DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Nah you need solid everywhere. Look at Detroit,some pieces away from a serious shot,but they are in every game thus far

I don’t disagree. You need solid everywhere. But I think what No Mas and I are talking about is those elite playmakers. Which Detroit doesn’t have much of. That why nobody thinks the Lions are serious contenders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2017-solid everywhere.No outstanding players really,but a team that worked together.No Djax needed and no excuses accepted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

2017-solid everywhere.No outstanding players really,but a team that worked together.No Djax needed and no excuses accepted

No Mas thinks we were by far the most talented team. That’s his logic behind our  Super success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t disagree. You need solid everywhere. But I think what No Mas and I are talking about is those elite playmakers.

IDK who would you call elite on the 2017 team? Not Foles,not our secondary,not our RB's,not our WR's, a few linemen maybe,but they all did their jobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what I am assuming is Joe is saying "overall talent" aka solid everywhere.No super elite guys,but above average talent everywhere.Could be wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I was talking about how bosses can do their jobs differently with differing results. Never was saying Wentz just barks orders. But it does seem that he doesn’t get the best from his teammates for ...whatever reasons.

Wentz basically put Agholor on the map in 2017.   Alshon was doing fine, actually has more production than with Foles... Ertz .. do we need to say it.   I don't think anything is with Wentz... sometimes the simple answer is the answer... sometimes its actually the other guys fault.  

IDK.. maybe its my perspective of team sports.... basketball of the 1980 for example... Magic and Bird as examples.... year by year I didn't think one particularly outperformed the other ... just that the team around them changed where one was better than the other.   I just think our fans don't handle having great players well.   Its the mentality of the underdog ... just like you are glowing when talking about the potential of these young DEs.   That's great and all... sometimes its nice to have better players that can easily pass the eye test.   Just catch the ball.   It's not the QB's fault now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Comparing 1980 football to 2021 football is a massive mistake. Different game.

Comparing all eras with the same results seems logical.   Again.. you focus on just 1980 ... as per usual with our conversations ... just go right past the other seasons I mentioned ... conveniently past 2017 the SB year where we didn't have all pro CBs.   Is it coincidence their play dropped as the DL lost its luster.... again... big difference between elite and above average when looking at effects you can have on other areas.    I just want the complete DL.  Maybe these guys can stay healthy and get Jernigan back with multiple young guys bypaassing potential and actually playing above average NFL level football now... can't rule it out, just that being its unknown, unlke the players of 2017... its a concern for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK who would you call elite on the 2017 team? Not Foles,not our secondary,not our RB's,not our WR's, a few linemen maybe,but they all did their jobs

Jason Kelce was the best C in the league. Fletcher Cox was the second best Dlineman in the league(at least DT). Zach Ertz elite TE. Lane Johnson arguably the best RT that year. Robinson one of top rated slot corners that year. Jenkins elite S. Brooks top G.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But I guess I’m more of a build my team and scheme off of personnel. Try and get the best out of what I have. Not a rigid must have Reggie White to succeed. I can succeed with Randy Moss. I can succeed with a Lattimore/Gilmore at CB. Just more than one way to skin a cat. 

Sure ... depends on what your level of success is?    If you set your goals low... easier to succeed.   

11 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t disagree. You need solid everywhere. But I think what No Mas and I are talking about is those elite playmakers. Which Detroit doesn’t have much of. That why nobody thinks the Lions are serious contenders. 

BINGO!!!!!    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Jason Kelce was the best C in the league. Fletcher Cox was the second best Dlineman in the league(at least DT). Zach Ertz elite TE. Lane Johnson arguably the best RT that year. Robinson one of top rated slot corners that year. Jenkins elite S. Brooks top G.........

AH but none of the rest were seriously below average were they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

We’re Eagles fans and have always relied on the line...so I get that. Haven’t had Ray Lewis and Ed Reed lead us to a SB.

And how was the DL in front of Lewis and Reed?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t disagree. You need solid everywhere. But I think what No Mas and I are talking about is those elite playmakers. Which Detroit doesn’t have much of. That why nobody thinks the Lions are serious contenders. 

IDK they have a winning record we don't lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Wentz basically put Agholor on the map in 2017.   Alshon was doing fine, actually has more production than with Foles... Ertz .. do we need to say it.   I don't think anything is with Wentz... sometimes the simple answer is the answer... sometimes its actually the other guys fault.  

IDK.. maybe its my perspective of team sports.... basketball of the 1980 for example... Magic and Bird as examples.... year by year I didn't think one particularly outperformed the other ... just that the team around them changed where one was better than the other.   I just think our fans don't handle having great players well.   Its the mentality of the underdog ... just like you are glowing when talking about the potential of these young DEs.   That's great and all... sometimes its nice to have better players that can easily pass the eye test.   Just catch the ball.   It's not the QB's fault now.  

