Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Fan Mock Draft 2.0: Who Should The Eagles Choose At No. 32?

I think they should choose a trade. Maybe move down about 8-10 spots and pick up an extra 3rd round pick. Grab best player available for both picks. Hopefully they can grab either a O-Lineman or a TE in round 2, also possibly a RB or WR or even a LB. Grab 2 of these in the first two rounds for depth. Not sure who will be available in rounds 4-6 but Douglas will grab someone who will help in ST the first year plus provide depth somewhere and eventually start down the road.

Looks like NFL Clubs are playing a hard stance on FA players who have protested during the Anthem. I know most don't care, but there were enough who did to make the owners hesitant. Eric Reid is a prime example. He is a solid Safety yet no team has offered him an extended contract. I have no issue but many in my family are on the other end of the spectrum. I guess maybe it has served its purpose as the NFL has placed cash in the efforts for "Fixing" racial injustice. Somehow these cities need to put a clamp down on their officers who cross the line. Once people start seeing this, maybe, just maybe we can start moving on.....

I'm not going to post names of who i'd say they should draft because it's not really possible to know who will be available. Yes, there are 'givens' but i'm not a big fan of hypotheticals.

While I am on the BPA train, I do believe it has to be triangulated somewhat with focus on what would benefit us the most. Therefore, i'm just posting positions that I think should be drafted in order of my preference:

LB
S
OT
TE
RB

1 hour ago, Swoopin' said:

I'm not going to post names of who i'd say they should draft because it's not really possible to know who will be available. Yes, there are 'givens' but i'm not a big fan of hypotheticals.

While I am on the BPA train, I do believe it has to be triangulated somewhat with focus on what would benefit us the most. Therefore, i'm just posting positions that I think should be drafted in order of my preference:

LB
S
OT
TE
RB

Okay Swoop. Here goes!

LB - Roquan Smith

S - Fitzpatrick or James

OT - McGlinchey, Wynn or Nelson

TE - Hayden Hurst

RB - Barkley

These should be your guys. If any of them are available at 32 the Eagles should take one. If not, trade back. These 7 guys are all solid first round picks. Other players favored to the Eagles would be a stretch at pick 32.

You guys know much more than I this year. I have not looked at anything to be honest as far as the draft goes. Feeling is why bother? We will probably trade back anyway and no way to know where we will pick. Previous years we were fairly certain where we were gonna pick and needed to fill some holes. This year we are fairly solid.... Not sure on TE, LB or RB... But we also need O-Line help. Unlike Swoop, I feel a OG that can also play center may be the pick as they are a stronger position this year....

I only know names that get tossed out there, I definitely don't put any "couch work" into tape. :D

Wrang, ty for some names! lol   I had also seen names for S being Reid and Jeremy Reaves. As for TE I had also seen Ertz' protégé Dalton Schultz mentioned. Thoughts on either of them?

here and here respectively. But again, I don't get bogged down in details. I keep it broad so I can appear to be able to hang in the conversation!

Nevertheless, I too am a proponent of trading down if any of the names the team has ranked as "top 32" isn't there  as to get day 2/3 pick(s).

Honestly, I hate this time of year and all the speculation. Just not my cup of tea, but there isn't anything else to read about.

15 minutes ago, stine said:

You guys know much more than I this year. I have not looked at anything to be honest as far as the draft goes. Feeling is why bother? We will probably trade back anyway and no way to know where we will pick. Previous years we were fairly certain where we were gonna pick and needed to fill some holes. This year we are fairly solid.... Not sure on TE, LB or RB... But we also need O-Line help. Unlike Swoop, I feel a OG that can also play center may be the pick as they are a stronger position this year....

Yeah I think we have our differences on this one, buddy. Although I can't argue the OG argument because it does make sense.

