DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I love how right now we have a tough 6 game  stretch but if we win these games and couple of those teams end up with losing records...The narrative will completely be flipped on how we didn’t have a challenging schedule lol 

Don't worry about the narrative BG ..... we need 4-2 or 3-3 with a Dallas win and we are in good shape.    That last 5 game stretch works in our favor.  A win here would be nice to start us with some good momentum.    I would say we already have momentum after the 2 wins... but kinda doesn't feel that way.  Except for 2 things... DL starting to impact more and Howard.   2 keys IMO.  Also ... 2 games without our offense turning the ball over.... good trend.   

Keep Wentz clean and make sure we all shake hands twice before the kickoff and we should be good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Don't worry about the narrative BG ..... we need 4-2 or 3-3 with a Dallas win and we are in good shape.    That last 5 game stretch works in our favor.  A win here would be nice to start us with some good momentum.    I would say we already have momentum after the 2 wins... but kinda doesn't feel that way.  Except for 2 things... DL starting to impact more and Howard.   2 keys IMO.  Also ... 2 games without our offense turning the ball over.... good trend.   

Keep Wentz clean and make sure we all shake hands twice before the kickoff and we should be good!

Never worry about the narrative just find them funny....How quickly they change things up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

OK...agree with those type of quick but not necessarily fast guys ... but look at NE offense and compare it to ours or the Andy Reid style.

The Pats send guys long and or on outside routes .... it opens up room for the slot guy to run any typeof route .. delays, texas routes, crossing routes, inside out, outside in... whatever.      You look at Doug's route tree and Andy's type offense.   If they don't haveteh speed guy, they don't run those clearing routes very often.   They bunch guys.   And you see Wentz hold the ball due to that.  My point. I think the speed guy effects Doug and Andy's type of offense more so than the normal offense.    Just the same as a good front four is more necessary for Schwartz than other DCs.    In football many ways to succeed... but certain guys rely on certain things.  Seems like a speed guy in our offense is more impactful than most.  

ANd what I'm saying is they are ALL fast or they wouldn't be there.Your "speed" guys differences are MINIMAL a 4.3 vs a 4.4 isnt all that much enough difference to matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Nah... I think Doug doesn't send guys deep enough to clear out the under routes without having the speed guy.    Too much bunched stuff.   

Maybe he doesn't send them,still they are capable enough to pull a S .1 of a second doesn't make much difference.It's not like we  have turtles on the outside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I love how right now we have a tough 6 game  stretch but if we win these games and couple of those teams end up with losing records...The narrative will completely be flipped on how we didn’t have a challenging schedule lol 

I just want Dullaz SOOOOO Bad.My cowpie bud has been drilling me for years that we "always lose to us"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday's game will most likely be determined, IMHO, by turnovers. Whoever wins that battle should win the game.

On a neutral field, I think the Eagles should be favored. But the home team gets a little advantage, so I'm thinking the odds makers will consider the Eagles at Vikings to be about even. 

But there is another intangible, if the Eagles jump out early, I would expect the Vikings to implode. On the other hand, if the Vikings take an early lead, the Eagles won't fold but instead struggle back. As long as they don't turn over the ball, my prediction is another win for the Eagles.

Should be a good game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Never worry about the narrative just find them funny....How quickly they change things up 

Yeah, guy today was trying to tell my we overpaid Cox.....  "I said it from the beginning"  etc.   Yeah, you were pretty quiet there the last 3 years hunh?    He also educated me how Cox doesn't get double teamed....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

ANd what I'm saying is they are ALL fast or they wouldn't be there.Your "speed" guys differences are MINIMAL a 4.3 vs a 4.4 isnt all that much enough difference to matter

perception is part of it.  quickness and game speed too.    But if you look at all your posts in that part of the discussion... you were really the only one bringing up 40 times.   Game speed its obvious DeSean is just at another level... and like I said, you see it in the playcalling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Maybe he doesn't send them,still they are capable enough to pull a S .1 of a second doesn't make much difference.It's not like we  have turtles on the outside

Yeah, not disagreeing ... but what Doug decides to call is a big part of our offense.    So it does kinda matter.  That is something that comes into play for sure... when talking about impact on our team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, EaglesFanNoDak said:

Sunday's game will most likely be determined, IMHO, by turnovers. Whoever wins that battle should win the game.

On a neutral field, I think the Eagles should be favored. But the home team gets a little advantage, so I'm thinking the odds makers will consider the Eagles at Vikings to be about even. 

But there is another intangible, if the Eagles jump out early, I would expect the Vikings to implode. On the other hand, if the Vikings take an early lead, the Eagles won't fold but instead struggle back. As long as they don't turn over the ball, my prediction is another win for the Eagles.

Should be a good game.

