OzzyX

Jerry Jones: "No Big Gap Between Cowboys and Eagles"

"Well, Philadelphia had been trying to win a Super Bowl the 30 years I'd been in the NFL and got it this year. Not two [years]," Jones said recently, via ESPN's Todd Archer. "So, they've been trying a long time to win a Super Bowl and other teams have, too. So, it wasn't just a two-year run for them to go to the Super Bowl."

The salty seasoning sprinkled on Jones' response displays just how much Philly winning the Super Bowl rankled the Cowboys.

Jones was asked about closing the gap in the NFC East, but the Dallas owner doesn't see much of a difference between squads.

"I think that if the gap is defined as them winning the Super Bowl and [us] not even getting in the playoffs, then we've got to close the gap," Jones said. "I think that we should've been in the playoffs. We weren't. But I don't believe that us not being in the playoffs this past year is the size of the gap."

"I'd like to think that Philly closed the deal of where we had an opportunity to do it the year before."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000924770/article/jerry-jones-no-big-gap-between-cowboys-eagles

coffee.gif.30470916e89e736f2edbda0cb5f6c518.gif

Jerry is either off his meds or is completely homer-blind.  There's a gap.  We can go ahead and call it a grand canyon sized gap.  I have always thought that he is the one that's holding the cowboys back.  If they were to hire a real GM, they would be much better off.  

IDK what people expect him to say, he's not going to disparage his own team in an effort to build us up.  Even still, what position on the roster (Other than RB) does Dallas legitimately have us beat at?

- Their OL used to be better but ours improved and showed depth while theirs went to shambles at the first sign of injury

- Their WRS could be better but thats banking on two players (Bryant, Hurns) who's production has been in decline regaining their lost form

Other than that, I really don't even know where a Cowboys homer would even start by attempting to argue this point

What do you expect an owner or coach to say when ask that question? Dallas was 13-3 year before last and Philly looked somewhat lost. Dallas lost the Greenbay game in the playoffs with a sub par defense. 

Philly’s D should get half the credit for their SB win. You guys had a great year all the way around and everything just clicked even with the big injuries. 

The think Dallas lost to much of their talent last year and thought they had enough depth but it wasn’t even close. I hope they learned a valuable lesson but time will tell. 

As for coaching I remember most fans were pretty upset with Doug was hired but turns out to be a really good coach and could be a great coach. Garrett just can’t seam to put together a season where he goes 12 or 13 wins but falls apart in the playoffs. I think he needs to go and this could be his last year unless he does something special.

9 minutes ago, gch said:

What do you expect an owner or coach to say when ask that question? Dallas was 13-3 year before last and Philly looked somewhat lost. Dallas lost the Greenbay game in the playoffs with a sub par defense. 

Philly’s D should get half the credit for their SB win. You guys had a great year all the way around and everything just clicked even with the big injuries. 

The think Dallas lost to much of their talent last year and thought they had enough depth but it wasn’t even close. I hope they learned a valuable lesson but time will tell. 

As for coaching I remember most fans were pretty upset with Doug was hired but turns out to be a really good coach and could be a great coach. Garrett just can’t seam to put together a season where he goes 12 or 13 wins but falls apart in the playoffs. I think he needs to go and this could be his last year unless he does something special.

How can you say that they may have learned a valuable lesson when they haven't done very much this offseason?

So far, they are coming back with the same players that weren't good enough last year.

no no no Jerry, stay on subject, we aren't talking about the gap size of the glory hole

2 hours ago, pisceschica said:

There’s definitely a gap in the coaching staff

A big gap! Doug Pederson is on a totally different level than Jason Garrett. And I think there might even be a big gap between the two quarterbacks as well...it seems difficult for Dak Prescott to maintain the level of play he did his rookie year, but we'll see. 

Dallas for a long time now seems to me to have a very top heavy roster. If you listed players in order of talent the top quarter would seem very impressive but the rest is full of mediocre, below average players. It's why injuries have such a huge impact. Its also why despite the star power they seem to underachieve (coaching also) . Also it seems their special teams for the most part for the past decade has been mediocre and depth in the roster has a big effect on that as well.

43 minutes ago, boogyman said:

Dallas for a long time now seems to me to have a very top heavy roster. If you listed players in order of talent the top quarter would seem very impressive but the rest is full of mediocre, below average players. It's why injuries have such a huge impact. Its also why despite the star power they seem to underachieve (coaching also) . Also it seems their special teams for the most part for the past decade has been mediocre and depth in the roster has a big effect on that as well.

Great point..and major salary cap mismanagement (ie Dez Bryant). Any average cornerback shuts him down these days. 

