DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

OK, so what do you do if you are Duce?  Take a RB coaching job elsewhere?   Lets say Caldwell comes in.   How long was he a coach before he got his opportunity?    And lets be real... to give Duce the head coaching job 4 years ago ... after only 6 years as a quality control/ special teams asst, RB coach???? 

Lets take a look at Doug Pederson. Andy Reid gave both Pederson and Staley their start in coaching. Like Staley Reid gave Pederson his start at quality control coach in 2009. In 2011 he was promoted to QB coach. In 2013 he was promoted to Offensive coordinator. It took Pederson 4 years to go from QC coach to offensive coordinator. In 2016 Pederson became a Head Coach with 7 years coaching experience.  Staley has 10 years coaching experience and still isn't  an offensive coordinator. Of course he wants the job or he wouldn't have interviewed for it. Of course he wants a head coaching job or he wouldn't have interviewed for it when Pederson did. John Harbaugh got his coaching start with Ray Rhoades and then Andy Reid. He started as a defensive backs coach for the Eagles for a year and then was promoted to special teams coach for 8 years. In a total of 9 years coaching he got his head coaching job with the Ravens.  Another Reid disciple who got his coaching start under Andy was Matt Nagy in 2009. Nagy got 5 years coaching experience with Reid and the Eagles in offensive coaching positions and then followed Reid to KC as his QB coach. In 2016 he became the Chiefs offensive coordinator after seven years of coaching experience. By 2018 he was the Bears head coach. Thats 9 years of coaching from start to head coach. I was just trying to stay with Andy Reid disciples because he gave Duce his start like these other guys. I know that people progress differently along their career paths but I still believe Staley is stuck in second gear and if he wants to drive the car he will have to leave the Eagles. Probably even if he wants to be the offensive Coordinator. Maybe I will be wrong however, at the present time I am pulling for Staley to get his chance even if he has to leave the Eagles to get it.

12 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Lets take a look at Doug Pederson. Andy Reid gave both Pederson and Staley their start in coaching. Like Staley Reid gave Pederson his start at quality control coach in 2009. In 2011 he was promoted to QB coach. In 2013 he was promoted to Offensive coordinator. It took Pederson 4 years to go from QC coach to offensive coordinator. In 2016 Pederson became a Head Coach with 7 years coaching experience.  Staley has 10 years coaching experience and still isn't  an offensive coordinator. Of course he wants the job or he wouldn't have interviewed for it. Of course he wants a head coaching job or he wouldn't have interviewed for it when Pederson did. John Harbaugh got his coaching start with Ray Rhoades and then Andy Reid. He started as a defensive backs coach for the Eagles for a year and then was promoted to special teams coach for 8 years. In a total of 9 years coaching he got his head coaching job with the Ravens.  Another Reid disciple who got his coaching start under Andy was Matt Nagy in 2009. Nagy got 5 years coaching experience with Reid and the Eagles in offensive coaching positions and then followed Reid to KC as his QB coach. In 2016 he became the Chiefs offensive coordinator after seven years of coaching experience. By 2018 he was the Bears head coach. Thats 9 years of coaching from start to head coach. I was just trying to stay with Andy Reid disciples because he gave Duce his start like these other guys. I know that people progress differently along their career paths but I still believe Staley is stuck in second gear and if he wants to drive the car he will have to leave the Eagles. Probably even if he wants to be the offensive Coordinator. Maybe I will be wrong however, at the present time I am pulling for Staley to get his chance even if he has to leave the Eagles to get it.

Wrangler, again... look at the stability of those exact situations.   All under Reid.  Duce... Reid, then Chip.  Now you weren't going to make him head coach in 2016 were you?  Without coordinator experience?   So it was Doug... a new guy who hired Reich.    It isn't 10 years for Duce under the same coach like the other guys you mentioned.  He starts over in 2016.    Like I said,  you can make a case he got passed over for OC in 2018 after Reich left. That's legit.  Anything before that, I don't see it because he basically started over with regimes.  That's why you see guys in the league for a while and still position coaches...because they move from one head coach to another. 

The KC offensive coordinator position has been poached for head coaching.  So Andy needs to hire new ones.  He's going to lose his current one soon too.  As for Duce here...like I said, if he doesn't get the OC job, I think it's better if it's Caldwell.  It's basically a position holder for him.   I don't think he will be just a RB coach much longer... but makes no sense for him to coach RBs elsewhere at this point.  

To make it clearer.... he will either be our next OC, or the one after that.  Selfishly, I would prefer he is the later. 

The AR influence in the nfl plays a factor as well I’m sure....AR one of the most respected coaches in the league if he is endorsing a guy sure it carries some good weight to it.

Just a curious question possibly idea(think we have done this before) why don’t we let a guy like Duce or another up and comer call plays during the preseason just to get their feet wet and some exp. 

Have them come up with the game-plan of course have Doug/OC aiding them but would seem like a great way to help progress your coaches. 

