DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

To me it’s a balancing act of today vs the future. We have an old team. We can use an influx of good young talent through the draft.

Lose against the Cowboys and it will be tougher to pull the trigger on a trade. Especially if it’s for an older player. Or a rental player. Going to be hard to justify spending a first round pick, for sure.

A win gives a shot in the arm that this team has postseason aspirations, for real. Makes you think about rental player situations and such. Also makes you consider giving up a high pick to get us over the hump. 
 Crossroads moment for so many things. Trade deadline looming has to be one of them.

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

To me it’s a balancing act of today vs the future. We have an old team. We can use an influx of good young talent through the draft.

Lose against the Cowboys and it will be tougher to pull the trigger on a trade. Especially if it’s for an older player. Or a rental player. Going to be hard to justify spending a first round pick, for sure.

A win gives a shot in the arm that this team has postseason aspirations, for real. Makes you think about rental player situations and such. Also makes you consider giving up a high pick to get us over the jump. 
 Crossroads moment for so many things. Trade deadline looming has to be one of them.

IDK.. I guess the mindset is that of a rental player?  I was thinking a trade needs to be good... not just for this year.   But if its for this year at the right price... I don't think losing to Dallas kills the chances of winning the division at all.  So yeah the right player at rhe right price... I don't think 1st rounder is on the table either way.  

5 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

A win gives a shot in the arm that this team has postseason aspirations, for real. Makes you think about rental player situations and such. Also makes you consider giving up a high pick to get us over the hump. 

We get young guys in the draft,but they take time to develop(AG,Jones etc) We kinda had to toss Jjaw into the fire.Sanders has had an impact,would like to see him grow as the season goes on,but really we tend to go get older players after the draft anyway,for experience,work ethic or whatever to mentor the young guys.We really need more young guys to step it up IMO.Barnett was the "next big thing" and of course Dillard,but so far they aren't making much impact.every year we say "gotta get younger" and we will say that every year from now on lol

To me... a CB from Cincy or Harris from Denver ... maybe for a #3, 4 or 5    A trade for Howard for a #1 .. to me isn't happening.   Maybe another player for a late round pick.     But the blockbuster isn't happening, so I don't think a win or loss effects the chances much. 

Originally I thought you were going with the idea that if we won, then maybe we don't think we need a trade?   Seems like you are thinking if we lose, then its not worth it?   IDK... one game, where we still need to get players back.  I don't think the Eagles would think they are out of it, so if they could help themselves with a trade, then they will do it.  

Harris may be off the board .... but if you can get him for a 3rd, and he brings back a 4th in comp pick... its Tate all over again, except for a better fit.    Not the end of the world as far as draft picks.  If its anyone else... I would hope Howie looks to get an Ajayi type where its for more than one year.  At this point, of all the big names that went, Clowney was the one year rental, I don't think it needs to be with that mindset.  

29 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Seems like you are thinking if we lose, then its not worth it?   IDK... one game, where we still need to get players back.  I don't think the Eagles would think they are out of it, so if they could help themselves with a trade, then they will do it.  

Maybe that’s more the question...out of what? A chance at making the playoffs? Nope wouldn’t technically be out of that. Being a legit contender to win a Super Bowl this season? That’s the question I’m more concerned with answering. Especially when it concerns future draft picks vs need for this season.

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Welp if you know who the "right people" are,there's a job waiting for you at Novacare my friend.All you can do is the best you can do.Getting Djax back will help.IDK,if he had 15 TD's and 600 yards at this point would you feel it's a waste? Noone can predict the future

It's not my job to know though. And you can't stop making moves because a prior move hasn't really paid off due to injury.

12 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Are you willing to go ‘all in’ on the 2019 Eagles? 

So again... it depends on the player and the price.    would you trade Harris for a 5th round pick?   If we lose the next 2 games?   What is the downside?  you get him for now, get a comp pick in 2021.     vs. we win 2 games .... would you trade a 1st for him?     The answers stays no.  

you find an Ajayi type deal... you make it.   I think that has always been the level that I had in mnd... the right player, fit and price... and some value past 2019.    Or a Clff Harris for a mid rounder... where you get the comp pick value back.    My mindset hasn't changed.

