Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Fan Mock Draft 2.0: Who Should The Eagles Choose At No. 32?

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Which position do you think we can actually get a day 1 starter?   I don't really see one.   And to be honest, normally I'm looking for those type of guys ... but to me, if I van get some good solid role players in bulk, thatwould be a great draft for me this year.   2nd TE, RB in the committee... quality 3rd safety, a solid #4 or #3 WR type... even some solid back up OL, DL or LBs.  Guys that can also contribue on special teams.   Having those type of guys in volume is a key part to winning.  At least it was for this team last year.  That is why I think they trade down.  

Disclosure: I have not, am not capable of, nor do I want to go through all the possible hypotheticals. You spun me right round, baby, with your earlier 1st for two 4ths to flip to a 3rd and 2nd and twist!

But what i'm saying is if we can make a big enough trade to move up and get someone like LVE or McGlinchey, I say go for it. That is if the situation is possible. Waay easier said that done, but not impossible by any means. Otherwise, wait til we're on the clock, evaluate if our perceived next BPA is worth more than, say, what a 2nd round and 3rd round guy is worth to us, and make the decision. If he's worth more to us now than what 2 later drafted people will be, take him. If not, trade back.

11 minutes ago, stine said:

Can this possibly make him stfu about collusion?  They've been in court for like a week or more. But that's pretty clear to me - SEA is interested, therefore the entire league has not colluded against him.

18 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Which position do you think we can actually get a day 1 starter?   I don't really see one.   And to be honest, normally I'm looking for those type of guys ... but to me, if I van get some good solid role players in bulk, thatwould be a great draft for me this year.   2nd TE, RB in the committee... quality 3rd safety, a solid #4 or #3 WR type... even some solid back up OL, DL or LBs.  Guys that can also contribue on special teams.   Having those type of guys in volume is a key part to winning.  At least it was for this team last year.  That is why I think they trade down.  

For what it's worth, i'm gonna be happy with the outcome you've surmised as well. In fact, I really don't think i'm gonna be disappointed with anything the team does at the draft. I'm pretty damn content with what we have and whatever else we add, excellent! I'd love to see the sexy pick - some butt kicking RB and dominant WR, because, yeah that's just plain fun to get. lol  but whatever they do, we're SB champs and we're only getting better.

Just now, Swoopin' said:

For what it's worth, i'm gonna be happy with the outcome you've surmised as well. In fact, I really don't think i'm gonna be disappointed with anything the team does at the draft.

Swoop, Ive never been disappointed in the draft as it happens.  I don't watch college... not since Penn State and Washington were co national champs.  I like the outcome to be decided on the field, not the press, plus I started working Saturdays, then recovering from going out Fridays, before going out Sat night again...lol   So I lost interest.  The 40 point spreads, one foot in bounds, a knee touching without defensive contact being down, too many broken tackles...etc.  It's just not for me.  I did watch Temple vs Notre Dame a couple of years ago though.   

Anyhow, I have no idea about players you just mentioned ... just stating that this year, I just don't see them drafting a day 1 starter.  think they have all the starters in place, barring injury.   Also, its the first time I actually looked to understand how the rookie's get paid and effect the cap.  I don't see them trading up and taking on the cap hit.  Maybe if they trade Kendricks ... but they can't keep him and trade up, no room to do much else.  I don't think Howie would do that.   Me, no preference, just talking what I think they will look to do.  

You know guys, thinking about drafting a starter at 32 reminded me that the Eagles rotate a lot of players in a lot of positions. Of course the D-line. Look where Barnett was drafted last year. He could have been a starter on other teams but not with this team. Was he a major cog in the wheel? Absolutely This team had three safties on the field last year quite a bit.  I think it is possible that the Eagles can draft a potential major cog in the wheel at 32 depending on what position they take. Safety, yep. TE, yep, LB Yep RB Yep.  Offensive line Nope, WR, Nope, DT or DE, nope. 

One thing is for sure, Wentz's next contract is going to really affect the team. It is easy to see why the Eagles are going to want more starters on rookie contracts going forward. They really have to do their home work on guys they intend to draft to take over for other starters.   Not sure if Graham, will get resigned or for how much,  Mcleod 8.4 mil for 2018, Jenkins 10.1 mil for 2018. Kendricks 7.6 mil for 2018.  Ajayi, Hicks, Darby on last year of their contracts are going to want to be paid. After this 2018 season I believe we are going to have to get three more starters on the field under rookie contracts. Maybe those anticipations will dictate this years draft. Might not need to hit on a starter this year with pick number 32 as long as the individual is a starter at the beginning of 2019. 