"Eli Manning is retiring, according to ESPN. Eagles wished Eli the best after his last game in Philly in Dec His most losses, INTs, sacks were vs the Eagles (including playoffs) 10-23 record vs Eagles
37 INTs

63 sacks”

going to miss Eli and the way we just dominated him throughout his career.

8 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

So shocker(not really) saying we are interested in free agent CBs and we are linked to Harris Jr. and Byron Jones....

My only question with Harris Jr. is he is what 30 about to be 31 for a team that said to want to get younger doesn’t seem to make a ton of sense...Sure the short term maybe he helps us but at what cost.... Would much rather get a guy like Jones who is just entering his prime years.

I’m of the opinion at this point it’s up to Byron Jones, pulling off a trade or drafting a CB. The position has to be made a high priority. Jones is a heck of an athlete. Is he a reliable tackler though? Usually not the highest need from a corner...but it seems to be more important in Schwartz scheme. Taking him from the Cowboys would warrant paying a bit extra.

6 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

I may be looking at this situation the wrong way but I think if you like Duce Staley and want to see him succeed in coaching, it is time for him to move on to another club. He has been with the Eagles for 10 years now in a coaching capacity. He started for Reid as a Special Teams and Quality Control coach. When Reid was fired and Kelly brought on board Chip move Duce to RB coach. After Chip was fired Duce interviewed for the Head Coaching job that Pederson eventually got. That was the number one bypass. Pederson kept him on board in the same capacity after he was named Head Coach. When Reich left, Duce interviewed for the offensive coordinator position that Groh eventually got. That was number two bypass. Of course Duce was promoted to assistant head coach to pacify him after he was rejected. Now Groh didn't work out and a new offensive coordinator will be named again. I think most of us see the writing on the wall for Duce and it will probably be bypass number three. Being with the same club for a 10 year period as a young  coach learning the ropes has both advantages and disadvantages . You definitely learn all the good qualities of the club you work for but you also develop the same bad habits of that club.  I must go back to old Winston Churchill when he said "To improve is to change, so to be perfect is to have changed often".  In Duce's case I believe Winston's advice holds true. It is time to move on.

I think Duce is in a great spot. His first interview for the HC position was just to give him the experience of doing the interview. I believe that’s his Rosie, Lurie and Duce all saw that situation. Like taking the PSAT before you take the SAT. Assistant HC with real job security is nothing to sneeze at. Most coaches are sweating being fired most of their career. And now we got him a super talented RB. Really think working with Sanders could be a huge boost for Duce. Makes him look good and gives him a challenge.

But No Mas I just don’t see Staley as our OC anytime soon. Groh was rightfully ahead of him. And he just got axed. No way we take a step back. The decision seems to be made that this team isn’t in a position to learn on the job at OC. It’s win now time. The window is open. Got to take immediate advantage. Win now mode. No time for a bunch of training wheels.

57 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think Duce is in a great spot. His first interview for the HC position was just to give him the experience of doing the interview. I believe that’s his Rosie, Lurie and Duce all saw that situation. Like taking the PSAT before you take the SAT. Assistant HC with real job security is nothing to sneeze at. Most coaches are sweating being fired most of their career. And now we got him a super talented RB. Really think working with Sanders could be a huge boost for Duce. Makes him look good and gives him a challenge.

UH,Duce has been here quite awhile.We should know what we have by now.If we wanted him as an OC we woulda asked him and I seriously doubt an "interview" would change any knowledge of him we have that we would not need it.I don't think he needs interview experience with a team he's been with this long.If I took 10 PSAT's I would probably know what the SAT is about.TBH giving him the job now would merely mean we have 2 positions to fill instead of one since he has no OC experience(and I hope you meant OC not HC lol) and then we'd have to fill his old position.He did a remarkable job with all the RB shuffling we had to do,and look what he did with Scott.I would definitely give him a raise lol

OK so NOW I will alter my manual mock.I REALLY want Gabriel Davis here if we miss on my new 3rd round choice.But for now,I have removed him and added a TE,since we are good at bringing those guys along.Kids got great potential in my view and he may go before my pick,but I put him in anyway for now.Just a few tweaks(if thats ok ASG lol).I'm sure it will change more times,but trying to maintain my mock without mentioning everyone under the sun. Here it is 1-21 Ruggs-WR bama(no change) 2-53-Adebo-CB-Stanford)no change) 3-85-KJ Hill-WR-Ohio state(new addition) 3-103-Lamical Perrine-RB-Florida(no change) 4-124-Jonah Jackson-OG-Ohio state 4-140 Gaither-LB Appalachian state-DC"s pick-up- 1 spot) 4-146-Antoine brooks-S-Maryland(down 1 spot) 5-168 DJ Wonnum-DE- S.Carolina(no change) 6-190-Shea patterson-QB-Michigan(up 1 spot) 6-200 Jared Pinkney-TE-Vanderbilt(new addition)

52 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But No Mas I just don’t see Staley as our OC anytime soon. Groh was rightfully ahead of him. And he just got axed. No way we take a step back. The decision seems to be made that this team isn’t in a position to learn on the job at OC. It’s win now time. The window is open. Got to take immediate advantage. Win now mode. No time for a bunch of training wheels.

