Sign in to follow this  
LA_Eagle_Fan

All right, I need any information you have about coming to Philly and the Linc

The schedule's out, and after months of hoping/praying that the Birds would be playing at the Linc on Oct. 7, I got my wish. That's when I have a break from work and can finally...FINALLY...fly to Philly for the first time. My plan right now (which could change) is to fly in on Saturday (time TBD), catch the game on Sunday, and explore Philly on my own Monday (and possibly Tuesday if I need another day to see the whole city). I'll take any recommendations you have: what to do, what to see, where to eat, how early should I get to the Linc, etc.

My recommendations:

*Stay at a hotel in Center City, and NOT at the Holiday Inn near the stadium complex.  Part of your intent for this trip is to check out Philadelphia, and you can best do that by staying in Center City (where many of the most interesting attractions are located).

*Take the SEPTA Broad Street Line to/from the game - if you stay in Center City, getting to a Broad Street Line station will be easy, and much cheaper than taxis or Uber/Lyft.

*Assuming you don't rent a car, take the SEPTA Airport Line to/from the airport and Center City - my comments above about travel to/from Lincoln Financial Field also apply here.

*Check out Reading Terminal Market, Old City, Rittenhouse Square area, Franklin Institute, Independence Hall (get down there early for your free tour ticket), maybe South Street, and at least 1-2 cheesesteak places that AREN'T Pat's or Geno's - all of the places mentioned, plus some of the cheesesteak places (like Jim's on South Street or Steve's Prince of Steaks near 16th and Chestnut), are all in Center City, though some are a good bit of a walk from each other.  Center City Philadelphia is very walkable however, so hitting all of those places over a couple days shouldn't be a problem.

Double tree hilton is where i stayed right next to train line and only a few feet from city hall. 

You have to do the Rocky steps and just round the corner from there is eastern state penn which is a good prison to visit. (al capone was locked up in there).

If possible do the linc tour but be aware they do not do tours on day of the game. I didnt have chance to do and am planning to do at some point. 

I got to the game abt 2 hrs before and had a few drinks in xfinity live outside the stadium.

16 hours ago, LA_Eagle_Fan said:

The schedule's out, and after months of hoping/praying that the Birds would be playing at the Linc on Oct. 7, I got my wish. That's when I have a break from work and can finally...FINALLY...fly to Philly for the first time. My plan right now (which could change) is to fly in on Saturday (time TBD), catch the game on Sunday, and explore Philly on my own Monday (and possibly Tuesday if I need another day to see the whole city). I'll take any recommendations you have: what to do, what to see, where to eat, how early should I get to the Linc, etc.

Spend the $ and reserve the Independence Hall Ticket ahead of time. You have to pick up the tickets an hour before the reservation but at least you are guaranteed..  if you really want to see it.  It is the only historical spot in town that takes reservations, unless you want to check out the MINT as well.  https://www.recreation.gov/tourParkDetail.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=77815

fly in on friday if possible... spend saturday at either a sixers or flyers game =)

Downtown is definitely the way to go. There really isn't much to see around the stadium so you shouldn't even bother with that part of the city except for the game itself.

And the subway would be ideal for getting to the game. The last stop on the line drops you off right at the stadium. Well, close to it.

On 4/20/2018 at 5:21 PM, Scrapple said:

fly in on friday if possible... spend saturday at either a sixers or flyers game =)

The 76ers will still be in preseason, and the Flyers season will probably just be starting (though it is possible they won't be at home).

A better bet would be to attend a Phillies playoff game on the Saturday or Monday, whichever day they are home. :D  Another, more definite possibility is Temple football; they are at home on Saturday 10/6 (hosting East Carolina); that would provide an opportunity to check out Lincoln Financial Field in a less crowded setting.  (And speaking as someone who also follows Temple football in addition to the Eagles and typically attends a couple Owls games per season, those games are inexpensive and fun too.  I like sitting in the Club Level for Temple games.)

Oh I won't be going to any games played by other teams. I'm an LA guy through and through. Luckily, the Eagles grabbed me by the balls before I could consider LA home, and the LA teams moving away in 1995 made it easy to remain a Birds fan.

UPDATE: The cheapest seated ticket I've found for the Vikings game so far has been $163 as of this post. Should I pull the trigger or wait for prices to drop more?

4 hours ago, LA_Eagle_Fan said:

UPDATE: The cheapest seated ticket I've found for the Vikings game so far has been $163 as of this post. Should I pull the trigger or wait for prices to drop more?

If you're looking just for a single and don't care where you sit, yeah, you're likely to see something much lower as it gets closer. 

19 hours ago, LA_Eagle_Fan said:

No way you can get off for September 6th? THAT will be THE game to be at, if for no other reason than the banner.

21 hours ago, the noid said:

If you're looking just for a single and don't care where you sit, yeah, you're likely to see something much lower as it gets closer. 

How long should I wait?

6 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

No way you can get off for September 6th? THAT will be THE game to be at, if for no other reason than the banner.

