DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Btw... don't be naive. Duce gets a job in 5 minutes if the Eagles are dumb enough to let him go.  His desire to be a head coach is well known. The path there is much harder by staying as a RB coach.  Being a coordinator on a playoff team will get exposure to interviews.  Again, I know you get all excited about anything complicated.  The shiny new toy.  Imo, this team needs to be more like 2017, dominate your basic plays. Don't play uphill football.   We have a system that requires a speed WR if not 2 of them.  You get that in place. You bring a guy that could be a help for a couple years, a calming influence.  A college guy who can get pushed around by players, a college guy that is used to controlling things..  I don't need that.   Again, Caldwell fits the profile...the basics... respect from Doug, a career mentor to Duce and a guy who had his QB play like Wentz wants to play.   A soundboard.   Doug doesn't need play design IMO as much as a slap in the face every so often.

I really like the support for the old Coach Jim Caldwell being a senior, I can appreciate the value of his experience. If Jim Caldwell still has the desire to teach, take Wentz to his full potential,  help Doug’s  scheme grow. Hell Caldwell is certainly qualified...It would be the smart safe hire. I don’t know if Doug wants anyone else looking over his shoulder. Doug publicly made a fool of himself when he appeared to have been over ridden on his Coaching decisions to keep Groh and Walch. He already has Schwartz to deal with...a DC perceived to have equal power to Doug.

I am also on the side of a younger fresher mind like that La Fleur kid...not the Green Bay Coach obviously. Young ideas and minds for this New Decade of fans. A young, sharp guy, that will can grow with the youth that Howie has emphasized will be the focus moving forward . The scheme and team must continue to evolve, The new O C must have HC potential and the ability to replace Doug. Doug desire to call plays is a small stumbling block in hiring the New guy.

20 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Congrats Lane

Even though he's an alternate (BS) I congratulate him too. He should've been named outright. Lane and Brooks are the best rt. tandem in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Btw... don't be naive. Duce gets a job in 5 minutes if the Eagles are dumb enough to let him go.  His desire to be a head coach is well known. The path there is much harder by staying as a RB coach.  Being a coordinator on a playoff team will get exposure to interviews.  Again, I know you get all excited about anything complicated.  The shiny new toy.  Imo, this team needs to be more like 2017, dominate your basic plays. Don't play uphill football.   We have a system that requires a speed WR if not 2 of them.  You get that in place. You bring a guy that could be a help for a couple years, a calming influence.  A college guy who can get pushed around by players, a college guy that is used to controlling things..  I don't need that.   Again, Caldwell fits the profile...the basics... respect from Doug, a career mentor to Duce and a guy who had his QB play like Wentz wants to play.   A soundboard.   Doug doesn't need play design IMO as much as a slap in the face every so often.

The arguments by you and @1wrangler cement my desire for Caldwell to get the job. Thanks guys!

So shocker(not really) saying we are interested in free agent CBs and we are linked to Harris Jr. and Byron Jones....

My only question with Harris Jr. is he is what 30 about to be 31 for a team that said to want to get younger doesn’t seem to make a ton of sense...Sure the short term maybe he helps us but at what cost.... Would much rather get a guy like Jones who is just entering his prime years.

3 hours ago, trini said:

I am also on the side of a younger fresher mind like that La Fleur kid...not the Green Bay Coach obviously. Young ideas and minds for this New Decade of fans. A young, sharp guy, that will can grow with the youth that Howie has emphasized will be the focus moving forward . The scheme and team must continue to evolve, The new O C must have HC potential and the ability to replace Doug. Doug desire to call plays is a small stumbling block in hiring the New guy.

Fresh mind is great.... but we need to be realistic, this new hire is not going to replace Doug.   If anything he jumps to another team.    My interest isn't in helping a college coachj get a head coaching job in the NFL in 2 years.  I don't see this as a long term position.   Also, I think 2 issues with this offense ... (our offense being the short passing game for the most part)  .. we lacked dedication to a run game, and we lacked the speed on the outside.    Give me a coach that reminds doug to run, and Howie getting us some speed on the outside... the offense jumps up tremendously.