The Minn defense plays well at home... the little edge in jumping off the ball can be a big factor.   Doug was talking about staying ahead of the chains... hopefully he uses the run in such a way to do that early.  If we take the run off the table vs this defense, we could be is serious trouble.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EaglesFanNoDak said:

Sunday's game will most likely be determined, IMHO, by turnovers. Whoever wins that battle should win the game.

On a neutral field, I think the Eagles should be favored. But the home team gets a little advantage, so I'm thinking the odds makers will consider the Eagles at Vikings to be about even. 

But there is another intangible, if the Eagles jump out early, I would expect the Vikings to implode. On the other hand, if the Vikings take an early lead, the Eagles won't fold but instead struggle back. As long as they don't turn over the ball, my prediction is another win for the Eagles.

Should be a good game.

Why would the Vikes fold at home? There is one way to do it,get to Cousins,but it has to be consistently.Our suspect secondary can get burned pretty fast with Diggs and Thielen,so we need to make sure those throws don't happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joemas6 said:

The Minn defense plays well at home... the little edge in jumping off the ball can be a big factor.   Doug was talking about staying ahead of the chains... hopefully he uses the run in such a way to do that early.  If we take the run off the table vs this defense, we could be is serious trouble.  

Yeah,Diggs and Thielen can burn us pretty fast.We need to consistently get to Cousins. Sometimes he reminds me of Eli.Get to him early and the forced errors begin.If it was me(which it's not) I'd be pounding that rock all first 1/4 vs same gap,and dropping dimes on Ertz and Goedert over and over.By the beginning of the 4th,you will have one tired D line facing you.Make no mistake they are capable of the BIG play,but we can control the game tempo and dink them into oblivion.Of course take a few shots downfield,but I see this as more a "game manager" type game.Could be wrong,Ped zags when I zig,so we shall see 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah, guy today was trying to tell my we overpaid Cox.....  "I said it from the beginning"  etc.   Yeah, you were pretty quiet there the last 3 years hunh?    He also educated me how Cox doesn't get double teamed....lol

Welp cunsidder urself edjecated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah, not disagreeing ... but what Doug decides to call is a big part of our offense.    So it does kinda matter.  That is something that comes into play for sure... when talking about impact on our team.  

I DO like the fact Ped listens to his QB's.They are on the front line and can see little things that can't be seen from the sidelines. I know it sounds crazy(but this happened to me in HS).We were getting kicked.Our QB went to the coach and said "hey coach,you know if the line shifted about 3 inches to the right when they line up,it could help".Coach listened and told the linemen,move 4 inches to your right on the line-up,we took the game over and won it.it was that 3-4 inch difference that sprung our RB's free.Just the fact that little bit of leverage/placement did the trick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a biggity fool! :nonono:

Quote

"Though the athletes of today are certainly superior to those in my days, we miss the clean-cut young men and women from those days,” the letter states. "Watching the Idaho game on TV we couldn’t help but notice your — well — awful hair. Surely there must be mirrors in the locker room!

"Don’t you have parents or girlfriend who’ve told you those shoulder length dreadlocks look disgusting and are certainly not attractive.”

https://fox43.com/2019/10/08/update-penn-state-coach-james-franklin-issues-statement-after-letter-writer-criticizes-players-appearance-hairstylepenn-state-ad-tweets-support-for-players-after-older-graduate-criticizes-players/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK if we had terrific CB's possibly Schwartz would blitz more.But we've never had 2 cover CB's recently.So,IMO He has to do with what he has and although we all love blitzes,if you don;t have the people,then you have to do other things  

For the sake of the argument and also possibly having another D equivalent to the '91 Gang Green I'd love to see the probability if Schwartz had like an Eric Allen/Troy Vincent pairing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Passing fad.In the 70's it was long hair,then the 80's was afro's,90's was bald/shaven.Although I personally don't like dreads,it's just another passing fad(they are welcome to bring back mini skirts and boots IMO lol)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Passing fad.In the 70's it was long hair,then the 80's was afro's,90's was bald/shaven.

Yeah I get that. What I'm getting at though is this guy discriminating over someone for their hairstyle. People doing the same because of the color of skin. Does it really matter??? (rhetorical)

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

(they are welcome to bring back mini skirts and boots IMO lol)

👀 👍 You mean sumtin like this? I dig it! GROOVY LOL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I love how right now we have a tough 6 game  stretch but if we win these games and couple of those teams end up with losing records...The narrative will completely be flipped on how we didn’t have a challenging schedule lol 

LOL yeah…by the blindfolded haters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy Slater of Fox Sports 640 passed along ticket prices for various entertainment options available to sports and non-sports fans in the Miami area, and a trip to Zoo Miami will set someone back $23.   

That is $7 more than it costs to get into Hard Rock Stadium to see the winless Miami Dolphins take on winless Washington.    LMAO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been busy lately. Trying to catch up. Some thoughts after reading posts from the past few weeks:

Careful those of you who said Cousins is not good.  It was Cousins with this Vikings team that beat the Eagles in PHILLY just last year.  Cousins has been streaky good in his career.  Give him some credit.

