DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Pats are around every year because besides brady they are solid everywhere and they turn no names into household names

Where to begin with them. Well cheating is first, second and third. Brady is getting paid outside of the salary cap. That helps. They steal playbooks. They tap into headsets and other corporate espionage techniques. But Brady does so much for them. He’s sooo durable, reliable and consistent. Bellicheat is a student of the game. So he knows each coach playbook, tendencies, what the write on their game sheets, He Knows What You Did Last Summer(Halloween joke), knows what you ate for breakfast....but you need to know all that so you can apply what info you steal for that game(before and during the game). That’s his talent. He knows what all the great coaches have done to adjust throughout history. Sometimes the game isn’t that complicated.

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Where to begin with them. Well cheating is first, second and third. Brady is getting paid outside of the salary cap. That helps. They steal playbooks. They tap into headsets and other corporate espionage techniques. But Brady does so much for them. He’s sooo durable, reliable and consistent. Bellicheat is a student of the game. So he knows each coach playbook, tendencies, what the write on their game sheets, He Knows What You Did Last Summer(Halloween joke), knows what you ate for breakfast....but you need to know all that so you can apply what info you steal for that game(before and during the game). That’s his talent. He knows what all the great coaches have done to adjust throughout history. Sometimes the game isn’t that complicated.

I will add in here 6 basically free games year lol.Nice to begin your season 6-0 eh?

OSU plays tonight,will be watching Okudah.I hope Ped watches too lol

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

OSU(Northwestern) plays tonight,will be watching Okudah.I hope Ped watches too lol

11 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think you can go around and around with this. An elite shutdown corner allows the secondary to focus on the other targets. Essentially shifting coverage to double teams on the lower level receiving weapons. That’s a huge benefit for the defense/DC/Gameplan. But you can double a Dlineman. You can double or triple cover a receiver.

Wow... again ... I said it helps didn't I?    You always have to be extreme with every point don't you.   

OK... lets go extreme .. se if you follow here.

You have anthony Munoz... arguably best LT of all time... or whoever you prefer.   And then you have Winston Justice on the other side

I have Reggie white and that bust we drafted... Harris I think was his name .. at the other DL.  

You have Dion .... and Izel Jenkins      

I have ... Torrey Smith and Alshon.

How you feeling about that?   you going to matchup as an OL ... move Munoz around to block Reggie?     Does it matter how much Munoz dominates Harris or if Reggie can beat Justice?  

In the secondary... you have Gilmore ... go shut down any one of my guys ... then you have Izel Jenkins on the other.     Regardless of Gilmore, you need to double team and help with Izel.  Same as you would with Justice on Reggie.    The mismatches from a WR and a DL standpoint cause the game plan and strategy to change.  

As an offense, i'm looking to attack your weakness in the secondary.  doesnt matter to me how badly your top CB shuts down my top WR... see Gilmore vs Alshon and 41 points from Eagles.    (I know it wasn't the whole game ...etc., but we still lit them up after the switch)   Remember Osi killing Justice and McNabb getting killed that one game.    Do you remember how the other matchups went?  Neither do I, because the one weakness on the OL or mismatch in favor of the DL was all that was needed.    

I have no problem scoring 41 while Alshon is being locked down.   I have no problem getting 10 sacks while you double team Cox vs the Jets 2 weeks ago.   Right now... we are struggling... nothing much when they can slow down Alshon... and nothing special from the other guys while they shut down Cox.   

And its why I agree.. DeSean, Malik and Jernigan being out are big factors... as nobody else has stepped up around the guys that the opponents game plan around.   

The ‘in their prime’ argument doesn’t work for me No Mas. Wis, Curry, Robinson, V, Kendricks(you know all those guys I keep listing)...played in this league several years. But had one great special season that year. There is much more to it than them all just hitting their one year prime windows together.

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

And its why I agree.. DeSean, Malik and Jernigan being out are big factors... as nobody else has stepped up around the guys that the opponents game plan around.   

Biggest reason to me we are only 3-3... not play calling, not QB... but these 3 particular injuries at these key spots.   Minn game you can say DBs...etc.   But I think we crush ATL and Detriot with those 3 playing ...absolutely crush them.  

