Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

There is no official depth chart, and the way the Eagles are going to approach the formation of one is to see how it all plays out on the practice field in the months ahead. Just so we get that out of the way … We’re approaching mid-May, and it’s slow on the news side here for a while. The Rookie Camp happens this weekend. The Organized Team Activities start later in the month. Let’s have some fun and project some Positional Battles ...

View the full article

This is the NFL, there's battles every day if you want to field the best team. Interested in seeing how Treggs develops. Last time he was here he caught everything and has good speed. Needs to use his body better, improve routes.

2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

This is the NFL, there's battles every day if you want to field the best team. Interested in seeing how Treggs develops. Last time he was here he caught everything and has good speed. Needs to use his body better, improve routes.

Dude you have a bromance for this guy lol.What was interesting(Spuds C'MON MAN!!!!) to me is there was no mention of Adams,who in my view is/will be better than Smalls or Pump.Understand Pump is a different type back,still he is gonna have to prove himself soon(Smalls too).THose 3 should compete for the final RB spot

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Dude you have a bromance for this guy lol.What was interesting(Spuds C'MON MAN!!!!) to me is there was no mention of Adams,who in my view is/will be better than Smalls or Pump.Understand Pump is a different type back,still he is gonna have to prove himself soon(Smalls too).THose 3 should compete for the final RB spot

I called Clement(my boy last year) and I also wanted Adams(my boy this year and was willing to spend a late pick to get him(UDFA is of course BETTER).Maddox looks like a keeper if we give him the time needed to develop

@GreenbleedinFL I gotta say I was beating the drum for Guice and Ronald Jones, both were available. That kid Ballage was someone late in the Draft I thought we would pick up, we passed on all those guys.In hindsight, I am not disappointed. Adams is very impressive big, fast, with room to grow into that big body. This kid can score from anywhere on the field. No one was talking about this guy in the media. I think what I am most pleased about is Howie and Joe’s selections are not players that were bantered about in the media. Mayock is a guy I consider a Philly guy, one of the very best at what he does but I like the fact many of our selections are not players from the beaten Media path. Brings to mind living here in Maryland, the job Ossie did finding NO Name gems for those early Bmore teams. I think Adams could have a role in this RB rotation this year. 

Guice has the potential to be a lockerroom cancer,believe that is why he was a no go for us.I guess it was Duce who pushed for Clement as well as Adams? Not sure of the structure there,but whomever was responsible knows their UDFA RB's.As I said,I was willing to give up a late pick for Adams.Kid has the raw talent,can catch out of the backfield.he will gain strength as they mold his body.Believe we could be setting up for not having Ajayi in the future(aka cap savings) and I would have great confidence with Clement and Adams in my backfield.Love to win BTB SB's and have Sproles go out with the class he deserves as these young guys progress into their roles.I really NEED to see something from Pumphrey this year.he won't play much(if at all),but need to see him progress into possibly taking Sproles role

News flash .... Eagles adding Matt Jones ex Redskin RB. WOW Jones a Big, Fast, 240lb RB. As our enemy, I Liked how he performed for the Deadskins, seemed to ALWAYS want to take it outside which was not a good thing for the Deadskins. hehehehehe, That will change when Duce gets his hands on him. Can Jones start living up to his potential, especially since he won’t have to carry the offense.  Maaannn where are we getting money for these moves? That RB room is gonna be something special. Bringing Sproles back will pay huge dividends with these young RB’s  and Sproles as a mentor. I always thought if Jones could be more of an inside runner with his size and speed he would be more effective with his overall game. 

RB by committee.   Keep it going that way.   Also keep me flooded with a lot of young fast CBs.

The days of the primo RB, primo WR are coming to an end. RB/WR by committee protects a team - if 1 goes down - cowpies - the entire team doesn't suffer too much. Am I going to miss a guy like Bloune - yeah. Camp hasn't even started, we have depth in both positions. And yeah - I'm still pulling for Treggs. Wish I could find more tape on him, not just highlight stuff. Just remember we couldn't throw him a ball he couldn't catch and he was fast.

5 hours ago, trini said:

News flash .... Eagles adding Matt Jones ex Redskin RB. WOW Jones a Big, Fast, 240lb RB. As our enemy, I Liked how he performed for the Deadskins, seemed to ALWAYS want to take it outside which was not a good thing for the Deadskins. hehehehehe, That will change when Duce gets his hands on him. Can Jones start living up to his potential, especially since he won’t have to carry the offense.  Maaannn where are we getting money for these moves? That RB room is gonna be something special. Bringing Sproles back will pay huge dividends with these young RB’s  and Sproles as a mentor. I always thought if Jones could be more of an inside runner with his size and speed he would be more effective with his overall game. 

Hope we got him cheap,really see no reason for this one.Possibly if Ajayi gets hurt,so maybe that is a reason.Time(IMO) to shop/drop Smalls

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

The days of the primo RB, primo WR are coming to an end. RB/WR by committee protects a team - if 1 goes down - cowpies - the entire team doesn't suffer too much. Am I going to miss a guy like Bloune - yeah. Camp hasn't even started, we have depth in both positions. And yeah - I'm still pulling for Treggs. Wish I could find more tape on him, not just highlight stuff. Just remember we couldn't throw him a ball he couldn't catch and he was fast.