On 4/11/2018 at 3:16 PM, joemas6 said:

I like all the theories ... one thing that needs to be taken into consideration is where they are at with their cap and their QB due a big salary soon.   Trading up a few times here means they would have to spend more for those players and take bigger cap hits.  These hits go on each of the next 4 years (could be 5 on a 1st round pick)   I'm not sure they want to go that route, especially taking into condideration the roster is pretty solid and really no room for a starter via the draft.   Could a starter be drafted?   Not sure who would lose their job  (punter aside) ????

Anyhow, the other thing I see is that the positions they are probably looking to fill, are usually the ones thy don't like to take in the first round.   RB, TE, S ... or as a lot have said LB too.   I could see trading down and then taking one of those positions in early round 2 and going from there.   My gut tells me if they stay at 32 they take OL.  

Every year we have all these theories ...and like clock work since ... Jerry Robinson, Michael Haddix and Keith Jackson .... they haven't taken those positions (thats 30 years) ... its been QB, OL, DL, CB or WR.    I don't see QB, CB or WR at 32.  Seems like the DL prospects aren't that great around 32 and or DL is currently stacked!   OL seems to be the logical choice.    Until 30 years of drafting changes, I have to lean that way

Welp should be JP's last year,that cap will get freed up,so I have NP moving up to get a decent OT in this camp for when that happens,you couldalso say the same about the RB position I suppose.Wentz seems very happy here,I believe he will work with the team on his future salary.In this draft we may not have to move much to achieve those goals,our talent scouts have been terrific!!! SO we shall see.We used to say the future is NOW,it is but it's not as pressing an issue for me,we got what I wanted the PIPELINE started.If Wentz wants to keep winning,then he will work with the team(aka Brady with the Pats).TIme will tell but I believe Howie has his plans for the next 2-3 years as to what goals he wants to reach

11 hours ago, trini said:

@joemas6Your trade down scenario works for me picking up  2nd's and 3rd, there will be some good talent at those positions like RB, TE, LB.   I have been stuck on Guice as the RB I would choose especially as a player reportedly Asst HC  Duce Staley was high on. It wouldn't surprise me if Duce gets the call. I just don't think Guice will be there at 32. Though QB is unlikely, if Foles gets traded on Draft Day, that could come into play.  Other than Keith Byers we haven't picked a RB in the first round? wow... Maybe that finally changes this year. Lol.

Yeah check out my "trade down" mock I did.Those are still decent enough players we can get to groom for later.I would be happy trading back,letting Guice go and getting Kerryon johnson in the 2nd AND that missing 3rd rounder we could use

8 hours ago, stine said:

I got one word for that nitwit,it starts with an F,you can figger out the rest lol,yeah talks about opression wearing a Guevara T shirt? Hypocrit I don;t want to ever see suit up

10 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Well the two teams rumored to be wanting pick 32 thus far are the Chiefs and the Packers. That 32nd pick is valued at 590 points. The Chiefs have 8 picks this year but no first rounder. The Chiefs have the 54 pick 2nd rounder valued at (360) points and two 3rd round picks 78 (200points)and 86(160 points), 2 4th round picks 122 (50 points) 124 (48 points) 1 6th and 2 7th rounders. Should be able to make a deal here.

The Packers have 11 picks this year with pick 14 in round one.  They have pick 45 in the second round valued at (450 points). pick 76 in the 3rd round (210 points) pick 100 in the 4th 100 points, three 5th round picks, 2 6th round picks  and two 7th rounders. Ought to be able to get a deal done here as well.  

I personally believe that both of these teams could use Mychal Kendricks or Ronald Darby or both on their defenses. Maybe the Eagles trade pick 32 and one of these two players to either one of these teams during the draft for more picks or to move up in the draft with another team altogether.

I had 56 and 78 in my mock-pretty close eh???

