DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

so we essentially just switched S with the Vikings...They claimed Sendejo back and we claimed the young S they released in Marcus Epps....

So not only did we get our 4th round comp. pick but but a young rookie S in Epps that we can look at for the rest of the year.

I see like we got a ST guy but get to keep our other secondary players by getting rid of the reckless veteran S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Epps continued to be one of the top playmakers not only on the Cowboys, but in the Mountain West Conference. Epps finished the season with 68 tackles with 42 solo stops and 26 assisted. He also recorded one sack and five tackles for loss. Epps recorded four interceptions on the season and also broke up four passes. He recorded one fumble recovery and also forced one fumble. In his career, Epps has recorded 262 career tackles to go along with nine interceptions and four fumbles recoveries. He also has forced four fumbles in his career and has broken up 22 career passes.   From the Vikes scouting dept

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2017/03/17/robert-davis-the-2017-wr-steal/      On our PS.IDK why we can't develop these guys! Big AND fast,just what we need!!

Coaching is the problem. this has been a problem for the last few years. Seems like when our coaches get hold of young receivers they suddenly become incompetent. JJAW was a Red Zone monster in college, looked great in Pre-season, now he can’t get on the field because he can’t play all the WR positions  and now he can’t catch either.  Why can’t Greg Ward get on the field after years on our PS.  All the scuttlebutt about Wentz bypassing the reads since those guys keep dropping his passes contributing to the Offenses passing ineptness. These young  guys need to be on the field learning the offense making their mistakes.

Probably the most surprising is the failure of the F.O. To anticipate our WR needs especially watching the WR  ineptitude all season long. The Decision to stand pat at the trade Deadline... Hell no I didn’t want Josh Gordon or any x Patriot player. especially an unreliable player like Gordon .There was no way I would give Jacksonville our picks for Ramsey. I just don’t see the Howie I am used to seeing this season don’t see the effort I’m used to seeing from this F.O...

Lets hope they’re doing a lot of self scouting on the bye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, trini said:

Coaching is the problem. this has been a problem for the last few years. Seems like when our coaches get hold of young receivers they suddenly become incompetent. JJAW was a Red Zone monster in college, looked great in Pre-season, now he can’t get on the field because he can’t play all the WR positions  and now he can’t catch either.  Why can’t Greg Ward get on the field after years on our PS.  All the scuttlebutt about Wentz bypassing the reads since those guys keep dropping his passes contributing to the Offenses passing ineptness. These young  guys need to be on the field learning the offense making their mistakes.

Probably the most surprising is the failure of the F.O. To anticipate our WR needs especially watching the WR  ineptitude all season long. The Decision to stand pat at the trade Deadline... Hell no I didn’t want Josh Gordon or any x Patriot player. especially an unreliable player like Gordon .There was no way I would give Jacksonville our picks for Ramsey. I just don’t see the Howie I am used to seeing this season don’t see the effort I’m used to seeing from this F.O...

Lets hope they’re doing a lot of self scouting on the bye.

???  Which trade would you have made then? Question the effort?  Seemed to be reported by all the insiders that Howie was working his butt of making calls.  I can understand naming a trade that you would have done and so you disagree with a non move.. but naming players and trades you wouldn't have made and using those examples doesn't really back up your point.

We are dissatisfied that Howie couldn't get a fair deal for a player.   32 teams in the league, how many trades?  Plus we got a pass rusher, which I think we will need down the stretch.   Idk, sometimes the other team isn't willing to cooperate.   Sanders to me was the only trade for the picks that I might have made.  I'm not overpaying for Sanu or Robby Anderson.  Jordan Matthew's, as blah as he is... cost nothing... better deal than those guys.

We move on ... lots of season left. Let's go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I liked NE's trade for Sanu until I saw they paid a 2nd rd for a 30 yr old WR.

I would have kept Fort.

Concerns for me are 1) Is Howie again trying to act as a talent evaluator? If so he hasn't learned his lessons - we need Howie making the contracts recommended by a consortium of pro evaluators, coaches and the FO - know your roll!

2) Not developing/using players properly. Can't help regretting seeing players we let go thrive on other teams. Coaches need to adapt to players' strengths. We have some really talented players, it's up to the coaches to figure out how to get the best out of them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to break ice on the stock tanks this morning.

