Shocker54

Lets all laugh at the Giants

They're going to waste half of their 2nd overall picks prime while trying to search for a QB to play with him

This was the best possible outcome for us it really was. Eli is a declining player and that O line still isn't anything special. So yeah good luck to Barkley trying to get lots of big plays behind that O line. And by the time they finally address the QB situation Barkley will have a whole lot of miles on the clock. 

The Giants had an opportunity this year to take a really good QB to develop behind Eli. And unless their plan is to suck bad for the next couple of years then they've messed up bad. 

I don't agree.  I think they made the right pick.  The other option would have been to trade down and get more picks and try to fortify more holes on the OL.  Hell they could have gotten a QB at any point in round 1 had they wanted if you believe that Lamar guy is a player. 

Bottom line I think this comes down to Davis Webb, not Eli Manning.  They think they can develop this kid in to a player.  He's 6'5 and he has a big arm.  He's got a long ways to go from all that I have read but with Eli you have a 2 to 3 years to get him ready.  Now they will either be right or wrong but we won't know until 2021 or so..  In the mean time they will try to win now. 

10 minutes ago, Happyfoosball said:

I don't agree.  I think they made the right pick.  The other option would have been to trade down and get more picks and try to fortify more holes on the OL.  Hell they could have gotten a QB at any point in round 1 had they wanted if you believe that Lamar guy is a player. 

I mean to a point I agree with you. It's not like any of these QBs are safe bets. In fact I think you could all argue they are greater risks than a lot of previous years. But I also think you have to consider that the Giants were in a great position and one they are unlikely to be in again anytime soon. 

19 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean to a point I agree with you. It's not like any of these QBs are safe bets. In fact I think you could all argue they are greater risks than a lot of previous years. But I also think you have to consider that the Giants were in a great position and one they are unlikely to be in again anytime soon. 

If they don't have a QB in 4 years they will get there again don't you worry :)  And you'll get to enjoy every second of it.  But if they can develop Webb then this really is a non-issue.  And the thing is Barkley really is prototype NFL back.  He's probably going to be better than Zeke because he can block and catch.  He's not just a runner.

Just now, Happyfoosball said:

If they don't have a QB in 4 years they will get there again don't you worry :)  And you'll get to enjoy every second of it.  But if they can develop Webb then this really is a non-issue.  And the thing is Barkley really is prototype NFL back.  He's probably going to be better than Zeke because he can block and catch.  He's not just a runner.

And when teams stack the box he struggles. Well teams are going to stack the box because he's the threat they need to worry about with the Giants... And with the O line they have he's going to get stuffed. 

52 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well, if you listen to everyone claiming that they really screwed the pooch by taking Barkley and not a QB - then they have a very good chance of drafting high again, very soon.  I think they made the right choice with Barkley.  And I'm not looking forward to facing both he and Elliott 2x every year --- just like they're not looking forward to facing Wentz 2x every year.  NFC East is just getting tougher........

19 minutes ago, Plache said:

Well, if you listen to everyone claiming that they really screwed the pooch by taking Barkley and not a QB - then they have a very good chance of drafting high again, very soon.  I think they made the right choice with Barkley.  And I'm not looking forward to facing both he and Elliott 2x every year --- just like they're not looking forward to facing Wentz 2x every year.  NFC East is just getting tougher........

Yeah see I'm not so sure bud because I think their team is too good to be right at the top of the draft but not good enough to be legit contenders. Essentially their in the worst place you can be as an nfl organisation. They are tweeners. 

31 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah see I'm not so sure bud because I think their team is too good to be right at the top of the draft but not good enough to be legit contenders. Essentially their in the worst place you can be as an nfl organisation. They are tweeners. 

Well, we'll find out in a few months.  Looks like a 50/50 opinion split from what I've seen on TV this morning... BTW... THE EAGLES WON THE FREAKING SUPER BOWL! <Had to throw that in there!! >

7 minutes ago, pencil face said:

If the Giants suck again. they get Barkley this year and a QB next year....

Yeah but I don't think they suck enough to tank again. Unless they do it on purpose but now you're wasting good years of good players so I think we can rule that out. 

Just now, Plache said:

Well, we'll find out in a few months.  Looks like a 50/50 opinion split from what I've seen on TV this morning... BTW... THE EAGLES WON THE FREAKING SUPER BOWL! <Had to throw that in there!! >

Boom yeah we did!!! Yeah I mean don't get me wrong he's a top 5 player in this draft right? He's an exceptionally talented player. There's nothing wrong with taking him in the first at all. But a team with holes like theirs? That has a near term need at QB? I think it's a mistake from that point of view. 

Things change all the time. A couple good picks and they straighten out the online and Giants can be right back in it. Especially with Beckam being there they can't stack the box against Barkley. 

The Eagles and Ravens screwed the Giants since it wouldn't have shocked me to see the Giants take Jackson at the top of the 2nd.

6 hours ago, Happyfoosball said:

Bottom line I think this comes down to Davis Webb, not Eli Manning.  They think they can develop this kid in to a player.  He's 6'5 and he has a big arm.  He's got a long ways to go from all that I have read but with Eli you have a 2 to 3 years to get him ready.  Now they will either be right or wrong but we won't know until 2021 or so..  In the mean time they will try to win now. 

I think Webb's ceiling is decent backup.

Barkley will improve them enough to win 7 or 8 games and pick in the  middle of the draft.

5 hours ago, Happyfoosball said:

Zeke runs behind an all pro Oline, especially in run blocking.

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And when teams stack the box he struggles. Well teams are going to stack the box because he's the threat they need to worry about with the Giants... And with the O line they have he's going to get stuffed. 

Huh??? ODB and Eli and their TE aren't weapons teams have to account for??

16 minutes ago, madriver said:

Unless Eli surprises me I think he's about toast IMO.

The Giants picking Barkley is a win now move. I feel he's the best player in the draft. Remember the Giants were in the playoffs, 11-5 record, two years ago. They got hit pretty hard by injuries last year. Even still, the Giants had success moving the ball vs. Eagles last year. They came up just a few points short both times. Now their opponents have Barkley to account for and the Giants needed a RB really bad.  Yet they're still the Giants with the same old problems: OLine, secondary...

33 minutes ago, madriver said:

Of course... But Eli is regressing and he's got to actually get the ball out to them. He sees ghosts as it is. 

A few comments...

First, the Giants got the best prospect in the draft, there's not doubt about that. The kid has no weaknesses. That said, it was the wrong pick. I wanted them to trade down, take Nelson and collect more picks. I wasn't too concerned about missing on any of these QBs. 

Second, you're not stacking the box to stop Barkley. Not with the best WR in the division on the outside, the best slot received in the division running across the middle, and what will soon be the best pass catching TE in the division running down the seam. The Giants have weapons. They just need Eli to learn how to throw a decent screen pass. 

Third, the draft is not over. They won't get a QB, but they are picking at the top of the second round and should be able to get a starting caliber OL. Will Hernandez and Connor Williams are sitting right there for the taking. The Giants also have 2 third rounders. We already have three new starters in place (LT, G, C). I'm thinking the OL will be in good enough shape. 

Lastly, the Giants are the only ones that have all the information. They passed on a QB for a reason. They either think Eli can handle the load or think they have something in Webb. If they're wrong, then we'll be right back at the top of the draft for the next few years and you guys can all point and laugh. 

It's funny, everyone (even me) talks about how the Giants missed out on a QB, and then in the same breathe point out numerous holes in each of their games. None of these guys are as good as the top QBs that came out the last two years, yet the Giants missed out. Very confusing. Picking for need instead of BPA is usually the wrong way to go.