Sign in to follow this  
VaBeach_Eagle

2018 Hard Knocks - The Cleveland Browns

I'm thinking it'll be the 49ers.

6 teams eligible for mandatory 'Hard Knocks' star turn

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000901695/article/6-teams-eligible-for-mandatory-hard-knocks-star-turn

The regular season is over, the playoff field is set. I know exactly what you're thinking: "Finally we can figure out who the NFL can force into a starring role on Hard Knocks!"

OK, you're probably not thinking about that right now, but I have a soft spot for the greatest documentary series about professional football in the history of the medium, even if the season debut is roughly eight months away. Sue me. As you might be aware, NFL owners passed a resolution in 2013 stating that teams can avoid mandatory inclusion on Hard Knocks if they fall under any of three exemptions:

1) They have a first-year head coach in place
2) They have a playoff berth in the past two seasons
3) They have appeared on Hard Knocks in the past 10 years

I enjoy the rigid specifics of these guidelines. Arbitrary, yet sensible. Let's whittle this thing down. Quick note: There remains a chance a coaching change could happen in Cincinnati (suuuurrrre) or even Tennessee, but both these teams are exempt regardless of the coaching situation due to other factors. And yes, there's always the chance of a surprise dismissal over the next 72 hours or so -- I will adjust as necessary.

Now, let's get to it.

Teams that will have a new head coach in place

» Giants
» Colts
» Raiders
» Lions
» Bears
» Cardinals

Note: Still smarting that we'll never get a Ben McAdoo season. Just think what "Hard Knocks" wizards could've done with a McAdoo trip to the barbershop. Alas.

Teams that have had a playoff berth in the last two seasons

» Patriots
» Steelers
» Jaguars
» Chiefs
» Titans
» Bills
» Eagles
» Vikings
» Rams
» Saints
» Panthers
» Falcons
» Raiders
» Texans
» Lions
» Seahawks
» Dolphins
» Giants
» Packers
» Cowboys

Note: You might notice that this section seems beefy. Nice beef detection. Eight teams that qualified for the postseason in 2016 missed the dance in 2017.

Teams that have appeared on Hard Knocks in the last 10 years

» Cowboys (2008)
» Bengals (2009)
» Jets (2010)
» Dolphins (2012)
» Bengals (2013)
» Falcons (2014)
» Texans (2015)
» Rams (2016)
» Buccaneers (2017)

Note: The Chiefs, who starred in the 2007 season randomly narrated by Paul Rudd, no longer have protection under this provision. They're still exempt, though.

And finally ...

Teams that are eligible for Hard Knocks inclusion in 2018

» 49ers
» Broncos
» Browns
» Chargers
» Ravens
» Redskins

Last year, I wondered if NFL Films would be tempted to use their golden goose to document the rebuilding of the Browns. They have another chance, this time with the added narrative juice coming out out of a tragic 0-16 season and the likely selection of a hotshot quarterback at No. 1 overall. That said, football fans get hammered every summer with talk that the Browns are finally ready to rise from the ashes. I'm not sure I need five more weeks of that narrative on premium cable. You know Hue wants it, though.

The preference here is the 49ers, an iconic organization that fell on hard times but is now brimming with optimism after landing Jimmy Garoppolo for 50 cents on the dollar. It probably doesn't hurt that Garoppolo looks like a movie star, too.

Lastly, a reminder that any team can volunteer to appear on Hard Knocks. There's always a chance we get a surprise team, but don't count on it.

Not the Eagles. We got immunity  :groovy:

7 hours ago, paco said:

Not the Eagles. We got immunity  :groovy:

Well, we're safe for Tribal Council!

One day, I hope the Eagles do it. I know that's not a popular thing to want and to a large extent, I don't want it. But, the TATEr in me wants 5 weeks of all access episodes.

The fan in me who wants more Lombardi's though, knows that's not conducive to getting more Lombardi's. Still though, imagine an Eagles Hard Knocks season, culminating with the hoisting of our 3rd or 4th Lombardi in 3 or 4 years.

But getting that Lombardi would be a bit harder due to the training camp distractions...

Umm... Probably the Niners because they are on the rise with a fairly new and exciting HC and chances are they won't be eligible next year as they have a shot of making the play offs. Plus the NFL will love following Jimmy G.

There are compelling reasons to watch any of the 6 teams eligible:

49ers - young team, Garappolo, ended last season on a hot streak
Broncos - rebuilding from the Manning era. Are they good? Are they bad? Do we know?
Browns - 0-16 last season, #1 and #4 draft picks, Josh Gordon redemption?
Chargers - they're the lame duck team in LA
Ravens - aging vets, close to playoff spot last season. can they re-tool to make a run?
Redskins - new QB after 5 seasons of Cousins, how does the team respond?