9 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Another rumor that Jon Gruden and the Raiders want to move back in the draft. Anyone want pick number 10? LOL

Bet Miami would lol

11 hours ago, joemas6 said:

BG... I just  realized...  you haven't seen them draft those RB, TE, S and LB spots in the first round for your entire life...LOL

Nope highest TE I have seen drafted was 2nd round which was Ertz honestly think all those positions highest round has been 2nd...RB was Shady, S was Nate Allen(Was jaquan Jarrett a 2nd or 3rd rounder don't remember hmmmm)  and LB was kendricks 

47 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Welp should be JP's last year,

Not that I disagree but we have been saying JP is going to hang it up know for awhile......This man wants to play and win a SB....The win last year was no doubt bitter sweet for him.....I would not be shocked to see him play out this final contract so after the 2019 season especially if we fall short of a repeat 

9 hours ago, joemas6 said:

just stating that this year, I just don't see them drafting a day 1 starter

This is likely the truth no real spot for a guy to step in and take over at.....Injuries could happen where the new rook would have to fill in or he might have a prominent role in the O or D but not sure he starts day 1......RB,TE,S think all these guys could come in day 1 and contribute the 3 positions I like the most for us right now plus I think they have the best value for where we are picking whether that is 32 or we opt to move back into round 2 a little  

5 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

RB- Guice, Michel, Chubb, Jones

I'm interested to know where people think that Chubb and Michel are actually going to end up going? I mean at one point Chubb was going to be one of the very best but at this point is he a round 3 guy? And what about Michel? Could he see himself go in the first if Barkley and Guice end up going early? 

9 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Not that I disagree but we have been saying JP is going to hang it up know for awhile......This man wants to play and win a SB....The win last year was no doubt bitter sweet for him.....I would not be shocked to see him play out this final contract so after the 2019 season especially if we fall short of a repeat 

It is obvious to me that Peters is calling the shots on when he retires and not Eagles management. You never know though, the Eagles finally made a tough decision on fan favorite Celek this year and the decision should probably have been made a year or two ago. I am going to stick my neck out and predict that the only way Peters comes back after the 2018 season is if he plays all 16 games in 2018 injury free. The only way I see that happening is if they give him a blow every once in a while. Let Big-V continue to get playing time even though Peters is back. 

Since most of us are in agreement that the Eagles will take a TE in this draft somewhere, I thought I would list the top 25 TE's in NFL history and what round they were drafted. You may or may not agree with all of these names however I would have to say that the list is pretty accurate.

25. Jeremy Shockey - 1st round

24. Brent Jones - 5th round

23. Jay Novacek - 6th round

22. Riley Odoms - 1st round

21. Vernon Davis - 1st round

20. Heath Miller - 1st round

19. Dallas Clark - 1st round

18. Kieth Jackson - 1st round

17. Todd Christensen - 2nd round

16. Charlie Sanders - 3rd round

15. Ben Coates - 5th round

14. Jerry Smith - 9th round

13. Jimmy Graham - 3rd round

12. Jackie Smith - 10th round

11. Greg Olsen- 1st round

10. Dave Casper- 2nd round

9. Jason Witten - 3rd round

8. John Mackey - 2nd round

7. Mike Ditka - 1st round

6. Ozzie Newsome - 1st round

5. Kellen Winslow - 1st round

4. Rob Gronkowski - 2nd round

3. Shannon Sharp - 7th round

2. Antonio Gates - undrafted free agent

1. Tony Gonzalez - 1st round

So 11 out of the 25 all time best TE's were taken in the first round and 4 were taken in the second round. It just goes to show you that taking a TE high in the draft is not a wasted pick. If you want a good one, get him early in the draft.

The problem with drafting a high level TE is that we already have one. Are we looking to draft Ertz' eventual replacement or are we looking for someone to somewhat fill the role of Trey Burton, someone whom we may already have in Rodgers and or Brown? I don't see us using a high level pick to get a TE simply just because he can block and we need to replace Celek. In my mind that's a free agent gimme.

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

It is obvious to me that Peters is calling the shots on when he retires and not Eagles management. You never know though, the Eagles finally made a tough decision on fan favorite Celek this year and the decision should probably have been made a year or two ago. I am going to stick my neck out and predict that the only way Peters comes back after the 2018 season is if he plays all 16 games in 2018 injury free. The only way I see that happening is if they give him a blow every once in a while. Let Big-V continue to get playing time even though Peters is back. 

Wrang, IDK ... Peters was playing at an elite level before the injury.  His salary and cap hit are pretty low for an elite LT.   Celek was a fan favorite, but the production wasn't there, not even at Celek's best would he come close to what Peters was giving you last year.  I think that is why the Eagles aren't in a rush to say goodbye.  I can't blame them, especially at this stage.  If he comes back strong, it will be tough to release a top LT.    Now, I don't think he gets any "rest" as far as giving Big V snaps ... unless its a blowout and maybe you change your QB.  But coming in and out of the game, for a "blow"  I don't see it.  I could see taking days off during the week though, not snaps during the game.  