3 hours ago, boogyman said:

I think the same can be said for the Giants. If you look at each teams top 10 players it’s very competitive, but the next 10 the gaps widens and widens further with the 10 after that. This will change when the Birds have to dish out $25M+ a year to Wentz, but for right now they can load up in other areas while paying peanuts for pro bowl caliber QB play. 

11 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

I think the same can be said for the Giants. If you look at each teams top 10 players it very competitive, but the next 10 the gaps widens and widens further with the 10 after that. This will change when the Birds have to dish out $25M+ a year to Wentz, but for right now they can load up in other areas while paying peanuts for pro bowl caliber QB play. 

If teams draft well they can overcome the high QB salary. Having numerous quality starters on roleplayers on rookie contracts can lessen the burden of 1 or 2 very high contracts. 

Also grabbing the vets with a little in the tank on 1 or 2 year low cost deals helps. New England has done it for a while and we did very well with this last season.

40 minutes ago, boogyman said:

If teams draft well they can overcome the high QB salary. Having numerous quality starters on roleplayers on rookie contracts can lessen the burden of 1 or 2 very high contracts. 

Also grabbing the vets with a little in the tank on 1 or 2 year low cost deals helps. New England has done it for a while and we did very well with this last season.

Yup very true. The Giants have done fine in FA, but have drafted terribly for a decade. This is a very important draft for us. 

2 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

I think the same can be said for the Giants. If you look at each teams top 10 players it’s very competitive, but the next 10 the gaps widens and widens further with the 10 after that. This will change when the Birds have to dish out $25M+ a year to Wentz, but for right now they can load up in other areas while paying peanuts for All-Pro caliber QB play. 

Our QBs are pretty damn good, agreed.

On 4/4/2018 at 1:12 PM, Eglzfan39 said:

IDK what people expect him to say, he's not going to disparage his own team in an effort to build us up.  Even still, what position on the roster (Other than RB) does Dallas legitimately have us beat at?

- Their OL used to be better but ours improved and showed depth while theirs went to shambles at the first sign of injury

- Their WRS could be better but thats banking on two players (Bryant, Hurns) who's production has been in decline regaining their lost form

Other than that, I really don't even know where a Cowboys homer would even start by attempting to argue this point

Brandon Brooks is LG and Zack martin is RG I think so I’d say RG. Backup TE is a valid argument. Trying to think.... punter?

47 minutes ago, Havenless said:

Brandon Brooks is LG and Zack martin is RG I think so I’d say RG. Backup TE is a valid argument. Trying to think.... punter?

Brooks plays RG but either way, I was speaking more towards units rather than individual players.  IMO, one team has to have both better starting quality players and depth at a given position to definitively declare them "Better".  As somebody mentioned in this thread, they're just so top heavy (And always have been under JJ), so its pretty hard to outright declare them being "Better" at really any position than us.

2 hours ago, Havenless said:

Wiz played LG for most of  last season. 

I just enjoyed watching Jerry defend his Girls. How choked up he is having to acknowledge my Birds as the better team. Gonna hurt those feelings again this year Jerry.??

On 4/4/2018 at 3:10 PM, gch said:

Be honest his team is not on the same level week The Eagles have much better front office much better coaching staff lets break it down the Eagles 

1. QB Eagles Wentz is a much better QB than Prescott and I would also take Foles over Prescott everyone says Prescott had a historic 1st year well everyone forgot about Foles 1st year 27 TDs to 2 Ints 7 TDs thrown against the Raiders which was a record Pro Bowl MVP and now SB MVP 

2. RB Cowboys  The Cowboys have one of the best RB in the game 

3.OL Eagles The Eagles might have slight edge in the starting Dept RT Eagles RG Cowboys C Even LG Eagles LT Even Depth Eagles 

4. TE Eagles Eagles a top 3 TE in the game Gronk is the best and Kelce and Ertz are on the same level you can say 2 and 2a 

5. WR Eagles Jeffries Wallace and Agholor are head and shoulders better the Cowboys top 3 

6. DL Eagles The Eagles have much better DT and rotatiopn

7. LB Eagles The Eagles have 3 very good starters and not much behind them the Cowboys have a very good MLB and lost there best OLB to free agency

8.CB Eagles They have good starting rotation  with pretty good depth behind Them I would take Darby Jones Mills and Douglass over Dallas young corners in a heart beat

9. S Eagles Jenkins is the heart and soul of the defense Cowboys lost there best S to Washington

10. K Eagles 

11. P Cowboys Cowboys have proven starter Eagles punter retired

On 4/4/2018 at 1:12 PM, Eglzfan39 said:

He can say the Eagles were clearly the better team we have some work to do to compete