I think it will be the 49ers as they bring the most interesting story " Jimmy G " .  ID love to say the browns , but I dont think it would pull enough interest.

4 hours ago, toolg said:

There are compelling reasons to watch any of the 6 teams eligible:

49ers - young team, Garappolo, ended last season on a hot streak
Broncos - rebuilding from the Manning era. Are they good? Are they bad? Do we know?
Browns - 0-16 last season, #1 and #4 draft picks, Josh Gordon redemption?
Chargers - they're the lame duck team in LA
Ravens - aging vets, close to playoff spot last season. can they re-tool to make a run?
Redskins - new QB after 5 seasons of Cousins, how does the team respond?

please Please PLEASE be the R-words.  I need me some schadenfreude. 

22 hours ago, Havenless said:

Browns are finally going to be competitive, and with all the picks they’ll have they’d be fun. Especially with Mayfield

Umm... I think not buddy. They've very likely messed up again and gotten it all horribly wrong. 

Wish the Giants would appear on Hard Knocks. I still really like the show and would be even more excited if my squad was featured. 

4 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

Wish the Giants would appear on Hard Knocks. I still really like the show and would be even more excited if my squad was featured. 

I like it too, and wouldn't mind seeing the Eagles at some point. I'd end up watching the episodes a few times a year... forever lol.

Well, it's the Browns. Hopefully it'll be a good season (for Hard Knocks), but it's the Browns. So at this point, I can't envision a whole lot of league wide interest.

On 4/26/2018 at 1:58 PM, NE.Jon said:

I think it will be the 49ers as they bring the most interesting story " Jimmy G " .  ID love to say the browns , but I dont think it would pull enough interest.

47 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Well, it's the Browns. Hopefully it'll be a good season (for Hard Knocks), but it's the Browns. So at this point, I can't envision a whole lot of league wide interest.

9 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Ooh I dunno bud... We all like a bit of comedy don't we? I mean there are teams struggling in the NFL right now but watching the Browns will make all of those fan bases feel better about their situation right? 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ooh I dunno bud... We all like a bit of comedy don't we? I mean there are teams struggling in the NFL right now but watching the Browns will make all of those fan bases feel better about their situation right? 

Nah I feel bad for Browns fans /.... unlike Skins or Cowbys

Image result for i pity the fool

I don't feel bad for Browns fans. The opposite really. It gives them more exposure. The Browns aren't going to compete this season. It's way too soon. Get this season of 'Hard Knocks' out of the way. Then they don't have to worry about it in the near future and build something.

27 minutes ago, toolg said:

I don't feel bad for Browns fans. The opposite really. It gives them more exposure. The Browns aren't going to compete this season. It's way too soon. Get this season of 'Hard Knocks' out of the way. Then they don't have to worry about it in the near future and build something.

this will be Hues 3rd season as HC ? You dont think he should be stepping up his game ?  They have had 3 years of high and plentiful draft picks. It sounds liek the Cowboys 8 year process 

29 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

this will be Hues 3rd season as HC ? You dont think he should be stepping up his game ?  They have had 3 years of high and plentiful draft picks. It sounds liek the Cowboys 8 year process 

The roster is a disaster. I can't blame Hue for that. He hasn't had much to work with. I'm indifferent if the Browns decide to keep him or not.

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They just did a series with the Browns a few years ago. I'll likely watch Hard Knocks, but I'd much rather see a team that we'd expect to contend in their division.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/NFL-Road-Tested-The-Cleveland-Browns/b0a9cc8c-99ef-46fb-8f71-c04e0d07d702

It's been a few years, but the Browns are the Browns. We really don't need to see more than we're already forced to see during the season. 

Though I do enjoy this:

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

They just did a series with the Browns a few years ago. I'll likely watch Hard Knocks, but I'd much rather see a team that we'd expect to contend in their division.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/NFL-Road-Tested-The-Cleveland-Browns/b0a9cc8c-99ef-46fb-8f71-c04e0d07d702

It's been a few years, but the Browns are the Browns. We really don't need to see more than we're already forced to see during the season. 

Though I do enjoy this:

whats funny not even a year later that song is out of date and they have 5 more Qbs to add 

9-7, just miss the playoffs

Well, the Eagles will be on Hard Knocks again, for the first time since the first season. At least this time the game shouldn't be cancelled due to gaping holes in the playing surface. lol