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The ‘in their prime’ argument doesn’t work for me No Mas. Wis, Curry, Robinson, V, Kendricks(you know all those guys I keep listing)...played in this league several years. But had one great special season that year. There is much more to it than them all just hitting their one year prime windows together.

Ham... look at the ages.... Do you expect Sweat to get better.... say in 3 years ?    You assume a 2022 version should be better right?     Yet we also know that it doesn't last ... how old were all the guys you mentioned... lots of 25-28 right?    Or a RB that still had it in 2017 compared to now.  

4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

In prime always works for me dude.... unless you see a guy with a 10 year career have his career year in year 9 or so.... they say in football years 4-6 is prime.    that was Madden from a while ago.  I think Buddy said it too or Vermeil... one of them.   The ones that can stick around get better until they lose it physically.  Thats mid to late 20s.  

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Wow... again ... I said it helps didn't I?    You always have to be extreme with every point don't you.   

OK... lets go extreme .. se if you follow here.

You have anthony Munoz... arguably best LT of all time... or whoever you prefer.   And then you have Winston Justice on the other side

I have Reggie white and that bust we drafted... Harris I think was his name .. at the other DL.  

You have Dion .... and Izel Jenkins      

I have ... Torrey Smith and Alshon.

How you feeling about that?   you going to matchup as an OL ... move Munoz around to block Reggie?     Does it matter how much Munoz dominates Harris or if Reggie can beat Justice?  

In the secondary... you have Gilmore ... go shut down any one of my guys ... then you have Izel Jenkins on the other.     Regardless of Gilmore, you need to double team and help with Izel.  Same as you would with Justice on Reggie.    The mismatches from a WR and a DL standpoint cause the game plan and strategy to change.  

As an offense, i'm looking to attack your weakness in the secondary.  doesnt matter to me how badly your top CB shuts down my top WR... see Gilmore vs Alshon and 41 points from Eagles.    (I know it wasn't the whole game ...etc., but we still lit them up after the switch)   Remember Osi killing Justice and McNabb getting killed that one game.    Do you remember how the other matchups went?  Neither do I, because the one weakness on the OL or mismatch in favor of the DL was all that was needed.    

I have no problem scoring 41 while Alshon is being locked down.   I have no problem getting 10 sacks while you double team Cox vs the Jets 2 weeks ago.   Right now... we are struggling... nothing much when they can slow down Alshon... and nothing special from the other guys while they shut down Cox.   

I don’t disagree that one terrible Olineman can wreck a game. Especially a C. We should have given double team help on Osi. That’s on the coach some there. 
 Slowing Alshon isn’t our main problem. It’s they are slowing Ertz. And they are containing our rushing attack.

And the double on Cox is always what he’s dealt with. The other guys are winning their matchups consistently along the Dline. DT guys not so much. But the key is QBs have total confidence that their first read will be open. No doubt or second guessing. TOTAL CONFIDENCE! The most dangerous of all. So when the pass rush arrives or before they chuck it up. We watched Cousins(for God’s sake) throwing it up before guys were even open. Our corners don’t cover and our S are out of position. Terrible cocktail for a defense.

24 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But you don’t get to just choose elite playmakers at what positions No Mas. Pass Rusher and QB take top picks. Like the first off the board. Bosa...Manning.... being rigid will leave you disappointed. You have to be flexible. Many ways to win a football game. Got to be adaptable to take advantage of what great playmakers you have. Design your scheme on your personnel. Pass rushers are coveted every year in the draft, free agency and trade. High price tag position. So your preaching what is the status quo. Lemming. 

When the Pats win ... how is their QB play and pass rush?   You notice QB is pretty consistent and that leadership ... so they always compete...  years they don't win... what is the difference?   Support around the QB.. and you see a dip in their pass rush.   A few NE fans I know always look at this as their area of concern.   They know they are always pretty solid on the back end, and with BB scheming.    Paas rush to them is their key.  Why they like their odds this year.  

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t disagree that one terrible Olineman can wreck a game. Especially a C. We should have given double team help on Osi. That’s on the coach some there. 
 Slowing Alshon isn’t our main problem. It’s they are slowing Ertz. And they are containing our rushing attack.

