DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

We are talking about the youth. And sure looking at Hall to become that fourth DE. Nothing wrong with that. Crucial under Schwartz. Ostman he was developing that Joker role along with normal DE responsibilities. Miller maybe can or can’t. But he’s in the pipeline now. Sweat Schwartz referred to as a good young player on the come. Said his sack wasn’t his best play but was impressed by him chasing the run down from the backside behind. Sweat and Ostman really got noticeably much stronger this offseason. 
  Separate Barnett because I’ve already seen how good he can be. Incredible player and talent. Goes after the ball and plays smart. He recovered all offseason. Then has been dealing with several injuries. Played through it well. Hasn’t produced mega sack numbers yet. So some might still question him. Not me. Really like him. 
  So at DE we have a bunch of young talent. Need it to step up a bit more immediately is the only concern I have. Play at DT could improve and really help out the Ends as well. Ridgeway seemingly is coming on but isn’t the weapon that Malik and Timmy would/will be. Cox had a bit of a slow start(for his standards). 

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

"Wentz has dealt with 17 drops thus far, which is the most any quarterback has had this season. In addition, this receiving unit that is littered with talent has been horrendous in contested-catch situations, hauling in just 33.3% of their contested targets (27th).”

5:17 PM - Oct 17, 2019                This says it all and the "bash" is unwarranted

54 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The thing is doesn’t everybody assume Josina’s anonymous source is Alshon Jeffrey? She was the first to report he was becoming an Eagles. Reported his offseason injury situation. Then last season reported how Wentz was locked in to Ertz too much.

Tell him to get open lol.Wentz is a QB,not a magician

Graham, Barnett, Sweat and then Curry. Curry being the bigger more stout DE. So yes I agree with trying to utilize him on first downs and short yardage situations. So technically Hall is fifth DE. But he’s definitely more a pass rusher. Graham is a proven commodity. Great or at least very good DE. Barnett very good and still on the way up. Sweat(like Schwartz stated) is on the come. Very early in his career still. Heck Graham people still hated and didn’t believe in several seasons into his career.

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

"Wentz has dealt with 17 drops thus far, which is the most any quarterback has had this season. In addition, this receiving unit that is littered with talent has been horrendous in contested-catch situations, hauling in just 33.3% of their contested targets (27th).”

5:17 PM - Oct 17, 2019                This says it all and the "bash" is unwarranted

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Tell him to get open lol.Wentz is a QB,not a magician

Some of this would maybe go to Wentz as a leader. No question Wentz arm and talent. But something has to be said about getting the most out of your teammates. I’m a huge Wentz fan but have to admit that he doesn’t bring out the best always of his teammates. Just no denying the way the team came on last season once Foles took over. Seemed like across the board each player was a notch  better. 

16 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

We are talking about the youth. And sure looking at Hall to become that fourth DE. Nothing wrong with that. Crucial under Schwartz. Ostman he was developing that Joker role along with normal DE responsibilities. Miller maybe can or can’t. But he’s in the pipeline now. Sweat Schwartz referred to as a good young player on the come. Said his sack wasn’t his best play but was impressed by him chasing the run down from the backside behind. Sweat and Ostman really got noticeably much stronger this offseason. 
  Separate Barnett because I’ve already seen how good he can be. Incredible player and talent. Goes after the ball and plays smart. He recovered all offseason. Then has been dealing with several injuries. Played through it well. Hasn’t produced mega sack numbers yet. So some might still question him. Not me. Really like him. 
  So at DE we have a bunch of young talent. Need it to step up a bit more immediately is the only concern I have. Play at DT could improve and really help out the Ends as well. Ridgeway seemingly is coming on but isn’t the weapon that Malik and Timmy would/will be. Cox had a bit of a slow start(for his standards). 

Ostman I like.Barnett has to prove to me he's tough enough to stay in.hard to say when he's riding pine

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Some of this would maybe go to Wentz as a leader. No question Wentz arm and talent. But something has to be said about getting the most out of your teammates. I’m a huge Wentz fan but have to admit that he doesn’t bring out the best always of his teammates. Just no denying the way the team came on last season once Foles took over. Seemed like across the board each player was a notch  better. 

17 drops(leads the league BTW) but you are blaming the thrower? ZIP to do with leadership,everything to do with "do your job"

Screw up at your job,then blame your boss.I've been a boss many times and I refuse to accept that from anyone.While I was always open to suggestions,it's not my fault you can't perform your job duties,so you have a choice,go elsewhere,or suck it up and do what you are paid to do

6 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Screw up at your job,then blame your boss.I've been a boss many times and I refuse to accept that from anyone.While I was always open to suggestions,it's not my fault you can't perform your job duties,so you have a choice,go elsewhere,or suck it up and do what you are paid to do

And there is the option of being a better boss also. That maybe you can go about things differently to get more out of your employees. Get them to accel instead of worried about making mistakes. A positive environment that’s conducive to success. Giving them responsibility and ownership of the achievements.

43 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Right... developing...  young... potential. Absolutely..." nothing wrong with that"

We need better than all that to win now.  And these guys are all potential.. unknowns when it will come to having serious roles,  not part timers.    It's a big question.   

It's a big step down in production from 2017.  The goal was different there. That DL big reason why the SB came to town 

27 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

This is so tough to judge because felt like Doug was a much better play caller with Foles he knew Foles was limited talent player was willing to lean on the ground game more and stay more balanced because of it....With Wentz feel like he wants to do to much.