I think he is the fall back option now... not really who they want. But I think he becomes OC when the next guy leaves.

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

I think he is the fall back option now... not really who they want. But I think he becomes OC when the next guy leaves.

I could see that.I think with all the positions we need to fill at the moment,it just became another burden to make that change.We need 4 hires,moving him to OC now would still mean we need 4 hires(aka no progress) unless of course you hired Sproles as the new RB coach (I could see that possibly)

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I could see that.I think with all the positions we need to fill at the moment,it just became another burden to make that change.We need 4 hires,moving him to OC now would still mean we need 4 hires(aka no progress) unless of course you hired Sproles as the new RB coach (I could see that possibly)

Just think it's a little early for that.  Right now a new voice in the room helps.  A guy that Duce could learn from.  I absolutely think he will be next in line though after whoever we hire now leaves.  

14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Just think it's a little early for that.  Right now a new voice in the room helps.  A guy that Duce could learn from.  I absolutely think he will be next in line though after whoever we hire now leaves.  

I would opt for Caldwell,give Duce a raise,bring in Sproles as his assistant.When Caldwell hangs it up,both could be ready for internal moves up(Duce to OC,Sproles to RBC)

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Point is(for me) we are running out of options as other teams make decisions and we sit here.I'm still for due diligence,but the clock is ticking and don't want to settle for "whoever is available".Brought up Gruden right away,that was quite awhile ago

Worst case Doug continues to call the plays, they promote from within. I wonder how Doug really feels... I was one that had issue with all those folks that got fired except Phillip Daniels... I wanted them gone...yet those guys coached one of three teams that made the playoffs three years straight with a SB Championship. In hindsight Doug has done an extraordinary job...It didn’t feel like it during this season. The perception I have was a HC with Doug’s resume should have the power to keep the coaches they want. The way Lurie and Howie Fired his guys after publicly saying he was bringing them back ... Has a rift been created.?

6 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

The AR influence in the nfl plays a factor as well I’m sure....AR one of the most respected coaches in the league if he is endorsing a guy sure it carries some good weight to it.

Watching his Offense perform on the field certainly carries lots of weight in the league...they way he has been kicking everyone’s a$$es...Hahahaha sure carries some good weight to it.

51 minutes ago, trini said:

Worst case Doug continues to call the plays, they promote from within. I wonder how Doug really feels... I was one that had issue with all those folks that got fired except Phillip Daniels... I wanted them gone...yet those guys coached one of three teams that made the playoffs three years straight with a SB Championship. In hindsight Doug has done an extraordinary job...It didn’t feel like it during this season. The perception I have was a HC with Doug’s resume should have the power to keep the coaches they want. The way Lurie and Howie Fired his guys after publicly saying he was bringing them back ... Has a rift been created.?

Watching his Offense perform on the field certainly carries lots of weight in the league...they way he has been kicking everyone’s a$$es...Hahahaha sure carries some good weight to it.

IDK,but this is alot of people to turn over.Lurie had his heart set on a SB run. I don't know if the fired parties were responsible for NOT doing it.Look at all the injuries and we STILL made post season.I think Lurie though, was pissed about the games we should have won,so this could have been a wrong move. We shall see soon enough 

Should be interesting to see how Garrett does in NY.Still thought we shoulda grabbed Gruden when we had the chance

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Should be interesting to see how Garrett does in NY.Still thought we shoulda grabbed Gruden when we had the chance

Well if they don't hire Caldwell (if that's what he wants) NOW, I think the Eagles miss the train to Broad St. - a far fetched blunder. AKA Can't find my way home. A great Blind Faith tune BTW! 

I'd like to see the birds at least offer McCown the QBs coach position.

While looking for something else entirely regarding the Eagles I ran across a year old article with a sports writer interviewing Duce Staley after he was mentioned for the OC job with the Pat Shurmur Giants.  Thought I would pass along some excerpts from the article.

"I’m not worried about being a coordinator. I’m worried about being able to be out there and coach for another Super Bowl,” Staley said,  "That’s where I’m at right now. Everything else will handle itself.”

Hayes notes Staley wants to be a head coach and knows the OC route would be the easiest way for him to accomplish that goal, and the 44-year-old assistant did not dismiss a possible interest in going the college route to help get there.

But for now, the former Eagles running back is hoping his work leading their current backs will speak for itself and potentially land him a higher-profile job in the near future.

"Crazy league. Crazy situations,” Staley said. "You talk about being at the right place at the right time. Sometimes things are slotted, and they may not be slotted for you. Sometimes something may just pop up on you.

"Look at Anthony Lynn. Boom, next thing you know, head coach.”

This article puts things a little more into  prospective as far as Duce's thinking on the matter. At least we all know now that the job he really wants is Head Coach and the OC job is just an easier means to get there for him.