Sign in to follow this  
EricAllenPick6

Mark Rypien attempted suicide, claims to have brain damage from playing days

I find this story to be really interesting:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22968747/mark-rypien-former-super-bowl-mvp-washington-redskins-says-attempted-suicide

Rypien says, 

"People think you have to be knocked out to have a concussion," Rypien told the newspaper. "There are hundreds of times you shake it off and get back in there. It's all about the cumulative hits. That's what cause brain damage."

Remember, when he played, the Redskins offense was an all-time dominant best kind of offense.  I think the dude was sacked something like 20 times in a season (but this may be an exaggeration).  My point is, he was barely ever touched and he's suffering from major problems.  The article never says 'CTE', but it certainly seems like what they are describing.  I've always thought that quarterback was a fairly safe position, where you probably have a much lower rate of CTE, but I may be wrong.  If QBs suffer as much as everyone else, why don't we hear about Marino, AIkman, Young, Montana, Elway, etc. suffering from problems like this?

18 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22968747/mark-rypien-former-super-bowl-mvp-washington-redskins-says-attempted-suicide

Rypien says, 

Remember, when he played, the Redskins offense was an all-time dominant best kind of offense.  I think the dude was sacked something like 20 times in a season (but this may be an exaggeration).  My point is, he was barely ever touched and he's suffering from major problems.  The article never says 'CTE', but it certainly seems like what they are describing.  I've always thought that quarterback was a fairly safe position, where you probably have a much lower rate of CTE, but I may be wrong.  If QBs suffer as much as everyone else, why don't we hear about Marino, AIkman, Young, Montana, Elway, etc. suffering from problems like this?

Aikman's issues from his playing football days are pretty well documented as are Young's, I believe. 

As to your question, my best guess is that some people are simply genetically predisposed to being able to endure hits better than others.  Kind of like the boxing episode of the Simpson's where Homer has an unusually thick skull that allows him to absorb punishment.

This was one of the main factors that Calvin Johnson left the game early. He said there is concussions on every single play. The only ones the players are held out for protocol are the noticeable ones. 

That's sad.

It's true that really any position on the field except maybe kicker and punter are constantly subjected to the brain being bounced around in the skull. There are collisions on every play, some small, some huge. The cumulative effects over years I'm sure can be devastating.

1 hour ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Rypien says, 

It could be brain disease from something totally unrelated to football.

Could be a genetic trait in his family or any number of environmental factors. 

Former NFL athletes have lower suicide rates than age-matched males.  CTE is a lot like global warming in that it demands further research and is real, but is also a vehicle that has taken off as a political/hysteria issue behind a lot of bad science.

10 hours ago, KzEaglefan86 said:

Aikman's issues from his playing football days are pretty well documented as are Young's, I believe. 

As to your question, my best guess is that some people are simply genetically predisposed to being able to endure hits better than others.  Kind of like the boxing episode of the Simpson's where Homer has an unusually thick skull that allows him to absorb punishment.

Or like Bobby and his Wentz/Foles thread.

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Former NFL athletes have lower suicide rates than age-matched males.  CTE is a lot like global warming in that it demands further research and is real, but is also a vehicle that has taken off as a political/hysteria issue behind a lot of bad science.

Link to your first assertion?

enough football players, including our own Andre Waters. have taken their own lives which leads me to believe it's more serious than we give it credit for. 

2 hours ago, The_Talon said:

enough football players, including our own Andre Waters. have taken their own lives

which leads me to believe it's more serious than we give it credit for. 

I tend to agree. The things that we'll _NEVER_  know for sure are: how many NFL players would have developed

any and all brain maladies anyways, even had they not played pro football. Or if potential brain maladies already

present in an individual are either triggered by or made worse by extreme contact.  

On 4/2/2018 at 9:38 PM, Quiet Boy said:

Or like Bobby and his Wentz/Foles thread.

For the record i played in the era where concussions were no big deal lol its still my feeling. This is a soccer mom agenda 

I recall for many years when comparing the toughness of the football vs hockey calling into evidence Rod Brind'Amour getting hip-checked into boards, lacerating his eyesocket, going into the locker room to get stitches and coming back out to play while Mark Rypien missed a game because of a hangnail.

16 hours ago, voodoochile75 said:

I recall for many years when comparing the toughness of the football vs hockey calling into evidence Rod Brind'Amour getting hip-checked into boards, lacerating his eyesocket, going into the locker room to get stitches and coming back out to play while Mark Rypien missed a game because of a hangnail.

That's one of the reasons I found this story so interesting.  Rypien was not a tough guy, and didn't get hit much because he played behind a fantastic offensive line.  Now, if you told me Brett Favre had CTE issues, I would not be surprised.  I am surprised with Rypien.  

On 4/3/2018 at 7:13 AM, The_Talon said:

enough football players, including our own Andre Waters. have taken their own lives which leads me to believe it's more serious than we give it credit for. 

I don't disagree that could definitely be the case. But there could be other factors at play as well.  I am in no way diminishing the reality of football-related CTE - these guys take a brutal pounding - but other considerations could be:

1) Pain killer addiction & resulting side effects/brain chemistry changes.

2) Not being able to handle being "out of the spotlight."  Many of these guys have been treated like stars since their high school days ... and then, one day, it's just over & no one cares who they are anymore. A lot of them have no direction and no planning for their post-football career.  They end up broke, their "friends" are gone, etc.

3) CTE., depression or dementia not due to football-related causes.

I think it's obviously something that has to keep being researched.

10 hours ago, ckudrick said:

I don't disagree that could definitely be the case. But there could be other factors at play as well.  I am in no way diminishing the reality of football-related CTE - these guys take a brutal pounding - but other considerations could be:

2) Not being able to handle being "out of the spotlight."  Many of these guys have been treated like stars since their high school days ... and then, one day, it's just over & no one cares who they are anymore. A lot of them have no direction and no planning for their post-football career.  They end up broke, their "friends" are gone, etc.

I'm inclined to think option #3 is not really a factor. or if it is a factor, it's caused by options #1 & #2, as well as from the shell shock, or PTSD suffered from the brutal hits they give & take. I'm no expert on the matter but I really think it's no different than returning soldiers from the WW's, Vietnam, etc. Some people just get really Fed up from it. 

On 4/3/2018 at 3:15 AM, eagle45 said:

While this study suggest that the suicude rate of people with cte is no higher than the general public.

It doesnt talk about the rate of players with depression/chronic pain that can lead and is correlated with depression and other health issues related to CTE or concussions and how those health concerns lead to risk if suicide compared to general public.

Interesting questions that i agree need to be studied more.

On 4/6/2018 at 2:03 PM, ckudrick said:

Exactly.  Football is bad for brain and body.  No debate.  Also not exactly late breaking news.  Common sense.

The exact nature of CTE, what it causes, the exact numbers behind the risk, etc...still uncertain.  Can’t just blame CTE reflexively every time something goes on with a former football player.  

2 hours ago, Utebird said:

While this study suggest that the suicude rate of people with cte is no higher than the general public.

It doesnt talk about the rate of players with depression/chronic pain that can lead and is correlated with depression and other health issues related to CTE or concussions and how those health concerns lead to risk if suicide compared to general public.

Interesting questions that i agree need to be studied more.

Chronic pain and depression are on the same spectrum and exacerbate one another.  That plays into this too...