Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[Spadaro] At CB: Talent, Depth, And Great Competition

In a league where teams scuffle to stock the roster with quality cornerbacks, the Eagles have aggressively addressed the position the last couple of years and now, as they step back and look at cornerback as a group, they like what they see. There are still questions, but the possibilities are tantalizing ...

View the full article

It is amazing to see the turn around in our CB room....It just seem like the position group was a weakness for so long to now have just a promising young group of CBs just feels great.....

Safety mtgs starting. Of major concern is what color flags the players can wear with which unies.

From NJ.com;

"Assuming the Eagles decline Nick Foles' $20.6 million mutual option, before Agholor's option is factored in the Eagles currently were only on track to have approximately $489,662. Agholor's option would send the Eagles back over the cap for 2019, though they won't have to deal with next year's cap issues until after the 2018 season.

That cap figure does not include possible new contracts for all the Eagles impeding free agents, including Foles, defensive end Brandon Graham, cornerback Ronald Darby, linebacker Jordan Hicks and kicker Jake Elliott".

Didn't realize how good Mike Wallace still is - most plays over 50 yds the past 2 yrs. Figured he slowed up - wrong! In watching Wallace he still runs great routes, has good speed and draws a lot of PI's. I think the reason he seemed to drop off was actually Flacco, whose timing and accuracy looks to be way off. Wallace wants to prove himself and win now.

Wallace still has some serious burners on him an upgrade over Smith that is for sure......But honestly he is at best the 4th option in our passing attack and when you add Sproles to that mix and Clement now Geodart he has a chance to go even further down the list.....But he will help keep D's honest he only needs 1 play and he can take it to the house 

3 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

"Assuming the Eagles decline Nick Foles' $20.6 million mutual option, before Agholor's option is factored in the Eagles currently were only on track to have approximately $489,662. Agholor's option would send the Eagles back over the cap for 2019, though they won't have to deal with next year's cap issues until after the 2018 season.

Lot will be changing in the next couple of years Wentz new deal will make sure of that......Good thing is guys like JP,Sproles,Long Ngata possibly Kelce, Bennett will likely retire(or wont be on the roster in 1-2 years) freeing up a ton of cap..... Then have some other older guys that could be let go Jenkins, Graham, Wis......Guys like Mcleod and Kendricks could be out the door as well within the next two years......

It is really important that we find guys that can contribute in the draft hopefully we landed at least a  guy or 2 in this years draft(hopefully more) 2019 might be the most important draft for us to have an extremely strong draft then of course 2020.......These next few years could determine if we become a GB team(Rodgers is the entire team) or NEish   

Also .. look at GB vs NE ... its not so much the draft.  GB never looked to sign FAs... Belicheck always did ... also trading for players.   The draft is very important no doubt, but we have to establish being a destination for FAs... not necessarily the top FAs... but the guys who take one year prove it deals.  Those guys can fill holes for you without killing the cap.  and they look to fit in your culture too so as to put good vibes out to the rest of the league.

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Also .. look at GB vs NE ... its not so much the draft.  GB never looked to sign FAs... Belicheck always did ... also trading for players.   The draft is very important no doubt, but we have to establish being a destination for FAs... not necessarily the top FAs... but the guys who take one year prove it deals.  Those guys can fill holes for you without killing the cap.  and they look to fit in your culture too so as to put good vibes out to the rest of the league.

Yea i was going to add that as well but got tired of typing lol....NE and belicheat were/are masterful at finding guys cheap that fit what they do also were never afraid to take guys with talent but questionable character 

But NE also over the years were masterful in the draft as well have fallin off a bit in that area recently though 

The fact that the Eagles have gotten pretty good with the 2nd tier signings in FA is promising that we can sustain success even after Wentz gets paid......Go back to Jenkins signing was not looked as a top option at S to sign many didn't want him opting for the flashier names at the time TJ Ward and Bryd and think we can all easily say Jenkins has been hands down the best of the trio....Then we can look at guys like Wis who was a key cog on our OL at LG, Blount great fit for what we wanted to do extremely cheap, Chris Long complete steal great depth, Bradham got extremely cheap though now he finally got paid......List likely goes on but we have done well with the mid-low tier signings 

Agree on both posts.  Those mid tier signings were great fits too.  Filling needs. Not just a splash or a signing to keep score, they had purpose in the big picture. 

