DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

7 minutes ago, stine said:

He is stuffing the run or blitzing or whatever else he sees... That is his strength...

Stine.... covering the TE could be one of the things ... if needed.  He did that really well too at times.   Vs the other team's top TEs. You are thinking playing man the whole game, things get shifted around.   Jenkins being the versatile guy (covered Witten, Fitz, White...etc, different positions), you need the other safety to be patroling the back.  Really disengaged in any one battle, just there to help.  If I had to have Mills or Douglas disengage from a one on one battle to go in that help role... I would prefer Mills.  The main reason is that I like how douglas engages in the one on one battles.   It's not about how he would play safety... its that he is really good outside.   And using the SB as an example... Jenkins engaged with his guy, basically shut him out .... Douglas didn't play, and see how it seemed everyone else was open?   Perfect example of why I don't see them trading him.  

And as for Bausby .... caution... Emmuel "Ray Lewis" Acho!    I wouldn't rush to put him ahead of Douglas when the real ball starts, let him actually make the team first!  

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Stine.... covering the TE could be one of the things ... if needed.  He did that really well too at times.   Vs the other team's top TEs. You are thinking playing man the whole game, things get shifted around.   Jenkins being the versatile guy (covered Witten, Fitz, White...etc, different positions), you need the other safety to be patroling the back.  Really disengaged in any one battle, just there to help.  If I had to have Mills or Douglas disengage from a one on one battle to go in that help role... I would prefer Mills.  The main reason is that I like how douglas engages in the one on one battles.   It's not about how he would play safety... its that he is really good outside.   And using the SB as an example... Jenkins engaged with his guy, basically shut him out .... Douglas didn't play, and see how it seemed everyone else was open?   Perfect example of why I don't see them trading him.  

And as for Bausby .... caution... Emmuel "Ray Lewis" Acho!    I wouldn't rush to put him ahead of Douglas when the real ball starts, let him actually make the team first!  

Joe, Jenkins does so many things well. His Football IQ is probably highest on the defense. Swartz tends to misuse him. I will say that part of the issue was Hicks being out all year and not having a LB that can cover, but he was covering TE's that anyone could cover at times. Yes, if the situation called for it, I can see him covering a Stud RB or TE. but he did it way too much in my opinion. You get a LB that can cover and allow him to do his job and you will not only see better run support, but the CB's will also be better as he could help when needed on specific plays. He makes everyone else better.....

I hope you are right about Douglas. I like the dude and want him to stay.....

Just now, stine said:

I hope you are right about Douglas. I like the dude and want him to stay.....

Stine... they invested a 3rd round pick in douglas... they traded a 3rd round pick for Darby.   One has 1 year left, the other has 3 years left on the cheap.   We already gave examples as to why we all like Douglas.   If Darby was rumored to get traded before... why would it shift to Douglas ... simply because Bausby is stepping up a little in June?   That's my point.     And the other you keep bringing up... Jenkins is versatile.. you want him engaged not just sitting back .... so makes no sense to have two guys Jenkins and Douglas, both guys who are best engaging someone ... play together when one would be playing back.   Jenkins was finally used right last year.   He is a CB as he came up ... his trouble was covering the quick slot WR .... everything else in coverage he does well.   Yuo pt him on a key weapon from the other team and its beautiful.  If the team doesn't have that type guy, then you play more 2 safeties or blitz him or whatever.   We sw plenty of 3rd downs where Jenkins was up in coverage forcing an incomplete pass... beautiful strategy.  

So Joe, right now I see the Eagles strength as CB. We have probably 5-6 starting caliber CB's. We probably will trade one of them for another player needed elsewhere. So who goes? Darby or Mills? We are in agreement that we want to keep Douglas and Jones is not going anywhere. They would probably get nothing for Bausby.....

19 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Bausby is being used in the slot. I doubt he will play outside ahead of either Jones or Darby.... He is fast enough to play the slot so....

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Stine... they invested a 3rd round pick in douglas... they traded a 3rd round pick for Darby.   One has 1 year left, the other has 3 years left on the cheap.   We already gave examples as to why we all like Douglas.   If Darby was rumored to get traded before... why would it shift to Douglas ... simply because Bausby is stepping up a little in June?   That's my point.     And the other you keep bringing up... Jenkins is versatile.. you want him engaged not just sitting back .... so makes no sense to have two guys Jenkins and Douglas, both guys who are best engaging someone ... play together when one would be playing back.   Jenkins was finally used right last year.   He is a CB as he came up ... his trouble was covering the quick slot WR .... everything else in coverage he does well.   Yuo pt him on a key weapon from the other team and its beautiful.  If the team doesn't have that type guy, then you play more 2 safeties or blitz him or whatever.   We sw plenty of 3rd downs where Jenkins was up in coverage forcing an incomplete pass... beautiful strategy.  

Jenkins also could be used as a tool to send a blitzer from an unknown location and successfully cover that person's assignment.  That stuff really stresses out a QB and Schwartz doesn't really do it.  But a player like Jenkins allows you too.

9 minutes ago, stine said:

Jenkins also could be used as a tool to send a blitzer from an unknown location and successfully cover that person's assignment.  That stuff really stresses out a QB and Schwartz doesn't really do it.  But a player like Jenkins allows you too.

Yeah... Schwartz to me is vanilla.  

