DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

  I wish we would start JJ and bench Ags. At least find out if he is worth keeping or not. We know Ags is gone after this year, so we need to know if we have anything here to build on. How many do you think we keep from this roster as it stands? Alshon is injury prone as is DJax. Ags is gone. Who is left?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

What does a RG have to do with a WR?

If you remember ( hard at times, I know ) Brooks had a mental "perfectionist" prob. even too sick mentally to play. Went to a shrink, now doing really well. Brooks should give Ag the Dr's card, just sayin, couldn't hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stine said:

If he is in such great shape, why did SF cut him? Look, I get it. He knows our system. But we let others go for him and it does not make sense. Josh Gordon, although a head case, was a better option and Seattle got him. WE wait until it is too late and bring back JMatt. OK. you like it. I am just tired we bring back the same players without trying something different. Maybe this is best we have to choose from, but there were better options we let others have, which may have helped out more.

Meh. Was Josh Gordon a better option? He had one very good season in his career, he's not reliable, people thought by the Pats trading for him, that they would straighten him out, nope, didn't happen. He bailed on them last December saying he was going to focus on his mental health, only to have it come out that he was facing an indefinite ban because he violated the terms of his reinstatement.

Your logic of "If Matthews is in such great shape, why did the 49ers cut him" can also be applied to Josh Gordon. 

If Josh Gordon was so good, then why did the Patriots cut him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Don Corleone said:

Was Josh Gordon a better option?

The answer to this is probably no. Gordon has more talent but talent is only part of it. But I'd have been for both Matthews AND Gordon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The answer to this is probably no. Gordon has more talent but talent is only part of it. But I'd have been for both Matthews AND Gordon. 

One is reliable, the other is not. We know exactly what JMatt is and what he'll give to the Eagles. The other? He couldn't even be counted on to show up to meetings with the Pats on time, so, as I said, MEH.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2803433-patriots-rumors-josh-gordon-to-be-disciplined-vs-bills-for-being-late

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/gordon-work-ethic-patriots-release/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Don Corleone said:

One is reliable, the other is not. We know exactly what JMatt is and what he'll give to the Eagles. The other? He couldn't even be counted on to show up to meetings with the Pats on time, so, as I said, MEH.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2803433-patriots-rumors-josh-gordon-to-be-disciplined-vs-bills-for-being-late

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/gordon-work-ethic-patriots-release/

Did I say Gordon over Matthews? Come on your better than that Don.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Did I say Gordon over Matthews? Come on your better than that Don.

Did I suggest you did? Nope, not in the least. You suggested you wanted both and I'm pointing out why wanting Gordon is/was flawed. People look at his one great year, look at the Eagles WR corps and think "oh, he has to be better than what's on the roster." In reality, that's not necessarily true, for the simple fact, he can't be relied upon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I would still look at Kelvin Benjamin.Not fast,not a deep threat,but a "go to" type when you got nothing else working.He has reliable hands,would be cheap to add.Once again we're not getting anyone great,but if we can dink and dunk and keep the chains moving,we can rely on our running game.His best attribute is he is a BIG guy,with good hands and is  tough to cover,like having another TE. Joe I posted my little draft shot to show what there could be and how we can infuse young talent into this team at the spots we need them.Lots of WR talent coming.No that doesn't help us right now(not much will at this point),but we can plan around what could be assuming we re-sign Djax and have Alshon.As most agree AG is gone or re-done at a MUCH cheaper rate,which I doubt he would go for and frankly do we even need him around?.We need a deep threat in the wings(aka Djax goes down again) and as my little too early draft shows we can do that,add some young talent in the secondary.Would not shock me if we took 2 WR's by the end of round 4.Thats all I was trying to show.Bama has 3 good WR's and we need to get one of them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Come on..  after the season my man.  Plenty of time for the draft conversion then. 

Sorry bud,but I know they are already looking ahead and I tried a mock just to see roughly if we can get what we need.We can plan ahead a bit to decide who stays and who goes and this shows there are players available.Thats all i was trying to show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Did I suggest you did? Nope, not in the least. You suggested you wanted both and I'm pointing out why wanting Gordon is/was flawed. People look at his one great year, look at the Eagles WR corps and think "oh, he has to be better than what's on the roster." In reality, that's not necessarily true, for the simple fact, he can't be relied upon.

Nor can Agholor. Nor can Hollins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stine said:

  I wish we would start JJ and bench Ags. At least find out if he is worth keeping or not. We know Ags is gone after this year, so we need to know if we have anything here to build on. How many do you think we keep from this roster as it stands? Alshon is injury prone as is DJax. Ags is gone. Who is left?

JJ isn’t going anywhere pretty much regardless. We aren’t cutting bait on our second round pick to start year two. Very very rare. I do think he’s a much better player than he has shown so far. I believe he can accomplish like he did in the preseason on Sundays. And he’s versatile that can play every spot. 
  Don’t think moving on from Alshon is an option. Just hoping the bye week helps him recover and get his legs under him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Nor can Agholor. Nor can Hollins. 

