able to have some decent people around him.

The whole league has to deal with it.   Nobody has an unfair advantage so not sure why people are complaining about it.   If the qb salary gets to the point that letting a top tier qb go so you can improve other positions becomes a more effective way to win,  we'll see a change.   It's already at the point where i think if you have a qb like Winston , i think you're better off trading him and keep drafting at qb till you get someone who can be elite.

Paying carson just means the eagles have to continually draft well,  and make good contract decisions... just like everyone else.