DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

PFF has us as needing to target Anthony Harris. He’s 28 year old FS in Minnesota. This does make plenty of sense. I’m having doubts about us landing a S in the draft. Just don't think the top two guys will make it close to us. Resigning McLeod is an option. I think he’s underrated. Kind of depends on the price difference between the two vets. McCourty is a FA but he’s 32 and going to want to break the bank and be longer term contract than I’d be willing. And not too mention you just can’t pay him and Jenkins. Have the massive high priced S duo that’s old.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

PFF has us as needing to target Anthony Harris. He’s 28 year old FS in Minnesota. This does make plenty of sense. I’m having doubts about us landing a S in the draft. Just don't think the top two guys will make it close to us. Resigning McLeod is an option. I think he’s underrated. Kind of depends on the price difference between the two vets. McCourty is a FA but he’s 32 and going to want to break the bank and be longer term contract than I’d be willing. And not too mention you just can’t pay him and Jenkins. Have the massive high priced S duo that’s old.

Antoine Brooks(maryland-he gave Ohio state fits) in round 4 🙂

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

While looking for something else entirely regarding the Eagles I ran across a year old article with a sports writer interviewing Duce Staley after he was mentioned for the OC job with the Pat Shurmur Giants.  Thought I would pass along some excerpts from the article.

"I’m not worried about being a coordinator. I’m worried about being able to be out there and coach for another Super Bowl,” Staley said,  "That’s where I’m at right now. Everything else will handle itself.”

Hayes notes Staley wants to be a head coach and knows the OC route would be the easiest way for him to accomplish that goal, and the 44-year-old assistant did not dismiss a possible interest in going the college route to help get there.

But for now, the former Eagles running back is hoping his work leading their current backs will speak for itself and potentially land him a higher-profile job in the near future.

"Crazy league. Crazy situations,” Staley said. "You talk about being at the right place at the right time. Sometimes things are slotted, and they may not be slotted for you. Sometimes something may just pop up on you.

"Look at Anthony Lynn. Boom, next thing you know, head coach.”

This article puts things a little more into  prospective as far as Duce's thinking on the matter. At least we all know now that the job he really wants is Head Coach and the OC job is just an easier means to get there for him. 

Fairly common route to a HC job

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I am very far behind this year judging talent for a number of reasons so for just this year I am waiting to see what the Eagles do in free agency with the large amount of cap space they have and what I believe will be an unusually larger amount than usual of older players being jettisoned due to their age and health issues. The thing that concerns me is that most of the turn over will probably be on defense. We know that Schwartz is interested in being a head coach again or he wouldn't have interviewed with the Browns. Now what do you do? Do you get younger on defense with Schwartz's type of players and risk him leaving next year or the year after or do you draft or sign young free agents that are built to play a number of different positions. If this is the year the Eagles get younger on defense, which kind of player do you invest in?  On offense, in the little time I have devoted to college guys. wide receivers and offensive linemen seem to be in abundance this year. GBFL has interest in WR's and my interest has always been in O-linemen. One thing for sure, the Eagles will be able to draft Kelce's replacement at Center this year if they want to. The fact that there are a larger number of 1st round offensive linemen this year means others will fall. It could get interesting.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Boelter-Brands-Philadelphia-Eagles-7-ft-Inflatable/1001068862       My birthday is August 20th.So go ahead and get this now for me lol

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

I am very far behind this year judging talent for a number of reasons so for just this year I am waiting to see what the Eagles do in free agency with the large amount of cap space they have and what I believe will be an unusually larger amount than usual of older players being jettisoned due to their age and health issues. The thing that concerns me is that most of the turn over will probably be on defense. We know that Schwartz is interested in being a head coach again or he wouldn't have interviewed with the Browns. Now what do you do? Do you get younger on defense with Schwartz's type of players and risk him leaving next year or the year after or do you draft or sign young free agents that are built to play a number of different positions. If this is the year the Eagles get younger on defense, which kind of player do you invest in?  On offense, in the little time I have devoted to college guys. wide receivers and offensive linemen seem to be in abundance this year. GBFL has interest in WR's and my interest has always been in O-linemen. One thing for sure, the Eagles will be able to draft Kelce's replacement at Center this year if they want to. The fact that there are a larger number of 1st round offensive linemen this year means others will fall. It could get interesting.

