DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

If Dallas has to tag Dak ... Cooper and Jones hit the open market.   I think good chance they lose them both.  Very good chance.    That's why it was dumb all along not to pay Dak.... regardless if its overpaying him.... it has a domino effect.   That's why its smart to lock up Wentz when we did ... the value of the contract doesn't really matter as much as just getting it in place so you can make moves afterwards... Dallas stuck in a holding pattern.    If Dak was signed... they could tag one of Cooper or Jones, then focus on signing one.   Chances they retain all of them.... now good chance they lose 2 if they tag Dak.   

That's why you pay Wentz, Cox, Alshon, Jenkins, Graham...etc when you get the chance to lock them in .... we have a SB and 3 straight playoff seasons even with the most brutal 3 year period of injuries I have ever seen for us.    and Dallas has 1 playoff season with 1 playoff win in that same time span while Jerry saves his pennies.   

39 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Direct quote form you .... pretty much sounding like its 100% guaranteed wew will draft guys that will be good enough by year 2 that we won't have many spots to fill.     That's with both lines having many aging players... and your using 3 picks for WRs,   That DL you have mocked in round 6 is a shoe in... so " next year is not your concern with having draft picks"   

Yes... I realize there is a chance.... less than 50 % that any of those picks may be ok... but I'm not so confident to say " having picks in 2021 is not my concern because picks 103, 124, 140, 146, 166, 168 and 190 are going to fill them.     If I fast forward to 2023 or 2024 ... I would think a 2021 2nd rounder has a better chance to be a good player that fills a need than any ONE of these 7 picks from 103 to 190 this year.  So I'm not in a rush to give it up simply because we have " double our usual draft"    

Once again,this is like a double draft for us.If we can't get 2/10 to stick,we really STINK.There is this thing called FA also Joe.I'm assuming we get someone????? Never said give it up.I would say we have 2x the amount of guys to make some stick than usual THIS year,which SHOULD mean we won;t have as many needs as if we only had 5 picks as usual

36 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

If Dallas has to tag Dak ... Cooper and Jones hit the open market.   I think good chance they lose them both.  Very good chance.    That's why it was dumb all along not to pay Dak.... regardless if its overpaying him.... it has a domino effect.   That's why its smart to lock up Wentz when we did ... the value of the contract doesn't really matter as much as just getting it in place so you can make moves afterwards... Dallas stuck in a holding pattern.    If Dak was signed... they could tag one of Cooper or Jones, then focus on signing one.   Chances they retain all of them.... now good chance they lose 2 if they tag Dak.   

That's why you pay Wentz, Cox, Alshon, Jenkins, Graham...etc when you get the chance to lock them in .... we have a SB and 3 straight playoff seasons even with the most brutal 3 year period of injuries I have ever seen for us.    and Dallas has 1 playoff season with 1 playoff win in that same time span while Jerry saves his pennies.   

They will tag one and overpay the other(coop or Dak).Jones should be the one who hits FA.I would say they tag Dak,then overpay Coop and let Jones hit the market.Should be fun to watch them squirm lol

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

They will tag one and overpay the other(coop or Dak).Jones should be the one who hits FA.I would say they tag Dak,then overpay Coop and let Jones hit the market

In all likelihood yeah. Tag Dak and then give him his #1 receiver back. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In all likelihood yeah. Tag Dak and then give him his #1 receiver back. 

I would put a nice offer in, and force Jerruh to overpay him lol(but I'm an arse lol)

50 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Direct quote form you .... pretty much sounding like its 100% guaranteed wew will draft guys that will be good enough by year 2 that we won't have many spots to fill.     That's with both lines having many aging players... and your using 3 picks for WRs,   That DL you have mocked in round 6 is a shoe in... so " next year is not your concern with having draft picks"   

Yes... I realize there is a chance.... less than 50 % that any of those picks may be ok... but I'm not so confident to say " having picks in 2021 is not my concern because picks 103, 124, 140, 146, 166, 168 and 190 are going to fill them.     If I fast forward to 2023 or 2024 ... I would think a 2021 2nd rounder has a better chance to be a good player that fills a need than any ONE of these 7 picks from 103 to 190 this year.  So I'm not in a rush to give it up simply because we have " double our usual draft"    

OK cool,fold up the tent and go home after round 3.No need to keep going, since it's an obvious wasted effort to go past 3

17 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I would put a nice offer in, and force Jerruh to overpay him lol(but I'm an arse lol)

No no that's being strategic not an arse. I'm all for it. If you have an opportunity to hurt a rival you take it. 

