DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ham,    Williams from the Jets ... your opinion ... for the 3rd time asking.   That I thought was me going out on a limb a few weeks ago in saying this.    Obviously you don't pay attention, its uphill battle to converse with someone who doesn't pay attention.

Anyway.... being he plays for the Jets, we have a relationship with their GM.... his contract situation, what would you think it costs?

In your opinion... that cost vs a 6th for Hester... go out on a limb here with me.  I go Williams.  

But the Jets are winless. Why would you trade for a player from a winless team? As you would say. 
  Many factors here. Big money last year contract situation. He’s playing in a 3-4 instead of 4-3. We have big bucks involved in Malik and Fletch. That’s a ton of money to invest at DT. Especially considering we like to bring Graham in on passing downs. Graham is very good on passing downs as a DT pass rusher. We have Sweat and Hall potentially stepping up at DE along with Barnett and Curry. So I’m leaning against this trade. The part I haven’t touched on is what compensation the trade would take. Doubtful in the range of a sixth like we were talking with Hester. Heck of an athletic player though(Williams). How long would the transition take for him? Big cost for a guy that hasn’t played in this kind of system before. If we could sign him reasonably long term it makes more sense. But that’s a ton of money invested in DT. Not really a fan of that kind of money management.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to sign CJ Mosley over L.J. Fort. I don’t think comparing the moves is very relevant though. Different ball parks. Hester should be a cheap trade. He is cheap cap hit. He fits our system and knows it well ...defense and ST. But Hester doesn’t compare to Aaron Donald or Williams or these super high draft picks. I’m figuring on getting Jernigan back. So DT isn’t where my highest trade priority lies. Jernigan and Cox...with Graham moving inside on passing situations works for me. CB, G and WR are bigger priorities for me. A decent or big move there can move the needle toward Championship more for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I wanted to sign CJ Mosley over L.J. Fort. I don’t think comparing the moves is very relevant though. Different ball parks. Hester should be a cheap trade. He is cheap cap hit. He fits our system and knows it well ...defense and ST. But Hester doesn’t compare to Aaron Donald or Williams or these super high draft picks. I’m figuring on getting Jernigan back. So DT isn’t where my highest trade priority lies. Jernigan and Cox...with Graham moving inside on passing situations works for me. CB, G and WR are bigger priorities for me. A decent or big move there can move the needle toward Championship more for me.

The way your talking of the DT spot makes no sense to invest anything at DT then. What we have now is more then enough...Hester is not a better option then Ridgeway on early downs and passing downs we prefer Graham.... Can’t image Hester is such a huge upgrade over Spence either on the few other snaps we give away to DTs after those 3 guys.

By that logic we should just invest our resources completely at other positions ie WR/CB.....I don’t see G happening  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, obviously William's would cost more than Hester.  Which I don't see why Washington wouldn't take a 2021 7th rounder due to the fact they won't sign him back next year. It's a free pick really. 

The money management... not worried, only thing that counts for Williams would be the prorated 2019 salary.   Being on the last year, we could probably get him for a 3rd or so.  Does he offer an upgrade in the run game, can he spell Cox on those downs too.  All then making the pass rush better with a fresher Cox on 3rd down.   One of the things I am concerned about is Cox playing too many snaps.... both during a game and cumulative for the season. 

My idea is a 2019 signing... where it's win now idea... then the player can walk and help with the comp picks.  Basically viewing it as a trade down and or time value of a year. Ie. 2020 pick for the 2021 pick .

Just that hopefully it's a better fit plus fill need better than Tate.

Hester I think comes back next year anyway.  Don't think his 2019 impact is enough to make a trade.  That's my opinion.  But I do think Howie thinks the same.  I can't see him trading for a guy we just cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now in hindsight.   Without signing Malik... we could probably have Long and Hester on the roster...  if in fact it is the exact reason we cut Hester over the other guys because he was too much like Malik.   Which IDK if it's true regardless of what's said. Simply because if a guy fits your system,  why not keep him over another guy of similar talent? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really just feel that the young guys are going to have to step up... either way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Now in hindsight.   Without signing Malik... we could probably have Long and Hester on the roster...  if in fact it is the exact reason we cut Hester over the other guys because he was too much like Malik.   Which IDK if it's true regardless of what's said. Simply because if a guy fits your system,  why not keep him over another guy of similar talent? 

It’s called building a team. You don’t want everybody that’s the same. You want different qualities to hopefully cover all the situations and matchups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I think we were just trying to look at the skill sets that we had at defensive end and defensive tackle and try to mix-and-match them and have a nice, complimentary skill-set.” Stated Rosie. Which is a good way to look at things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

I really just feel that the young guys are going to have to step up... either way.  

This is a must only way to sustain success have to have young guys step up....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

This is a must only way to sustain success have to have young guys step up....

That’s why I appreciate them getting reps early on. Howard was the obvious more veteran starting RB. But it’s crucial for the rook to get thrown in there and develop as much as possible by season’s end. The WR had a great opportunity..,but they failed us. Mack and JJ just didn’t deliver. Dillard I’m confident in that he will do just fine when we call on him this year. Obviously could use a young corner to step up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

That’s why I appreciate them getting reps early on. Howard was the obvious more veteran starting RB. But it’s crucial for the rook to get thrown in there and develop as much as possible by season’s end. The WR had a great opportunity..,but they failed us. Mack and JJ just didn’t deliver. Dillard I’m confident in that he will do just fine when we call on him this year. Obviously could use a young corner to step up.