LOL,well I picked out an OG for you Wrang.IMO it's more cost effective to get linemen in FA simply because they cost less for the most part.The big loot is on WR's and CB's,so I tend to lean towards the young uns at those positions in my mocks.The OG ,Jonah Jackson opens holes for that terrible RB- JK Dobbins at Ohio state lol.Would not surprise me if they picked up a center as a UDFA(maybe 2 and let them fight it out)/Also this is a rather deep,talented WR class,so my thoughts are strike while the iron is hot.Bama has 3 good ones and thats just one team lol.Although I only have 2 on my mock,I would rather get 3,but I can't find a home(draft slot) for Gabriel Davis(UCF) at the moment.I have WR at 1 and 3,if we forego that 3,then Davis is my pick a bit later 

10 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

LOL,well I picked out an OG for you Wrang.IMO it's more cost effective to get linemen in FA simply because they cost less for the most part.The big loot is on WR's and CB's,so I tend to lean towards the young uns at those positions in my mocks.The OG ,Jonah Jackson opens holes for that terrible RB- JK Dobbins at Ohio state lol.Would not surprise me if they picked up a center as a UDFA(maybe 2 and let them fight it out)/Also this is a rather deep,talented WR class,so my thoughts are strike while the iron is hot.Bama has 3 good ones and thats just one team lol.Although I only have 2 on my mock,I would rather get 3,but I can't find a home(draft slot) for Gabriel Davis(UCF) at the moment.I have WR at 1 and 3,if we forego that 3,then Davis is my pick a bit later 

Here is a guy that should be around for the Eagles in the first round. Wisconsin Badger Center Tyler Biadasz. Coming out after his junior season and has played 41 games at Center for the Badgers. Intelligent kid who is good at picking up blitzes and keeping his QB upright plus he blocked for a couple good running backs. It all depends what the Eagles are looking for in the position but he is 6ft 3in and 322 pounds. Not sure if there is any center in this years draft that can run a 4.89 40 yard dash. Of course Kelce only weighed 280 pounds back at the 2011 combine when he ran that fast.

Wrangler, excellent point of concern with Schwartz. Been thinking about that ever since he got here. I believe S and a MLB we would safe in any coaching transition. CB is trickier. It’s a deep class of very good talent at the position. So the top guys should be pretty flexible. 
 But there also is the thought of the more talent you provide the defense the faster you send Schwartz packing.

One FA worth looking at is LB Stephone Anthony. A first round pick from Clemson by NO. Great looking prospect. Fantastic rookie season. But then got injured. And then traded. Obviously a guy with a high ceiling. Only twenty five. Has question marks about durability and whether he has fully recovered from injury. Maybe whether he ever will be right again. I can’t act like I’ve given him a physical and am a Dr. But he should come cheap. It’s a buy low option on a top talent guy.

19 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Here is a guy that should be around for the Eagles in the first round. Wisconsin Badger Center Tyler Biadasz. Coming out after his junior season and has played 41 games at Center for the Badgers. Intelligent kid who is good at picking up blitzes and keeping his QB upright plus he blocked for a couple good running backs. It all depends what the Eagles are looking for in the position but he is 6ft 3in and 322 pounds. Not sure if there is any center in this years draft that can run a 4.89 40 yard dash. Of course Kelce only weighed 280 pounds back at the 2011 combine when he ran that fast.

Have never seen a C taken in round 1.BTW. I don't care what my C's 40 time is.I would be more impressed with leg bench numbers(meaning he's a tree trunk) 

5 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

This article puts things a little more into  prospective as far as Duce's thinking on the matter. At least we all know now that the job he really wants is Head Coach and the OC job is just an easier means to get there for him. 

Absolutely, nothing new here.  He wants to be a HC ... I really don't think an OC job is that big for him, other than if he keeps getting passed up by younger guys.  Just a stepping stone.  I think he is a head coach within 3 to 5 years for sure.  

• There have been a total of just eight centers taken in the first round since 2000. Mike Pouncey was the highest center taken in the draft of those players. Miami took him with the No. 15 pick in 2011

• Frederick (2013)

• Mike Pouncey (2011)

• Maurkice Pouncey (2010)

• Alex Mack (2009)

• Eric Wood (2009)

• Nick Mangold (2006)

• Chris Spencer (2005)

• Jeff Faine (2003)

What should be noted, though, is that the centers taken in the first round from the group above have had successful careers for the most part. Frederick, Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, Mack, Wood and Mangold have combined for 22 Pro Bowl appearances. Faine was a Pro Bowl alternate in 2007.

