DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

And there is the option of being a better boss also. That maybe you can go about things differently to get more out of your employees. Get them to accel instead of worried about making mistakes. A positive environment that’s conducive to success. Giving them responsibility and ownership of the achievements.

Wentz can't catch the ball for them,stop with the BS,you KNOW it's not on him.Is he error free? NO,but NOONE is.Put the blame where it belongs,on WR's who are overpaid to drop balls.Dropping balls is for puberty,not the NFL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Or you can just bark orders. Hover over them. And grill them about every mistake.

And Wentz does that?????Sry don't see it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tricky vs Dullaz,we need to penetrate/pressure Dak without over pursuit of Zeke.Need to be more disruptive this week(and catch some dang balls)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we need to stop this idea that Foles was this great leader... franchise changer ...etc.   And Wentz is some idiot.  The more people keep trying to add little things the more dumb they sound.      It's a team sport.   We won in 2017 with a very talented roster who didn't make dumb mistakes.  The coaching, game planning, play calling was better.... the injuries. although a good number and at key positions... were spread out, unlike losing multiple RBs and DBs... and LBs...or DTs...etc.  The DL stayed healthy and finished up with all 7 being there at the end.  All guys in their primes... a slightly older Long and a rookie in Barnett... but take 2 years off of Cox, Graham, Curry, Allen, Jernigan... that's a beautiful thing that can make up for a lot of other weak spots.  The LBs were solid too ... Bradham healthy and 2 years younger, Hicks for a good half season, and Kendricks playing his best ball as an Eagle... KGH was also an upcoming solid young player.  Our safeties were 2 years younger and solid.   The skill guys were all healthy all year minus Sproles which probably turned out to be a blessing that he was out as it forced Doug to change some stuff to more traditional running.  2 RBs that could wear you down.   

It's just not the same now... at the moment.   We'll see what happens as the season goes along, but the QB is the least ofmy worry.. as long as he is healthy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IDK about Foles leadership.He was average I would say,but he WAS a great game manager.As Joe said D was much better,at least keeping us close,not going down 17 in the first 1/4.Ped panics and abandons the running game.We then become one dimensional.Even down 17-0 don;t panic,stick to your game plan in 1/4 2.If that is still not working by halftime you have the halftime break to get it right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Don’t see the L in pressing this week unless we don’t trust our pass rush vs possibly backup OL. Pressing effects the short/intermediate pass game which deals a ton with timing and if they are aiming to run the deep routes press slows them up little plus the routes take time to develop giving more time for the DL to get home.

I don’t disagree with what you are preaching here. Heck I’m sure I’ve said similar things myself. But really we just need to contain Zeke. Runs up the middle(Dline,LB and S problem). Sweeps get the corners involved also. Passing to to Elliott also effects corners. But otherwise I just don’t want to give up the big plays. That’s what kills us. Looks like both T will play for the cowboys so I don’t think that parts relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JOe,we use Sproles so little,I think we signed him as a "favor" or out of respect and hoping we could get one more ring for him,but really I don;t see him here nest year,cause we barely use him at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t disagree with what you are preaching here. Heck I’m sure I’ve said similar things myself. But really we just need to contain Zeke. Runs up the middle(Dline,LB and S problem). Sweeps get the corners involved also. Passing to to Elliott also effects corners. But otherwise I just don’t want to give up the big plays. That’s what kills us. Looks like both T will play for the cowboys so I don’t think that parts relevant.

Well see we are NOT getting after the QB,we are HOLDING the LOS and stopping the run.Doing that is great,but that opens up time for the Qb to destroy your secondary.Gotta do BOTH things and the pressure hasnt been there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah... Cox will turn 30 next season.  Those other guys are developing into what?  Curry and Graham are older. We absolutely need to draft DL going forward.  2021 you could have Ostman, Hall, Barnett and Sweat... with a 31 year old Cox.    A lot of potential.  A lot of potential " average " or potential failure too. Also... not much depth. 

