Sign in to follow this  
VaBeach_Eagle

2018 Hard Knocks - The Cleveland Browns

Don't forget All or Nothing on Amazon Prime is now competing with Hard Knocks.  Both shows only provide a distraction to these teams.   The Cowboys are the latest victim of All or Nothing, and they were also on Hard Knocks back in the early 2000's.  Nothing good comes from the intrusion of a camera crew documenting every move you make.  You'll never see the Eagles Patriots, and Steelers on those shows.  

There has never been a great outcome to the season when those two shows invade the privacy of an NFL team.  

13 minutes ago, Iggles said:

Don't forget All or Nothing on Amazon Prime is now competing with Hard Knocks.  Both shows only provide a distraction to these teams.   The Cowboys are the latest victim of All or Nothing, and they were also on Hard Knocks back in the early 2000's.  Nothing good comes from the intrusion of a camera crew documenting every move you make.  You'll never see the Eagles Patriots, and Steelers on those shows.  

There has never been a great outcome to the season when those two shows invade the privacy of an NFL team.  

I've watched all of the Hard Knocks seasons... except the Cowboys seasons. So I won't watch them on Amazon, either.

8 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I've watched all of the Hard Knocks seasons... except the Cowboys seasons. So I won't watch them on Amazon, either.

I watched Hard Knocks faithfully the first few years. The Cowboys seasons were easily the worst of the bunch. And I'm not just saying that because I hate them. They were just bad. One season they even had a story line about the girls trying out for the cheerleading squad. As if anyone remotely cared about that. Ten minutes an episode that I would just have to fast forward through. Awful.

13 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Well, the Eagles will be on Hard Knocks again, for the first time since the first season. At least this time the game shouldn't be cancelled due to gaping holes in the playing surface. lol

That was so flipping embarrassing. 

3 minutes ago, paco said:

That was so flipping embarrassing. 

Yeah, it was. Was the Linc in the planning stages at that time? If not, I wonder if this was a catalyst to get the Linc. That happened in 2001, so I assume the Linc was at least being planned.

11 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yeah, it was. Was the Linc in the planning stages at that time? If not, I wonder if this was a catalyst to get the Linc. That happened in 2001, so I assume the Linc was at least being planned.

That was when the Phillies, and Eagles didn't go with FieldTurf but a brand called Nexturf. They were the competitors at the time to better Astroturf.   The VET grounds crew didn't anticipate the amount of rain on the pitchers mound that covered a soggy/muddy section of the baseball diamond that was unfit to play football.  After the embarrassment on HBO, they quickly resolved the problem.  At least it happened during a preseason game, not during the regular season. 

As for the Linc, I believe they broke ground for the stadium two months prior to this incident.  

Yeah, but then we had to listen to that smug SOB Billick MF our house.

Andy+Reid+and+Brian+Billick+1200x800+at+

The moment was recorded in all of its glory by cameras from HBO, which was recording its first season of "Hard Knocks," following the Ravens through the preseason. The episode featuring the would-be preseason game with the Eagles features then-coach Brian Billick leading ESPN personality Chris Mortensen, Eagles consultant Ron Jaworski, and an HBO cameraman across the playing surface before the game. Billick walks to a spot near the hashmarks and presses his foot down on the turf.

"There’s a two-inch give,” he says. "We’re gonna put our team on this, huh?”

Billick then calls a member of the ground crew over and lectures him.

"We ain’t playing unless this gets fixed,” he says, walking a straight line across the turf to illustrate the give in the surface.

The HBO camera shows a ground-level close-up of Billick plunging his heel into what appears to be a pothole covered in carpet.

"I can’t get to the bottom of that one,” he says. "Tell Coach Reid I want to see him out here.”

You can't do that to our pledges, only we can do that to our pledges

On 4/27/2018 at 9:38 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Umm... I think not buddy. They've very likely messed up again and gotten it all horribly wrong. 

Yeah. Eveey year we keep hearing about the improved browns. Two years ago someone picked them to win their division. I think theyll win a game this year. They may even win 2. Thats still far from competitive lol

7 minutes ago, bobbywizdum said:

Yeah. Eveey year we keep hearing about the improved browns. Two years ago someone picked them to win their division. I think theyll win a game this year. They may even win 2. Thats still far from competitive lol

I think they will get at least 4. Maybe I'm giving them to much credit lol. They do have a ton of talent on that team now and they kept a lot of games close last year. Hue Jackson is just such an arse he will screw it up although they finally made him get an offensive coordinator this year probably cause of his crap play calling the last 2 years

2 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I think they will get at least 4. Maybe I'm giving them to much credit lol. They do have a ton of talent on that team now and they kept a lot of games close last year. Hue Jackson is just such an arse he will screw it up although they finally made him get an offensive coordinator this year probably cause of his crap play calling the last 2 years

4 is possible. Afc is for the most part trash. That team just knows how to lose though lol they are really good at it. 

