DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Could be that this is the time to move for him then... Although so far (and it could just be that the organisation are keeping very very quiet) it doesn't appear that we have shown interest? And that perhaps we have other options in mind? I personally think it would be a terrific move though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I personally think it would be a terrific move though.

Agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Could be that this is the time to move for him then... Although so far (and it could just be that the organisation are keeping very very quiet) it doesn't appear that we have shown interest? And that perhaps we have other options in mind?

I think they want to exhaust every possible option and get it right after such a disappointing season with high hopes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I think they want to exhaust every possible option and get it right after such a disappointing season with high hopes.

Perform due diligence absolutely! Though the longer they want the more potential options go off the table so there's a risk with that approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Though the longer they want the more potential options go off the table so there's a risk with that approach.

My thought too lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, joemas6 said:

21 years in the league... Andy making it to the Superbowl 2 times.   So far the signature win in his career is against the 2004 Atlanta Falcons. 

Without having to play at New England and Baltimore to get to the Superbowl... I think it still holds true.  A win vs SF getting the title... who would have predicted the path would have been... Houston, Tennessee and SF?   

The stars are aligning. 

Uhhmmm...I kinda did. Houston got an extra bump with Luck’s retirement. I’m not going to claim I predicted Tennessee. But New England didn’t look that great to me this year. Very vulnerable. I was pissed when we lost to them even. And I’m definitely going to remind you that I told you San Fran was coming. As many times as we’ve spiritedly debated the cap....I pointed out what they were doing as an example. 
  And you’re talking about AR as a HC. Because he also coached Favre remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t usually want my players to talk trash. But I actually think we need a corner to step up and have that swagger. Maybe that can even be Sidney Jones. Something about that supreme confidence at that position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Uhhmmm...I kinda did. Houston got an extra bump with Luck’s retirement. I’m not going to claim I predicted Tennessee. But New England didn’t look that great to me this year. Very vulnerable. I was pissed when we lost to them even. And I’m definitely going to remind you that I told you San Fran was coming. As many times as we’ve spiritedly debated the cap....I pointed out what they were doing as an example. 
  And you’re talking about AR as a HC. Because he also coached Favre remember.

Of course... you knew Miami was going to beat New England in week 17!    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Uhhmmm...I kinda did. Houston got an extra bump with Luck’s retirement. I’m not going to claim I predicted Tennessee. But New England didn’t look that great to me this year. Very vulnerable. I was pissed when we lost to them even. And I’m definitely going to remind you that I told you San Fran was coming. As many times as we’ve spiritedly debated the cap....I pointed out what they were doing as an example. 
  And you’re talking about AR as a HC. Because he also coached Favre remember.

Again ... my quote... 3 weeks ago who would have thought that the path to getting to the SB for KC would have been .... getting a bye ... so Houston and Tennessee at home... then to play SF?     When with a New England win over Miami ... they would have been pushed to the 3 seed, and the path could have been ... home wildcard game, at New England ... at Baltimore ... then vs NFC champ.

BTW.... SF has 49 players signed and $15 mil of cap space going into 2020 ... Eagles have 58 players signed and $43 mil of cap space.  SF is where they are .... they stayed healthy and they drafted well along that DL.    If your path was for the 49ers to go 4-12 in order to get a top pick... that's great.      Congrats.   Lets not act like Bosa and their draft picks didn't contribute or that staying healthy wasn't a huge factor.     The cap space argument ... has little effect.   They signed some free agents, they should have had good cap space being that they sucked... I repeat, they sucked leading up to this year.    Very easy for a team that sucks to have a lower payroll... kinda makes sense doesn't it.      

Now we see if they can win a SB and sustain 3 years of making the playoffs.... which again, was the Eagles path.    We know that the Rams didn't make it 3 years in a row, which was your other team that you liked their business model.     We give SF credit, they took advantage of their schedule and opponents injuries early in the season to grab a lead and they held off Seattle at the end there to keep the #1 seed.   Lets see what happens the next 3 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting ... via Eagles/ Wentz / salary cap hits for NFL QBs

2019 ... Wentz ranks 21st in cap hit

2020 ... he ranks 15th

2021 ... 3rd   

2022 ... 4th

2023 .. 3rd

2024 .. 1st as only he and Goff are under contract that long at the moment.   