Again... I want elite DL. We are having 2 different conversations. Which I don't disagree with anything you are " potentially" saying

That’s what we are looking at...Barnett and Sweat being our starting DEs. I’m embracing that prospect. Not fearing. Having Ostman, Hall and Miller in the rings on top of that. With Cox being 31. Seems like that isn’t our biggest problem facing 2021 to me. Our S. Our CB. Our LB. our WR. Our Oline. All seem to be in worse shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

JOe,we use Sproles so little,I think we signed him as a "favor" or out of respect and hoping we could get one more ring for him,but really I don;t see him here nest year,cause we barely use him at all

No... one year for Sproles and Peters for sure.  The new blood needs to come in.  But lets see them contribute this year.   Big game Sunday, a win takes a lot of the pressure off.   I really feel this team could be a lot different in a few weeks with some of the guys coming back.  Now lets hope nobody else gets hurt.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

LMAO he's been a leader every year so far,so what changed??? Did he just decide he's not gonna lead anymore? I think not

Seems like he’s had to acknowledge shortcoming already in this area. And we’ve seen results showing the team picking up production after he went down.

22 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

And Wentz does that?????Sry don't see it

I didn’t say that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

No... one year for Sproles and Peters for sure.  The new blood needs to come in.  But lets see them contribute this year.   Big game Sunday, a win takes a lot of the pressure off.   I really feel this team could be a lot different in a few weeks with some of the guys coming back.  Now lets hope nobody else gets hurt.  

Yeah,I hope Mills isnt too rusty.It seems however Sproles has been very effective VS Dullaz in the past.I hope that holds true again,but we need to give him more than 4 touches lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Seems like he’s had to acknowledge shortcoming already in this area. And we’ve seen results showing the team picking up production after he went down.

I didn’t say that

"picking it up after he went down" in lay terms that is called sloughing off. So once again that is not Wentz's fault.While there may be momentum shifts,you don't play/try a little less because your best guy is in 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Seems like he’s had to acknowledge shortcoming already in this area. And we’ve seen results showing the team picking up production after he went down.

I didn’t say that

welp you just stated he had to acknowledge that(lack of leadership skills),then deny you said it.can't be both my friend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

That’s what we are looking at...Barnett and Sweat being our starting DEs. I’m embracing that prospect. Not fearing. Having Ostman, Hall and Miller in the rings on top of that. With Cox being 31. Seems like that isn’t our biggest problem facing 2021 to me. Our S. Our CB. Our LB. our WR. Our Oline. All seem to be in worse shape.

Yep... worse ... in 2017 the secondary was worse too .... as it should be.   Again though it just comes down to we disagree with how a team should be built to potentially win it all.  I like the DL to be dominant, not just better than the secondary.  Would be great if all those guys develop.  Embrace that ... who plays next to a 31 year old Cox though?    I'm not solely focusing on DE... its DL as a whole.   IDK, maybe we get all pro Hester back?  

My observations as an Eagles fan in my lifetime.   1980 ... very good DL ... good results.     2002-2004, the best 3 years of Reid IMO ... good to very good DL ... 2004 I thought was by far the best of the 3 with Burgess finally playing like a beast and the Freak coming in... put Hugh in as a backup.  Was beautiful.   We get average in between and a lot of average years .  2017 .. lots of injuries everywhere, Mills and Darby as CBs... nobody is putting them in the ring of honor... but you can get away with that when the DL dominates.   

It's just how I look at it... myu opinion... not right or wrong or 3rd round of the 2013 draft stuff where I need to keep score of stuff... just a fan's opinion and preference.    I'm not big on player development, not big on bottom of the roster guys turning into "OK"NFL players at the DL... I do like it at RB or CB though, just my preference.  I like DL, a great one.  Not potential.  

As for Sweat, I don't look at him as reliable at all... combo health and ability.   Just don't want to rely on it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Seems like he’s had to acknowledge shortcoming already in this area. And we’ve seen results showing the team picking up production after he went down.

