DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

We're in trouble then if the scouts we hire have not played their assigned positions.Hell,I'll put my ap in,so can you

Scouts work regions lol not positions... Mike Mayock was what a CB guess he couldn’t scout any other position lol 

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

For the FINAL TIME I said IDK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We shall see if it's a good hire or not

Lmao you get so defensive for making no sense.... Plus can’t tell if it’s a good hire how are you going to know who Barwin specially suggests lol come on.... How do you blame or give credit to the guy 

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Lmao you get so defensive for making no sense.... Plus can’t tell if it’s a good hire are you going to know who Barwin specially suggests lol come on.... How do you blame or give credit to the guy 

What makes no sense? yeah our scouts cover areas,but they also are assigned positions to scout.They don't blanket scout everyone.

3 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Scouts work regions lol not positions... Mike Mayock was what a CB guess he couldn’t scout any other position lol 

He's been doing mocks for decades? I think Mayock has more experience? Barwin has never scouted before,so that point is moot.I will say AGAIN,since you cannot understand it,I am not against the hire,but I m not going to get my pom poms out yet.You can if you want.AND BTW if pass rushers were interchangable,why would we let Barwin go because of "fit"? According to you a pass rusher is a pass rusher

BTW we will never know if he had an impact or not anyway,unless they come out and say "Barwin picked this guy".All I am saying is,if I wanted to learn guitar,I would not hire a banjo teacher.yeah I can pluck strings on both,but they are different.Similar,but not the same.All I can do is trust their judgement at this point.I DO like the fact he seems to love this city and I know he will try hard,so for now,that has to be enough

Who said anything about Barwin making personnel decisions? I don't get involved in these boob for tats as they're just drama and we have way too much of that these days.

saying Matt Burke is the favored guy for the new DL coached... can not say I am shocked with his history with Schwartz....

I did say CB coach though for Burke but though his background was working with CBs 

I think it clear Doug needs help with his coaching decisions...He needs more people helping him with the vetting process...After his recent mis-handling of the Groh firing ...It clear the FO and Lurie are more involved with bringing in New Blood to the organization.

I am totally convinced that everyone on this board could pick one pro bowl cornerback and one pro bowl wide receiver every 26 years. That is the GOLD STANDARD you are up against with this club. LOL Some people are excellent with contract issues and capology and some people are excellent at picking football talent but very few are excellent at both.  There are a lot of  Eagles fans that believe our GM is one of the few that is excellent at both.  The moment you want to believe something, you suddenly see all the arguments for it and become blind to the arguments against it.

1 hour ago, trini said:

I think it clear Doug needs help with his coaching decisions...He needs more people helping him with the vetting process...After his recent mis-handling of the Groh firing ...It clear the FO and Lurie are more involved with bringing in New Blood to the organization.

Hmmmmm or the FO is to involved to begin with....Doug put together a SB winning O staff for the most part on O(minus Duce/Stout who were retained). 

34 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I am totally convinced that everyone on this board could pick one pro bowl cornerback and one pro bowl wide receiver every 26 years. That is the GOLD STANDARD you are up against with this club. LOL Some people are excellent with contract issues and capology and some people are excellent at picking football talent but very few are excellent at both.  There are a lot of  Eagles fans that believe our GM is one of the few that is excellent at both.  The moment you want to believe something, you suddenly see all the arguments for it and become blind to the arguments against it.

Not sure anyway thinks howie is excellent at both.... Also don’t go the extreme the other direction either though. We have not been a terrible drafting team yet we haven’t been a great one either.

42 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

am totally convinced that everyone on this board could pick one pro bowl cornerback and one pro bowl wide receiver every 26 years.

26 years is the time Lurie owned the team so guessing your saying we have only drafted 1 of each in his span as team owner at those positions.

WR I can understand we have had pay play under Lurie for long stretches. But still I know of two pro bowl WRs we drafted in Djax and Maclin has one in 2014

CB not sure how we are as tough on....Lurie takes over blessed to already have Vincent and  Taylor in place. After they leave drafted two pretty good replacements in Lito( made the pro bowl)and Brown(extremely underrated anyone not like Brown as a CB)....Then has this pretty great FA signing in Asante Samuel...

Our CBs play didn’t truly fall off till after the whole dream team bs in 2012.

40 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

26 years is the time Lurie owned the team so guessing your saying we have only drafted 1 of each in his span as team owner at those positions.

WR I can understand we have had pay play under Lurie for long stretches. But still I know of two pro bowl WRs we drafted in Djax and Maclin has one in 2014

CB not sure how we are as tough on....Lurie takes over blessed to already have Vincent and  Taylor in place. After they leave drafted two pretty good replacements in Lito( made the pro bowl)and Brown(extremely underrated anyone not like Brown as a CB)....Then has this pretty great FA signing in Asante Samuel...

Our CBs play didn’t truly fall off till after the whole dream team bs in 2012.

My bad, I missed Jeremy.  Ok the Gold Standard now becomes 2 WR's in 26 years and one CB. I'm not counting FA because that is my point. The Eagles ought to be admitting that they are terrible at drafting CB's and WR's and sign FA's in those positions. They are great drafting other areas. Do your drafting in positions you excel  and sign free agents in the areas you don't.  OR find some more talent scouts to help you out.  A great talent scout is worth as much as a great QB and there is no cap limit to interfere with what you pay that individual or individuals.  Of course , as a GM,  you can't let your ego get in the way of letting those chosen Individuals do their jobs.