I've seen a lot of people post about drafting a LB.   I just don't see it.  we play 2 LBs most of the time.  We have Hicks and Bradam.  Kendricks still on the roster and we just signed 2 LBs in FA.   I can understand you just don't know the future... but I wouldn't draft one with the first pick just because Hicks had a couple injuries.  Kelce was injured a lot early too... so I think I would let that play out.   OL to me would be more paramount ... even though that pick probably wouldn't even see the field this year.    I'm all for getting some skill position guys in here too.   S for sure as I think it helps with ST and then you can dump McCloud's contract next year unless he proves to earn it.  

Another issue about LB... everyone keeps talkign about Schwartz leaving, so with that in mind, do you draft a guy to play backup LB now, not knowing how he would fit in later???  IDK

I usually get into it the last week or so, but pick 32 and a solid team, too many outcomes ... I'm going old school, when I used to just look at the Sunday paper after it was done and read up on the picks once its over.  Sometimes lookign at the draft as a whole, not when each guy was taken seems like a better way to judge.   Like I said a million times before... with each pick there will be more negative, because we can only take one guy at a time, and we pass up every one else.   I can't wait until we pass on a guy in round 5 and someone gets fired up...LOL  Go EAGLES!!!    

1 hour ago, Swoopin' said:

I only know names that get tossed out there, I definitely don't put any "couch work" into tape. :D

Wrang, ty for some names! lol   I had also seen names for S being Reid and Jeremy Reaves. As for TE I had also seen Ertz' protégé Dalton Schultz mentioned. Thoughts on either of them?

here and here respectively. But again, I don't get bogged down in details. I keep it broad so I can appear to be able to hang in the conversation!

Nevertheless, I too am a proponent of trading down if any of the names the team has ranked as "top 32" isn't there  as to get day 2/3 pick(s).

Honestly, I hate this time of year and all the speculation. Just not my cup of tea, but there isn't anything else to read about.

Swoop, Being retired I have a little more time to spend on looking at football talent than some of you guys that are still busting your tail bringing home the bacon. It is sort of a hobby for me as an amateur talent evaluator. I enjoy it but I have to say that I am better evaluating some positions over others. Then you have guys like Joe and DC that are into the cap space and  contracts because that is their cup of tea. It is not mine however I can understand why it would be interesting to them. The names I gave you were according to your team priorities and there were actually 8 names. My priorities are a little different than yours so I could add a couple more names to the list but you get my drift. The Eagles have their priorities as well so the names could change some what from our lists. That is what makes it fun to me. Trying to figure out if I am on the same page as they are. LOL Never the less, I figure the Eagles will have about 12 players on their list that they would be willing to take at 32 if one of them falls to 32. Of course the Eagles aren't expecting any of these 12 guys to be around at 32 so they are planning for any contingency.

I believe you are confusing TE Dalton Shultz (my pick) with TE Dallas Geodert as far as being an Ertz protege. Geodert is being compared to Ertz. Shultz is graduating from Stanford like Ertz did. Maybe that is the confusion. Ertz trains with Shultz in the off season and would like the Eagles to draft him. Shultz is expected to go somewhere between the 3rd and 4th rounds. Goedert between the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Shultz is the better blocker and Geodert the better pass catcher. Safety Reid wouldn't bother me a bit however IMO he is a reach at pick 32. More like a second rounder. Reaves is sort of a feel good story but is not a first round pick. More like 4th or 5th round.

1 hour ago, stine said:

Stine, The Eagles just did something they never have done before! It is easy to get side tracked when you have attained your goal. LOL If I wasn't retired I wouldn't be paying as close of attention to the players either. Plus our draft picks are not so great this year but my opinion is that this year gives our talent evaluators a great chance to shine. If they can pull some diamonds out of the rough this year. they are worth their weight in gold.

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

I've seen a lot of people post about drafting a LB.   I just don't see it.  we play 2 LBs most of the time.  We have Hicks and Bradam.  Kendricks still on the roster and we just signed 2 LBs in FA.   I can understand you just don't know the future... but I wouldn't draft one with the first pick just because Hicks had a couple injuries.  Kelce was injured a lot early too... so I think I would let that play out.   OL to me would be more paramount ... even though that pick probably wouldn't even see the field this year.    I'm all for getting some skill position guys in here too.   S for sure as I think it helps with ST and then you can dump McCloud's contract next year unless he proves to earn it.  