 

22 points a game with both QBs.   In fact... Foles had more games with the team not scoring 20 ... in 4 less games total.   I guess the defense turning the ball over in the Rams game 3 times on their side of the field... and Houston missing 3/4 of their secondary was all Foles though (taking nothing away from his performance at all)

I think Doug needs to look in he mirror more with how he helps his QB.  As you said, there were some plays that were there, but dropped.  It's been 6 games now... how many times can you count that you said... "the play was there, Carson just made  bad throw"  Compare that to QBs around the league.   He is fine.  The team won a SB, they should know what it takes... at some point now, you look in the mirror, and just need the QB to make a throw.... you gotta do the rest.  

10 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah,I hope Mills isnt too rusty.It seems however Sproles has been very effective VS Dullaz in the past.I hope that holds true again,but we need to give him more than 4 touches lol 

Is Sproles playing????? I didn't see that?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

welp you just stated he had to acknowledge that(lack of leadership skills),then deny you said it.can't be both my friend

I was talking about how bosses can do their jobs differently with differing results. Never was saying Wentz just barks orders. But it does seem that he doesn’t get the best from his teammates for ...whatever reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

22 points a game with both QBs.   In fact... Foles had more games with the team not scoring 20 ... in 4 less games total.   I guess the defense turning the ball over in the Rams game 3 times on their side of the field... and Houston missing 3/4 of their secondary was all Foles though (taking nothing away from his performance at all)

I think Doug needs to look in he mirror more with how he helps his QB.  As you said, there were some plays that were there, but dropped.  It's been 6 games now... how many times can you count that you said... "the play was there, Carson just made  bad throw"  Compare that to QBs around the league.   He is fine.  The team won a SB, they should know what it takes... at some point now, you look in the mirror, and just need the QB to make a throw.... you gotta do the rest.  

Is Sproles playing????? I didn't see that?  

IDK guess we will know if he practices today.Scott can fill those same roles,if they let him.He's not what Sproles is,but he's working hard and has similar skills 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I was talking about how bosses can do their jobs differently with differing results. Never was saying Wentz just barks orders. But it does seem that he doesn’t get the best from his teammates for ...whatever reasons.

IDk as a receiver your job it to catch the balls,so I have zero clue how he can improve that.They are professionals and he shouldn't have to,so how is dropping balls turning into lack of leadership by Wentz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yep... worse ... in 2017 the secondary was worse too .... as it should be.   Again though it just comes down to we disagree with how a team should be built to potentially win it all.  I like the DL to be dominant, not just better than the secondary.  Would be great if all those guys develop.  Embrace that ... who plays next to a 31 year old Cox though?    I'm not solely focusing on DE... its DL as a whole.   IDK, maybe we get all pro Hester back?  

My observations as an Eagles fan in my lifetime.   1980 ... very good DL ... good results.     2002-2004, the best 3 years of Reid IMO ... good to very good DL ... 2004 I thought was by far the best of the 3 with Burgess finally playing like a beast and the Freak coming in... put Hugh in as a backup.  Was beautiful.   We get average in between and a lot of average years .  2017 .. lots of injuries everywhere, Mills and Darby as CBs... nobody is putting them in the ring of honor... but you can get away with that when the DL dominates.   

It's just how I look at it... myu opinion... not right or wrong or 3rd round of the 2013 draft stuff where I need to keep score of stuff... just a fan's opinion and preference.    I'm not big on player development, not big on bottom of the roster guys turning into "OK"NFL players at the DL... I do like it at RB or CB though, just my preference.  I like DL, a great one.  Not potential.  

As for Sweat, I don't look at him as reliable at all... combo health and ability.   Just don't want to rely on it.  

Comparing 1980 football to 2021 football is a massive mistake. Different game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I guess I’m more of a build my team and scheme off of personnel. Try and get the best out of what I have. Not a rigid must have Reggie White to succeed. I can succeed with Randy Moss. I can succeed with a Lattimore/Gilmore at CB. Just more than one way to skin a cat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But I guess I’m more of a build my team and scheme off of personnel. Try and get the best out of what I have. Not a rigid must have Reggie White to succeed. I can succeed with Randy Moss. I can succeed with a Lattimore/Gilmore at CB. Just more than one way to skin a cat. 

Nah you need solid everywhere. Look at Detroit,some pieces away from a serious shot,but they are in every game thus far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now