And the double on Cox is always what he’s dealt with. The other guys are winning their matchups consistently along the Dline. DT guys not so much. But the key is QBs have total confidence that their first read will be open. No doubt or second guessing. TOTAL CONFIDENCE! The most dangerous of all. So when the pass rush arrives or before they chuck it up. We watched Cousins(for God’s sake) throwing it up before guys were even open. Our corners don’t cover and our S are out of position. Terrible cocktail for a defense.

I think the Minn game is the outlier... it was played last so fresh in our memory.   Pass rush could have been better vs Detroit and ATL.  Those are the games I'm looking at as ones where we should have won and difference between 3-3 and 5-1.  

6 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

In prime always works for me dude.... unless you see a guy with a 10 year career have his career year in year 9 or so.... they say in football years 4-6 is prime.    that was Madden from a while ago.  I think Buddy said it too or Vermeil... one of them.   The ones that can stick around get better until they lose it physically.  Thats mid to late 20s.  

But these guys had only one great season.

But good example .... ATL and Detroit ... Darby was gettign killed.   defense with him out was actually pretty solid in those two games if you look at it.   Alshon, Ertz ...whatever you want to say... the compliments aren't getting it done around them   Really we agree, the #2 outside WR is the big flop.   DeSean in there... huge!     Same with our look at the DL... I think the DT is the big wweak spot.  I think that those 2 spots... the units... adding DeSean and the other 2 DTs... causes problems.   Changes the game.  

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I give you Robinson... the others ... solid, lets not get carried away with great!  Wiz, Kendricks...etc.   Bradham has had a couple good years, do I think 2017 was better... sure... how old was he and how was the DL in front of him?    

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Football... its common where average guys have that one above average season in their prime.  

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

DJax and Jernigan are huge missing pieces...no doubt

That's it... so can;t really blame anything or anyone.   Yes all the rest isn't perfect... youth being a reason... and coaching not perfect.  But no denying those players at those key spots ... alter the game tremendously when added next to Alshon/Ertz ... and Cox/Graham.   also make the other guys who aren;t as good, play lesser roles.    A good 3rd stringeer doesn't mean he is a good 2nd string...etc.  

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Football... its common where average guys have that one above average season in their prime.  

Or....that team had a special symbiotic connection that brought out the best in each other. Live and die for each other. We all we got...we all we need!

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Or....that team had a special symbiotic connection that brought out the best in each other. Live and die for each other. We all we got...we all we need!

Yes.... no denying... doesn't mean the roster couldn't be the best either.   ie. 1983 76ers... you could argue all the intangibles... an easily see it was the best roster that year too.  Why can;t it be both?    Why can't you throw in all the stuff that makes fora good book about the 2017 Eagles.. intangibles etc ... and still say it was the best roster that year ...and better than the 2019 roster when looking at it as a whole?  Especially with guys being 2 years older?   Can't be both?    

We didn’t have a corner. Played old man Graham at S a bunch. Not going to say Bradham and Kendricks is the juggernaut LB combo. V and Wis on the left side sounds like a field day for the pass rush. Blount and Ajayi castaways.

9 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

We didn’t have a corner. Played old man Graham at S a bunch. Not going to say Bradham and Kendricks is the juggernaut LB combo. V and Wis on the left side sounds like a field day for the pass rush. Blount and Ajayi castaways.

So ... take Blount and Ajayi.   How were they prior... was 2017 their only good year?    Or was it their "last" good year... mainly due to health and age?   I said it was their last due to those reaasons... I could care less about castoffs. It happens in football.   Those seasons were hardly fluke, and neither played their best by far ... they were solid at a position you need solid and were depth.   CBs.. I think were solid and the depth was there a little with all the healthy guys.    Playing behind an elite unit up front.  

Its simple though ... you just need to look around the league... tell me another team that matched QB, DL, OL ...solid all around and depth?  With dudes in the prime.   I don't see it.   You bring up ATL on offense... is there OL that good with elite 3 and solid depth?  How was their DL in 2017? It all flows.. .sure there were teams with better RBs, CBs, LBs ...etc.  the complimentary positions.  No argument.  just don't see it across the board like our Eagles.  

I'm going to say... I think the Eagles have always had the strategy of building a roster with the franchise QB and both lines.

Just that in 2017 those levels were the highest at those spots ... while also having better play around them ... ie James Thrash and Pinkston vs the 2017 group.   take your pick of a decade of Casey Matthews types at LB.... some bad safety combos after Dawk...etc.   And some solid depth.