3 hours ago, trini said:

Clowney did my QB dirty .... but he can be Dirty for my Eagles as none of our young DE have shown much. I would be surprised if Seagals let him go . Hell yea on Clowney.

Sorry brother. Can't agree wit'cha on this. Hell NO on ArseClown. It's bad enough we have Barnett (who I was ALL in for draft) who takes late hits.  

On 2/12/2020 at 8:08 PM, GreenbleedinFL said:

Offer 21 and next years 2 and I bet they bite

On 2/12/2020 at 8:05 PM, GreenbleedinFL said:

We have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds(thats more that we susually have ALL draft).Pretty good chance alot of those can "stick".So if I have to give up some next year,since I basically would have(in theory) 7 "keepers" I would not hesitate to do it.Following year, you are basically looking for depth since you already have the positions covered(if you are following my logic)

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Once again,this is like a double draft for us.If we can't get 2/10 to stick,we really STINK.There is this thing called FA also Joe.I'm assuming we get someone????? Never said give it up.I would say we have 2x the amount of guys to make some stick than usual THIS year,which SHOULD mean we won;t have as many needs as if we only had 5 picks as usual

Yeah... here are 2 direct quotes from your previous posts .... basically saying you would trade next year's 2nd round draft pick   ....reason because this year there is a good chance these picks can " stick"    these picks where 7 of them are from 103 to 190 ...   "  7 KEEPERS"    ... " NO HESITATION"   to trade a valuable 2nd rounder because of the high chance that this year these later picks are going to " stick"   ... PER DIRECT QUOTES FROM YOUR POSTS

See I don't look at this as a " double draft" at all.   To me a " double draft"  would be having 14 picks... 2 of them in each round.   But we have only 1 first rounder and 1 2nd rounder.   ... the extra picks are in the form of comp picks... 103, 140 and 146 ... basically the equivalent of an early 4th and 2 early 5th round picks ...  and you moved up from pick 235 to 168 (from 7th to 5th round with the Bennett trade)     

For me... I'd rather have an extra 1st and 2nd rounder than the last 6 picks all 124 or later.  That's a closer version to a " double draft"    ... 6 picks with 2 in each of the first 3 rounds than 10 picks with 7 of them being after comp picks start.  

OK cool,fold up the tent and go home after round 3.No need to keep going, since it's an obvious wasted effort to go past 3

nah... NEVER SAID THIS ... 

But you clearly said a good chance these guys will stick!  Much different in our level of confidence either way... i'm iffy and think say 2 or 3 of these 7 picks will be ok ... you are sure they will fill needs.   According to direct quotes from the posts.

I would put an offer in because he is a good player and worth it.    But I think if they tag Dak... that means Cooper will wait to hit the open market ... once he does that... How can Jerry be the top bidder for him and keep his franchise QB on a tag?   Already paid the RB ... so you pay the RB and the WR top $$ but tag the QB?    That's brutal way to run a business.   I think good chance Cooper goes outside our division... Eagles could put a creative contract on the table to get him more $ in pocket ... but another team with tons of cap space ( say Buffalo) can offer more if they need to.  put those 2 things in play, and I really see a low chance Cooper returns to Dallas to play with a QB on a tag?    He might, always a chance, but if he hits the open market, I think he is gone from big D.  

11 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

May actually be looking at the wrong dullass player in Cooper, who's the next expected to get paid after Dak. I'd be looking at Byron Jones.

I agree. I would much rather go after Jones!

9 hours ago, trini said:

I know Coop May be many favorite here... I watched him disappear in Oakland and he did the same in Dallas...aside from the fact he is a Stinking Cow#itch had enough of those back stabbing $ss&oles... no more Scandricks please. besides Jerry did not give up a first round pick for Coop to let him walk. Breshad Perriman would be my target... big, fast, hungry, and cheaper.... he seems to be up and coming. Don’t want no x Patsies either not after Patrick Chung. 