Another issue about LB... everyone keeps talkign about Schwartz leaving, so with that in mind, do you draft a guy to play backup LB now, not knowing how he would fit in later???  IDK

I usually get into it the last week or so, but pick 32 and a solid team, too many outcomes ... I'm going old school, when I used to just look at the Sunday paper after it was done and read up on the picks once its over.  Sometimes lookign at the draft as a whole, not when each guy was taken seems like a better way to judge.   Like I said a million times before... with each pick there will be more negative, because we can only take one guy at a time, and we pass up every one else.   I can't wait until we pass on a guy in round 5 and someone gets fired up...LOL  Go EAGLES!!!    

Joe, I tend to agree with you about not taking a linebacker in the first round but if LB Roquan Smith would happen to fall to pick 32, I am not walking but running up to the podium with my pick. Can't turn down the best linebacker in the draft. Even if we just brought two more in.

I think Center James Daniels from Iowa at pick 32 is just about the right spot for him to go. This kid is pretty much a carbon copy of Kelce. Both guys are 6ft 3in and roughly 300 pounds. Kelce runs a 4.89 40 and Daniels runs a 5.0 40. Daniels has been compared to Kelce more than any other center because of his athleticism. He wouldn't  be a bad pick at 32 even if he has to sit the bench for a year or so. 

7 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Okay Swoop. Here goes!

LB - Roquan Smith

S - Fitzpatrick or James

OT - McGlinchey, Wynn or Nelson

TE - Hayden Hurst

RB - Barkley

These should be your guys. If any of them are available at 32 the Eagles should take one. If not, trade back. These 7 guys are all solid first round picks. Other players favored to the Eagles would be a stretch at pick 32.

Seriously Bark won't be there.I'm looking at a trade back maybe grabbing Royce Freeman early in round 2

I like LB for Day 1 for long term stability. It also provides room for potential trade, whether it be this year or the next. Hicks has not yet proven he can stay on the field. I like both him and Kendricks but Bradham is the only one we can really count on right now barring any injury, but that's applicable across the board. Just moreso with Hicks. Corey Nelsen does have some upside though, which I happily concede. He's got potential.

11 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Seriously Bark won't be there.I'm looking at a trade back maybe grabbing Royce Freeman early in round 2

GB, I don't expect any of the guys I listed to be there at pick 32. That is the point. If one of them is there, they should be considered. If not , drop down. You have to have two to Tango though. Otherwise you are forced to reach for a player at pick 32 that should be taken later in the second round.

52 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

Interesting article on TE Richard Rodgers (AKA D#ck-Rod) that we brought in from GB. This goes in line a lot more with what Stine was saying about the guy having a potentially big impact:

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/richard-rodgers-sees-new-life-eagles

Yes I read about Rogers before. Unless you are a devout Packers fan, it is hard to say what happened over there with Rogers. If I had to take a guess it would be a combination of things. 1. Last year Rogers wasn't throwing to him the whole season. 2. The year he had his greatest season I believe Jordy Nelson was hurt and Rogers got more chances. I think the article stated that he got the second most chances and was only behind their other Receiver Randall Cobb. 3. Because the Packers have had a lousy defense lately, they have been playing from behind a lot which means Rogers has been throwing the ball further down the field than the other Rogers can get. He is not a speed merchant. He can get open on shorter passes though so it should be interesting to see how he does with his new team.

Ertz got 68 percent of the snaps last year and he missed two games entirely or he would have gotten more. Celek got 465 snaps last year and Burton got 300 snaps. Okay, both of these guys are gone now and we are trying to replace their production. If Rogers can block, he can pick up Celek's production in that capacity however I have read by Packers fans that he is not a good blocker so now I am thinking that Rogers could be battling it out with a couple other guys for Burton's snaps. Still haven't seen anyone yet that can pick up Celek's blocking production so I am still going to say I like Dalton Shultz from Stanford in that capacity in the third round if we have a third round pick. The consensus pick at TE for the Eagles by the experts is Dallas Geodert and I don't have a problem with him other than I don't see how he is going to get on the field. His strong suit is catching the ball not blocking although he isn't terrible at it. He is sort like Ertz was when he first was drafted. How many years has it taken Ertz to learn to block? I think 2017 was his first good year in that capacity. I really believe that Shultz can block as good as Celek right now! He is a plug and play TE in the blocking scheme and he has a pretty good set of hands.