Nice strawman. We weren't even talking about them, but, since you brought them up. How may times have either one of them been suspended for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy? I'll wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well I would still look at Kelvin Benjamin.Not fast,not a deep threat,but a "go to" type when you got nothing else working.

The same guy that has struggled with weight issues and hasn't played since last year when he had 2 whole catches with the Chiefs? Hard Pass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Don’t think moving on from Alshon is an option.

You're right Ham, it's not, not until after the 2020 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

The same guy that has struggled with weight issues and hasn't played since last year when he had 2 whole catches with the Chiefs? Hard Pass

Yeah,they had a few other receivers on their roster at the time.Thats 2 more catches than Hollins or Jjaw.All I said was "take a look" Like guys can't come back or haven't.Witten can come back,but he's the only one that can do it.At this point bring in anyone,so if it's no go it is,but why not try everyhing.Not like we have anything to lose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stine said:

If he is in such great shape, why did SF cut him? Look, I get it. He knows our system. But we let others go for him and it does not make sense. Josh Gordon, although a head case, was a better option and Seattle got him. WE wait until it is too late and bring back JMatt. OK. you like it. I am just tired we bring back the same players without trying something different. Maybe this is best we have to choose from, but there were better options we let others have, which may have helped out more.

Was Gordon a better option though???? I’m not overly thrilled with Jmatt either but it’s not like the man was chopped liver here either his stats spoke for themselves.....This whole Eagles WR corps needs an overhaul but that wasn’t happening this season mid-year 

3 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

The same guy that has struggled with weight issues and hasn't played since last year when he had 2 whole catches with the Chiefs? Hard Pass

My thought exactly plus he as suspect hands don’t needs more WRs that can’t catch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, stine said:

Sure, Do something stupid and use the "R" card as an excuse. I am so tired of this!!

LMAO…YEAH………racism. It's an easy scapegoat! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Nice strawman. We weren't even talking about them, but, since you brought them up. How may times have either one of them been suspended for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy? I'll wait.

You're missing my point. I'm not declaring Gordon as some saviour. I'm not saying that he'd have changed the offense. But he could have done more than nothing which is exactly what Hollins has offered us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Does he though???? I mean at a time Jmatt was the only WR threat we had he put together similar numbers and he got the attention....think your giving to much praise to Alshon and not enough to Jmatt....I’m not denying Alshon is the better talent and likely faces off va a top CB more often(though it isn’t like he is shadowed either) but we also paid him to do that and not like he has produced at that high level 

Yes... Alshon gets the better cover guy than Jmatt...all day, every day.    It's not praise, it's just fact.  NE wouldn't cover Jmatt with Gilmore.... Buffalo wouldn't put eirher White or a double team on Jmatt.   I don't put Alshon anywhere near the top of the league at his position,  but he functions as a #1 from the eyes of the opponent.   Jmatt might have been our best WR a few years ago, doing it from the slot he wasn't getting Gilmore and White or doubles on a constant basis. 

And yeah, it's pretty much a big reason Alshon is getting paid what he is... and also why Jmatt jumped around from the Bills to Pats to Eagles to 49ers back to 49ers and back to Eagles ..  all in the time Alshon has played for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

And we only cut bait with JMatt because of the stupid compensatory pick formula.  He was an option to let us sign somebody but cancel that out.

I just disagree... for this reason.  Since 2017..  Jmatt played for Bills,  Pats, Eagles, 49ers... 49ers again, Eagles. 

I get your, " he would have been cheaper than Agholor or Tate" sure and there is a reason why too.  Also, I don't think he factored as much in the comp pick formula, he was 7th round value, barely.   That was when he counted,  which we all know wasn't guaranteed... even on a team that traded a 3rd and a 4th for a WR.  

He is what he is,  a guy that 5 teams moved on from in the past 2 years.  That's a big factor, more so than any questionable possibility that he would count toward any comp pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But he could have done more than nothing which is exactly what Hollins has offered us. 

He can't offer you more than Hollins if he's showing up late for meetings etc, he's unreliable. That's the whole crux of the argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You're missing my point. I'm not declaring Gordon as some saviour. I'm not saying that he'd have changed the offense. But he could have done more than nothing which is exactly what Hollins has offered us. 

We don't know..  at this point Jmatt will come to meetings and practice on time.  Intangibles off the chart with him... just mediocre talent is the issue.  Gordon isn't guaranteed to even make a meeting in Seattle, let alone ever see the field. 

At this point Jmatt is fine.  To me Sanders would have been the only option at the trade deadline,  nobody else is enough of an upgrade over Jmatt that would have been worth trading for IMO.   

We made or bed, we lie in it.  Make the most of this year.   Alshon getting healthy.... Wentz willing to throw to Agholor more ... Doug having trust in the other guys to call some plays where they could be an option.   And how about incorporating more 2 TE and 2 WR sets.

Take a breath during the bye week and let's go make a run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so we essentially just switched S with the Vikings...They claimed Sendejo back and we claimed the young S they released in Marcus Epps....

So not only did we get our 4th round comp. pick but but a young rookie S in Epps that we can look at for the rest of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now