I agree Trini. I do not want to spend my cap on Cooper. I would much rather tie up a solid CB like Jones and grab a few other young FA's to fill needs. LB, S. DL....  WR is a very deep position in the draft. We should be able to get 2-3 starters this year, one of which should be an absolute stud. A stud you have for 5 years before paying Cooper type cash. I think we drive up the price tag for Cooper and let someone over pay for him, like Dallas. Cooper scares me TBH. He plays great all year then disappears when he is needed most? Really? We want to invest in a player that disappears when needed? I'll pass.

8 hours ago, joemas6 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CoopAm00.htm

Yeah... I hate 26 year old guys that made the pro bowl 4 out of 5 years in the league?    Too risky.... I mean, he had a bad game at the end of the year ... so he disappears... lol   WE should trade Wentz too, he can't do squat in the playoffs.... lol.  

All the pro bowl WRs we have had here... I lost track counting.  Why should we get one now.... just draft a guy who has never played an NFL snap, better odds that a guy who is already a 4 time pro bowler.   ??????????

He's a ex Cowboy??????    Not really, he is an ex Raider... he had no choice to go to Dallas via the trade, you could tell his heart wasn't in it.  But yeah... think about it... what is your opinion on Wentz, Dak and Carr.... dude made 2 pro bowls playing with  each of those 2.... IDK, call me crazy thinking the odds are really darn good he excels with Wentz.  

We trade Alshon this year... his $18.56 mil cap hit for 2021 comes off the books.  That would be more than what Cooper's cap hit would be if Howie does his normal deal.   You trade Alshon  and it only costs you $749k of cap space (basically the same as keeping him)... say it's to Buffalo for a 6th round pick.  Use that pick to help move up to get the 1st round WR.   (Buffalo is desperate for a weapon, I'm being generous in only saying they give us a 6th)   

Now tell me... why would anyone complain about swapping out Cooper for Alshon ... and getting more ammo to move up to get your target in round 1?    A pro bowl player 4 out of the last 5 years... who is 4 years younger than Alshon... costing the same?   

How many WRs made the pro bowl 4 out of the last 5 years?     And which QBs did they play with????      The salary cap should go way up with the next CBA... sign Cooper now, it will look like a bargain in 2 years... just like Wentz will.  

And lets talk about Howie's deals.      Look at Cox ... you want to complain about a 22 mil cap hit now.    He signed a " $100 mil deal in 2016) ... way less than Suh, less than Darius... Grady Jarrett has same cap hits... JJ Watt, Kawann Short and Jurrell Casey are right there ...  which player would you want over Cox these last 4 years????      And the combined cap hits for Cox over these last 4 years ... $39.149 mil?     ...less than $10 mil cap hit per year for 4 years.     This is why I trust Howie to do a GREAT team friendly deal via any cap hits for Cooper, Byron Jones or anyone else we get.  I'm just looking at the talent level and if that guy is in his prime... money is not an issue.  

Get some good players in here... stop worrying about the other BS.  Any 26 year old multiple pro bowl player works at any position for me.  They don't grow on trees.  Player win, time to get them now!

Who, in their right mind would give up anything for Alshon? You honestly think Buffalo would send us a 6th rounder for him? lol I would be surprised if any team would take him if we offered our 6th round pick! He is a major liability and all GM's know it. That money is not going away. You cannot compare Cooper to Wentz. That is like Apples and oranges. Wentz did not disappear. Also he had no weapons to speak of. Cooper did disappear. Did nothing the last 3 weeks of the year. The last 3 weeks combined 19 targets, 9 receptions, 135 yards, 0 TDs. One of the receptions was for 48 yards. So, he made 1 play in three games at crunch time. The rest of the time he disappeared. This is the player I want to spend 95-98 million on? Really?

1 hour ago, stine said:

I agree. I would much rather go after Jones!

I can see a scenario where now that dullass has overpaid at several positions, they continue by over paying dak and amari, having to use the franchise tag on one of them, prolly dak. Jones will be behind those 2. Dem boyz have 77 mill cap space.