Not happening. I'm a teacher. I can only travel when there's a break designated by my school. Luckily for me, that's the week of October 7th, so I'm planning to hit up both the Vikings game at the Linc and the Thursday night game at MetLife.

5 hours ago, LA_Eagle_Fan said:

Not happening. I'm a teacher. I can only travel when there's a break designated by my school. Luckily for me, that's the week of October 7th, so I'm planning to hit up both the Vikings game at the Linc and the Thursday night game at MetLife.

I don't know, you sound like you're coming down with something. It may take about 6 weeks to fully manifest, but it sounds like the onset of the 6 week 48 hour flu. Better take those days off, you don't want the little tikes to get sick, do you? It's for THEIR own good!

12 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't know, you sound like you're coming down with something. It may take about 6 weeks to fully manifest, but it sounds like the onset of the 6 week 48 hour flu. Better take those days off, you don't want the little tikes to get sick, do you? It's for THEIR own good!

:lol::lol::lol::roll::roll::roll:

23 hours ago, LA_Eagle_Fan said:
On 7/16/2018 at 11:34 AM, the noid said:

How long should I wait?

You could wait until as late as the week of, all the way to day of when they will be lowest if you really want to gamble and get the absolute best deal. All the tickets are mobile now, so you get them instantly.

Or, wait until you see something in your budget in a decent section and pull the trigger for the peace of mind of having something in hand that outweighs saving another $20. 

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but you can buy a ticket from ticketmaster.com for $10 for a tour of the entire stadium, you'll go on field, press box and the locker room.If you go on Saturday before a game you'll get to see them painting the field and hanging the game jerseys in the locker room. hope this helps some.

On 8/1/2018 at 11:03 AM, Mspencer said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but you can buy a ticket from ticketmaster.com for $10 for a tour of the entire stadium, you'll go on field, press box and the locker room.If you go on Saturday before a game you'll get to see them painting the field and hanging the game jerseys in the locker room. hope this helps some.

They probably won't have that tour on Saturday 10/6 because Temple plays at home (vs East Carolina) that day, and the stadium staff will need to prep the field for the Eagles game the next day (if as is likely Temple plays an early afternoon game) or prep the field for the Temple game (if the Owls play in the later afternoon or evening that day).

On 7/17/2018 at 9:12 AM, LA_Eagle_Fan said:

I'm assuming you've already researched this, but your best bet for getting to MetLife Stadium from Philadelphia is to use the SEPTA Trenton Line and NJ Transit Northeast Corridor Line to Secaucus Junction and take the Meadowlands train from there to the stadium.  Getting back is a little trickier because it will be very late; your best transit option that gets you to Philadelphia at that time of night is to go into Manhattan after the game (using the Meadowlands train and a NJ Transit train going into the Big Apple at NY Penn Station; I think there are also direct NJ Transit buses to the Meadowlands from the Port Authority Bus Terminal) and then getting over to near the Javits Center to the primary Megabus stop in Manhattan is located and taking Megabus back to Philadelphia.  You could also take the NJ Transit Northeast Corridor Line back to Trenton, but SEPTA will not operate late enough for you to back to Center City Philadelphia, so you'd be on your own to make the rest of that roughly 30-35 mile trip.

55 minutes ago, CHIP72 said:

I'm assuming you've already researched this, but your best bet for getting to MetLife Stadium from Philadelphia is to use the SEPTA Trenton Line and NJ Transit Northeast Corridor Line to Secaucus Junction and take the Meadowlands train from there to the stadium.  Getting back is a little trickier because it will be very late; your best transit option that gets you to Philadelphia at that time of night is to go into Manhattan after the game (using the Meadowlands train and a NJ Transit train going into the Big Apple at NY Penn Station; I think there are also direct NJ Transit buses to the Meadowlands from the Port Authority Bus Terminal) and then getting over to near the Javits Center to the primary Megabus stop in Manhattan is located and taking Megabus back to Philadelphia.  You could also take the NJ Transit Northeast Corridor Line back to Trenton, but SEPTA will not operate late enough for you to back to Center City Philadelphia, so you'd be on your own to make the rest of that roughly 30-35 mile trip.

Thanks man, but I won't be coming back to Philly. I'll be staying at a place near MetLife and flying home to LA from JFK.

12 minutes ago, LA_Eagle_Fan said:

Thanks man, but I won't be coming back to Philly. I'll be staying at a place near MetLife and flying home to LA from JFK.

That will work much better.  Too bad you couldn't get a flight with a good price out of Newark; traveling to JFK from near the Meadowlands is a pain.

3 minutes ago, CHIP72 said:

That will work much better.  Too bad you couldn't get a flight with a good price out of Newark; traveling to JFK from near the Meadowlands is a pain.

Actually, the travel time by public transportation, according to Google, is about the same primarily because the travel through NYC is by subway/rail and through NJ is by bus.

Flight out of Newark was about the same price, but United doesn't let me use the overhead for basic economy, so I went with JetBlue out of JFK.