DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

What were the ages ... what were the QB situations.... and TO had plenty left in the tank... he played one full season here... its why he only had one great year... he did pretty well for Dallas for a while right?    LOL  But yeah .... good examples over a long period of time.    My argument is simple... Cooper is better than Alshon.   You swap them while getting more cap space and some value you can use.   Wentz would be his best QB ... Doug would be his best coach.   I understand your fear ... the Cowboys imploded at the end of the year ... you put blame on an injured Cooper who didn't have his QB under contract and his contract was up.   But he was awesome for then for 2 years including playoffs.   Injuries, leg injuries absolutely hurt WRs... bothj Cooper and Alshon had them.   You can bet teams would love to have either one.   Alshon's cap hit will be lower for another team... like less than half ... the value goes up because of that.  Cooper at his age... already proven for 5 years under 2 different systems, coaches, QBs.... unlike Rison in your example that went from one team to another ... before he did well in GB again.  

I just think your fear is way over the top.   Alshon already a #1 WR, Cooper is better.  Results are due to a lot of factors though.  Give me Cooper for 8 to 10 mil cap hit this year, 15 to 18 the next 2 years... then we can get out of it if necessary ... I do it in a heartbeat.   Again, we have plenty of space and it doesn't prevent me from doing any other moves.   That kis the big thing... it's not Cooper instead of a rookie or getting another position in Fa... it's Cooper instead of Alshon and still doing everything else we want.   No brainer. 

BTW- Pre 6/1 Trade for Alshon creates 16.196 Mil in dead cap for the Eagles... Not sure anyone would trade for him after June 1st as most rosters will be set.... Pre June 1st release is like 26 mil dead cap

Fletcher Cox ....   signed 6 year $102 mil contract ... at age 25 (where he turned 26 at the end of the 2016 season)  .... 4 years later... 4 pro bowls including a 1st team all pro.... total cap hit like $39.2 mil ...average less than $10 mil per year.   years 5 and 6 will total just over $45.2 mil of cap hit.   Add them together ... 6 year average is right over $14 mil per year.  But the thought process from most fans is that it was a $17 mil per yer deal.

Sure you redo it and add in year 7 for another $22.3 mil cap hit.... gets it to just under $107 mil for 7 years ... about $15.25 mil cap hit per year for 7 years instead of the idea of $17 mil cap hit for 6 years.   I think we redo the deal one more time to extend, the cap hit gets lower. Probably looking at like $115 cap hit for 8 years.  Do the math.

The idea isn't about if we can squeeze out the pennies..... don't be scared of a contract ... the idea is if the player is worth having on your roster, does he have a long term impact.... a couple mil more doesn't matter.  Anyone scared of Cooper or Jones or any other FA ... because you think the numbers should show 2 or $3mil lower per year... don't worry about it.   It will be a good deal at 22 mil per year if he plays well... and be a bad deal at 12 mil per year if he plays poorly.   The numbers can be manipulated... and Howie does it beautifully!    

I'm not looking for " value"  or a " bargain"    I'm looking for the best players!    WE won the SB with $30 mil of dead cap space in the 2017 season.... going forward that won't be a problem, just get the right players like we had in 2017.  Lots of guys in their prime!!!!

44 minutes ago, stine said:

BTW- Pre 6/1 Trade for Alshon creates 16.196 Mil in dead cap for the Eagles... Not sure anyone would trade for him after June 1st as most rosters will be set.... Pre June 1st release is like 26 mil dead cap

Stine... ok I see where you don't grasp the concept and why #s scare you?

If we trade Alshon pre June 1 ... that creates a cap hit of $16,196 mil       ... that is the amount that counts toward the cap  

If we keep him ... his cap hit is 15,446,500  .... that is the cap hit    

The difference is $749,500   

that is the cost to trade him... you don't combine a dead # plus an active number... you cut him, he has no active cap hit, just the dead money.

A team that would trade for him just gets the salary amount... nothing else    .. $9,910,000     So just under $10 mil... that's it.    That # is guaranteed, but nothing in 2021 is, so the new team would not be on the hook for anything ... neither would Alshon be guaranteed that amount.  That is incentive to negotiate that cap hit down if the team desires.   Very easily there is value to a team without weapons.  

I would want to trade him before the draft, so we could get return this year.    

Will someone PLEASE compose a list of the top 10 free agents the Eagles should be interested in signing and stick your neck out and pick 4 players out of the list the Eagles will sign. Thankyou!

