Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Cleaning Out The Draft Weekend Notebook

Falcons better consistently draft well. Just looking forward to having to pay Wentz. We've had the luxury of good QB play at low cost. Once you have too much cap tied up in a few players, seems really hard to field a perennially winning team.

I mentioned in an earlier post, with Wentz pending new contract all positions taken in Draft has the potential to replace many of our ageing, expensive stars. 10 Potential Draft picks next year, positioned to go back to back. A head coach with no problem starting rookies and putting them in key positions to succeed.

9 hours ago, trini said:

I mentioned in an earlier post, with Wentz pending new contract all positions taken in Draft has the potential to replace many of our ageing, expensive stars. 10 Potential Draft picks next year, positioned to go back to back. A head coach with no problem starting rookies and putting them in key positions to succeed.

It'll be interesting to see if Wentz is looking to break the bank or ensure his financial security while still allowing the Eagles to put a team around him.

1 hour ago, ASG15 said:

It'll be interesting to see if Wentz is looking to break the bank or ensure his financial security while still allowing the Eagles to put a team around him.

I could see Wentz signing for less but asking for more guaranteed cash. He may sign a 5 year 100 million contract if all was guaranteed. Would we do that? Probably....  There is a risk for both parties, but Wentz knows he has enough cash to live comfortably and also his kids lol. Plus there is the money he makes for endorsements. Heck, Gronkowski has not spent one penny of his contract earnings to date because of all the money he has made in endorsments....

13 hours ago, trini said:

Sounds like a well laid out plan to me!!! When we have to pay Wentz,others will be on rook contracts-brilliant move 

4 hours ago, ASG15 said:

I believe Foles and Wentz have similar characteristics.That being,IMO, both are competitors,want to win games.As long as the money is up there close to other QB's,I think he stays here a LONG time.He has a ring,got us into position to win it all,but it's not the same as being on the field for it.Same as Sproles,JP and others.It's the Philly mindset now(and I like it alot).yeah maybe he could make an extra mil someplace else,but what price can you put on walking off the field after a SB win? To me that's worth every penny I would be paid.We shall see

17 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

A bit confused/miffed Jernigan didn't have his surgery sooner

Sometimes you have no choice.Some things they have to do prep work on before surgery can start.Things like fluid formation/draining,infections or what have you.Possibly that was the reason

The #Eagles gave Darren Sproles a $400K signing bonus on his 1-year, $1.415M deal (max $1.433M with likely to be earned incentives). Total guarantee is $1M. So a good bet to have a role in his 14th season at age 35.

I STILL replay the "Philly Special" play.I'm so glad Ped listens to his players.They are out there and have a feel for the game and what is possible. Foles was awesome suggesting it and even better executing it.Many laughed at me when I said awhile back, we need some gadget plays. Welp,that one sure worked lol

5 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

The #Eagles gave Darren Sproles a $400K signing bonus on his 1-year, $1.415M deal (max $1.433M with likely to be earned incentives). Total guarantee is $1M. So a good bet to have a role in his 14th season at age 35.

Not bad for either side.Can't wait to see this team at full strenght(Wentz,JP,Sproles).A gnats troll said "your team has no depth" so i reminded him we won the SB with our depth-the silence was deafening HAHA 

4 hours ago, stine said:

I could see Wentz signing for less but asking for more guaranteed cash. He may sign a 5 year 100 million contract if all was guaranteed. Would we do that? Probably....  There is a risk for both parties, but Wentz knows he has enough cash to live comfortably and also his kids lol. Plus there is the money he makes for endorsements. Heck, Gronkowski has not spent one penny of his contract earnings to date because of all the money he has made in endorsments....

That's my point. I can see Wentz taking a bit less or structuring his contract so it isn't a huge cap hit.

As long as he's set for life obviously.

Wentz will make over $30 mil per year ... not always up to the player, the agents and the plsyers union have say.   

9 hours ago, ASG15 said:

Even if they pay Carson Market Value what’s that at right now... 30 - 35 mil per ? Cousins has started a new trend... Guaranteed money contracts can’t wait to see what happens when the other positions demand similar contracts. Yet to see how it will impact Vikes and their ability to build a good team around Cousins, a year or so from now. QB’s starting to get payed like NBA players.  I’m buying that Carson won’t rake us over the coals. I’ll bet the Eagles treat him right . Wentz winning his first Lombardi this year would be icing on the cake.

Brady finally making some money $22 mill, 14 Mill the past 2 to afford players for the SB teams. There's only so much we can pay a player and still afford other players to vie for a SB. Pay too much and we kiss it all goodbye until the next set of circumstances align where we can afford players all around, meaning paid vets and cheap but good rooks. Teams must  respect players, players must respect the team. When that's balanced, you win, when it's not, you're in a hole

Personally I have a thing against greed, believing it's what's been driving our downfall, not only in football. This being about football, if you're paying your QB 18% of your salary cap, you better hit your draft or you're fried. Best way around it is to build your depth where players can move on w/o dropoff. I respect Brady for not holding NE over a barrel, allowing them to afford to keep a team around him. However they did disrespect in certain ways so don't blame him for expressing his feelings a bit lately - it's about time!

Planning for the future is happening and it's fluid, having everyone back and planning for this yrs' SB - that's now.

You know something? We can do this again!

I do not deny the fact that Wentz will get paid but just doesn't seem like the type of guy that will go out and try to set the QB market....Maybe I am wishful thinking but I could easily see him in that Brady bracket.....Guy that will get good money but will take less to benefit the team so he can win.....Honestly we could give him a huge deal as long as we can keep the cap hit fairly low should be alright 22-25m would be a steal at a top end QB when the market now(and in 2 years) will be 30m border lining 40m a year 

19 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

As long as the money is up there close to other QB's,I think he stays here a LONG time.He has a ring,got us into position to win it all,but it's not the same as being on the field for it

Foles will be gone next year unless something goes wrong with Wentz....Philly won't pick up his option for 2019 which would be a 20m cap hit(complete steal for a quality starter) but not a backup 

2 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Foles will be gone next year unless something goes wrong with Wentz....Philly won't pick up his option for 2019 which would be a 20m cap hit(complete steal for a quality starter) but not a backup 

We don't know that.perhaps he will retire anyway,but I rule nothing out 2 years into the future.What if Wentz gets hurt again? 

Why is everyone set on Foles retiring?   He just said he would like a chance to be a starter, but knows the deal here.     

Wentz won't take the cheap deal now, he will be used to set the market for QBs at this point, too much pressure from the agents and the players union, especially as the new CBA is coming up.    Later on he may do the Brady thing, when he is already paid and has more pull.   At this point, he is in year 3, they have control until year 5 if they want, most likely they redo a deal with him next year where the cap hits are still low until at least 2020.   2 years from now, there will be players off the books, forget salary, they will need draft picks to step up simply because players are getting older.   Its the normal cycle.  

Everyone obsesses over Seattle and what happened after Wilson got paid ...well, look at their moves.  They didn't draft too well for a few years, you can't do that.  They got old and they got injured.  Plus they neglected the OL.  It's not just Wilson getting paid.  The Eagles need to continue to make good moves, including the draft.  Surprising to me how everyone obsesses about the draft for years, then now all of a sudden its just because Wentz is going to get paid we have to draft well.  You always have to draft well while building a team for the long run.  

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

We don't know that.perhaps he will retire anyway,but I rule nothing out 2 years into the future.What if Wentz gets hurt again? 

We do know what Foles contact option is it is 20m to retain him in 2019....we dont keep him at that to be a backup