I'm really hoping that having had time to work with these guys, and our commitment to the position over the past couple of years that Schwartz can now make the most of the players he has at his disposal. 

With the addition this year of Maddox and Jones, with Douglas going in to his second year and with Darby hopefully fully healthy and good to go, I'd hope to see even more improvement. I certainly hope we aren't going to see teams quick pass and slant us to death like happened a few times last year. 

Morning all!... Been busy looking at the ponies and have it narrowed down to 6....

Anyway, I agree with BG. This group of CB's is now one of the strengths for this team. I believe that one of the CB's moves to safety. Maybe Douglas...? I cannot see bringing in so many if there was not some sort of plan to do something like that. We are in a pretty good place with the personnel, but we still are thin at a couple. We cannot afford to get hit with injuries at LB again this year. Hicks needs to stay on the field. If not, I can see the Eagles going in another direction next year. We certainly have enough ammo with the 10 picks for 2019.

I wonder who Howie can pick up for LB Depth... Anyone have a clue?

I wonder if Wentz comes back sooner than expected, what the Eagles do with Foles. They could easily get a 2nd round pick plus another conditional depending on playing time and contract extension.... If we could grab another 2nd round pick in next year's draft, we would be set up to compete for another 5-6 years. I really am not worried anymore about what the Cap is. Like Joe keeps telling us, the Cap number will work itself out over time. I do believe that Brandon may not be here next year though. He may be the next Cap casualty....

15 minutes ago, stine said:

I wonder if Wentz comes back sooner than expected, what the Eagles do with Foles. They could easily get a 2nd round pick plus another conditional depending on playing time and contract extension

Well... First problem is we just gave him an extension / restructured deal so I doubt we are going to go back and change it now? I do agree though that he could still be moved in say August. By then we should have a very good idea where Carson is at and that will be our last chance to get something for Foles. I'm not saying it will happen but it could. 

45 minutes ago, stine said:

I wonder if Wentz comes back sooner than expected, what the Eagles do with Foles. They could easily get a 2nd round pick plus another conditional depending on playing time and contract extension.... If we could grab another 2nd round pick in next year's draft, we would be set up to compete for another 5-6 years. I really am not worried anymore about what the Cap is. Like Joe keeps telling us, the Cap number will work itself out over time. I do believe that Brandon may not be here next year though. He may be the next Cap casualty....

Agree about the cap. Howie seems to be able to pull a rabbit out of his hit when needed.

I'm sure he plans far down the road when he makes these contracts.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well... First problem is we just gave him an extension / restructured deal so I doubt we are going to go back and change it now? I do agree though that he could still be moved in say August. By then we should have a very good idea where Carson is at and that will be our last chance to get something for Foles. I'm not saying it will happen but it could. 

Well, this just means that the new club would have to pay him more cash. I would think that the new club would want to re-do his contract anyway, so not really an issue right? Anyway, this is all conjecture. I am making a big assumption that Carson is ready well ahead of schedule. Possible, but not likely....

1 hour ago, stine said:

I wonder who Howie can pick up for LB Depth... Anyone have a clue?

I gotta be honest .... I think the "depth" at LB is the best it has ever been.  To start, I finally have 3 LBs that I am confident about.  That's wasn't until this group of 3 was put together and Kendricks stepped up last year.   Probably 2002 with Emmons, Barger and Kirkland?  IDK, but we have had some bad STARTING LBs, so right off the bat, the depth is better now that we go 3 good to start with.   From there, looks like the 2 FAs brought it can actually offer more than jist special teams play.  Hill is a stud on ST.    So its the best 6 since I can remember.

We play 2 or 1 LBs most of the time... so not sure I would even worry about it.  Doesn't seem like more "depth" would matter... barring multiple injuries, but again, not sure the quality would be higher than our current guys?

1 minute ago, stine said:

Anyway, this is all conjecture. I am making a big assumption that Carson is ready well ahead of schedule. Possible, but not likely....

I dunno bud... Everything so far has pointed to him being ready to go week one. At this time I don't think there's any reason to think he won't be ready. But of course it's early days and there is a long way to go still.

As for Foles.... who do you think would trade for him at this point?    Barring serious injury to their starting QB?    I don't see it.   I think the trade boat has sailed .... unless an inury, then I would ask for a 1st rounder.