22 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Yes I read about Rogers before. Unless you are a devout Packers fan, it is hard to say what happened over there with Rogers. If I had to take a guess it would be a combination of things. 1. Last year Rogers wasn't throwing to him the whole season. 2. The year he had his greatest season I believe Jordy Nelson was hurt and Rogers got more chances. I think the article stated that he got the second most chances and was only behind their other Receiver Randall Cobb. 3. Because the Packers have had a lousy defense lately, they have been playing from behind a lot which means Rogers has been throwing the ball further down the field than the other Rogers can get. He is not a speed merchant. He can get open on shorter passes though so it should be interesting to see how he does with his new team.

Ertz got 68 percent of the snaps last year and he missed two games entirely or he would have gotten more. Celek got 465 snaps last year and Burton got 300 snaps. Okay, both of these guys are gone now and we are trying to replace their production. If Rogers can block, he can pick up Celek's production in that capacity however I have read by Packers fans that he is not a good blocker so now I am thinking that Rogers could be battling it out with a couple other guys for Burton's snaps. Still haven't seen anyone yet that can pick up Celek's blocking production so I am still going to say I like Dalton Shultz from Stanford in that capacity in the third round if we have a third round pick. The consensus pick at TE for the Eagles by the experts is Dallas Geodert and I don't have a problem with him other than I don't see how he is going to get on the field. His strong suit is catching the ball not blocking although he isn't terrible at it. He is sort like Ertz was when he first was drafted. How many years has it taken Ertz to learn to block? I think 2017 was his first good year in that capacity. I really believe that Shultz can block as good as Celek right now! He is a plug and play TE in the blocking scheme and he has a pretty good set of hands.

Wrang I posted a mock with Dalton in it/Although I am not doing 500 mocks this year,I had to try ONE.I used fanspeak but replaced our 32 pick with a 56 and a 3rd round 78 pick.I did select 2 OT's in that mock,I would like to see the ongoing competition for that spot so 2 more would give us a better chance of finding one we can keep

The mock and my "long shot " WR  pick annually are in the Lombardi thread.Really like to have that kid from USF with our final pick.He has Skilz that can be coached up

SO I will repost it here TRADE BACK FROM 32  then 2-56-Kerryon Johnson-RB(and/or Royce Freeman) 3-78-Jamarco Jones-OT-Ohio State rd 4 picks-Dalton Schultz-TE-Stanford,Will Richardson-OT-NC State,round 5-Troy Apke-S-Penn State round 6-Leon Jacobs-LB-Wisconsin and 7 my WR pick Scantling-USF

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Wrang I posted a mock with Dalton in it/Although I am not doing 500 mocks this year,I had to try ONE.I used fanspeak but replaced our 32 pick with a 56 and a 3rd round 78 pick.I did select 2 OT's in that mock,I would like to see the ongoing competition for that spot so 2 more would guve us a better chance of finding one we can keep

Just read an article yesterday that said the Eagles may be in need of a DE because Graham is looking for 15 mil a year money and even if he was worth that kind of money the Eagles aren't going to pay him that much with Wentz's contract coming up. The suggestion was to take the kid from Wake Forest ( Duke Ejiofor) as he was rated right behind Chubb in this talent evaluators eyes. They have him going somewhere in the second to third round due to him missing the combine because he was recovering from a torn labrum. These are the kind of guys we should be looking at because if we move back in the draft, we have a shot at getting these guys.

In that case Davenport deserves a look.he fits our mold of "class with no drama" lol

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

In that case Davenport deserves a look.he fits our mold of "class with no drama" lol

See article posted above