Shocker54

Lets all laugh at the Giants

2 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

None whatsoever. Not before, during or after the draft, and I read almost everything. 

Only thing I've read is that the Ravens were banking on Lamar from the moment  they signed RG3.

Gettleman was slamming the button within seconds of being on the clock with just about every pick. They knew who they wanted and were committed to it. Only guy they were even tempted to move up for was Lorenzo Carter and were relieved that they didn't have to.

7 hours ago, flyeagles said:

I am I bummed Barkley is a Giant , yes ...but you could see it coming a mile away especially with the pathetic loser Browns picking first.

Browns could have gotten Barkley and Mayfield or Darnold  ...dumb dumb super dumb

He's a very very good player but I'm not bummed about it... Far from it in fact. That team has so many issues, using the #2 pick on a RB was definitely not the right choice. In years to come they'll look back and realise the mistake that has been made. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's a very very good player but I'm not bummed about it... Far from it in fact. That team has so many issues, using the #2 pick on a RB was definitely not the right choice. In years to come they'll look back and realise the mistake that has been made. 

As a PSU fan I am bummed about it

36 minutes ago, Swimm said:

As a PSU fan I am bummed about it

I can understand that. He was a great player for PSU and you can see just what the Giants are gaining. I just feel like it's a move that in years to come they will look back on with a tinge of regret. 

For the right team, Barkley is a franchise-changing pick. Look at the Cowboys when they picked Zeke Elliott with the #4 pick: instant success: NFC East title and #1 seed in the playoffs the very next season. Only they had the o-line ready for a player like that.

Barkley is projected to be even better but the Giants' o-line stinks. By the time they get that fixed, who knows what Barkley will be doing.

22 minutes ago, toolg said:

For the right team, Barkley is a franchise-changing pick. Look at the Cowboys when they picked Zeke Elliott with the #4 pick: instant success: NFC East title and #1 seed in the playoffs the very next season. Only they had the o-line ready for a player like that.

Barkley is projected to be even better but the Giants' o-line stinks. By the time they get that fixed, who knows what Barkley will be doing.

Barkley is a better all around player but Zeke changes an offence because he can keep his team on the field. He gets those gruelling hard yards that gives his offense more chances to score points. I don't see Barkley in that mould. I think he's a better player but is he a hard yards back? 

18 minutes ago, toolg said:

Why does everyone try to make it sound like it takes a decade to fix an oline?

Back in 2011-2012 the Eagles oline was a sieve and was often used as the excuse for Vick's struggles.

Soon thereafter, it became one of, if not the best line in the league.

Back in 2003-2004, the Giants line was about as bad as it was last year(Tiki still ran wild behind it). A year or two later, and it was considered to be at worst, a top 5 unit.

In 2016, the Vikings line was trash, in one off-season, the whole starting unit was replaced and improved dramatically.

Giants are now set are C, LG, and LT. If they can figure out what to do at RG, and RT, it will be a vastly improved unit.

Not to mention, someone like Barkley, keeps defenses honest. For a few years now, defenses have been able to pin their ears back and go after Eli since they were no threat to run through ball. On top of that, Barkley is a fine pass blocker and good receiver to bail Eli out when the heat comes.

@vincent_NJG It doesn't take a decade, but the Giants do not seem interested in bolstering the o-line. They have half the starters set but there is no depth. Rarely does the entire unit stay healthy for an entire season. If they can keep Eli upright and add a dynamic player like Barkley that makes them difficult to defend, but that's exactly what they've struggled with recently. They can make it work but the line has to stay healthy.

19 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Barkley is a better all around player but Zeke changes an offence because he can keep his team on the field. He gets those gruelling hard yards that gives his offense more chances to score points. I don't see Barkley in that mould. I think he's a better player but is he a hard yards back? 

It doesn't really matter if they can't block. Even in college Barkley could be contained, but he's still a threat to break a play anytime.

15 minutes ago, toolg said:

@vincent_NJG It doesn't take a decade, but the Giants do not seem interested in bolstering the o-line. They have half the starters set but there is no depth. Rarely does the entire unit stay healthy for an entire season. If they can keep Eli upright and add a dynamic player like Barkley that makes them difficult to defend, but that's exactly what they've struggled with recently. They can make it work but the line has to stay healthy.

It doesn't really matter if they can't block. Even in college Barkley could be contained, but he's still a threat to break a play anytime.

It's the first year of Gettleman. One of the first things he did was bring in a back up G/T for depth and keep John Jerru for the same reason. Also, they supposedly like last years developmental guys in Bisnowaty and Wheeler.

Barkley was contained because he was the only threat on offense. Every defensive gameplan against PSU was pretty much just to stop Saquon.

PSU leading reciever: Daeshawn Hamilton

Hamilton's Stat line:53-857-9

Barkley's recieving stat line:54-632-3

26 minutes ago, toolg said:

Well yeah I guess that's part of my point bud. I think Zeke is the safer and better bet to gain consistent positive yards and create his own yards. Barkley is more the kind of player who at any point can break big plays. 

@vincent_NJG I'm not convinced the Giants have done enough to bolster the o-line.

Put it this way, I don't think the Eagles change the defensive gameplan vs. Giants. But they still struggled when Eli took a short drop, beat the rush and threw the ball around. I still remember last year the Eagles won by a 61-yard FG and 1 score in the rematch. Is Saquon enough of a difference? Maybe he can make up a score... I guess we will see if it matters.

Just now, toolg said:

@vincent_NJG I'm not convinced the Giants have done enough to bolster the o-line.

Put it this way, I don't think the Eagles change the defensive gameplan vs. Giants. But they still struggled when Eli took a short drop, beat the rush and threw the ball around. I still remember last year the Eagles won by a 61-yard FG and 1 score in the rematch. Is Saquon enough of a difference? Maybe he can make up a score... I guess we will see if it matters.