Welp,there is a reason he has floated around the league with few snaps taken.If he was that good someone would have started him by now(camp body)

Aaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhh my SIXERS went down to that stinking Boston team. Great Effort my boys, We will learn from this loss, MADE ME  PROUD how we battled came down to the last play. Much love for my Boys. GO SIXERS.

2 hours ago, trini said:

Aaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhh my SIXERS went down to that stinking Boston team. Great Effort my boys, We will learn from this loss, MADE ME  PROUD how we battled came down to the last play. Much love for my Boys. GO SIXERS.

Great game,Philly showed heart.Unreal plays from both teams,these guys are GOOD!!

8 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Agree on RB, disagree on WR.   Alshon was key, we haven't had a true #1 in forever where they either need to double team or put their best cover guy on so that was key last year, as everyone else got less attention.  The stud Rb without the OL doesn't do much.   The stud WR needs attention regardless of where he lines up.

We'll see in Dallas this year... I don't see any reason why defenses don't crowd the box and blitz the heck out of Dak.   Who are they afraid to leave single covered?   

That's why I like the way this team is built.   Pay the #1 WR, get a bunch of cheap RBs that can do the job.    Elite QB, Elite OL, elite TE, good slot WR ... RB by committee... perfect formula.

On defense... elite DL, good middle LBs and S ... then give me a bunch of decent CBs.... having a stud expensive #1 CB does nothing when they put 4 WRs out there and you have 3 mismatches.   

8 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Great game,Philly showed heart.Unreal plays from both teams,these guys are GOOD!!

The Sixers are very young and inexperienced.   that is the easiest thing to fix, you can't teach their physical talent.  Bright future.   Fun time to be a Philly sports fan.   2020... could it be the next 1980 where all 4 teams made it to the finals?     7 years old and I was spoiled back then.  Would love for my kids to be the same way for a while!  Was a tough last few years up until this past Eagles season... don't need that any time soon!   

I think actually the most interesting battle this year, and its been the case the past few years actually is the kicker battle. Oh wait hang on. There isn't one? No way! :roll:

No on a serious note I think the corner back position is most intriguing. Are any of these young guys going to be moved to Safety? Who is going to win the starting slot corner role? 

I mean right now who do we project as our starters if we line up with a slot corner? Is it assumed Jones and Darby? Because I think Mills will have something to say about that. Does Mills move to the slot? He's got the experience in the NFL but his skill set doesn't translate well to the slot. Can Maddox win that job? Though he's not got a ton of experience in that position even in college. 

And what about Douglas? Will he be the guy to move to Safety? I think I would rather Mills is as I like the range Douglas has on the outside. 

On 5/10/2018 at 7:04 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think actually the most interesting battle this year, and its been the case the past few years actually is the kicker battle. Oh wait hang on. There isn't one? No way! :roll:

No on a serious note I think the corner back position is most intriguing. Are any of these young guys going to be moved to Safety? Who is going to win the starting slot corner role? 

I mean right now who do we project as our starters if we line up with a slot corner? Is it assumed Jones and Darby? Because I think Mills will have something to say about that. Does Mills move to the slot? He's got the experience in the NFL but his skill set doesn't translate well to the slot. Can Maddox win that job? Though he's not got a ton of experience in that position even in college. 

And what about Douglas? Will he be the guy to move to Safety? I think I would rather Mills is as I like the range Douglas has on the outside. 

Also don't rule out the new kid Maddox getting a few plays in,especially in garbage time.Kids got the goods and if we can coach him up fast enough I could see him playing a bit

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Also don't rule out the new kid Maddox getting a few plays in,especially in garbage time.Kids got the goods and if we can coach him up fast enough I could see him playing a bit

In terms of skill set he's well suited to the slot but he doesn't have a ton of experience there. Or do you mean he could get a few plays in on the outside? 

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In terms of skill set he's well suited to the slot but he doesn't have a ton of experience there. Or do you mean he could get a few plays in on the outside? 

Don't know,as they work with him they will find out where his abilities lie

16 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Don't know,as they work with him they will find out where his abilities lie

That's very true. I certainly think right now the plan is to get him in the slot. If we find he can play on the outside too that's a huge bonus. 

Interesting WR battles this spring with the addition of Wheaton,I am hoping this doesn't cost Hollins a roster spot

Heck if I know where we are on the boards. The NFL most likely requires team sites to meet certain standards, but teams need to be change friendly as in change notices. I for one don't need the bells and whistles and wish I had the know how and time to make a chat site w/o all these constant changes. Have noticed a lot of people missing lately - congrads IT, if losing lifetime fans was your goal, you may have finally succeeded!

Now with that off my chest, sounds like Mailata has the right attitude;

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/14/jordan-mailata-thrown-in-deep-end-at-eagles-minicamp/

On 5/13/2018 at 10:20 AM, GreenbleedinFL said:

,I am hoping this doesn't cost Hollins a roster spot

Hollins isn't going to be going anywhere he will make the 53 unless he is hurt......The addition at WR could hurt a guy like Gibsons chances to make the team though or a Greg Ward who had a strong camp last year but then at the same time they don't deserve a spot on the roster if they can't beat someone like Wheaton 

On 5/10/2018 at 1:28 AM, joemas6 said:

Alshon was key, we haven't had a true #1 in forever

Alshon is that new breed of #1 WR not a diva not many #1 WR would be happy with the role he had last year...By no means was he killing the stat sheets but he did his job he helped open up things for the rest of our guys and he made the plays when he needed to.....Alshon really fits perfectly with our team and what we want to do not always easy to find unselfish players