DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

2 hours ago, stine said:

GBFL- Most on here are acting like Mills is the Answer. Don't get me wrong. He may be better than Jones, but he still got burnt on double moves last year multiple times. He is not the best CB around IMO.... Eagles need to do a better job of grading the DBacks in the draft next year. We need to get a solid Corner and another safety, as ours are getting up there in age.

Douglas seems to be getting better though. I firmly think he is our Best CB. Maddox may be the answer in the slot, but he struggles on the outside...

Not a Mills fan...I read a lot about his ReD Zone effectiveness, Schwartz love his competitiveness... just not confident in him as player with his limited speed and poor Defense...until our opponents get to theRed Zone where he seems most effective... VS say Rasul also not a quick twitch type of player...his length at 06’02” lends to better play overall...Rasul has shown he  improves the more he stays on the field ... Mills seems to just get by... probably my Bias ...cause he’s Coach favorite ...Mills just barely wins.... I’m nitpicking... ...I miss ....having the Eric Allen... Troy Vincent type of confidence in our CB back there...So many thought when Darby was out there that he was our best CB.... Darby didn’t give me that confidence either... Hope Sydney and Rasul and Maddox could become that.

3 hours ago, stine said:

GBFL- Most on here are acting like Mills is the Answer. Don't get me wrong. He may be better than Jones, but he still got burnt on double moves last year multiple times. He is not the best CB around IMO.... Eagles need to do a better job of grading the DBacks in the draft next year. We need to get a solid Corner and another safety, as ours are getting up there in age.

Douglas seems to be getting better though. I firmly think he is our Best CB. Maddox may be the answer in the slot, but he struggles on the outside...

Stine,nope never said he was  the answer,but improvement at ANY position is welcome.Agree we could use some better scouts at secondary positions(like US on here,we've picked a few goodies lol)

41 minutes ago, trini said:

Not a Mills fan...I read a lot about his ReD Zone effectiveness, Schwartz love his competitiveness... just not confident in him as player with his limited speed and poor Defense...until our opponents get to theRed Zone where he seems most effective... VS say Rasul also not a quick twitch type of player...his length at 06’02” lends to better play overall...Rasul has shown he  improves the more he stays on the field ... Mills seems to just get by... probably my Bias ...cause he’s Coach favorite ...Mills just barely wins.... I’m nitpicking... ...I miss ....having the Eric Allen... Troy Vincent type of confidence in our CB back there...So many thought when Darby was out there that he was our best CB.... Darby didn’t give me that confidence either... Hope Sydney and Rasul and Maddox could become that.

IDK isn't the object of a secondary to stop TD's? OK so we suck between the 20's,but if they can't score I will take that all day.See,we kinda built our team on RUN D,and they are doing a good job,so let them garner their yards.But with a nice run D near the GL they wont be running the ball,which means if we are excellent inside the 20 with our secondary,they get a FG at best and I will trade FG's for TD's every time

1 hour ago, trini said:

Trini, I am in a group of some old EMB members who no longer post on here. They just email all back and forth as they prefer it. Anyway, one mentioned that the reason we have to trade away our higher draft picks to solidify a position is because we stink at drafting that Position. CB was brought up. Maddox and Jones 4th and 2nd round picks. Had we jumped two spots, we could have had King instead of Jones. Plus he would have contributed right away. Maddox seems OK in the slot but hasn't really shown well outside yet. Anyway, We do need to get better at it. Some positions we seem to do well at. D-Line and O-Line, TE we seem good. Hard to tell on LB because we never draft anyone before the 3rd round at that position...

I agree though. I would love another Eric Allen....

I do have to say I was totally wrong about Mcleod. He has been a pleasant Surprise...

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK isn't the object of a secondary to stop TD's? OK so we suck between the 20's,but if they can't score I will take that all day.See,we kinda built our team on RUN D,and they are doing a good job,so let them garner their yards.But with a nice run D near the GL they wont be running the ball,which means if we are excellent inside the 20 with our secondary,they get a FG at best and I will trade FG's for TD's every time

Although I agree GBFL, some of those long pass plays go the distance. So we have no red Zone.....

22 hours ago, stine said:

You missed the part  "a defense Battling injury after injury all season long"?

Stine... lol ... I understand ... all season long ... that's a writers opinion of how the guys were.... the fact remains... the link that I sent, those guys played all those games.    16 by each pro bowl DB.  16 by other guys and 15 by a few too.      Then, the 2nd string replaced those guys, 2nd string NFL players who were there all offseason etc.       Also ... that defense gave up 25 points in the SB...  its not like they are doing any better than Schwartz defense this year????  

The Eagles situation is clearly different... other than Douglas , none of the other top 6 CBs played?    We are getting guys off the street.  Same thing that happened last year.    If we could just go to 2nd string, that would be awesome.      It's just completely different going on the street to find guys # 7 and 8 to play as opposed to having #3 and #4 (your nickel and dime guys anyway) to just move to starting.   It just is.  And again... they gave up 25 points with legit 2nd string guys... compare that to us this year or last year?  

One a different note: I wish the Eagles would use the shovel pass some. Against the Vikings and other teams with an aggressive D-Line, I think a shuttle pass could really work well. That and a good dose of screen passes, etc.  Let the D-line in and then watch them scramble to catch up with one of the backs that the Eagles have. In my game plan; run some then hand off to RB who flips back to Wentz who then throws deep. 

2 minutes ago, EaglesFanNoDak said:

One a different note: I wish the Eagles would use the shuttle pass some. Against the Vikings and other teams with an aggressive D-Line, I think a shuttle pass could really work well. That and a good dose of screen passes, etc.  Let the D-line in and then watch them scramble to catch up with one of the backs that the Eagles have. In my game plan; run some then hand off to RB who flips back to Wentz who then throws deep. 