Interesting that you brought up Magic and Bird. Great players. But also great leaders. Guys that brought out the best in their teammates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Jason Kelce was the best C in the league. Fletcher Cox was the second best Dlineman in the league(at least DT). Zach Ertz elite TE. Lane Johnson arguably the best RT that year. Robinson one of top rated slot corners that year. Jenkins elite S. Brooks top G.........

Did I not say "a few linemen?" lol I will give you ertz who has now fallen into "average" this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But I guess I’m more of a build my team and scheme off of personnel. Try and get the best out of what I have. Not a rigid must have Reggie White to succeed. I can succeed with Randy Moss. I can succeed with a Lattimore/Gilmore at CB. Just more than one way to skin a cat. 

Lets look at Legion of Boom ... and No Fly Zone.... all those great DBs.     Any all pro DL in front of them?  any good run stuffers?   Trying hard to find a great secondary without a few studs up front.     Championship teams that is.     I like the easy route... start my team with QB and the lines.  Fill in from there.   I think if you have to choose ... elite in one spot and adequate in another ... surely 2017 we had elite DL and adequate secondary.   I think Denver and Seattle had more than adequate DLs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

2017-solid everywhere.No outstanding players really,but a team that worked together.No Djax needed and no excuses accepted

The DL was absolutely outstanding in 2017.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

The DL was absolutely outstanding in 2017.   

Yes as a unit because noone was below average 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So,in my view,find those below average players and/or below average effort and you will find the problem to our woes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

No Mas thinks we were by far the most talented team. That’s his logic behind our  Super success.

Not by far... as you need to always exxagerate.   Yes .. I do think the most ...and a big part of that was depth.   And a big part was that the better elite level talent were in the right spots.

You can take a bunch of top QBs..... how many of them had an OL as good as ours?    from those teams how many had as good of a DL as us?   Then you look around at how the skill positions were deep.   And as GBFL says ... solid... really I think the rest were solid, hard to find a huge weakness anywhere.  Mills, Darby were not really horrible, they were solid in 2017.  

Again though...this doesn't mean any other stuff doesn't go into it.   Just saying its easier when your team is the most talented and deep.  

As an exercise... take that team with the elite QB ... then take him off like Wentz was at the end.   Take that elite OL.. .take that LT off.   Take a DL... did they go 7 deep?    any team left from there... did they have Alshon, Ertz, a speed WR, 3 RBs, a good slot WR ...etc.  I don't see it.

Since 2017... we lost a lot of those pieces while the current ones got 2 years older.  It's just not the same.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yes as a unit because noone was below average 

Correct ... and really... multiple guys were above average... with one absolute beast in the middle.  The unit as both run stopping and passrushing ...were elite.  From there the game got easier behind them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So,in my view,find those below average players and/or below average effort and you will find the problem to our woes

Some of that is due to injury. Jackson and Jernigan both injured hurt the Dline. Alshon and DJax injuries hurt the receivers. 

 

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Not by far... as you need to always exxagerate.   Yes .. I do think the most ...and a big part of that was depth.   And a big part was that the better elite level talent were in the right spots.

You can take a bunch of top QBs..... how many of them had an OL as good as ours?    from those teams how many had as good of a DL as us?   Then you look around at how the skill positions were deep.   And as GBFL says ... solid... really I think the rest were solid, hard to find a huge weakness anywhere.  Mills, Darby were not really horrible, they were solid in 2017.  

Again though...this doesn't mean any other stuff doesn't go into it.   Just saying its easier when your team is the most talented and deep.  

As an exercise... take that team with the elite QB ... then take him off like Wentz was at the end.   Take that elite OL.. .take that LT off.   Take a DL... did they go 7 deep?    any team left from there... did they have Alshon, Ertz, a speed WR, 3 RBs, a good slot WR ...etc.  I don't see it.

Since 2017... we lost a lot of those pieces while the current ones got 2 years older.  It's just not the same.  

Because Wisniewski is a stud LG. Always been that way. Just dominating everyone he’s come across. If we dropped him say ....two seasons later every team in the league would be in a bidding war for his services. Or Big V. Obviously HOF LT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sproles out,hope Scott can do the deed

8 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

My building blocks to greatness start with QB and Oline. Those are the easiest to succeed with.

You should apply for head coach in Miami beacuse they don't get it lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve had Agholor before and after winning the SB. But something was very different about him that year compared to every other.

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Sproles out,hope Scott can do the deed

You should apply for head coach in Miami beacuse they don't get it lmao

They are about to get elite QBing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now