Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Doug Pederson Honors Roy Halladay At Phillies Home Opener

Boy, I owe Doug an apology. 2 years ago I was ready to kick him out. I don't know how many times I complained about his decisions. I could not have been more off base in my life! He has quietly, behind the scenes, worked with his coaching staff, players, Howie and Douglas to win the SB for the first time in Franchise history. Now, everything he does has the touch of class to it! Well done Doug, Well Done....

I am tempted to go back to our postings a year ago where we were ready to pounce if his play calling didn't dramatically improve from the previous year.

It just seems like everything Doug does, it's exactly as we'd want him to. From one-handing a beer tossed up to him on a moving bus, to "Doug Pederson Day", the baseball pitch, etc..

If I didn't hate Time magazine for the political slant i'd be pushing for Dougie to be on the cover come this December.

I am thinking he purposely let out about that analytics crap, so Lurie would tell him not to take the dude verbatim. I am now looking back and thinking the dude is more calculating than I thought!  He probably did not want some hot shot telling him what he should do so purposely followed his directive so Lurie would fire the dude!  lol

3 hours ago, Swoopin' said:

I am tempted to go back to our postings a year ago where we were ready to pounce if his play calling didn't dramatically improve from the previous year.

It just seems like everything Doug does, it's exactly as we'd want him to. From one-handing a beer tossed up to him on a moving bus, to "Doug Pederson Day", the baseball pitch, etc..

If I didn't hate Time magazine for the political slant i'd be pushing for Dougie to be on the cover come this December.

I believe we assumed the play calls were bad(hey some WERE),but I think more than that he was overconfident in the players he had,he made the moves to GET those players that could execute his play calls and also adjusted some of his first year calls to fit the various players skill set.As I have said before,in my view and unbiased,he was COY,because as a coach what else can you do????? 

4 hours ago, stine said:

I am thinking he purposely let out about that analytics crap, so Lurie would tell him not to take the dude verbatim. I am now looking back and thinking the dude is more calculating than I thought!  He probably did not want some hot shot telling him what he should do so purposely followed his directive so Lurie would fire the dude!  lol

Insert Lurie for Doug and Chip for the analytics dude ...and you see how I felt 3 years ago!  I think Lurie is more claculating than some think.   

BTW.. the pitch was right on the outside corner!   Exactly like #34 used to throw them!

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

BTW.. the pitch was right on the outside corner!   Exactly like #34 used to throw them!

LOL--- Probably a bit slower though my friend. I loved  Holladay, but Carlton was my all time favorite. I remember one year he pitched and won 27 games, while the teams record was 59-97!  His ERA was 1.97....

2 minutes ago, stine said:

LOL--- Probably a bit slower though my friend. I loved  Holladay, but Carlton was my all time favorite. I remember one year he pitched and won 27 games, while the teams record was 59-97!  His ERA was 1.97....

Arguably the best year in baseball for a pitcher considering he almost won half the games himself...lol.  I was born after that season so Lefty has a mistique about him like no other athlete for me... the not talking to the media probably added to that.   But as Bowa said ... " I told my wife, coming back home for game 6 with Lefy on the mound, this is over, we are going to be world champs!"   Things were just different on days when Lefty was going to pitch.  

Last Pitcher in baseball to throw for over 300 innings in a season. Last pitcher in the NL to win 25 or more games in a season. Yep, he was one of a kind when you speak of southpaws...

36 minutes ago, stine said:

Last Pitcher in baseball to throw for over 300 innings in a season. Last pitcher in the NL to win 25 or more games in a season. Yep, he was one of a kind when you speak of southpaws...

A lot of times on 3 days rest!    Sometimes I think the game would be better if they wwent back to 4 starters and then had another guy for bullpen or position play.