A Ramsey trade would have been long term.   Anything involving a 1st rounder to me needs to be long term, so a win or loss doesn't change my mindset.   

17 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Are you willing to go ‘all in’ on the 2019 Eagles? 

Are the Rams "All in for 2019"  with the Ramsey trade?  Or do you think they are looking long term with the trade?    Pittsburgh lost their QB... they traded a 1st for Fitzpatrick,  I imagine long term is in mind?      I gues to me, I don't lose sleep over a Golden Tate type trade.  I prefer it to be more of Ajayi due to fit... but either way, losing a 3rd rounder and getting comp pick value back the following year isn't setting my franchise back.  so if the right move is there, we make it.  

I'm looking at our team ... the pass rush scares me.. I don't care what PFF says... it scares me a lot.   Going past 2019, i'm terrified of having our DL go downhill fast during the year Cox will turn 30 and all the other guys are older... Barnett not being a superstar.    So if a pass rusher is there to be had to where we can keep him longer... I would love it.   more so for past 2019 where I feel the need is more.   Ostman, Hall... I can't rely on those guys.   They could be much needed depth, and it would be great.   But I'm seeing that as the long term downfall of this team, where it can fall off the cliff.  I also want to keep early picks because our OL needs help via age.   

The lines concern me... because I want to dominate ... not just be good by PFF standards... I want 2017 level on the lines.  

33 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's not my job to know though. And you can't stop making moves because a prior move hasn't really paid off due to injury.

Only so much money to go around lol.Don't need to make moves just to make moves-JMO.Noone says the moves you DO make would be any better

10 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Are the Rams "All in for 2019"  with the Ramsey trade?  Or do you think they are looking long term with the trade?    Pittsburgh lost their QB... they traded a 1st for Fitzpatrick,  I imagine long term is in mind?      I gues to me, I don't lose sleep over a Golden Tate type trade.  I prefer it to be more of Ajayi due to fit... but either way, losing a 3rd rounder and getting comp pick value back the following year isn't setting my franchise back.  so if the right move is there, we make it.  

I'm looking at our team ... the pass rush scares me.. I don't care what PFF says... it scares me a lot.   Going past 2019, i'm terrified of having our DL go downhill fast during the year Cox will turn 30 and all the other guys are older... Barnett not being a superstar.    So if a pass rusher is there to be had to where we can keep him longer... I would love it.   more so for past 2019 where I feel the need is more.   Ostman, Hall... I can't rely on those guys.   They could be much needed depth, and it would be great.   But I'm seeing that as the long term downfall of this team, where it can fall off the cliff.  I also want to keep early picks because our OL needs help via age.   

The lines concern me... because I want to dominate ... not just be good by PFF standards... I want 2017 level on the lines.  

Cox-full practice,so there's that.not that I thought he would NOT play,but nice to know he will 

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

To me... a CB from Cincy or Harris from Denver ... maybe for a #3, 4 or 5    A trade for Howard for a #1 .. to me isn't happening.   Maybe another player for a late round pick.     But the blockbuster isn't happening, so I don't think a win or loss effects the chances much. 

Originally I thought you were going with the idea that if we won, then maybe we don't think we need a trade?   Seems like you are thinking if we lose, then its not worth it?   IDK... one game, where we still need to get players back.  I don't think the Eagles would think they are out of it, so if they could help themselves with a trade, then they will do it.  