48 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Will someone PLEASE compose a list of the top 10 free agents the Eagles should be interested in signing and stick your neck out and pick 4 players out of the list the Eagles will sign. Thankyou!

will we sign 4?     

FA's we need to look at resigning a few of our own - Curry, Jernigan, Sproles, Rodgers, Howard, Clement. Make Jenkins happy. Then there's the OT conundrum. JP may have lost a step but is still one of the best at LT. If we let him go and let Dillard take over, then we'd have to keep Vaitai, who could start for another team and I believe he's gone. JP wants to play, set up a contract where the team doesn't incur too much damage for a late cut. Would still want JP as DL coach. Would also pick up Barnett's 5th yr.

From outside I would like Anthony Harris, S, Vikings, Bradley Roby, CB, Texans, AJ Green, WR, Bungles, Robby Anderson, WR, Jets, any of these guys would be an automatic improvement

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

FA's we need to look at resigning a few of our own - Curry, Jernigan, Sproles, Rodgers, Howard, Clement.

I'd bring back Ridgeway over Jernigan I think. Ridgeway doesn't have as high a ceiling but I think he's more consistent and he's probably going to be cheaper. 

And Clement? I mean why? Guys done nothing since 2017 and can't stay healthy. 

Sproles by the way has retired and is now part of the FO.

Wow, looking at the free agents that counted toward the comp picks... the Eagles added ZERO last year.  This year should be much different! 

Free agent moves I would expect...  

Offense, probably WR if any, but I think we see a few moves on the defense. Probably a special team move or two as well.  So I think CB and LB for sure.  We might also see a surprise move on the DL. 

I think we may try to redo Barnett's deal ASAP for team friendly numbers.  Not sure he takes it though, so we probably do the 5th year option.  Mills or Big V will be back.  Peters, I think they let him go.  One of Howard or Clement should be back.  Curry is iffy depending on if they go get a FA. 

18 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Off this board,don't need the harrassment.GL this season Eagles

C'mon back GB. Don't let the "straight jackets" get to you.  You remember the straight jackets don't you? I have posted the definition of a straight jacket often enough. LOL

Should we take a flier on Tony Jefferson in FA....Was productive with the Ravens if it wasn’t for injury and his replacement stepping up likely would still be the starter(also didn’t help that they saved 7m from cutting him)....

Only 28 and with him coming off an ACL injury could be a cheap option still allow us to target I guy high in the draft or possibly move over Maddox if we wanted as well. Since we like use 3 safeties 

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd bring back Ridgeway over Jernigan I think. Ridgeway doesn't have as high a ceiling but I think he's more consistent and he's probably going to be cheaper. 

And Clement? I mean why? Guys done nothing since 2017 and can't stay healthy. 

Sproles by the way has retired and is now part of the FO.

Clement is a RFA I believe I’d bring him back to compete why not can’t hurt but I wouldn’t be banking on him would definitely look to keep adding to the group could use a nice power back to compliment Sanders/Scott.

I am not as far along with draft picks as I should be but when you assess this years draft the strong suit is receivers and offensive linemen. It would be a shame if we didn't come away with two GOOD ones in each position. 

On 2/13/2020 at 10:43 PM, trini said:

Don’t see us spending the money with Jackson and Cox big money...Jernnigan and Hassan Ridgeway both free agents, Jones just won a SB...I know he wants bank...Jones would make this unit an even more Dynamic DT crew for sure.

Clowney did my QB dirty .... but he can be Dirty for my Eagles as none of our young DE have shown much. I would be surprised if Seagals let him go . Hell yea on Clowney.

Several top DT as possible FA. I think many would freak out about so much at one position. But there are three guys that would come in straight as starters. Having three stud DT wouldn’t be a major issue for me. But many will point out that many DEs can rotate inside for passing downs. Ngakoue the DE from Jax would probably be a better signing. But he probably gets the biggest payday this year of any FA. Not sure we are that team to do that.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:05 AM, mjkline1958 said:

I can see a scenario where now that dullass has overpaid at several positions, they continue by over paying dak and amari, having to use the franchise tag on one of them, prolly dak. Jones will be behind those 2. Dem boyz have 77 mill cap space.

Speaking of which, was going over our cap and FA's as it's too early for me to join the draft convo before FA. There are several I'd like to resign - Curry, Big V amongst them, also pay Jenkins. Who do you guys want to resign?