We all know this will change as Mahomes, Watson, Dak ...etc are going to get paid .... Lamar Jackson too.   If you look at realistically what is going to probably happen... restructure in 2021 .. and a new deal in 2023 when he will have turned 30 in December of 2022.   By jumping ahead ... they can keep him paid at the top while keeping his cap hits down for a long time.     He turns 37 in December of 2029.     Stay healthy and the decade should be successful.   Big draft coming up to help build the new core.   Plenty of cap space to sign any free agents that you want long term as well.    Very big off-season here!  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I too think that Jim Caldwell would benefit the Eagles at this stage of his life. He is a teacher foremost and an offensive coordinator second. Sort of like a Tony Dungy.  Doug likes to call the plays and Caldwell at age 65 has already had his shot at Head coaching. Although he can be demanding from what I have read, he also lets his ego at the door. I believe that both Pederson and Wentz  would benefit from being around him for a couple years. Of course since I will be 67 at my next birthday I can relate to Caldwell. He had a shirt on during a photo op  that I also wear to my Grandson's football practice's that says "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" . That is my kind of guy.  Not to mention that inspiring others can come in many forms. Of course it can be by good coaching but also by sharing your story, your struggles and how you managed to overcome your obstacles.  In my opinion, Caldwell is the real deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Uhhmmm...I kinda did. Houston got an extra bump with Luck’s retirement. I’m not going to claim I predicted Tennessee. But New England didn’t look that great to me this year. Very vulnerable. I was pissed when we lost to them even. And I’m definitely going to remind you that I told you San Fran was coming. As many times as we’ve spiritedly debated the cap....I pointed out what they were doing as an example. 
  And you’re talking about AR as a HC. Because he also coached Favre remember.

Last year I said to watch SF THIS year. I called SF this year 25 years ago,you musta missed my post 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Interesting ... via Eagles/ Wentz / salary cap hits for NFL QBs

2019 ... Wentz ranks 21st in cap hit

2020 ... he ranks 15th

2021 ... 3rd   

2022 ... 4th

2023 .. 3rd

2024 .. 1st as only he and Goff are under contract that long at the moment.   


We all know this will change as Mahomes, Watson, Dak ...etc are going to get paid .... Lamar Jackson too.   If you look at realistically what is going to probably happen... restructure in 2021 .. and a new deal in 2023 when he will have turned 30 in December of 2022.   By jumping ahead ... they can keep him paid at the top while keeping his cap hits down for a long time.     He turns 37 in December of 2029.     Stay healthy and the decade should be successful.   Big draft coming up to help build the new core.   Plenty of cap space to sign any free agents that you want long term as well.    Very big off-season here!  

 

IDK in 2024,Pats may bring Brady back at 113 years old for $1.49 cap hit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL is getting swept up in Vegas! The draft is going to be there...on water...with players in boats. At the UFC fight Brady was caught chatting it up with the Raiders owner. Could Tom Brady move to Vegas? Exciting stuff with this new move.

All the old LA Raider fans have been buying up season tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

I too think that Jim Caldwell would benefit the Eagles at this stage of his life. He is a teacher foremost and an offensive coordinator second. Sort of like a Tony Dungy.  Doug likes to call the plays and Caldwell at age 65 has already had his shot at Head coaching. Although he can be demanding from what I have read, he also lets his ego at the door. I believe that both Pederson and Wentz  would benefit from being around him for a couple years. Of course since I will be 67 at my next birthday I can relate to Caldwell. He had a shirt on during a photo op  that I also wear to my Grandson's football practice's that says "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" . That is my kind of guy.  Not to mention that inspiring others can come in many forms. Of course it can be by good coaching but also by sharing your story, your struggles and how you managed to overcome your obstacles.  In my opinion, Caldwell is the real deal.

Wrang,

I would like Caldwell.   A couple of simple reasons.    1.  He fits a profile that would keep certain people calm as Duce wouldn't get promoted.    2.  He worked with Peyton Manning... ie QB who was in total control of everything... I believe would help Doug let Wentz control more.    3.  Obvious short term guy not looking for next job... so could be a place holder and then they give Duce the position... if that's what they want.     4.  any head coaching experience is good, but winning experience is better.  

All the other stuff, that's great too.... but to me the basics here make a strong case for hiring him over some other guys.   I don't need the next genius... I already have a head coach / play caller that likes to make things too complicated... an older more experienced guy that can say ... " yo, calm down and keep it simple"   IMO is perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,we better get going here,we have alot of people to hire.And to those that say "long way off",scouts are already scouting... and I would like to have decision makers in place ASAP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Congrats Lane

Personally I hope any pro bowl Eagles find an excuse not to play.

