Boss Hawg

NFL Wants To Eliminate Kickoffs. Bucs HC Schiano Has An Alternative

Because of the Injuries suffered during kickoffs, the NFL wants to do away with them altogether. They have yet to come up with a legitimate alternative. However, Buccaneers HC Greg Schiano brought this idea up:

Schiano proposes that after a touchdown or field goal, the scoring team retains possession, getting the football on its own 30, facing fourth-and-15. The team either can go for it or punt it away. In effect, punts would replace kickoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000107256/article/greg-schiano-explains-idea-on-replacing-nfl-kickoffs

Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, Boss Hawg said:

Because of the Injuries suffered during kickoffs, the NFL wants to do away with them altogether. They have yet to come up with a legitimate alternative. However, Buccaneers HC Greg Schiano brought this idea up:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000107256/article/greg-schiano-explains-idea-on-replacing-nfl-kickoffs

Thoughts?

I think he basically lifted the idea from the American Alliance of Football.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_of_American_Football#Rules

https://aaf.com/

Eliminate them and let the drive after a td/fg start at the 25.  Most of them start there anyways now that they moved the kickoff spot up. 

My apologies. I didn't see the date. All I know is they referenced Schiano and his idea for kickoffs during a WIP broadcast this morning.

Although here is the updated article with the same idea:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/the-beginning-of-the-end-kickoffs-are-on-their-way-out-of-college-football/

Schiano suggested the scoring team take over the ball on its 30 on a fourth-and-15 play. The team can either punt it away -- in lieu of a kickoff -- or go for it as a method of retaining possession (rather than attempt an onside kick like today). Statistics show that injuries on punts aren't as bad for as frequent as on kickoffs.

I don’t like it for one reason. A high snap can result in a touchdown without the other team doing anything but beating the offense with a head start.

Umm... I don't like it and to be honest where is the difference? In fact surely from a punt there is a greater chance of the returner getting hit hard when making a catch? 

These guys know what they've signed up for - especially in this age of information - so with that being said:  LEAVE THE DAMN GAME ALONE ALREADY, IT'S BEEN CHANGED ENOUGH!!!!

4 hours ago, Boss Hawg said:

Thoughts?

i say change it....then watch big balls doug go for it on 4th & 15 every time and run the f'n philly special til they stop it!  :flex:       

6 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

This is from 2012.

I thought I was going crazy. When I saw Schiano I thought WTF? lol

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Umm... I don't like it and to be honest where is the difference? In fact surely from a punt there is a greater chance of the returner getting hit hard when making a catch? 

Fair catch, for one. Also the problem with kickoffs is the other guys. On a kickoff they are running at each other head on which is what they want to eliminate. On a punt, its everyone basically running together then engaging so there is no direct blow with momentum. 

I dont like it either

5 hours ago, leanmeangreenmachine said:

Fair catch, for one. Also the problem with kickoffs is the other guys. On a kickoff they are running at each other head on which is what they want to eliminate. On a punt, its everyone basically running together then engaging so there is no direct blow with momentum. 

I dont like it either

I mean yeah OK I see your point... But if you're going to do away with kick offs then do away with them completely and just have the other team start on their 25 yard line like with a touch back... 

47 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Problem with auto start at 25 is the necessity of onside kicks in late game 2 score situations.

But the onside kick would be null and void anyway because there would be no kick offs... 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But the onside kick would be null and void anyway because there would be no kick offs... 

Which would be a problem when a team is down 10 or 14 and they score a TD late. The other team would just kneel once they get auto possession.

3 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Which would be a problem when a team is down 10 or 14 and they score a TD late. The other team would just kneel once they get auto possession.

Yeah you're right I don't dispute that... I'm just saying that's an issue if they get rid of kick offs full stop bud. Having a team automatically start on their 25 is because you've gotten rid of the kick off and thus gotten rid of onside kicks. 

I think the replacement for an onsides kick attempt is having the option to try and convert a single offensive play for a 15 yard gain to keep possession. Not saying I like the idea, but it would be a viable option to getting the ball back when down by two or more scores late. 

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I think the replacement for an onsides kick attempt is having the option to try and convert a single offensive play for a 15 yard gain to keep possession. Not saying I like the idea, but it would be a viable option to getting the ball back when down by two or more scores late. 

I would need to see the stats because converting a 4th and 15 seems way more likely than an onside kick, especially if you include pass interference or other penalties that result in a first down

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean yeah OK I see your point... But if you're going to do away with kick offs then do away with them completely and just have the other team start on their 25 yard line like with a touch back... 

Just saying, their main concern isn't the guy returning the kicks, it's everyone else on the field. But I agree, I think they should just leave it alone. Football without kickoffs isn't football and I think that would be the NFL jumping the shark.

42 minutes ago, leanmeangreenmachine said:

Just saying, their main concern isn't the guy returning the kicks, it's everyone else on the field. But I agree, I think they should just leave it alone. Football without kickoffs isn't football and I think that would be the NFL jumping the shark.

It's just another move down a slippery slope towards essentially flag football. That's where I guess my main concern is at. 

59 minutes ago, leanmeangreenmachine said:

As someone else said there should be no longsnap involved or block opportunity so what they really need is a hybrid formation/ruleset that mimics punts with Kickoff rules.  What they have now with 80% touchbacks plain sucks.

This idea is on the right track, needs some refinement.

I can understand committing to his for the sake of players' safety. But it sounds like something straight out of the Madden video game. I'm not one those purist/traditionalist, but the kick-off is needed.