From the standpoint of a greedy fan, I sort of wish this year was the Eagles. But from the standpoint of a logical fan, I'm glad it isn't.

Still, I'd devour every second of every episode, if it was the Eagles. Then, when the season went south, I'd lament the fact that it was the Eagles, and lambast the existence of Hard Knocks... while secretly watching every episode every night for 3 years.

:huh: 

25 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

From the standpoint of a greedy fan, I sort of wish this year was the Eagles. But from the standpoint of a logical fan, I'm glad it isn't.

Still, I'd devour every second of every episode, if it was the Eagles. Then, when the season went south, I'd lament the fact that it was the Eagles, and lambast the existence of Hard Knocks... while secretly watching every episode every night for 3 years.

:huh: 

Lol I would probably do the same. 

6 hours ago, bobbywizdum said:

I think they might well surprise us, go crazy and win 3 games! ? They have a talented roster for sure, but I don't think they have a HC who is good enough. 

I felt bad for Hue, not sure HBO should have kept some of the stuff in where he kind of broke down after his mother's death. Give the man a little privacy at that time.

On 5/25/2018 at 9:30 AM, paco said:

Yeah, but then we had to listen to that smug SOB Billick MF our house.

You can't do that to our pledges, only we can do that to our pledges

You have to admit the field was terrible at the Vet. They kept trying to make improvements but they only made it worse. What an embarrassment. To think how far we've come...

11 minutes ago, toolg said:

You have to admit the field was terrible at the Vet. They kept trying to make improvements but they only made it worse. What an embarrassment. To think how far we've come...

The Vet had one thing that was better than the Linc though, and that's crowd noise. Whoever designed The Linc did us a disservice by not enclosing the entire stadium. As loud as it may get, it could be even louder if it was fully enclosed around the entire 'bowl'.

Taking family stuff out of the equation, Jackson is a really soft coach. Players coaches are cool and all, but you need to be able to crack some skulls once in a while, especially at practice. 

On 5/24/2018 at 12:34 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Coached a freshman football game at a  visiting high school. The field had holes in it for attaching those big metal sprinklers. They covered the holes with square pieces of carpet?

Coached another game where one corner of the endzone was on a hill so we threw fades to that corner everytime we got near that end zone worked like a charm?

18 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The Vet had one thing that was better than the Linc though, and that's crowd noise. Whoever designed The Linc did us a disservice by not enclosing the entire stadium. As loud as it may get, it could be even louder if it was fully enclosed around the entire 'bowl'.

Yeah, the Linc's design is a lot more open than the Vet. I like the cutouts because it gives you view of the city skyline but it does let crowd noise escape. In hindsight, they should have enclosed the whole south side of the stadium and made it a complete horseshoe. Nice view of the upper deck walkway/ramps? :blink:

They added seats in the corners to enclose the stadium some more, so it's a little better now than 10 years ago. But yeah, it won't be the same.

That seemed to be the trendy stadium design style at the time. Gillette Stadium (Pats), Heinz Field (Steelers), M&T Bank Stadium (Ravens), the Browns Stadium and the Linc all have very similar looking designs.

46 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

That seemed to be the trendy stadium design style at the time. Gillette Stadium (Pats), Heinz Field (Steelers), M&T Bank Stadium (Ravens), the Browns Stadium and the Linc all have very similar looking designs.

Like one stadium a year gets built around the country. I wouldn't be shocked if the same 1 or 2 Architecture firms handle 95% of that work.

5 hours ago, toolg said:

Yeah, the Linc's design is a lot more open than the Vet. I like the cutouts because it gives you view of the city skyline but it does let crowd noise escape. In hindsight, they should have enclosed the whole south side of the stadium and made it a complete horseshoe. Nice view of the upper deck walkway/ramps? :blink:

They added seats in the corners to enclose the stadium some more, so it's a little better now than 10 years ago. But yeah, it won't be the same.

What I'd like to see, is to have them fill in those empty spaces. Yes, it shows the city behind the stadium, but that doesn't help win games. The only possible reason that they can't (that I can see), is if the city won't allow it. I have a vague recollection of there being a seat limit imposed by the city. So filling in the rest of the stadium would probably add too many seats (if that's true).

But look at all that empty space that noise can escape from...

1872838206_TheLinc.thumb.jpg.ad1ae41f2a2672c8c2c209f9c7b8c8e3.jpg

11 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

The Todd Haley Hue spat was cringe worthy 

Hue is the worst coach ever 

It's interesting that Haley and Greg Williams are completely different in the way they interact with players than Hue. I'm no Todd Haley lover but he's dead on when he talks about guys not practicing. It's fair to suggest that you have to be willing to absorb a few casualties in terms of injury in order to shift the culture of the team and build that toughness. Hue Jackson treats his roster like they are coming off 3 or 4 11-12 win seasons and they just need to keep the guys upright in order to be ready for the playoffs.

BTW this has really made me a Jarvis Landry fan. He may or may not be worth his contract but in the context of Clevelands roster and the type of player and presence they need he is perfect for them.