6 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Have never seen a C taken in round 1.BTW. I don't care what my C's 40 time is.I would be more impressed with leg bench numbers(meaning he's a tree trunk) 

The Eagles did! LOL

10 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Didn't Dallas take their C in round 1 a few years ago?   Pouncey was round 1.  

4 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:
  • There have been a total of just eight centers taken in the first round since 2000. Mike Pouncey was the highest center taken in the draft of those players. Miami took him with the No. 15 pick in 2011

• Frederick (2013)

• Mike Pouncey (2011)

• Alex Mack (2009)

• Eric Wood (2009)

• Nick Mangold (2006)

• Chris Spencer (2005)

• Jeff Faine (2003)

What should be noted, though, is that the centers taken in the first round from the group above have had successful careers for the most part. Frederick, Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, Mack, Wood and Mangold have combined for 22 Pro Bowl appearances. Faine was a Pro Bowl alternate in 2007.

The Eagles did! LOL

I wouldn't unless there was no other player worth it.Maybe pick 32 lol

10 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

• Frederick (2013)

• Mike Pouncey (2011)

• Alex Mack (2009)

• Eric Wood (2009)

• Nick Mangold (2006)

• Chris Spencer (2005)

• Jeff Faine (2003)

The Eagles did! LOL

OK so I will re-phrase that it is rare.8 guys in 10 years for 32 teams.I sit corrected.Unless there are no quality players I need somewhere else,I would not take a first rounder

Seems like the top twenty of the draft is getting fairly locked in. Can’t even think about a C. Burrow and Tua to start. Two other QBs could be first rounders. Chase goes after the QBs. CB Okudah looks top ten. Brown and Kinlaw the big DTs will go top twenty. Simmons is a freak of nature going top ten. Delpit the other S is top twenty. Epenesa seems locked in as the second pass rusher off the board. CeeDee Lamb and Jerry Jeudy look to be near consensus top WR. Kenneth Murray is the stud LB. We’d love any of these players. Worth trading up if any slide.

Then it just comes to ranking the Oline. The CBs and WR getting ranked. These three positions look strong. Really looking for these to be a battle right through the combine and Pro Days.

I want to get hold of Murray. But it looks very likely we are sitting in the CB or WR spot at 21. Pretty much decided we are getting one or the other.

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Seems like the top twenty of the draft is getting fairly locked in. Can’t even think about a C. Burrow and Tua to start. Two other QBs could be first rounders. Chase goes after the QBs. CB Okudah looks top ten. Brown and Kinlaw the big DTs will go top twenty. Simmons is a freak of nature going top ten. Delpit the other S is top twenty. Epenesa seems locked in as the second pass rusher off the board. CeeDee Lamb and Jerry Jeudy look to be near consensus top WR. Kenneth Murray is the stud LB. We’d love any of these players. Worth trading up if any slide.

Then it just comes to ranking the Oline. The CBs and WR getting ranked. These three positions look strong. Really looking for these to be a battle right through the combine and Pro Days.

I want to get hold of Murray. But it looks very likely we are sitting in the CB or WR spot at 21. Pretty much decided we are getting one or the other.

Yep,got them 1,2

56 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Ask yourself this Ham. When was the last time the Eagles drafted LB in the first round?

Going all the way back to 1936, they've only ever drafted 3 LB's in the 1st round, 1956 Bob Pelligrini from Maryland, 1970 Steve Zabel from Oklahoma and 1979 Jerry Robinson from UCLA. From the sounds of it, they are going to fill the CB need through FA, which would leave them targeting WR early in the draft. My guess is, with the amount of picks (10) they're looking to have, they're going to try and move up to nab the guy they want.

21 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m of the opinion at this point it’s up to Byron Jones, pulling off a trade or drafting a CB. The position has to be made a high priority. Jones is a heck of an athlete. Is he a reliable tackler though? Usually not the highest need from a corner...but it seems to be more important in Schwartz scheme. Taking him from the Cowboys would warrant paying a bit extra.

Didn’t Jones play S for the cowboys for like 2 seasons think he is more the. Reliable tackler if that is a concern.

9 hours ago, ASG15 said:

I'd like to see the birds at least offer McCown the QBs coach position.

Apparently we have already approached McCown about joining our staff... McCown supposedly not sure if he wants to hang them up though now deciding if he wants to play another season. 

3 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Didn’t Jones play S for the cowboys for like 2 seasons think he is more the. Reliable tackler if that is a concern.

Yeah, he played multiple positions in his rookie year, then safety for two seasons and CB for the last two.