I know some people get all wrapped up in the Xs and Os... game is still about the Jimmies and the Joes.   Reich and DeFelippo were the losses from the SB squad as far as offensive coaches.    We lost health at RB which took away Doug calling runs ... and we lost our speed WR.   Those are your differences from 2017.    It's easy to think that " we had them fooled"  in 2017 .. sure we did... we could pound it and go deep, that opened up everything inbetween.   Take those elements away and sure, we don't fool you anymore.   Lets get those elements back.

I don't really want to have Duce or Stoutland working under a 30 year old college coach.  I think Stoutland is fine being a career OL coach, but still needs to have respect for a guy above him.  Duce, putting an older coach, one where its obvious they also have another issue in common, I think can benefit him.  I'd prefer to kep both of those guys coaching their positions next year.  Bringing a guy in who doesn't rock the boat as far as " why him, now he gets a better shot at climbing the coaching ladder"   I don't think benefits.  For what?  Play design?     

2 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

The arguments by you and @1wrangler cement my desire for Caldwell to get the job. Thanks guys!

Does it give anyone the creeps (besides me) that we could have 2 former Lions HCs as our OC and DC?

I may be looking at this situation the wrong way but I think if you like Duce Staley and want to see him succeed in coaching, it is time for him to move on to another club. He has been with the Eagles for 10 years now in a coaching capacity. He started for Reid as a Special Teams and Quality Control coach. When Reid was fired and Kelly brought on board Chip move Duce to RB coach. After Chip was fired Duce interviewed for the Head Coaching job that Pederson eventually got. That was the number one bypass. Pederson kept him on board in the same capacity after he was named Head Coach. When Reich left, Duce interviewed for the offensive coordinator position that Groh eventually got. That was number two bypass. Of course Duce was promoted to assistant head coach to pacify him after he was rejected. Now Groh didn't work out and a new offensive coordinator will be named again. I think most of us see the writing on the wall for Duce and it will probably be bypass number three. Being with the same club for a 10 year period as a young  coach learning the ropes has both advantages and disadvantages . You definitely learn all the good qualities of the club you work for but you also develop the same bad habits of that club.  I must go back to old Winston Churchill when he said "To improve is to change, so to be perfect is to have changed often".  In Duce's case I believe Winston's advice holds true. It is time to move on.

7 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I liked the idea of bringing in some of the college ideas. The Harrell type. College ideas have been penetrating the NFL more than any other time I can remember. And adding some college concepts should help with some younger players adapting and flourishing quickly here. I’ve always been a fan of the Pedey hire. But he’s fairly new to coaching. So just keep adding to his knowledge base to keep developing him. We got a guy that could be coaching here for a decade or more.

College ideas-like Chip????? 

14 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

Does it give anyone the creeps (besides me) that we could have 2 former Lions HCs as our OC and DC?

LOL Good one ASG15, however both the guys you are talking about had other stops along the way as well. All I will say is I know I am in the minority but one of them can go anytime and I would be happy. 

7 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

College ideas-like Chip????? 

Not sure what college ideas are anymore lol.... Before things like the read option, RPOs, spread O etc were widely consider college Os but nowadays everything is just so blended....

Dont think we have to say college ideas or pro ideas, etc just great football ideas...

23 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I may be looking at this situation the wrong way but I think if you like Duce Staley and want to see him succeed in coaching, it is time for him to move on to another club. He has been with the Eagles for 10 years now in a coaching capacity. He started for Reid as a Special Teams and Quality Control coach. When Reid was fired and Kelly brought on board Chip move Duce to RB coach. After Chip was fired Duce interviewed for the Head Coaching job that Pederson eventually got. That was the number one bypass. Pederson kept him on board in the same capacity after he was named Head Coach. When Reich left, Duce interviewed for the offensive coordinator position that Groh eventually got. That was number two bypass. Of course Duce was promoted to assistant head coach to pacify him after he was rejected. Now Groh didn't work out and a new offensive coordinator will be named again. I think most of us see the writing on the wall for Duce and it will probably be bypass number three. Being with the same club for a 10 year period as a young  coach learning the ropes has both advantages and disadvantages . You definitely learn all the good qualities of the club you work for but you also develop the same bad habits of that club.  I must go back to old Winston Churchill when he said "To improve is to change, so to be perfect is to have changed often".  In Duce's case I believe Winston's advice holds true. It is time to move on.