How funny reading these posts about baseball back in the day. When the league went on strike in 1982, I was DONE with baseball. I still have not watched a game since. I loved baseball as a kid, watching and pitching though.  Being from Boise, I didn't really have a favorite team at the time, but I did like the Phillies simply because they were from the same town as my favorite football team.  Lefty was a star!  Mike Schmidt too!  Jim Rice was my favorite player, but I was a fan of Pete Rose and Willie Stargell and Johnny Bench too.  I think I've always hated the Yankees, to be honest, ALL New York sports teams!  We digress though, talking baseball.  Haha!

2 hours ago, senhorcook said:

How funny reading these posts about baseball back in the day. When the league went on strike in 1982, I was DONE with baseball. I still have not watched a game since. I loved baseball as a kid, watching and pitching though.  Being from Boise, I didn't really have a favorite team at the time, but I did like the Phillies simply because they were from the same town as my favorite football team.  Lefty was a star!  Mike Schmidt too!  Jim Rice was my favorite player, but I was a fan of Pete Rose and Willie Stargell and Johnny Bench too.  I think I've always hated the Yankees, to be honest, ALL New York sports teams!  We digress though, talking baseball.  Haha!

Well the NFL had a walk-out and so did the NHL,but yeah baseball I only watch the series cause the rest is so boring.I dunno where these guys get the 15 pounds of spit they spew every game either

On 4/6/2018 at 3:01 PM, joemas6 said:

Arguably the best year in baseball for a pitcher considering he almost won half the games himself...lol.  I was born after that season so Lefty has a mistique about him like no other athlete for me... the not talking to the media probably added to that.   But as Bowa said ... " I told my wife, coming back home for game 6 with Lefy on the mound, this is over, we are going to be world champs!"   Things were just different on days when Lefty was going to pitch.  

I usually don't ask baseball trivia questions on a football site however, Does anyone  know which baseball player gave Lefty the most problems ?  Yes I know the answer! LOL

Sad to say we're officially in football hell.

(phase 1)

On 4/7/2018 at 5:23 PM, 1wrangler said:

I usually don't ask baseball trivia questions on a football site however, Does anyone  know which baseball player gave Lefty the most problems ?  Yes I know the answer! LOL

Gary Carter

21 hours ago, ASG15 said:

Sad to say we're officially in football hell.

(phase 1)

Schedule comes out in 2 weeks. Draft in 3. All is good my friend...

9 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Gary Carter

Good Guess Joe but the answer is Johnny Bench!  He was one of the few players that could lay off of that low breaking pitch and make Lefty throw him a fast ball. LOL 

23 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Good Guess Joe but the answer is Johnny Bench!  He was one of the few players that could lay off of that low breaking pitch and make Lefty throw him a fast ball. LOL 

Nice...  see Bench had 12 HRs and batted .305 vs Lefty.    Carter had 11 HRs... can't find his average but to me it seemed like he was like .500 vs Carlton.    I don't remember Bench v Lefty... looks like he had two different games where he hit 3 HRs off of him,   1970 & 73 ... I was born in 72, so I missed it...lol.   Whne the Expos and Phillies were competing for the division... Carter was the guy I didn't want to see come to the plate, especially because how good he was vs Carlton.   

22 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Nice...  see Bench had 12 HRs and batted .305 vs Lefty.    Carter had 11 HRs... can't find his average but to me it seemed like he was like .500 vs Carlton.    I don't remember Bench v Lefty... looks like he had two different games where he hit 3 HRs off of him,   1970 & 73 ... I was born in 72, so I missed it...lol.   Whne the Expos and Phillies were competing for the division... Carter was the guy I didn't want to see come to the plate, especially because how good he was vs Carlton.   

Yes, the Phillies Expos games were always tough. LOL The last time I saw lefty pitch in person was in the sixth game of the 1980 World Series. We had seats about 3 rows back of the right center field wall. LOL That was the best seats we could get and they were plenty expensive as it was. Still have the ticket stubs somewhere with the rest of my Phillies memorabilia. Don't know what I'll ever do with them but I still have them. LOL  I was also hoping that I would see Greg Gross play in game 6 as I played legion ball and central league baseball with him before he was drafted. Gross didn't start but he got in defensively in left field at the end of the game. Seems like a long time ago now. Where did the time go?