As for 5 or 6 starting CBs??????   I see 3, with Darby, Mills and Douglas who have played in real games.   The other guys haven't really played yet in the pros, but I see as developing.  If Jones steps up like people think, then Darby would be the one on the trade block.  You can't get rid of the other guys with multiple years left and really they all play the physical style, except for Darby.    I just don't see anything else happening.   To be honest... I can see ZERO trades, you keep everyone for depth this year and then Darby walks and you get a nice 4th round comp pick in 2020.  

I mean ... think for a second... if they are 5 or 6 deep at CB ... why would you pay Darby?   Makes no sense.  so then why lose both Darby and Douglas for next year?   Then you have Mills and Jones.... and what behind them?   IDK, can you get a better/cheaper player than Douglas?  

I just don't think Howie and co are that dumb!   Plus they really like the kid.  

Well, there are others we have not even mentioned Joe. Not sure if any are good or not. But if 1-2 of them show real promise, You never know what Howie does lol... Avonte Maddox? We do agree on one thing tho. We want Douglas staying put!  I don't really care where they play him as long as he makes the team to be honest. However, I do feel he could eventually take over for Jenkins. Not sure about his IQ, but he has time....

Stine... bottom line.... however many good CBs they have .... fact or opinion......  Darby should be first in line to go.  Things should fall n a pecking order, nothing should change that.   Plus... look at how Darby goes in the slot today with Douglas outside... to me, shows Douglas is a staple on the outside.  Trying to move other gus around to see there they fit.  

2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

The HOF should make a TO rule, leave him out, never mention his name again.

Oh, and what about the likes of Ray Lewis, he's going in this year? O.J Simpson is still in the HoF. T.O did nothing compared to what they've done.

9 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

The HOF should make a TO rule, leave him out, never mention his name again.

TO was slighted last year and made a big deal about it. So now he is voted in and chooses to not attend the ceremony? He finally has a podium to speak for his behalf and takes the childish way out. "you did not vote for me last year so I will show you!" Whatever, he is a non story now....

7 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Oh, and what about the likes of Ray Lewis, he's going in this year? O.J Simpson is still in the HoF. T.O did nothing compared to what they've done.

He whined about not being selected. Now he makes it and doesn't show up.

Go away T.O. We're sick of your act.

1 hour ago, ASG15 said:

He whined about not being selected. Now he makes it and doesn't show up.

Go away T.O. We're sick of your act.

OK, no one is disputing that, however, to call for a complete ban of the man from the HoF is silly, especially when you have two players (one going in this year) that had been arrested and charged with murder. I mean, which is worse? What T.O did, or what Ray Lewis and O.J allegedly did?

Ray Lewis and OJ were convicted of murders? Must have missed something. Do I think OJ's guilty? - yeah. What good TO did playing is HOF worthy. His immature actions on and off the field are what would have prevented me from voting for him in the 1st place. Hey, he wants to set a precedent by not showing up, the HOF can set one by voting him out.

On a good note Greg Ward seems to be OK, Wallace looking good at WR.

20 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Ray Lewis and OJ were convicted of murders? Must have missed something.ou.

:rolleyes: Did I say they were convicted? Oh, right, no, I didn't. It's ridiculous to want to keep T.O out of the HoF because he never grew up, yet it's OK to have guys in the HoF that were arrested and charged with murder? Yeah, that's not bass akwards or anything. But you go on doing you.

Got a feeling Mike Wallace becomes the major difference between this year's offensive attack and last year's.

Get ready for some long ball!!

Big picture... I don't get why people are so worried about hall of fame ... its a TEAM sport!  The rings are all that matters... btw who won the last ring ...HOLLA.

But ... OJ was already in for years .... not taking him out without a conviction.

Lewis... once he was cleared of charges.... can you really deny his career not being HOF worthy?   Has their been a better leader in sports the last 20 years?  

WE live in hte US, we have this thing called PROOF.   Not just bias as to which team a guy plays for so you want him to be guilty or innocent (ie Bennett I'm sure was 100% inncocent since he is an Eagle now )   The team has nothing to do with, proof is needed, otherwise, we presume innocence.  

T.O.   Who cares if he chooses to accept the honor and be with his family away from the crowd?   Same idea that the players didn't have to visit the white house.  We live in a free country where we can decide to spend time with the people we want.  

My suggestion to anyone complaining.   Go lift some weights, get yourself in shape, learn a playbook.... and go have yourself a hall of fame career, and then do it your way when it comes time for the HOF.   Otherwise.... you just sound silly.   

Stay focused .... repeat in 2019!   Let the side show circus surrounding the game be other people's concern.  We have a new norm now!  Time to be mature and understand that .... act like a winner and be above this other meaningless crap!    

23 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

My suggestion to anyone complaining.   Go lift some weights, get yourself in shape, learn a playbook.... and go have yourself a hall of fame career, and then do it your way when it comes time for the HOF.   Otherwise.... you just sound silly.   

And do it all in your driveway in front of reporters!! ?

OK, who of the new faces are doing well so far? I heard abut Bausby and Dallas, but not much else. Jones I knew would be fine.... Anyone hear anything new?

Last Football player I wanted to witness enter the HOF was Reggie White. Of course I did not go in person, but I have not really cared too much about it since to be honest.... Joemas is right for the most part. Only thing about Owens was he made such a big thing about not getting in and now does not even go... Anyway, not a huge issue so we can all move on to more important matters.... Like Fantasy FootBAll rankings!!!  I mean Eagles!!!!