DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You guys obviously know I believed it much wiser to keep JMatt at his salary than pay Agholor his large salary all off season.

Yeah...  we keep track on Excel.

In perspective... JMatt got cut twice from a team... that just traded decent picks for WR.   Basically he couldn't make a squad that needed a WR.  TWICE.

It's a forfeit move .... " there isn't anything good out there,  so let's go with familiar"    and I'm ok with it. It is what it is.

So long as next year we are good enough to move on.... finally for good, I think it makes sense for this year.  He gives good effort, and I think he realizes it could and should be his last hurrah in the league.   Nice to have that sense of urgency around.  He blocks pretty well too.  He's going to draw minimal attention and in a man to man setting the worst cover guy,  so hopefully he can provide another option. Compared to a guy who was basically phased out or shunned by the playcalling,  we have nothing to lose. 

You need a date for the prom.... call your ex who you still are somewhat friends with, but not that attracted to,  could be worse.

7 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

What does a RG have to do with a WR?

Brooks went to a sports psychologist 

It appears to have turned his career around.

8 hours ago, joemas6 said:

In perspective... JMatt got cut twice from a team... that just traded decent picks for WR.   Basically he couldn't make a squad that needed a WR.  TWICE.

It's a forfeit move .... " there isn't anything good out there,  so let's go with familiar"    and I'm ok with it. It is what it is.

So long as next year we are good enough to move on.... finally for good, I think it makes sense for this year.  He gives good effort, and I think he realizes it could and should be his last hurrah in the league.   Nice to have that sense of urgency around.  He blocks pretty well too.  He's going to draw minimal attention and in a man to man setting the worst cover guy,  so hopefully he can provide another option. Compared to a guy who was basically phased out or shunned by the playcalling,  we have nothing to lose. 

You need a date for the prom.... call your ex who you still are somewhat friends with, but not that attracted to,  could be worse. 

Sure, why not? It is comfortable, even though a total wasted move. JMatt is done. He is slow. A DT could cover him. JJ Nelson is out there. Jennings just got released from Seattle. Why not try something new for a change? Stupid move for JMatt....

3 hours ago, ASG15 said:

Brooks went to a sports psychologist 

It appears to have turned his career around.

SO that took 3+ years to do???? What's the shrink gonna tell AG "catch the ball,here's your 1200.00 an hour bill come again soon?" If we have guys that need shrinks,we chose the wrong guys

13 minutes ago, stine said:

Sure, why not? It is comfortable, even though a total wasted move. JMatt is done. He is slow. A DT could cover him. JJ Nelson is out there. Jennings just got released from Seattle. Why not try something new for a change? Stupid move for JMatt....

Well he knows the playbook and can plug right into the O,thats why they did it.We will need anything we can get vs the Pats and hopefully he can garner ONE target,since Hollins and Jjaw have ZERO catches.If Jmatt catches 1 ball he's already ahead of the other 2,still I would hope they keep looking for another one

SOOOOO,now we have "issues" we didn't think we had.besides DB's we're gonna need to draft WR's.Although I believe Jeudy is out of reach there are other ones we can take in round 1,so we better take a WR or a DB in round 1.There are 2 other nice WR's from Bama and one from Ohio state that should go in 1 or early 2.I would like Howard to stick around.with him,Sanders and Clement,our backfield should be ok(grab a later round project RB),so now we should concentrate on WR's DB's and toss a few linemen in there

18: R1P18

WR HENRY RUGGS III
ALABAMA
50: R2P18

CB SHAUN WADE
OHIO STATE
82: R3P18

LB MONTY RICE
GEORGIA
105: R3P41

S DOUGLAS COLEMAN
TEXAS TECH
124: R4P18

RB J.K. DOBBINS
OHIO STATE
174: R5P30

G THAYOR MUNFORD
OHIO STATE
183: R6P5

EDGE TREVON HILL
MIAMI
196: R6P18

DL NAQUAN JONES
MICHIGAN STATE

53 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well he knows the playbook and can plug right into the O,thats why they did it.We will need anything we can get vs the Pats and hopefully he can garner ONE target,since Hollins and Jjaw have ZERO catches.If Jmatt catches 1 ball he's already ahead of the other 2,still I would hope they keep looking for another one

Mike Wallace knows the playbook too and he still has some speed. Just because someone knows the playbook, it does not mean you pick him up off the street. What good is a WR if he cannot get open in 3 seconds because he is slower than a turtle? Eagles have 2 weeks to get someone in and teach him a few routes. I just ma tired we keep bringing back old worn out players.... Try something different!

10 minutes ago, stine said:

Mike Wallace knows the playbook too and he still has some speed. Just because someone knows the playbook, it does not mean you pick him up off the street. What good is a WR if he cannot get open in 3 seconds because he is slower than a turtle? Eagles have 2 weeks to get someone in and teach him a few routes. I just ma tired we keep bringing back old worn out players.... Try something different!