IDK I had the same job for 24 years because I liked it.I was offered desk jobs-many times-more money,but I would not have lasted there because I would hate it.Maybe Duce enjoys his job.Never heard him complain.I never EVER wanted to rise to the point I became incompetent.Perhaps Duce feels the same.So,let the man coach where he is for another 10 years.Why are we trying to fix something that isnt broken?

Dewayne Walker is in philly interviewing for our CB position...Might be a pretty nice hire if we get him... Was Jalen Ramsey rookie CB coach before he got let go when Marrone took over then went to Cleveland and helped a guy named Denzal Ward put together a pretty great rookie season...

I really like that he got some young guys playing at high levels means he can coach/teach and he did it in multiple stops. 

11 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Not sure what college ideas are anymore lol.... Before things like the read option, RPOs, spread O etc were widely consider college Os but nowadays everything is just so blended....

Dont think we have to say college ideas or pro ideas, etc just great football ideas...

Torn,like Caldwell because of the experience.I liked Gruden because he was hungry to prove himself and he never got that chance in DC with their lame FO.So,IDC what age they are,either they are leaders or they aren't.I want the guy that pulls out the best effort from every player they have under them.I'm old.I know some young guys that are way smarter than I am,I also know some older guys that need instructions to tie their shoes who I would not hire as Wal-Mart greeters 

15 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

OK, so what do you do if you are Duce?  Take a RB coaching job elsewhere?   Lets say Caldwell comes in.   How long was he a coach before he got his opportunity?    And lets be real... to give Duce the head coaching job 4 years ago ... after only 6 years as a quality control/ special teams asst, RB coach????    I look at that interview as a favor to him, not a bypass.  It got his name out there.   As for Groh 2 years ago... I can see it that he was more involved in the game plan... but that to me was his first legit shot at OC to where you can view it as a snub or bypass.      You bring in Caldwell now to hold the spot... act as a sounding board for Doug, help groom Duce as an African American coach in the league to where he can be around a guy with similar experiences.  Duce is going to be 45 soon.  Still very young.  I think Caldwell being around for a year would help him a lot.  He can be OC in a year or two.   At age 46 or 47.  At that point, good exposure for a HC job.  And to be honest, if anyone would be a guy to take over Doug internally, I could see it being him in 4 or 5 years.  

I don't think any writing on the wall for him here.... I think being kept around during 3 coaching regimes shows how much they think of him as a coach.   How many coaches have been coaching football for longer than 10 years???  He was 34 when he started.  He's got 20 years left to catch up to Caldwell ... do it the right way.  He's got 2 more steps left.  If he gets the OC spot in a year or 2 at age 46 or 47.  He gets right in line to be a HC prior to 50.  

Leaving the Eagles now ... to start over????   I don't see it.  Remember, nothing stopped him from getting an OC job anywhere else either.   To be honest, I think he gets a head coaching job after only 1 or 2 years tops as our OC.   If he doesn't get the job now, neither a college guy or a guy like Caldwell will last long anyway.  His time is coming either way.  He's going to get poached soon enough.

6 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

zjmzLpVr_x96.jpg

Reason Michigan QB Shea Patterson wasn’t at Senior Bowl media day: He had a meeting with the #Eagles, I’m told

GBFL had him on his mocks I believe 

He was my last pick lol(still is,as I said my manual mock has not changed).Of course we will meet with 300 people by draft day lol

I like Caldwell for what he could help do with Wentz... Again proven track record working with QBs and getting the best from them... Not a west coast guy so likely some different ideas from Doug. Vast exp. in this league as a HC, OC play-caller....So would be a great sound board as joe said for Doug.