WR one of the hardest positions to transition from college to the NFL....Mack limited college player then the injuries derailed him and JJ still young. Would have liked to have seen them perform a tad better but not to worried yet about them think they can still get there.

Sanders and Howard to thought it was easy let Howard be the lead guy sprinkle in Sanders and hopefully by seasons end Sanders is eating away more at Howard’s reps. Like Joe has said Howard is a great tone setter early on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I truly think Scandrick could be really good for our CBS.  Our CB group seriously inexperienced no true vet to guide them...Our old head was off injured Darby and not like he was this truly battled tested guy either before hand...Just having that vet guy to talk to and lean on at your position can be huge. Probably not much Acandrick has not faced at the nfl level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alshon has been a warrior for us. But he has traditionally dealt with injury problems. DJax even worse. So that would be a primary position of concern for me. The other three guys just haven’t stepped up. So I’d make the move for a WR if at all reasonable.  Especially a speed element receiver(shocker I know). But I also want a G. Get me a starting G and a speedy WR option and it’s all up to us on bringing home the trophy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I truly think Scandrick could be really good for our CBS.  Our CB group seriously inexperienced no true vet to guide them...Our old head was off injured Darby and not like he was this truly battled tested guy either before hand...Just having that vet guy to talk to and lean on at your position can be huge. Probably not much Acandrick has not faced at the nfl level

I’d lean more to Mills for that role. He’s earned it( and that was here not in D-town).

But Scandrick earned himself another week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting a top flight corner would always be welcome. But reinforcements are on the way I’m hoping. Mills, Darby, Maddox and LeBlanc...you would think somebody would rise up. Maybe it’s Scandrick, Douglas or Craig James. I’m not picky. I’ll take whoever wants to win the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’d lean more to Mills for that role. He’s earned it( and that was here not in D-town).

But Scandrick earned himself another week.

Mills is not that exp. either he has what 3 years under his belt....Scandrick has a career and at one point was a decent slot CB 

I’m not even talking on Scandrick playing just him being on the team helps the CBs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

It’s called building a team. You don’t want everybody that’s the same. You want different qualities to hopefully cover all the situations and matchups.

I get that ... but looking at our system... we don;t really use a Nose.   They pretty much have the same assignment as far as DTs.   So if one fits better, why cut him?     I'm talking specifically in this exact situation ... not bringing in Chip Kelly.... Ziggy Ansah... the 2013 3rd round ...etc.    Just 2019 Jim Schwartz and his system that he uses for his DTs.   Seems to be that its a penetrating system and is mirrored by both DTs.   I also think its a polite way of cutting a guy?  Or, hey we traded for this guy (dude from Indy) if we cut him now for a backup we already had, we kinda look dumb.   IDK, seems that this could be one of those cases where they feed us BS .. which we know happens a lot.  

IDK... it;s my own opinion ... going out on a limb so to speak.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

"I think we were just trying to look at the skill sets that we had at defensive end and defensive tackle and try to mix-and-match them and have a nice, complimentary skill-set.” Stated Rosie. Which is a good way to look at things.

Yep... which seems like sa good politically correct thing to say.... and a nice spin to the fanbase.   The Eagles are great at PR and marketing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Alshon has been a warrior for us. But he has traditionally dealt with injury problems. DJax even worse. So that would be a primary position of concern for me. The other three guys just haven’t stepped up. So I’d make the move for a WR if at all reasonable.  Especially a speed element receiver(shocker I know). But I also want a G. Get me a starting G and a speedy WR option and it’s all up to us on bringing home the trophy.

IDk... I'm asking seriously here because I don't read PFF or watch the film of games after like I know some of you all do.   Has #73 plaed 5 bad games so far that we need a knew starting LG for 100% certain.... that's its such a priority over the other spots?      I mean 5 bad games... or even 3??  The last two games zero sacks.  Game 1 seemed like Wentz had time.   ATL was a tough matchup for 73 ... are we overreacting for one game or has it been the trend?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 DT Hassan Ridgeway (Grade: 49.5): He became the Eagles’ de facto starter at defensive tackle next to Cox after injuries to Malik Jackson and Tim Jernigan, and so far PFF hasn’t been very impressed. He only has five pressures in 136 snaps and he has the 111th-ranked run defense grade (min. 20% of the snaps) among 116 eligible defensive tackles.

 This doesn’t count the Jets game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed... next 3 games on turf.   Time for the speed guys to step up.   big play time when presented with the opportunity.  Agholor, Sanders and Clement are guys I would like to see make some plays.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

 DT Hassan Ridgeway (Grade: 49.5): He became the Eagles’ de facto starter at defensive tackle next to Cox after injuries to Malik Jackson and Tim Jernigan, and so far PFF hasn’t been very impressed. He only has five pressures in 136 snaps and he has the 111th-ranked run defense grade (min. 20% of the snaps) among 116 eligible defensive tackles.

 This doesn’t count the Jets game

And some people (not here, but other groups, sites, radio..etc)  blame Cox????  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Seumalo grade of 51.1

I'm not familiar with what the numbers mean?     Is that a total number brought down by onereally brutal game????  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now