Giants haven't had a running game since Bradshaw and Jacobs were splitting carries. I'm not saying the Giants have done enough. It really takes a year or two but the line has definitely improved (on paper) and (again on paper)they finally have a running game so the offense doesn't have to be "Beckham or bust" as it has been with the exception of last season where it was Engram or bust

38 minutes ago, toolg said:

Let me correct you.  Jerry Reese wasn't interested in bolstering the offensive line.  He's unemployed now.

2 hours ago, toolg said:

I think they have improved it by a whole category...or two.  From awful/possibly worst in the league to average or slightly below that.   Will hernandez will instantly be the best lineman they have had since Snee.  Solder is a gamble, but he played well last year.

However as an eagles fan I'd say I'm ecstatic the Giants did what they did this offseason.  It puts them right back into the Wild Card mix for next year but further away from actually competing for a title.

The biggest threat to our division title in '18 is, far and away, the Redskins.  If the Skins can avoid injuries in the trenches they have the hawgs to mash heads with anybody

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

I think they have improved it by a whole category...or two.  From awful/possibly worst in the league to average or slightly below that.   Will hernandez will instantly be the best lineman they have had since Snee.  Solder is a gamble, but he played well last year.

However as an eagles fan I'd say I'm ecstatic the Giants did what they did this offseason.  It puts them right back into the Wild Card mix for next year but further away from actually competing for a title.

The biggest threat to our division title in '18 is, far and away, the Redskins.  If the Skins can avoid injuries in the trenches they have the hawgs to mash heads with anybody

I watched Dallas go from 13-3 to being far below average.  I watched the Giants go from 11-5 and having quite possibly the best defense in the NFL to being the second worst team in football.  Todays NFL, more then ever before.  What you did last means nothing.  Take your title, treasure it forever.  You should.  But understand, that was last year.  That means nothing now.  That promises you nothing.  Not a wild card, not a winning record, nothing.  The one thing the Eagles have going for them above all else is Wentz.  Wentz will do what he can to keep them winning year in and year out but don't expect 2018 to be 2017.  It doesn't work that way.  You'll find out.

I can always laugh at the Giants.  I was really surprised when they took Barkley. They were in prime position to set themselves up for the future. :lol: @ Giants.  

Well the Barkley pick definitely doesn't make me want to laugh at them right now. They have a potent offense. Or atleast, should have a potent offense. It can't possibly be worse than last season right?

Then if their defense can get on track they'll be dangerous.

But a couple years down the road you have to wonder if they'll regret not taking a QB when they were in prime position for top talent. Time will tell on that. That being said a great RB will make it easier for whatever young QB they end up placing behind Eli and could help.

2 hours ago, Happyfoosball said:

I watched Dallas go from 13-3 to being far below average.  I watched the Giants go from 11-5 and having quite possibly the best defense in the NFL to being the second worst team in football.  Todays NFL, more then ever before.  What you did last means nothing.  Take your title, treasure it forever.  You should.  But understand, that was last year.  That means nothing now.  That promises you nothing.  Not a wild card, not a winning record, nothing.  The one thing the Eagles have going for them above all else is Wentz.  Wentz will do what he can to keep them winning year in and year out but don't expect 2018 to be 2017.  It doesn't work that way.  You'll find out.

Well you can try to be cryptic and mystical all you like, but all I'm saying is QB play is essential for long term contention and the G-Men have put off the rebuild for another year. 

20 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

How could they have managed that if they picked Barkley first and Mayfield and Darnold are chosen with the next two picks?

they had a chance to get one of the really good QBs no matter how it played out ... dumb real dumb IMO

14 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

that are betting the house on that QB they got later or one of their current  backups who I honestly know nothing about

Eli is finished IMO

Shurmur considers himself a QB whisperer so we'll see what happens ...he could trade for his bro Bradford who knows 

Barkley will be a beast if they do not run him into the ground ....

there is going to be a huge expectation on Barkley to be the savior up there  ....

Just now, flyeagles said:

Barkley will be a beast if they do not run him into the ground

But they are going to have to run him in to the ground with that O line and with Eli as their QB. I think it's fair to say that most around the NFL love the pick because Barkley is such a good player but ultimately they've dropped the ball. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But they are going to have to run him in to the ground with that O line and with Eli as their QB. I think it's fair to say that most around the NFL love the pick because Barkley is such a good player but ultimately they've dropped the ball. 

I would have really enjoyed watching Barkley with the Browns because I am a Penn State alum  .... 

not so much fun with him being a Giant ....Browns are mind blowingly stupid IMO

2 minutes ago, flyeagles said:

I would have really enjoyed watching Barkley with the Browns because I am a Penn State alum  .... 

not so much fun with him being a Giant ....Browns are mind blowingly stupid IMO

Umm... I disagree. I think the Browns had to take a QB at #1 and I think many thought that Barkley would get past NY and therefore to them at #4. But yeah the Browns are dumb we can't deny that. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Umm... I disagree. I think the Browns had to take a QB at #1 and I think many thought that Barkley would get past NY and therefore to them at #4. But yeah the Browns are dumb we can't deny that. 

QB was the safe pick ... when you are that bad you gotta take a calculated risk that a very good QB would be there at 4 IMO

... seems like the Giants were locked in on Barkley 

Just now, flyeagles said:

QB was the safe pick ... when you are that bad you gotta take a calculated risk that a very good QB would be there at 4 IMO

... seems like the Giants were locked in on Barkley 

But if you take Barkley at #1 then god knows who you end up with at #4. Surely having the #1 pick means you absolutely get the pick of whoever you want? And so you have to take your QB.