Yeah like I said,I hope they keep looking.Let's see if Jmatt can get open from the slot.I mean SOMEONE should be able to get open on a simple slant route

14 minutes ago, stine said:

I was toying with getting Kelvin Benjamin.He's not fast,but he has hands and he's a BIG target.No need to beat your man just toss it high and let him get it,like a center in basketball lol.At this point IDK who else is out there and it's sad our entire WR corps depends on ONE guy.Should not be that way

Also wondering about Jalen Strong.At one point he was a draft darling who went nowhere.What happened????

26 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Also wondering about Jalen Strong.At one point he was a draft darling who went nowhere.What happened????

Welp, I highly doubt AB will be playing with anyone. You see the Tweet he sent out? What a class A jerk....

12 minutes ago, stine said:

Welp, I highly doubt AB will be playing with anyone. You see the Tweet he sent out? What a class A jerk....

Yeah a real punk arse

11 minutes ago, stine said:

Sure, Do something stupid and use the "R" card as an excuse. I am so tired of this!!

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/11/07/antonio-brown-blasts-nfl-accuses-league-of-racism/

Go join Kaep in your so called "oppressed" world.As far as calling out fantasy players,yeah we dumped your sorry arse long ago loser

2 hours ago, stine said:

Jmatt run like a 4.5 at worse and is in the best shape he has been in years....Even looking at the stats he has produced right on par with what Alshon has given us at a much cheaper cost....I don’t think Jmatt is that game-changing WR but don’t see us as having that now anyway....Right now our WR are Avg. at best we need a serious revamping of the entire unit with youth infused(get away from the injury prone old heads)...

7 hours ago, stine said:

Jennings was claimed on waivers by the Dolphins. Funny thing about JJ Nelson and Jordan Matthews, let's look at their career catch %'s and yards per target.

Nelson's catch % is 45.7%, 7.9 yards per target

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NelsJJ00.htm

Matthew's catch % is 65.9%, 7.9 yards per target

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MattJo00.htm

So, while Nelson may be faster than JMatt, he catches less passes and has averaged the same amount of yards per target.

33 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Jmatt run like a 4.5 at worse and is in the best shape he has been in years....Even looking at the stats he has produced right on par with what Alshon has given us at a much cheaper cost....I don’t think Jmatt is that game-changing WR but don’t see us as having that now anyway....Right now our WR are Avg. at best we need a serious revamping of the entire unit with youth infused(get away from the injury prone old heads)...

100% agree and there aren't any game changing WR's on the FA market either.

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
18: R1P18

WR HENRY RUGGS III
ALABAMA
50: R2P18

CB SHAUN WADE
OHIO STATE
82: R3P18

LB MONTY RICE
GEORGIA
105: R3P41

S DOUGLAS COLEMAN
TEXAS TECH
124: R4P18

RB J.K. DOBBINS
OHIO STATE
174: R5P30

G THAYOR MUNFORD
OHIO STATE
183: R6P5

EDGE TREVON HILL
MIAMI
196: R6P18

DL NAQUAN JONES
MICHIGAN STATE

Come on..  after the season my man.  Plenty of time for the draft conversion then. 

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

On board.. but don't compare stats with Alshon though....   Alshon gets more attention.   That matters.  Just like comparing Cox stats to another guy who gets single teamed every play. 

But yeah... at this point we need another body... now isn't the time to complain.  One bottom feeder vs another.  The real work needs to be done in the draft and eary free agency... when we can bring in better starters.  Jmatt is what he is.. decent at best, but decent could be a big improvement at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

The real work needs to be done in the draft and eary free agency... when we can bring in better starters. 

Image result for clint eastwood nod gif

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

On board.. but don't compare stats with Alshon though....   Alshon gets more attention.   That matters.  Just like comparing Cox stats to another guy who gets single teamed every play. 

But yeah... at this point we need another body... now isn't the time to complain.  One bottom feeder vs another.  The real work needs to be done in the draft and eary free agency... when we can bring in better starters.  Jmatt is what he is.. decent at best, but decent could be a big improvement at the moment. 

Does he though???? I mean at a time Jmatt was the only WR threat we had he put together similar numbers and he got the attention....think your giving to much praise to Alshon and not enough to Jmatt....I’m not denying Alshon is the better talent and likely faces off va a top CB more often(though it isn’t like he is shadowed either) but we also paid him to do that and not like he has produced at that high level 

2 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

If he is in such great shape, why did SF cut him? Look, I get it. He knows our system. But we let others go for him and it does not make sense. Josh Gordon, although a head case, was a better option and Seattle got him. WE wait until it is too late and bring back JMatt. OK. you like it. I am just tired we bring back the same players without trying something different. Maybe this is best we have to choose from, but there were better options we let others have, which may have helped out more.