2019 will be more of cap relief thoughif they do release Peters, so we shall see.  I think maybe they rework something though.  Tough call because it will be Big V's last year on rookie deal.. do they want to give him more of a look?   IDK?

24 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

The problem with drafting a high level TE is that we already have one. Are we looking to draft Ertz' eventual replacement or are we looking for someone to somewhat fill the role of Trey Burton, someone whom we may already have in Rodgers and or Brown? I don't see us using a high level pick to get a TE simply just because he can block and we need to replace Celek. In my mind that's a free agent gimme.

Yeah, not pick #32 ... but in a trade down scenario, it would makes sense to take a good TE as a BPA ...say early round 2 or if they can get a 3rd rounder.   I would assume they have a few targets in mind.  Really, if they could nail day 3 of this draft, it would be the best case scenario.  

1 hour ago, Swoopin' said:

The problem with drafting a high level TE is that we already have one.

NFL is an evolving game why can't you have two high powered TE.....Doug is creative enough to get both guys on the field 

35 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Wrang, IDK ... Peters was playing at an elite level before the injury.  His salary and cap hit are pretty low for an elite LT.   Celek was a fan favorite, but the production wasn't there, not even at Celek's best would he come close to what Peters was giving you last year.  I think that is why the Eagles aren't in a rush to say goodbye.  I can't blame them, especially at this stage.  If he comes back strong, it will be tough to release a top LT.    Now, I don't think he gets any "rest" as far as giving Big V snaps ... unless its a blowout and maybe you change your QB.  But coming in and out of the game, for a "blow"  I don't see it.  I could see taking days off during the week though, not snaps during the game.  

2019 will be more of cap relief thoughif they do release Peters, so we shall see.  I think maybe they rework something though.  Tough call because it will be Big V's last year on rookie deal.. do they want to give him more of a look?   IDK?

Well there are different opinions from the fans with Peters as well. Obviously he is a fan favorite and we would like to see guys like him finish their careers in Philly but when dollars and sense get in the way of that happening then that is a different story. There has to be a little cooperation from the player as well if he wants to finish his career with the team. Can't be one sided. It may be hard to take this stance but the Eagles won the Super Bowl last year without Peters, Hicks, and Sproles, on the field. I will say that if Wentz is on the field at the beginning of the season and Peters is healthy, he may not get a blow due to wanting to protect the investment, however later in the year I would rest him when I could and let Big-V get some reps. Big-V is the future whether it be a starter or first guy off the bench. If he is good enough to start in a Super Bowl, he is good enough to relieve Peters to keep him healthy. I am also one of those fans that believes Lane Johnson should stay on the right side no matter what. I am not in favor of moving him to the left side when Peters goes. So those of you that want the Eagles to draft OT Mike McGlinchey and put him on the right side and move Johnson to the left side, I am not in favor of that at all. Either McGlinchey plays the left Tackle position or I am not interested in his services. JMO 

As far as the cap relief next year maybe we won't need as much as I think we will but both Jenkins and Mcleod salaries go up next year from the 10.1 and 7.6 mil they will get paid this year. I believe Kendricks salary will also be higher next year as well.  Howie does have an ace in the hole though if he wants. He could trade Graham during the draft and snatch up another DE on a rookie contract to break in this year. We have the guys to fill in for Graham this year if he is traded. Howie may decide that 15 mil a year is too much for Graham even if he is worth it.

Just now, BleedingGreen93 said:

NFL is an evolving game why can't you have two high powered TE.....Doug is creative enough to get both guys on the field 

Has Ertz played an entire 16 game season yet without getting hurt?

In my opinion, in order to be a first round TE you can't be one dimensional. A first rounder has to be good at pass catching and equally good at blocking. These types of TE's don't come around too often and that is why I see all but one TE in this year's draft as 2nd rounders or lower. Hayden Hurst is the only  TE worthy of a first round pick this year. Assuming he will not be around at pick 32, IMO it would be a stretch taking any of the others at 32. For some reason I keep coming back to LB,RB or S at that pick. I believe the best value will be at those three positions.

9 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I guess.. but that's why I say bring back Sproles and dial up plays that were once dedicated to Burton with designed plays for him.

I guess my own issue to deal with is my faith in Brown stepping up. My hot take for the day is that Brown fills the role enough that we don't even notice not having Burton.

Lets start a poll! Who signs Dez? LOL  First question, will it be some team in the NFC East?

I say Dez signs with the Ravens!