I guess winter has arrived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Thought I liked NE's trade for Sanu until I saw they paid a 2nd rd for a 30 yr old WR.

I would have kept Fort.

Concerns for me are 1) Is Howie again trying to act as a talent evaluator? If so he hasn't learned his lessons - we need Howie making the contracts recommended by a consortium of pro evaluators, coaches and the FO - know your roll!

2) Not developing/using players properly. Can't help regretting seeing players we let go thrive on other teams. Coaches need to adapt to players' strengths. We have some really talented players, it's up to the coaches to figure out how to get the best out of them.

 

I’m honestly ok we let Fort go. Our LBs are young but seem to be trending in the right direction and letting Fort go lets us get back 4th back.

As for #1 going with Howie is part of the process just like he has been last 3 years. Players finding success on different teams happens all around the nfl it is not an Eagles exclusive thing. I mean look at Jenkins he was a middle of the road S at best signed in Philly and got viewed as one of the best, Bradham similar thing. Nick Foles falter when he left Philly found success when he returned.

As for developing players that seems to only be focused at 2 positions WR and CB....OL thought we have developed guys nicely Dillard is coming along nicely looks like a stud. Big V became one of the best backup OL in football for a 5th round pick not bad. DL Barnett has come song nicely even with the injury setback he had. Sweat has been coming along. Just traded for Avery but had a great start to his Eagle career. Can look at Geodart and Sanders our QB room seems to be great at getting the best from guys as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think some are just jumping the gun on JJaw. Yes he did great in spring did great in the preseason but he was playing basic Ds where DC were not scheming anything and facing mostly backup or fringe NFL players....WR is again one of the hardest position for college players to transition to....I would have liked to have seen Doug and Co. try and utilize JJaw more in that span where Hollins was getting so many reps just to give the rook nfl exp and reps since Hollins wasn’t doing much anyway(but this is about my only complaint).

Even looking at the top WR in this rookie class they have not been overly impressive Metcalf and Terry Mclaurin(skins rookie WR) have been leading the class....And these are guys that are getting a ton more reps then we have given JJaw 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, trini said:

Coaching is the problem. this has been a problem for the last few years. Seems like when our coaches get hold of young receivers they suddenly become incompetent. JJAW was a Red Zone monster in college, looked great in Pre-season, now he can’t get on the field because he can’t play all the WR positions  and now he can’t catch either.  Why can’t Greg Ward get on the field after years on our PS.  All the scuttlebutt about Wentz bypassing the reads since those guys keep dropping his passes contributing to the Offenses passing ineptness. These young  guys need to be on the field learning the offense making their mistakes.

Probably the most surprising is the failure of the F.O. To anticipate our WR needs especially watching the WR  ineptitude all season long. The Decision to stand pat at the trade Deadline... Hell no I didn’t want Josh Gordon or any x Patriot player. especially an unreliable player like Gordon .There was no way I would give Jacksonville our picks for Ramsey. I just don’t see the Howie I am used to seeing this season don’t see the effort I’m used to seeing from this F.O...

Lets hope they’re doing a lot of self scouting on the bye.

IDK Jjaw won August,because face it he was playing our own lame secondary(my grannie would look good lol).I won't give up on him yet.JMatt was basically the only guy out there to get and we got him,the rest the price was too high.If you go after all those guys in "panic mode" you are merely exacerbating the problem.We're paying guys,they need to earn their paychecks and if our entire passing game hinges on DJax,we have an awful WR corps.I know everyone is like MEH with my way to early mock,but just look at the picks I made and you can see we can get young guys in key positions.We could do something really stupid and sell the farm for AB lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, joemas6 said:

???  Which trade would you have made then? Question the effort?  Seemed to be reported by all the insiders that Howie was working his butt of making calls.  I can understand naming a trade that you would have done and so you disagree with a non move.. but naming players and trades you wouldn't have made and using those examples doesn't really back up your point.

We are dissatisfied that Howie couldn't get a fair deal for a player.   32 teams in the league, how many trades?  Plus we got a pass rusher, which I think we will need down the stretch.   Idk, sometimes the other team isn't willing to cooperate.   Sanders to me was the only trade for the picks that I might have made.  I'm not overpaying for Sanu or Robby Anderson.  Jordan Matthew's, as blah as he is... cost nothing... better deal than those guys.