Struggling here to get to the bye week.Unless it's a LT player signing,I dont see us going there for a 2 game rental.Hopefully more will be back when we face the pats

But sure there are some trades that are long term. Win/loss wouldn’t change my thinking. Short term rentals definitely it would effect. Like if we could trade for Sanders and Harris from the Broncos for a third and fourth round pick. Over thirty players that are one year rentals. That’s win now moves all the way. But there is plenty of grey area. To get specific is too time consuming. 31 other teams full of potential player options. Plenty of grey area in between. And the thoughts of need for draft picks. If you really didn’t see things going well for us(say Wentz goes down to season ending injury) we could actually be Sellers. Add quality future draft picks and be on the other side of the spectrum.

Seen an interesting article of players the Eagles could possibly target at or around the trade deadline. Some interesting names though most I think we have mentioned.

CBs- Peterson, Harris, Howard

DL-Ngakou, Williams(Jets DT), Dunlap

WRs- Anderson(Jets), Callaway(Browns), Parker(Miami)

BG I’ve been looking at the Chargers. Several options on that very talented team. Maybe we could actually pry Keenan Allen away from them. I’d give a first and second for him. They have CB, LB, RB and pass rusher possibilities also. Seems like if they lose this weekend they’d be out of the postseason picture. Old QB...they need to move in another direction.

Tough watching Mecole Hardman make plays for KC. We needed a speedy receiver return man. But we took Sanders(early) instead and then KC traded right in front of us to take him the pick before we took JJ. How different things would be if we took Hardman and then Sanders. All that speed added to the offense. Wouldn’t have considered Sproles even.

9 hours ago, stine said:

One thing to add is Dallas has won the last 3 against us so kind of important we get some confidence back against them

Stine sorry what I said below...last year, I ain’t one to make excuses when we get beat...the league gave the Star both wins.

9 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Lmao your missing the point all together. Dallas would take the lead in the record also be 3-0 in the division likely not going to lose to the Giants/Skins(the 2nd matchups)

So then not only would we have to keep a similar or better record to the Boys would then also have to beat them at home later in the year.

on top of that would have to possibly win another tie breaker if we have a similar record say both 10-6(say both teams go 5-1 in the division)

Would have to rely on our conference record similar opponents and with L to Vikings and Lions already not in a good spot there.

so no  it the end of our season but again this a W this week makes for a much easier time the rest of the season.

Agreed a Win this week goes a long way... to me if we lose this WE the league demands we lose at our house later to them Gals. Like last year... we lost... there were game changing referee calls that favored the Cowifches at key periods in the game... The talk had become deafening...the #1 money maker in the league. The Cow#itches ...the star ...  hadn’t won anything in 20 yrs... the whole league profits. The league needed the Cow#itches to rise to prominence.

7 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Come on... we injected the CFL LB and got rid of the overpaid underachieving vet who didn't fit in.  Moves are being made !!!!!   Mills will help too... regardless of how anyone wants to critique his play, the dude plays hard and with passion.  With the goalie mentality, get burned then go right back at it.  That all plays in a little.  Also... not every team has Diggs and Theilen... playing at home with no weather and their QB just called out by the opponent...with Dalvin Cook as a priority to worry about.   sometimes matchups make it seem worse.  You win or you lose... either way you learn and move on.    Big game Sunday night!  The game we all wait for each year.  Minnesota will be forgotten either way on Monday.  

All this talk bout beating the Cowitches... well I seriously dislike the Cowitches....a win is ALWAYS welcome against them ... in the Big Picture... we have until October 29 for Howie to finalize the team we’ re trying to get to the SB. My #1 need is a DLineman that can get pressure, we need to generate pressure ....Chris Long where are you? Beating the Cow#itches always matter....just don’t think we’re good enough As is to compete wit the best from the other Divisions. Let’s go Howie. 

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

BG I’ve been looking at the Chargers. Several options on that very talented team. Maybe we could actually pry Keenan Allen away from them. I’d give a first and second for him. They have CB, LB, RB and pass rusher possibilities also. Seems like if they lose this weekend they’d be out of the postseason picture. Old QB...they need to move in another direction.

I like Keenan Allen not sure I’d give a 1st and a 2nd for him though....Maybe our late 1st rounder which I think would have to be the logic to trade for him is we are planning to make a run.