Really not shocking our team is at its best when we have a good balance.....Want to know what happened to the 2017 play calls with Wentz.

We used to use a lot more single back sets and let Wentz take snaps under center things he really liked and seems like we getting away from those things 

30 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Yeah.... Wentz stunk as a leader in 2017 when the team was better.  No denying the defense started playing better with Foles.  The offense identical output vs weaker defenses.  Just facts.  

Would be awesome if Wentz could call a play where he could throw it to himself.  No doubt he could probably raise the level of his teammates then.

So you guys are watching and feeling Wentz is forcing stuff?

To me the season can be summed up on one play. A perfect dime to Alshon that is a TD 99% of the time. Difficult throw with distance and angle... right there I stride.   And Alshon goes out of bounds... the wind from inside the dome was the reason...lol.  

There are actually idiots who say it could have been thrown better. It was a dime to a professional WR.. a TD.

That's the 2019 season so far... a 3-3 that could have been easily 5-1.

If you have Mills and Rasul as the starters this week I’m gambling if I’m Schwartz have them line up and be physical with the WRs at the LoS both are bigger longer CBs....Disruption to the short timing routes and hopefully by the time they got into there deep run routes the pass rush can get home. 

Just now, joemas6 said:

So you guys are watching and feeling Wentz is forcing stuff?

Not really only time is basically Wentz had to force some stuff ie late vs the Vikings not blaming that on him though were down by what 20 at the time. ATL was ugly as well 

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Right... developing...  young... potential. Absolutely..." nothing wrong with that"

We need better than all that to win now.  And these guys are all potential.. unknowns when it will come to having serious roles,  not part timers.    It's a big question.   

It's a big step down in production from 2017.  The goal was different there. That DL big reason why the SB came to town 

Well this was all partly talking about your feeling a need to draft at the position. I pointed out how much youth and potential we have. 
 Barnett and Sweat seem to be clearly developing in front of our eyes...play by play. 
  Graham is proven.

Cox is proven.

So really what we need is Timmy back. That has been what the front office has been striving for....that inside push. Malik was the answer but we aren’t going to see that this season. Jernigan was supposed to be a backup. Which if healthy(and could stay that way) would be incredible depth player. Cox and Jackson with Jernigan coming in would have really collapsed the pocket from inside. But we’ve gone the opposite with Jackson and Jernigan being injured. 

4 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

If you have Mills and Rasul as the starters this week I’m gambling if I’m Schwartz have them line up and be physical with the WRs at the LoS both are bigger longer CBs....Disruption to the short timing routes and hopefully by the time they got into there deep run routes the pass rush can get home. 

I like this philosophy on many occasions. But not sure this is what we need this week. Can Dak beat us with a consistent accurate passes all the way down the field? And if the corners are in that position they won’t be nearly as effective in run support. I’m basing this off Cooper and Cobb not playing... with Gallup playing injured.

3 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

What’s going on with BRadham???? Been hearing a good chance he might not play vs Dallas.

Could be really young at LB trio of Edwards, KGH and Gerry.

Sounds like the situation

5 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Well this was all partly talking about your feeling a need to draft at the position. I pointed out how much youth and potential we have. 
 Barnett and Sweat seem to be clearly developing in front of our eyes...play by play. 
  Graham is proven.

Cox is proven.

So really what we need is Timmy back. That has been what the front office has been striving for....that inside push. Malik was the answer but we aren’t going to see that this season. Jernigan was supposed to be a backup. Which if healthy(and could stay that way) would be incredible depth player. Cox and Jackson with Jernigan coming in would have really collapsed the pocket from inside. But we’ve gone the opposite with Jackson and Jernigan being injured. 

Looking at Joe point of view is not that hard. Cox is proven but 30, Timmy can’t stay on the field and on a 1 year deal Malik is also 30(or will be 30 next year). Graham is 31-32 Curry is around 30 also .

DT we are getting older need infusion of youth that is easy to see

DE right now let’s be generous say we have 2 guys long term in Barnett and Sweat with a possible 3rd in hall/Miller/Ostman.....Schwartz needs DL could easily need another elite edge rusher  

4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I like this philosophy on many occasions. But not sure this is what we need this week. Can Dak beat us with a consistent accurate passes all the way down the field? And if the corners are in that position they won’t be nearly as effective in run support. I’m basing this off Cooper and Cobb not playing... with Gallup playing injured.

Sounds like the situation

Lot easier to beat us with accurate passes down the field with no resistance. Be way harder if we are messing with the timing of routes 

I mean if we are relying on our CBs that heavily to stop Zeke we have a serious problem 

Don’t see the L in pressing this week unless we don’t trust our pass rush vs possibly backup OL. Pressing effects the short/intermediate pass game which deals a ton with timing and if they are aiming to run the deep routes press slows them up little plus the routes take time to develop giving more time for the DL to get home.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Graham is proven.

Cox is proven.

Yeah... Cox will turn 30 next season.  Those other guys are developing into what?  Curry and Graham are older. We absolutely need to draft DL going forward.  2021 you could have Ostman, Hall, Barnett and Sweat... with a 31 year old Cox.    A lot of potential.  A lot of potential " average " or potential failure too. Also... not much depth. 

Again... I want elite DL. We are having 2 different conversations. Which I don't disagree with anything you are " potentially" saying

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

LMAO he's been a leader every year so far,so what changed??? Did he just decide he's not gonna lead anymore? I think not