GBFL - mentioned Brett Rypien as a desired backup QB.  Hmmm. I'm here in Boise and I saw a LOT of Rypien. He is a statue that made some boneheaded throws under pressure without a really strong arm.  I like him better than Thorson whom the Eagles drafted, but that's not saying much.

Sunday's game vs the Jets....yielded TWO posts during the game.  I found that kind of funny actually.

EagleTD123 - your video of the little kid falling flat on his face on the couch "related to watching soccer" was hilarious! I mean hilarious!

This Monday morning my boss asked me how my weekend was. My response, "it was freaking awesome!  Eagles won. Cowpies, Midgets, and Deadskins all lost."  Pretty sad when you measure your weekend off of that I know.  But I love the Eagles!

Joemas - why do you continue to berate AR? He is a hell of a coach in this league. Let it go dude. Berate the idiot Chip Kelly. He single-handedly dismantled a good Eagles team. So glad he is long gone. So glad!

Those of you who last year wanted Jason Peters to retire....come on now.  He is not the same player he was 5 years ago clearly, but is still a top 10 LT in the league.  And he can be a HUGE asset to the next LT for this team RIGHT NOW.  There were also some here saying that Jenkins was losing it some too. No way!  That dude is the man of this defense period!

Regarding the schedule: so much can happen between now and when the Eagles play this team or that team and when the Cowpies play them.  What if the Eagles play the Pats with full health and when the Cowpies play them there is no Brady?  Too many variables to worry about week 12-16 now.  Let's see the Eagles beat the Vikings, play well on all three phases, and come out of it healthy. That's all that matters right now.

Why argue about who called what?  More than 1/2 the time we are all wrong with our opinions anyway.  So you liked one out of ten college guys that turned out to be good. Congrats. Who cares.  The Eagles are decimated with injuries in the secondary. That is a worry. Teams will go after the untested guys. So the Eagles better prepare them well. And hey, these guys get a chance to see if they belong or not.  Step up! Show the world you belong. Or see ya later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 9:19 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

That’s why I appreciate them getting reps early on. Howard was the obvious more veteran starting RB. But it’s crucial for the rook to get thrown in there and develop as much as possible by season’s end. The WR had a great opportunity..,but they failed us. Mack and JJ just didn’t deliver. Dillard I’m confident in that he will do just fine when we call on him this year. Obviously could use a young corner to step up.

Agreed, I had greater expectations for Hollins and JJAW...fact is it takes yrs for WR’s to transition from the college game. There are certainly exceptions ...Hollins has been a key ST cog... his focus hasn’t been catching passes from Carson...JJAW needs to learn his pro craft... Doug’s Offense this season is still growing... Yea I want more...NOW... I wanted Howard to be used as a Hammer like he was used in the past...I was pretty upset with Doug, however,  Howard has shown he can be a receiving threat.  Peedy continues to use Howard in that dual role... I think it makes Howard a much more effective weapon. Hmmmm ... Doug just might know a little bit more than me in player utilization...hehehehehehe.

23 hours ago, stine said:

Injuries happen every year to all teams Joe. No, I don't give him a pass for the last two years. Why does NE always seem to get thru injuries? Good Coaching, that's why.

 

I would agree with Joe and I am glad you guys brought it up... Is Peedy and Schwartz the Second best coaches, winning games without their stars and without their best players on the field....in the NFL.  Stine, as you say above the Patriots never seem to miss a beat. Since Peedy and Schwartz been here our injuries have been ridiculous. This year has been terrible with injuries yet unlike the Washington Deadskins and the other teams in the league with major injuries, we are still considered contenders... Who else has been better at willing their injured team to victory than Peedy and Schwartz the last three seasons? Impressive job by those coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Why would the Vikes fold at home? There is one way to do it,get to Cousins,but it has to be consistently.Our suspect secondary can get burned pretty fast with Diggs and Thielen,so we need to make sure those throws don't happen

GreenbleedinFL, I respect your opinion. But I threw that notion out there somewhat purposely to make a point. I believe the Vikings have some self-doubt, especially Cousins.

If the Eagles get an early lead, he, Cousins, will feel the pressure of making something happen and reacting to pressure hasn't been his strong suit. It seems that even his teammates are not fully confident that he will take the initiative to take the needed risk(s) to lead a team to victory.

Cousins isn't like Brady or Rogers or other QBs who have demonstrated the where-with-all to play clutch. Instead he focuses on not making a mistake rather than how can I help to win the game. What one focuses on is very important. Focus on winning and you're likely to win. Focus on (not making) mistakes and you'll most likely make mistakes. With the wrong focus it all snowballs downward onto itself.

He creates (but I completed a high percentage of passes (many of which went to the check-down)) and finds excuses for himself rather than being totally focused on how to help the team win. And that is what separates elite teammates from the also-rans.  And that is why I think the Eagles should be favored to win - the starting QBs are not equal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now