Whoops! I mean Shovel pass!!!

1 hour ago, stine said:

Although I agree GBFL, some of those long pass plays go the distance. So we have no red Zone.....

Welp big plays go against every team,some throws you just can't defense.it's not like we;'re the only ones it happens to.My point is keep those at a minimum because were GOOD inside the 20

1 hour ago, EaglesFanNoDak said:

One a different note: I wish the Eagles would use the shovel pass some. Against the Vikings and other teams with an aggressive D-Line, I think a shuttle pass could really work well. That and a good dose of screen passes, etc.  Let the D-line in and then watch them scramble to catch up with one of the backs that the Eagles have. In my game plan; run some then hand off to RB who flips back to Wentz who then throws deep. 

We have some trick plays,why use them now and show our hand? You get a similar result with a screen pass.If you drop the pass it's incomplete,if you shovel pass and it's missed it is now a fumble.Play the odds of making less room for errors.If you're going to make a mistake I'd rather it be an incomplete pass

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Stine... lol ... I understand ... all season long ... that's a writers opinion of how the guys were.... the fact remains... the link that I sent, those guys played all those games.    16 by each pro bowl DB.  16 by other guys and 15 by a few too.      Then, the 2nd string replaced those guys, 2nd string NFL players who were there all offseason etc.       Also ... that defense gave up 25 points in the SB...  its not like they are doing any better than Schwartz defense this year????  

The Eagles situation is clearly different... other than Douglas , none of the other top 6 CBs played?    We are getting guys off the street.  Same thing that happened last year.    If we could just go to 2nd string, that would be awesome.      It's just completely different going on the street to find guys # 7 and 8 to play as opposed to having #3 and #4 (your nickel and dime guys anyway) to just move to starting.   It just is.  And again... they gave up 25 points with legit 2nd string guys... compare that to us this year or last year?   

OK, First I think Scandrick is better than all but Douglas. So not sure you would call him guy off the street. Darby suited up 3 of 5 games, Douglas suited up all 5, Maddox suited up 4 of 5 games and Jones suited up 4 of 5 games. This is according to your Stat experts. So this is terrible? It looks like they only had real issues for one game and against the Jets we need to worry? 

Now, you are going to say, how much did they play in those games. My answer is how much did the GB Packers play? Saying a player starts is not saying they played 1 minute or all 60.... It works both ways.

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Agreed...so perhaps what I take issue with....  I know you have seen this..... 1.30 seconds left in game ... Opponent is at their own  2 yd line ,trying to get a first down .opponent has a 3rd and 10 yd to go  and Mills is playing 15 yds off the WR... he plays that way, all the way,  all the way to our Red Zone. That’s my biggest issue I have had with Schwartz  D previously.... Remember ... I am also from the JJ school of D...don’t really care about the yardage in between the 20 yd lines. My Problem... We just CEDE those yards waaaayyyyy to easily for my taste. I need better talent and effort before they get to our EndZone. Can Mills become a more effective Safety.?

32 minutes ago, trini said:

Agreed...so perhaps what I take issue with....  I know you have seen this..... 1.30 seconds left in game ... Opponent is at their own  2 yd line ,trying to get a first down .opponent has a 3rd and 10 yd to go  and Mills is playing 15 yds off the WR... he plays that way, all the way,  all the way to our Red Zone. That’s my biggest issue I have had with Schwartz  D previously.... Remember ... I am also from the JJ school of D...don’t really care about the yardage in between the 20 yd lines. My Problem... We just CEDE those yards waaaayyyyy to easily for my taste. I need better talent and effort before they get to our EndZone. Can Mills become a more effective Safety.?

Yeah,I have been bringing that up for oh since I have been on here lol.Thing is we play zone mostly,so we don't have the man coverage talent.Like you though I wish they would play 9 yards off on a 3rd and 10 and not 11 lol

With only 2 healthy RB's on the roster, I'll pose this question.

Would you sign Jay Ajayi and put one of Sproles/Clement on IR, or would you bring Boston Scott up from the PS?

Dang it! I thought Corey Clement was going to be a good player here for a few years. Doubt it now.

49 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

With only 2 healthy RB's on the roster, I'll pose this question.

Would you sign Jay Ajayi and put one of Sproles/Clement on IR, or would you bring Boston Scott up from the PS?

I gotta think Ajayi is still in play for the right price and is he healthy. Read Howie has been kicking the tires on the likes of Von Miller, and Odell need the Broncos to lose a few more games.

4 hours ago, stine said:

I do have to say I was totally wrong about Mcleod. He has been a pleasant Surprise...

Ehhh.... not really wrong.... he was playing more centerfield before.  Not really play making, more clean up stuff.   We saw how we suffered without him last year, but really he was only noticed for when he messed up.  This year they have put him in more positions to make plays.   He has made them.  

4 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

We have some trick plays,why use them now and show our hand? You get a similar result with a screen pass.If you drop the pass it's incomplete,if you shovel pass and it's missed it is now a fumble.Play the odds of making less room for errors.If you're going to make a mistake I'd rather it be an incomplete pass

Ah, good to know. I didn't know that and had assumed a shovel pass was considered an incomplete pass if dropped.

11 hours ago, stine said:

Been saying since last year Rasul has been our best CB. He just keeps getting better the more he plays as well....Also added bonus he stays healthy 

4 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

I just hope Scott shows he can be a great return man...We need a return man. Anything he adds on top of the return game to me would be a bonus