Curry is possible...because he’s cheap and reliable. But he definitely doesn’t fit the bill of younger and faster. Big V I would like to resign but....not very likely. Odds are he’s shown enough to get a starting gig somewhere. I mean he was starting on a SB winning team at LT. McLeod and Jernigan are the two I have pegged. Maybe Mills. Good players for us that should be affordable. Gerry seems very likely as well. Not that great but gets raves about his smarts by the FO and coaching staff. Plus he also should be cheap.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:21 AM, trini said:

NFL network showing this kid lots of love. They consider this kid a top ten prospect. SLEEPER, S, DB, PR. The kid thinks he is a 4.03 guy, tremendous versatility.

This is the guy I’ve been talking about. Really like his potential. I think he’s moved into day two for sure.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:09 AM, mjkline1958 said:

Don't get me wrong, Id take Amari at the right price, still expensive but not breaking the team.

The dropping clowney off in Tinicum thing was he'd be pretty roughed up if he got out, it used to be a rough area I lived in for a short time.

I got you on this...pretty funny sh17!

33 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Several top DT as possible FA. I think many would freak out about so much at one position. But there are three guys that would come in straight as starters. Having three stud DT wouldn’t be a major issue for me. But many will point out that many DEs can rotate inside for passing downs. Ngakoue the DE from Jax would probably be a better signing. But he probably gets the biggest payday this year of any FA. Not sure we are that team to do that.

No issue with another Stud DT to me interior pressure is the most disruptive to a QB...

On 2/14/2020 at 12:28 PM, stine said:

Just wondering, Would you offer a 5 year deal to Byron Jones for 65 mil? that is 13 per year. May be a bit high as compared to others, but he is a solid player and steady as it comes. Also would eliminate one need in the draft. I also like Either Martinez (GB) or Kwiatkoski (Chi) as possible FA's at LB. Thinking we may be able to get the latter for less cash. Maybe $5 mil per year? So you would take care of two positions and give yourself a little freedom in the draft.

I’m thinking that would be a good deal for Jones. Several LB in FA I’ve been seeing. And several S. Pretty sure we sign a S. Some really top notch options...or at least resign McLeod. Draft a S and sign one...is what I’m thinking. We play three plenty at one time anyway.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:29 PM, GreenbleedinFL said:

SOOO,since CB is not my gig,can you guys scout 2 players and LMK what/who you;d choose between Diggs(Bama) and Henderson(FL)? Others are better at this than I am

I’m high on Diggs. Henderson seems to be universally favored. Injury situation being a big factor with the top CBs. I figure you can’t go but so wrong with the LSU CB Fulton. He had a rough game at the end but locked down most of his days in college. Plus it’s DB U there at LSU...the league is full of them.

6 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m thinking that would be a good deal for Jones. Several LB in FA I’ve been seeing. And several S. Pretty sure we sign a S. Some really top notch options...or at least resign McLeod. Draft a S and sign one...is what I’m thinking. We play three plenty at one time anyway.

Mentioned Tony Jefferson as a possible option as a FA S to look at 

On 2/14/2020 at 1:31 PM, joemas6 said:

YES in a heartbeat..... Howie can't save the money to put into his 401k.... so you use it on good players.    and its' not going to be $13 mil per year.... that has been my point with these long term contracts that seems to be going over people's heads.   You don;t just take a contract and divide it by the years it's not that simple.     How else do you explain Cox Signing a 6 year $102 mil deal.... and the first 4 years only counted for $39 mil of cap hits?   Years 5 and 6 are going to count for about $45 mil more.... 6 years ... 84 mil of cap hits on a 6 year $102 mil deal.

That's why yes to the free agents that we know are good players and are in their prime.  The real numbers will be much less of an impact on the cap than most think. 

Plus with the new CBA coming, any FA deal done now will be a bargain soon enough.   This is the year to strike in FA.  

Good year to strike in FA, agree. I’m not all about Cooper. Was it him being injured? Or unreliable in the clutch? Is why he was sitting on the bench in the clutch. He was playing otherwise. So even injured he should be out there as a decoy I’d think. Arik Armstead(or other top DT), Byron Jones, one of the several LB and one of the several S. I’m more leaning this way. I can get a real nice S AND LB for Cooper money.

On 2/14/2020 at 1:39 PM, stine said:

I understand that he won't make 13 mil a year Joe. I was just throwing out the average.... We are good on Howies contract magic

Oh...his average will be much more than that. But No Mas loves the backloaded contract concept of pay him in 2024 for today’s play.