15 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

My bad, I missed Jeremy.  Ok the Gold Standard now becomes 2 WR's in 26 years and one CB. I'm not counting FA because that is my point. The Eagles ought to be admitting that they are terrible at drafting CB's and WR's and sign FA's in those positions. They are great drafting other areas. Do your drafting in positions you excel  and sign free agents in the areas you don't.  OR find some more talent scouts to help you out.  A great talent scout is worth as much as a great QB and there is no cap limit to interfere with what you pay that individual or individuals.  Of course , as a GM,  you can't let your ego get in the way of letting those chosen Individuals do their jobs.

My point on the CB is we didn’t need to draft them though till after what 12 we had a stable group for so long 

By the way, Jeremy Maclin was selected as an alternate in the Pro Bowl. He wasn't initially chosen but he filled in later after the  Denver Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas got injured. Still, he played in the pro bowl even if he wasn't originally selected and we have so few receivers that have been Pro Bowl Receivers that I can understand why you would want to count him. LOL

Just now, 1wrangler said:

By the way, Jeremy Maclin was selected as an alternate in the Pro Bowl. He wasn't initially chosen but he filled in later after the  Denver Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas got injured. Still, he played in the pro bowl even if he wasn't originally selected and we have so few receivers that have been Pro Bowl Receivers that I can understand why you would want to count him. LOL

Pro bowl is a fan contest so hard for guys to bring in that fan circle even if they put together pro bowl caliber years ie Maclin in 14 

But at the end of the day don’t care how we find the talent as long as we have it...If we pickup a CB in FA and he is a pro bowl caliber guy for us for 5-7 years great job Howie and the FO... If we draft a guy and he is that pro bowler great job Howie and the FO....

Not focuses solely on the draft or FA signings by themselves but together in how they help the team. 

On 1/17/2020 at 3:13 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ask that question of Baltimore! They are being very creative with runs.

Yeah... you think their QB has just a little bit to do with that?    You want those runs in there with Wentz?

18 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

If I can play guitar,I can play piano???? We changed D's and he no longer fit here,so his scouting would tend to be more akin to his own talents no? So we'll see.As I said it's a minor hire anyway.I did not say I was against it,I said IDK.So,let's hire a QB coach as our WR coach??

What instrument did Ozzie Newsome play?  He was a good TE... why would they think he would be good in a front office?  I don't see the logic.  I agree with GBFL.  Bad hire by Cleveland/ Ravens for 2 decades.... they reached hiring a TE to be a GM.     Stick to piano.

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

Good strategy....just that I doubt the same scouts have been in place for 26 years.   Plus two realities to look at.

26 years...but how many picks? Like are we disappointed because a CB or WR we drafted in round 6 doesn't make a pro bowl?       

Take a guy like Sheldon Brown... was that a failure of a pick because he didn't get voted to a pro bowl?  

Idk... sometimes I think we overthink things as fans.  

50 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah... you think their QB has just a little bit to do with that?    You want those runs in there with Wentz?

Let’s not even talk injury history with Wentz let’s be real Wentz as good of an athlete that he is can’t do the runs that Lamar does.... Lamar enables them to do that with his ability he is the most electric runner since MV7 and on top of that he is even more dangerous since he is way further along with his ability to throw the ball.

39 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Good strategy....just that I doubt the same scouts have been in place for 26 years.   Plus two realities to look at.

26 years...but how many picks? Like are we disappointed because a CB or WR we drafted in round 6 doesn't make a pro bowl?       

Take a guy like Sheldon Brown... was that a failure of a pick because he didn't get voted to a pro bowl?  

Idk... sometimes I think we overthink things as fans.  

Jeffery Lurie has been in charge for 26 years. In private industry his results would get most CEO's fired. I know, he is an owner not a CEO. 

I never said Sheldon Brown wasn't a good CB. I said the Eagles had one Pro Bowl CB  they drafted in the last 26 years.

By the way, Asante Samuel was drafted in the  4th round and Richard Sherman was drafted in the 5th round. A.J. Bouye was an undrafted free agent. It can be done however not by the Eagles. The Eagles are better on the lines. A guy like Trent Cole in the 5th round comes to mind. Jason Kelce 6th round is another for example. They just have to stay away from the CB and WR positions. 

13 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Jeffery Lurie has been in charge for 26 years. In private industry his results would get most CEO's fired. I know, he is an owner not a CEO. 

I never said Sheldon Brown wasn't a good CB. I said the Eagles had one Pro Bowl CB  they drafted in the last 26 years.

By the way, Asante Samuel was drafted in the  4th round and Richard Sherman was drafted in the 5th round. A.J. Bouye was an undrafted free agent. It can be done however not by the Eagles. The Eagles are better on the lines. A guy like Trent Cole in the 5th round comes to mind. Jason Kelce 6th round is another for example. They just have to stay away from the CB and WR positions. 

Sheldon Brown was definitely a pro bowl worthy CB though and again during Lurie ownership he has been blessed with strong CB play where we didn’t need to draft guys that often.... 

Vincent and Taylor

Lito/Brown then Asante/Brown 

Asante and some other guys that did well.

CB position really only came apart after the dream team years mainly after JJ 

Can’t just look at the draft though either if you address CB in FA and get that pro bowl guy that locks down the position for 5 years and you don’t need to draft a Cb in that span of course your not going to draft a pro bowl CB 

Just now, BleedingGreen93 said:

Can’t just look at the draft though either if you address CB in FA and get that pro bowl guy that locks down the position for 5 years and you don’t need to draft a Cb in that span of course your not going to draft a pro bowl CB 

EXACTLY!  I will let you and Joe have the last word. Off to play baseball with my grandson!