We move on ... lots of season left. Let's go. 

Like to see if we can bring that new S up to snuff.Seems like he has an unreached ceiling yet.I liked that pick-up.There are 4 college WR's off the top of my head I know about and we can easily get one of them in round 1(and I would) ANY of the 3 from Bama or Hill from my Buckeyes.All 4 are potential "impact right away" players  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Thought I liked NE's trade for Sanu until I saw they paid a 2nd rd for a 30 yr old WR.

I would have kept Fort.

Concerns for me are 1) Is Howie again trying to act as a talent evaluator? If so he hasn't learned his lessons - we need Howie making the contracts recommended by a consortium of pro evaluators, coaches and the FO - know your roll!

2) Not developing/using players properly. Can't help regretting seeing players we let go thrive on other teams. Coaches need to adapt to players' strengths. We have some really talented players, it's up to the coaches to figure out how to get the best out of them.

 

I miss Reich more than any player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

our entire passing game hinges on DJax,we have an awful WR corps.

Think it is more the lack of the deep threat element that is hurting our pass game. Which in this case is Djax since he was the only one we had. AG could possibly be it if he could catch the ball and him and Wentz could get on the same page 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then on top of that our shorter intermediate passing game has faltered mainly because of drops.... How many times have we seen a great throw by Wentz just dropped... I mean last week seen at least 3 first down grabs by Alshon Jeffery and he suppose to be our best guy. AG disappears for long stretches and when he is given a chance to make a play seems more often then not to miss on the play....Hollins have harped on enough...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, joemas6 said:

???  Which trade would you have made then? Question the effort?  Seemed to be reported by all the insiders that Howie was working his butt of making calls.  I can understand naming a trade that you would have done and so you disagree with a non move.. but naming players and trades you wouldn't have made and using those examples doesn't really back up your point.

We are dissatisfied that Howie couldn't get a fair deal for a player.   32 teams in the league, how many trades?  Plus we got a pass rusher, which I think we will need down the stretch.   Idk, sometimes the other team isn't willing to cooperate.   Sanders to me was the only trade for the picks that I might have made.  I'm not overpaying for Sanu or Robby Anderson.  Jordan Matthew's, as blah as he is... cost nothing... better deal than those guys.

We move on ... lots of season left. Let's go. 

I agree. Cincinnati and some of these crap teams have bad front offices. So it’s hard to work a deal out with a bad front office(which is why there teams suck). Sanu price tag was too steep. I’m with you on thinking Sanders was the possible deal to make. We need a speed receiver. But the trade that really I would have loved would have been if we could have snagged Quinnen Williams from the Jets. Not sure what all I’d give up...but it would be a lot. Two first round picks to start easy. We just aren’t going to be picking that high in the draft to get a talent like him. Put him next to Fletch and we are destroying people. Nightmare for any offense to deal with. I fully believe Rosey was working plenty of deals. I’m on his side here that no big splash move was made. More of a sellers market. Don’t make a bad deal just to make a trade. And that’s key is sometimes the best move is....not to make a move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Maryland GB! Still have to wish you the best, we just blew a game. Drops, INT's, lousy secondary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T     As you can see our secondary reeks badly.Too many points and passing yards given up

I’m not overly concerned with season stats for the defense. But it has been improving. And that’s what really matters. How they were week 1 and 2 is pretty much irrelevant. Getting it fixed and tightening it up going forward is all that matters. Kind of feels like it’s all coming together. They have an identity now and can build off that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m not overly concerned with season stats for the defense. But it has been improving. And that’s what really matters. How they were week 1 and 2 is pretty much irrelevant. Getting it fixed and tightening it up going forward is all that matters. Kind of feels like it’s all coming together. They have an identity now and can build off that.

LOL yeah but offenses have gotten better since week 2.Their "identity" is "do the double move and burn them at will" 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the bright side,we have a good dink and dunk offense,so hopefully we can keep THEIRS OFF the field.Believe that is the key to the Pats game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bama/LSU-keep you eyes on bamas 3 WR's.Although Jeudy is probably out for us,I'd take either of the other 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now