We don't need any ACLs in a meaningless game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Mas I don’t think I agree with your points about Caldwell. I see things differently. Duce won’t get the job because of the reasons Groh got fired. Groh was instantly more involved in the gameplans than Duce. So if Groh’s inexperience wasn’t enough...Duce is even further behind(hence why Groh got the job in the first place). Duce should be in check by seeing that promotion to OC would put him on the hot seat. He was granted extra powers and title. So he’s in a sweet spot. Three coaches just got axed. That was a loud and clear message. Stakes are high. So Duce feelings(or most any of the coaches) aren’t the concern. Just be glad you survived and still have a job. Caldwell was a good coach. But we need that super hard worker that can breakdown the film with a passion. Gotta get off to faster starts with the gameplan. That was the clear struggle this past season. We need first quarter points. Much of that comes down to film study and setting the script. I expect to be successful early and make the opponent adjust. Most the time there should be a few great plays early taking advantage of the defense. That’s mostly just prep during each week. Then we need a guy to also do excellent self scouting. Figure out what tendencies other teams are noticing from us. Keep mixing it up. We had a few times where it seemed like we were predictable by formation and personnel. Gotta have multiple options out of each look. Nothing I hate more than when a defender is calling out your play. All about keeping them off balance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the idea of bringing in some of the college ideas. The Harrell type. College ideas have been penetrating the NFL more than any other time I can remember. And adding some college concepts should help with some younger players adapting and flourishing quickly here. I’ve always been a fan of the Pedey hire. But he’s fairly new to coaching. So just keep adding to his knowledge base to keep developing him. We got a guy that could be coaching here for a decade or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

No Mas I don’t think I agree with your points about Caldwell. I see things differently. Duce won’t get the job because of the reasons Groh got fired. Groh was instantly more involved in the gameplans than Duce. So if Groh’s inexperience wasn’t enough...Duce is even further behind(hence why Groh got the job in the first place). Duce should be in check by seeing that promotion to OC would put him on the hot seat. He was granted extra powers and title. So he’s in a sweet spot. Three coaches just got axed. That was a loud and clear message. Stakes are high. So Duce feelings(or most any of the coaches) aren’t the concern. Just be glad you survived and still have a job. Caldwell was a good coach. But we need that super hard worker that can breakdown the film with a passion. Gotta get off to faster starts with the gameplan. That was the clear struggle this past season. We need first quarter points. Much of that comes down to film study and setting the script. I expect to be successful early and make the opponent adjust. Most the time there should be a few great plays early taking advantage of the defense. That’s mostly just prep during each week. Then we need a guy to also do excellent self scouting. Figure out what tendencies other teams are noticing from us. Keep mixing it up. We had a few times where it seemed like we were predictable by formation and personnel. Gotta have multiple options out of each look. Nothing I hate more than when a defender is calling out your play. All about keeping them off balance. 

Again... keep it simple.    The coach calls the plays.  A guy that he can respect with experience to help reign him in would be perfect.   Don't make a simple game complicated.  Start of games, they seem to be all over the place.  That to me is more of a lack of direction,  trying to outsmart when you don't have to...etc.  More basics early make it easier to get the players into the game, and have plays to build from.

To me it seems like they start out trying to counter the counter move... instead of trying to establish something.   You gotta establish something first.  Whatever it is doesn't really matter.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

No Mas I don’t think I agree with your points about Caldwell. I see things differently. Duce won’t get the job because of the reasons Groh got fired. Groh was instantly more involved in the gameplans than Duce. So if Groh’s inexperience wasn’t enough...Duce is even further behind(hence why Groh got the job in the first place). Duce should be in check by seeing that promotion to OC would put him on the hot seat. He was granted extra powers and title. So he’s in a sweet spot. Three coaches just got axed. That was a loud and clear message. Stakes are high. So Duce feelings(or most any of the coaches) aren’t the concern. Just be glad you survived and still have a job. Caldwell was a good coach. But we need that super hard worker that can breakdown the film with a passion. Gotta get off to faster starts with the gameplan. That was the clear struggle this past season. We need first quarter points. Much of that comes down to film study and setting the script. I expect to be successful early and make the opponent adjust. Most the time there should be a few great plays early taking advantage of the defense. That’s mostly just prep during each week. Then we need a guy to also do excellent self scouting. Figure out what tendencies other teams are noticing from us. Keep mixing it up. We had a few times where it seemed like we were predictable by formation and personnel. Gotta have multiple options out of each look. Nothing I hate more than when a defender is calling out your play. All about keeping them off balance. 

Btw... don't be naive. Duce gets a job in 5 minutes if the Eagles are dumb enough to let him go.  His desire to be a head coach is well known. The path there is much harder by staying as a RB coach.  Being a coordinator on a playoff team will get exposure to interviews.  Again, I know you get all excited about anything complicated.  The shiny new toy.  Imo, this team needs to be more like 2017, dominate your basic plays. Don't play uphill football.   We have a system that requires a speed WR if not 2 of them.  You get that in place. You bring a guy that could be a help for a couple years, a calming influence.  A college guy who can get pushed around by players, a college guy that is used to controlling things..  I don't need that.   Again, Caldwell fits the profile...the basics... respect from Doug, a career mentor to Duce and a guy who had his QB play like Wentz wants to play.   A soundboard.   Doug doesn't need play design IMO as much as a slap in the face every so often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now