Caldwell had to step down in Miami because of some health issues not sure what was going on or how serious it was but something to consider as well....Bit good chance that if he wants to keep coaching something little less stressful like being an OC on a team that he doesn’t have to call plays for might be something that interests him for the short term....

3 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I like Caldwell for what he could help do with Wentz... Again proven track record working with QBs and getting the best from them... Not a west coast guy so likely some different ideas from Doug. Vast exp. in this league as a HC, OC play-caller....So would be a great sound board as joe said for Doug.

Caldwell had to step down in Miami because of some health issues not sure what was going on or how serious it was but something to consider as well....Bit good chance that if he wants to keep coaching something little less stressful like being an OC on a team that he doesn’t have to call plays for might be something that interests him for the short term....

Health issues.DO we need more of those? maybe we'd be better off to hire him as an "advisor?" IDK his issues(sorry I should cause i live here,but I'm not a Fins fan either lol)

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Health issues.DO we need more of those? maybe we'd be better off to hire him as an "advisor?" IDK his issues(sorry I should cause i live here,but I'm not a Fins fan either lol)

Would depend something the team would have to look into.... If there is any doubt about whether he can coach a full year i would opt for someone else but if he has a clean bill of health now I’d be all for him.... Again I don’t know why he left in Miami or what was going on...

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

It's pretty much what I see the role as.   Doug is too hands on right now.   Get a guy in just to keep him in line.  He also can talk to Wentz about how Peyton approached work everyday as a QB who controlled a lot of what was going on with the offense.    A good go between with Doug and Wentz to explain life outside the WC offense and how a QB coach can let the QB control more.     And also not a threat to Duce, but more so a mentor with his career experiences.  Just makes a lot of sense in all those areas.  

IDK.. I understand the young innovative idea.   But IMO Doug's biggest weakness as a head coach / offensive play caller ... is he makes things too complicated at times.   I see him as that innovative guy already ... he worked well with Reich right?   What element do you think Reich brought to the equation?  Innovation or experience to calm Doug down?   I think the later.  Doug and another guy who tries to outsmart everyone... scares me.    60 passes per game I can see.  

12 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

IDK.. I understand the young innovative idea.   But IMO Doug's biggest weakness as a head coach / offensive play caller ... is he makes things too complicated at times.   I see him as that innovative guy already ... he worked well with Reich right?   What element do you think Reich brought to the equation?  Innovation or experience to calm Doug down?   I think the later.  Doug and another guy who tries to outsmart everyone... scares me.    60 passes per game I can see. 

Definitely see in 2-3 years Doug becoming more like AR willing to give him future OCs(maybe Duce) times during games to call play similar how AR used to let Doug cal 2nd half of games...

Point is(for me) we are running out of options as other teams make decisions and we sit here.I'm still for due diligence,but the clock is ticking and don't want to settle for "whoever is available".Brought up Gruden right away,that was quite awhile ago

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

It's pretty much what I see the role as.   Doug is too hands on right now.   Get a guy in just to keep him in line.  He also can talk to Wentz about how Peyton approached work everyday as a QB who controlled a lot of what was going on with the offense.    A good go between with Doug and Wentz to explain life outside the WC offense and how a QB coach can let the QB control more.     And also not a threat to Duce, but more so a mentor with his career experiences.  Just makes a lot of sense in all those areas.  

Not sure.If the HC needs "kept in line" perhaps he is not suited to be a HC.IMO the HC is the guy that keeps everyone else in line.Like Ped,but at times he surprises me with bonehead things he should have learned year 1.I have seen growth in some areas,but continued screw-ups in others.Rather have  gung-ho OC,WR and QB coaches and have the HC settle THEM down than the reverse.Perhaps Ped doesn't have the experience to do that.IDK,all I know at this point is we are lagging in hiring anyone.WE have lots of positions to fill and they all need to be on the same page before we can successfully select draftees and FA's.Scouts are scouts and we need the decision makers in place,or at least guys that can intelligently inform Ped of who to go get(and why)