Speaking of which, was going over our cap and FA's as it's too early for me to join the draft convo before FA. There are several I'd like to resign - Curry, Big V amongst them, also pay Jenkins. Who do you guys want to resign?

7 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Sorry brother. Can't agree wit'cha on this. Hell NO on ArseClown. It's bad enough we have Barnett (who I was ALL in for draft) who takes late hits.  

Honestly that dirty hit on my QB ...HAS a BAD taste in my mouth...buuutttt. Hell that was a dirty hit on my QB.

NFL network showing this kid lots of love. They consider this kid a top ten prospect. SLEEPER, S, DB, PR. The kid thinks he is a 4.03 guy, tremendous versatility.

14 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

I can see a scenario where now that dullass has overpaid at several positions, they continue by over paying dak and amari, having to use the franchise tag on one of them, prolly dak. Jones will be behind those 2. Dem boyz have 77 mill cap space.

Speaking of which, was going over our cap and FA's as it's too early for me to join the draft convo before FA. There are several I'd like to resign - Curry, Big V amongst them, also pay Jenkins. Who do you guys want to resign?

We will most likely lose Big V. He is young enough and has shown signs he could start for someone. I doubt the Eagles pay him. We also lose Hill I think. Mills most likely resigns. Jenkins and Curry probably stay for a decnt contract. Not sure though.

8 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I really like your thought process when it comes to Jerruh and his Cow #itches my type of Eaglefanatic.

7 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah... here are 2 direct quotes from your previous posts .... basically saying you would trade next year's 2nd round draft pick   ....reason because this year there is a good chance these picks can " stick"    these picks where 7 of them are from 103 to 190 ...   "  7 KEEPERS"    ... " NO HESITATION"   to trade a valuable 2nd rounder because of the high chance that this year these later picks are going to " stick"   ... PER DIRECT QUOTES FROM YOUR POSTS

See I don't look at this as a " double draft" at all.   To me a " double draft"  would be having 14 picks... 2 of them in each round.   But we have only 1 first rounder and 1 2nd rounder.   ... the extra picks are in the form of comp picks... 103, 140 and 146 ... basically the equivalent of an early 4th and 2 early 5th round picks ...  and you moved up from pick 235 to 168 (from 7th to 5th round with the Bennett trade)     

For me... I'd rather have an extra 1st and 2nd rounder than the last 6 picks all 124 or later.  That's a closer version to a " double draft"    ... 6 picks with 2 in each of the first 3 rounds than 10 picks with 7 of them being after comp picks start.  

Well then we were TOTAL morons to go after Wentz.Such FOOLS we are.WE could have saved those picks!!!! And as you stated above round 4 picks are not worth anything.We could use 2 of those 4th's to move up for an additional 3,so we could have 1,2,3,3,3 which as I said is almost a double draft for us

6 hours ago, joemas6 said:

But you clearly said a good chance these guys will stick!  Much different in our level of confidence either way... i'm iffy and think say 2 or 3 of these 7 picks will be ok ... you are sure they will fill needs.   According to direct quotes from the posts.

Pick my guys and they will.I don't control the ones the FO gets and I don't control the "successful" ones we release,trade or let go

9 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

good chance these picks can " stick" 

Yeah lets not highlight this sentence,just hand pick what you want lol,See "GOOD CHANCE"(I mean if you took the guys we mock on HERE) We tend to keep guys we draft in/through round 4,so that's 7 picks that have a GOOD CHANCE to stick-got it?

7 hours ago, joemas6 said:

nah... NEVER SAID THIS ... 

You implied picks over 100 were basically a waste of time and I am disagreeing with that assessment

11 minutes ago, trini said:

I really like your thought process when it comes to Jerruh and his Cow #itches my type of Eaglefanatic.

The more I think about it, the more I feel Dallas Does NOT resign Cooper. Heck, the coaches had him on the bench at the end of games where they needed a score! IF the coaches did not have faith in him, why would Jerry resign him? When you look at "Clutch" Wr's I think of Adams, Hopkins and Thomas. Look at their numbers in crunch time....  Cooper is no where near these guys. Sure, he made the All Star team. Great!  I would much rather have a guy that will lay it on the line when we need him and Cooper is not that guy. Certainly not one I would invest 95-98 mil on.....