Sign in to follow this  
pisceschica

Matt Ryan 5yr/$150M ...$100M guaranteed

And in a few years it won't be that much. It's now 2 years since Stafford got his pay day and everyone cried about it and now he is down the list of 

These QBs are getting overpaid. Honestly, some owner is going to have to put his foot down.  Ryan and Cousins are good, but they don't deserve this kind of coin.

4 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

These QBs are getting overpaid. Honestly, some owner is going to have to put his foot down.  Ryan and Cousins are good, but they don't deserve this kind of coin.

It's a lot of money, but as the cap increase the money will,  the important number is percentage of the cap, Peyton Manning 2012 cap percentage was 14%, Stafford contract in 2018 is 14.9% of the cap..

23 minutes ago, pencil face said:

It's a lot of money, but as the cap increase the money will,  the important number is percentage of the cap, Peyton Manning 2012 cap percentage was 14%, Stafford contract in 2018 is 14.9% of the cap..

Exactly it's stupid to worry about it. Carson will sign his deal and eveyrone will complain then a few years later it will be nothing

7 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Exactly it's stupid to worry about it. Carson will sign his deal and eveyrone will complain then a few years later it will be nothing

And to be honest I'm still holding out hope that Carson takes a big first pay day but then after that goes the Brady route. Takes very good contracts but not at the detriment of the team. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And to be honest I'm still holding out hope that Carson takes a big first pay day but then after that goes the Brady route. Takes very good contracts but not at the detriment of the team. 

Wentz is probably the type to do that. His agent wont let him for his first new contract but after that 7-10 year deal is up, I could definitely see Carson taking a paycut to put his team first.

Wentz: over/under $120 million guaranteed? I'm taking over.

Paying a guy like Rodgers that kind of money makes some sense, even though its a ridiculous amount of money

Matt Ryan?! The Falcons are idiots to guarantee that much for a QB who, to me, is just a bit above average

:roll:

1 hour ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Matt Ryan is the second most overrated player in the NFL

He doesn't have the creativity of the great Qb's, but he is extremely consistent.  He's a legit franchise Qb, perennially top 10 with ZERO injury history.  This contract isn't awful given the market, this is not a Joe Flacco deal.

That said, don't let ANYONE, EVER, tell you Matt Ryan was ever elite.  I don't care if he throws for 5K yards and wins the SB.

12 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

Unlike other sports, I never quibble with what pro football players are making.  These guys are literally killing themselves for our entertainment.

2 hours ago, vincent_NJG said:

Wentz is probably the type to do that. His agent wont let him for his first new contract but after that 7-10 year deal is up, I could definitely see Carson taking a paycut to put his team first.

No his agent won't let him in his first deal but after that I think he will. 

For a very good (not HOF level) QB who hasn't been paticularly clutch in the playoffs, that's just insane.

The QB who outplayed him in the playoffs last year is not someone who deserves anything though. :roll:

6 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Matt Ryan is the second most overrated player in the NFL

Not in a league that has Case Keenum and Sam Bradford.

23 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Unlike other sports, I never quibble with what pro football players are making.  These guys are literally killing themselves for our entertainment.

I don't have a problem with what the players overall are making, but giving this much to one player is ridiculous.

The guys who are killing themselves, are the ones keeping Ryan upright on Sunday.

4 hours ago, ndelaware said:

I don't have a problem with what the players overall are making, but giving this much to one player is ridiculous.

The guys who are killing themselves, are the ones keeping Ryan upright on Sunday.

I'm surprised that there's not a lot of complaining from players regarding their union. The star QB is always going to make more money. But, now it is really getting skewed.  Also, at what point do the fans say enough to the rising prices to attend games. There will be a breaking point eventually.  Also, owners may eventually decide not to invest these ridiculous salaries into for a starting QB at the expense of the rest of the roster.  Teams might start trading their QB after their first contract in order to keep the roster balanced. Of course that will depend on just how good the QB is. A QB like Rodgers would be easier to justify paying him. But, guys with similar skill sets like Ryan and Cousins could be traded after their first contracts in order to have a QB on an initial contract.  Eventually the pendulum will swing back the other way.

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

I'm surprised that there's not a lot of complaining from players regarding their union. The star QB is always going to make more money. But, now it is really getting skewed.  Also, at what point do the fans say enough to the rising prices to attend games. There will be a breaking point eventually.  Also, owners may eventually decide not to invest these ridiculous salaries into for a starting QB at the expense of the rest of the roster.  Teams might start trading their QB after their first contract in order to keep the roster balanced. Of course that will depend on just how good the QB is. A QB like Rodgers would be easier to justify paying him. But, guys with similar skill sets like Ryan and Cousins could be traded after their first contracts in order to have a QB on an initial contract.  Eventually the pendulum will swing back the other way.

Yes but, Matt Ryan is still a good consistent QB that gives you a chance every year. You can't keep trading them away and hoping to find generational QBs . It isn't realistic. After all Ryan didn't blow a 25 point lead in the super bowl.

Aaron Rodgers is fantastic but, he has had absolute garbage around him for how long now? So even paying someone like him hurts the team as well. Eventually yes I agree somewhere along the lines something is going to have to change or else you will have teams like the rams going all in just for one year before they have to pay their QB then it all goes to crap. 

On 5/4/2018 at 10:18 AM, dawkins4prez said:

He doesn't have the creativity of the great Qb's, but he is extremely consistent.  He's a legit franchise Qb, perennially top 10 with ZERO injury history.  This contract isn't awful given the market, this is not a Joe Flacco deal.

He's consistently mediocre. He had one outlier of a season in 2016 where he put up a great season, but outside of that he's had a QB rating in the high 80s-low 90s pretty much every year. He's a tick above average, but that's it.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, toolg said:

Wentz: over/under $120 million guaranteed? I'm taking over.

Definitely over.

On 5/5/2018 at 8:02 PM, nipples said:

He's consistently mediocre. He had one outlier of a season in 2016 where he put up a great season, but outside of that he's had a QB rating in the high 80s-low 90s pretty much every year. He's a tick above average, but that's it.

Keep in mind that most of his games are played either indoors or in good weather. That bumps up the stats a bit.

On 5/3/2018 at 8:54 PM, pencil face said:

If the Eagles use the 5th year option on Wentz, in 2021 you will be even more shocked...

That's okay, we won the Super Bowl :smoke: