DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

51 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I tie Agholor and JMatt together because they are both slot WR. And we could have kept JMatt for a one million dollar contract. Agholor we had to pay over nine million dollars. I’m pretty sure even you wouldn’t argue the difference in production anymore. Better use of our resources than spending it on Agholor. In fact, I’m now really wondering what all the negative effects Agholor is having on Wentz. JMatt was always a positive influence for Wentz. Eight million difference could have been used to get a quality player. And Wentz mental health and reputation would be in much better shape.

I get it ... I tei them togetehr because they are 2 guys I'm good moving on from.   

33 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I said the market would be high for guys....Maybe I was a bit to steep for the prices but definitely didn’t see a 3rd getting the trade done like many felt it would 

I thought we were discussing Harris.... did he get traded yet?    Other guys don't really matter until we see what he goes for.   I'd be curious... Denver will probably hold out, but a game vs Buffalo and not much other bidding for Harris... they may have to take a 3rd.  

33 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Any one else see NE landing AG when he walks would seem like his skill set fits perfectly with what they want....He is a good route runner and they love those type of quick slot WR guys to run there routes.....As for the hands Brady would make sure that man catches passes....Force that man to have catches for hours a day after practice until he caught everything.

Nah, he is good once he gets the ball, but I don't think he is a good route runner for a NE WR ... for an Eagles WR with curved routes, his 8 step stop isn't bad... but he doesn't change directions on the route like a typical NE slot WR.  

I'm going to make this obvservation.   Look around the NFL.   The WRs amd everyone's favorite "Zul"  Rasul Douglas.   

The league seems to be going towards that speed WR.   Not too many slow possession type of WRs anymore are there?     Which it seems your boy "Zul" is great at covering.  Is it hard to see why he is struggling?   Who is he going against?   Jets D Thomas maybe who has lost a step ... tell me last time he faced a possession WR.    Not seeing him as the future at the position.

Now flip it to our offense.    "Zul" probably looks All pro in practice... other than covering DeSean.    My concern... while 2017 was great... are they missing the boat on what today's game is in the secondary?   I think the possession WRs of today are the TEs.   The WRs need to be able to go downfield, get some yards after the bubble screen....etc.  Teams have 2 and 3 speed guys.  Then you have the Pats that have the slot WRs, but quick ones ... what is our system?   Just seems out of place?   No YAC, no downfield threat let alone threat(s)    

During the offseason ...  time to use analytics to our advantage.   See what the wave of the future is.  Get us the players that can play that style.     

28 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I thought we were discussing Harris.... did he get traded yet?    Other guys don't really matter until we see what he goes for.   I'd be curious... Denver will probably hold out, but a game vs Buffalo and not much other bidding for Harris... they may have to take a 3rd.  

But we don’t know what the bidding is for Harris. And again pretty much most the trades that have been happening guys have wanted for far less and though that was going to be the case for them....I might have been bit to high on some as well but seems to be guys are  falling in the middle range

21 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I'm going to make this obvservation.   Look around the NFL.   The WRs amd everyone's favorite "Zul"  Rasul Douglas.   

The league seems to be going towards that speed WR.   Not too many slow possession type of WRs anymore are there?     Which it seems your boy "Zul" is great at covering.  Is it hard to see why he is struggling?   Who is he going against?   Jets D Thomas maybe who has lost a step ... tell me last time he faced a possession WR.    Not seeing him as the future at the position.

Now flip it to our offense.    "Zul" probably looks All pro in practice... other than covering DeSean.    My concern... while 2017 was great... are they missing the boat on what today's game is in the secondary?   I think the possession WRs of today are the TEs.   The WRs need to be able to go downfield, get some yards after the bubble screen....etc.  Teams have 2 and 3 speed guys.  Then you have the Pats that have the slot WRs, but quick ones ... what is our system?   Just seems out of place?   No YAC, no downfield threat let alone threat(s)    

During the offseason ...  time to use analytics to our advantage.   See what the wave of the future is.  Get us the players that can play that style.     

Think it is all matchups like everything else....Not surprising Zul played better against bigger WRs ie Adams/Julio and struggled against the smaller faster types....As a coach you need to realize those flaws and players and put them in the best position 

46 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

But we don’t know what the bidding is for Harris. And again pretty much most the trades that have been happening guys have wanted for far less and though that was going to be the case for them....I might have been bit to high on some as well but seems to be guys are  falling in the middle range

IDK... Sanders didn't we say 3rd rounder?       It was 3rd round and then a 4th / 5th round swap.   If you look at SF 4th round vs Denver 5th round?    How much worse could it end up being ... as it stands now .... pick 137 vs pick 152.   Really puts Sanders at an early 3rd round value doesn't it?  

I would think the same for Harris.... not sure we discussed Sanu?   Again though ... Pats need to fo round 2 if they want him over a team in round 3?      The Eagles may have to go round 2 ... depending upon who else makes the offer... but i'm eliminating KC due to the division trade ... plus the assumption should be they pick after us.   IDK, we shall see...otherwise its 2021 comp pick for Denver.   They can't be greedy.  

51 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Think it is all matchups like everything else....Not surprising Zul played better against bigger WRs ie Adams/Julio and struggled against the smaller faster types....As a coach you need to realize those flaws and players and put them in the best position 

Yeah... lets scratch the idea he played well against Adams.   Or really Julio.... could easily be Nnamdi effect with the Raiders... the otehr side was so bad ( ie Darby for those couple of games)  no need to pick on "Zul"  But I think the trend doesn't look good for him... I like his attitude, maybe to replace Jenkins type of role???  

7 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah... lets scratch the idea he played well against Adams.   Or really Julio.... could easily be Nnamdi effect with the Raiders... the otehr side was so bad ( ie Darby for those couple of games)  no need to pick on "Zul"  But I think the trend doesn't look good for him... I like his attitude, maybe to replace Jenkins type of role???  

Possibly, possibly not guy was targeted during those games and made the plays when needed to....Don’t foresee teams like GB and ATL not targeting there best WRs because Rasul was on them either....By no means am I calling Rasul an all pro either just facts matchups matter some guys play certain players better....Not shocking a bigger longer CB struggles with the shiftier faster WRs in space and plays better against the slower types is what I’m saying...

It’s no different then looking at a smaller CB and saying well he struggles against the big physical types you think???? Not shocking news 

As for Darby I don’t think it matters or are we going to neglect that fact he was getting beat when he was healthy just as much as the rest of the guys we had???? I mean Darby was healthy in ATL 

Fact is all our CBS have been terrible equally and still lean toward a scheme or coaching problem because again everyone of our CBs has been terrible....With all we have invest going to say we could not have one decent or good guy in the whole lot.

Even 17 the SB run our CBs were not great they were better but we were still one of the worse pass coverage teams in the league just got masked a bit more by the great run D and the pass rush 

We also excelled in the RZ to help keep teams from getting Tds they had to settle for more FGs

I like man coverage,and those with the ability to do it.Zone is used because you don't have those players and as we have seen our zone D gets beat so we don't even have decent zone players.I'd like us to get/draft cover corners with hard hitting speed freak S's who have guts enough to dish out some pain.Put simply,we scare noone.I would also like to see us have different,or multi talented players who can cover a variety of WR's.Those who can climb the ladder covering taller WR's and those who can stick to speed receivers like glue.Tough to do? Yeah,but just how many years have we been at this???? We should have had this together a decade ago. I suppose thats why I suck at picking CB's and S's for us.I search out those type players but we don;t draft them and never have.No matter,I don't like how the ones we DO get are being coached

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Possibly, possibly not guy was targeted during those games and made the plays when needed to....Don’t foresee teams like GB and ATL not targeting there best WRs because Rasul was on them either....By no means am I calling Rasul an all pro either just facts matchups matter some guys play certain players better....Not shocking a bigger longer CB struggles with the shiftier faster WRs in space and plays better against the slower types is what I’m saying...

It’s no different then looking at a smaller CB and saying well he struggles against the big physical types you think???? Not shocking news 

Adams had a monster game vs us.  I don't think they avoided "Zul"  do you? 

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

As for Darby I don’t think it matters or are we going to neglect that fact he was getting beat when he was healthy just as much as the rest of the guys we had???? I mean Darby was healthy in ATL 

Not a fan of Darby.... mostly for tackling or not trying.  His coverage was ok prior to this year though. I don't think he was healthy yet this year.  He didn't look the same. 

Idk... I'd like to see Mills, a healthy Darby and Maddox...  if we can get Harris for a 3rd or 4th.. then great.  "ZUL" I like him in a limited role. I think when he gets put in to make a play here and there he does well. Not a full time starter... at least not yet. 

I wanna see DeSean back.  Before panic sets in, let's get some guys back.

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

SOOOO,you spend what the Rams did.And say he gets hurt.How good does that trade look now?(He already missed some games) 2-1's? I'm glad Howie drew the line

Good trade for the 9ers,they look pretty good this year! 

I have said repeatedly I wouldn’t have given up all that for Ramsey. Still a player I want on my team... The message I am getting as a Eagle fan is we have spent our load on a few key positions...we went all in and won a SB let other teams go all in. I am waiting for October 29th final day of free agency and we can discuss if the Birds are doing enough this year to compete for a Championship.

3 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Fact is all our CBS have been terrible equally and still lean toward a scheme or coaching problem because again everyone of our CBs has been terrible....With all we have invest going to say we could not have one decent or good guy in the whole lot.

Even 17 the SB run our CBs were not great they were better but we were still one of the worse pass coverage teams in the league just got masked a bit more by the great run D and the pass rush 

We also excelled in the RZ to help keep teams from getting Tds they had to settle for more FGs

Robinson was rated as the best slot corner in the entire league on our SB run. Mills has been pretty fantastic in the redzone. Darby was pretty good in ‘17 also. Hurt half the season but definitely a big positive factor when playing. Remember the playoffs? Our D shut things down.

And on your slightly earlier post: Darby was recovering all offseason. Didn’t really get to practice before the season. Not really sure he was 100 percent healthy. But even if he was...have to give him the excuse of being a little rusty. Not quite ready for shutdown game action. Also can’t blame everything on the corners. As their job sometimes in these zone coverages is to maintain outside leverage.  Force things inside towards the S. But the S wasn’t there so it just makes the corner look bad. Not saying he didn’t make mistakes...just have to be more selective than most seem to be about assigning blame.

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Idk... I'd like to see Mills, a healthy Darby and Maddox...  if we can get Harris for a 3rd or 4th.. then great.  "ZUL" I like him in a limited role. I think when he gets put in to make a play here and there he does well. Not a full time starter... at least not yet. 

I wanna see DeSean back.  Before panic sets in, let's get some guys back.

I’m adding in LeBlanc. Played great at the end of last season in the slot. I had high hopes for him this season. It still can happen.

7 minutes ago, trini said:

I have said repeatedly I wouldn’t have given up all that for Ramsey. Still a player I want on my team... The message I am getting as a Eagle fan is we have spent our load on a few key positions...we went all in and won a SB let other teams go all in. I am waiting for October 29th final day of free agency and we can discuss if the Birds are doing enough this year to compete for a Championship.

The bad offseason moves have mounted up against us. DJax played one game. Malik one game. Fort...cut. Sendejo: made a few good plays, a few terrible plays and took out Maddox. Sproles..,nothing. Peters...a few good moments. Darby...nothing much. Cut Hester: been searching for a DT ever since. Paid Agholor. 

Still pretty shocked Trent Williams isn’t playing. Or really that he hasn’t been traded. Sad to see a super talented player just sitting at home for no real reason.

I hope they show up Sunday. Last trip to Denver in 2013... like 52-20 or something. Brutal. 

In person I got to see how short Vick was and how bad his vision was with difficulty seeing over the line as things got in his face. Sunday,  curious to see our WRs in person!

2 hours ago, trini said:

IDK if I can actually agree with any of this to be honest.     If you wouldn't have given up what it cost for a player ... then you can't really say you wanted him.   I'd like to play 50 cents a gallon for gas, but I'm still going to pay what it costs because I want the gas.     I also don't think we spent any "load"  being that we didn't make any moves yet here via trade or giving up an asset .. ie "load" yet?

IDK if we went all on for the Superbowl as much as it was the correct moves were made for the healthy players that participated throughout the season.   The areas of complaint/ concern now .... we had great health sll through 2017 ... the DL, the WR and the CB spots.  It is what it is.   But I'm not worried about October 29th to tell me anything.   Unless you are telling me everyone that is due to come back from injury will be back then?     Right now we are short on talent at some spots ... and some spots where we have the talent, they aren't making plays.  

For me.. I don't want to see another Golden Tate move.... a move to get a talented player that is redundent or that won't really help the issues that are causing problems... just to make a move.  

3 hours ago, trini said:

Welp if you dont give it up he's not gonna be on your team.At this point 1 or 2 players isn't gonna help alot if the rest of the team isn't getting it done.What position do you feel we need to go "all in" on by the 29th? Better team than 2017,difference is they played together and the played FOR each other and I am not seeing that this year.Getting schooled then smiling on the sidelines doesn't work for me,especially vs Dullaz