DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

I’m focused on wanting to take Cesar Ruiz in round three. Getting a quality C that can learn a season under Kelce would be perfect timing. The way it should be done. Let Ruiz redshirt and learn from one of the best professionals. In case of emergency we have a legit option. 
  Day three I want to take Damien Lewis. The LSU G is 329 lbs 6’ 2”. He’s known as immovable. Not the most mobile. But this is one review of his talents —- "Takes up space as blocker, good lateral techniques, very good at keeping balance, hard to move, leverage is his game, super powerful at point of attack, great effort player, strong as they come”

For me that’s a perfect get on day three for us at G.

Bredeson...Ruiz teammate at Michigan is another G option. Having two players playing side by side in college you’d think would have benefits. Bredeson isn’t a great athlete but he’s strong and anchors well in pass pro. Demolishes in run blocking. His weakness would be connecting on the second level blocking. Also day three.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m focused on wanting to take Cesar Ruiz in round three. Getting a quality C that can learn a season under Kelce would be perfect timing. The way it should be done. Let Ruiz redshirt and learn from one of the best professionals. In case of emergency we have a legit option. 
  Day three I want to take Damien Lewis. The LSU G is 329 lbs 6’ 2”. He’s known as immovable. Not the most mobile. But this is one review of his talents —- "Takes up space as blocker, good lateral techniques, very good at keeping balance, hard to move, leverage is his game, super powerful at point of attack, great effort player, strong as they come”

For me that’s a perfect get on day three for us at G.

Can't find anything on Lewis' grade point average at LSU but prior to him attending LSU he attended  Northwest Mississippi Community College where he graduated in 18 months and was on the schools deans list. He was named to the 2016/ 17 all academic team. I always check GPA with offensive linemen because I want them to be the smartest players on the field. I also like a mean streak in them. Can't find that yet on this guy. He is rated between rounds 4 thru 6 so far. Its a no brainer in rounds 5 or 6 but I'm not sure yet about round 4. I would feel a little better taking him in round 4 if I read that he plays mean.The only problem he had all year was the game against Auburn and DT Derrick Brown but Brown is going to give a lot of guys problems at the next level. All in all a pretty good find. Now what are the Eagles looking for?

3 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Can't find anything on Lewis' grade point average at LSU but prior to him attending LSU he attended  Northwest Mississippi Community College where he graduated in 18 months and was on the schools deans list. He was named to the 2016/ 17 all academic team. I always check GPA with offensive linemen because I want them to be the smartest players on the field. I also like a mean streak in them. Can't find that yet on this guy. He is rated between rounds 4 thru 6 so far. Its a no brainer in rounds 5 or 6 but I'm not sure yet about round 4. I would feel a little better taking him in round 4 if I read that he plays mean.The only problem he had all year was the game against Auburn and DT Derrick Brown but Brown is going to give a lot of guys problems at the next level. All in all a pretty good find. Now what are the Eagles looking for?

You know...him and Brown battled. He lost some but he also held his own a fair amount.

The trade up for Ruggscrowd got me thinking: my  thought is Denver wants him at 15. So we’d have to trade up to 14. But that is very complicated. Because TB is at 14. Most think they will trade up for a QB. So we’d be dealing with a team at 14 that already traded back...probably fairly substantially. Getting a team that was at 9 that traded back to 14....to then trade back to 21....that is very tricky. Fans of that team wouldn’t likely be happy about a double trade back. Trading up for Ruggs is looking nearly impossible. For any reasonable price at least.

46 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Getting a team that was at 9 that traded back to 14....to then trade back to 21....that is very tricky. Fans of that team wouldn’t likely be happy about a double trade back.

I guess it depends though? On which team trades back? Because if it's a team that are looking to rebuild then think of the draft capital they can require by trading back and then back again. 

The trade up for Ruggscrowd got me thinking: my  thought is Denver wants him at 15. So we’d have to trade up to 14. But that is very complicated. Because TB is at 14. Most think they will trade up for a QB. So we’d be dealing with a team at 14 that already traded back...probably fairly substantially. Getting a team that was at 9 that traded back to 14....to then trade back to 21....that is very tricky. Fans of that team wouldn’t likely be happy about a double trade back. Trading up for Ruggs is looking nearly impossible. For any reasonable price at least.

I disagree that TB trades up for a rookie QB just not an Arians type of move he isn’t the fondest of rookie QBs....Plus completely expect TB to go after a Vet QB in FAs or resign Winston believe either of those options are more likely then them trading up for a QB 

That also if Denver even wants Ruggs and who else is on the clock at WR while Denver is selecting if say Lamb and Ruggs are on the board at 15 why do we have to move up to 14 to beat them cam move up to say 16 and take either or which ever Denver doesn’t take.... 

5 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

That also if Denver even wants Ruggs and who else is on the clock at WR while Denver is selecting if say Lamb and Ruggs are on the board at 15 why do we have to move up to 14 to beat them cam move up to say 16 and take either or which ever Denver doesn’t take.... 

I guess it comes down to what happens on the day right? Maybe Lamb is still there and so Denver takes Lamb and then perhaps we can move up to 16 instead. But if Lamb isn't there and we really want to address WR in the first and Ruggs is on our board then we might have to move up.

Been seeing a ton of mocks having us select LSU S Delpit depending how the draft plays out he could be a tough guy to pass on at 21 especially if the big trio of WRs are gone 

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Been seeing a ton of mocks having us select LSU S Delpit depending how the draft plays out he could be a tough guy to pass on at 21 especially if the big trio of WRs are gone 

Can’t pass on him IMO. Be very happy to see him still on the board.

If we keep Jenkins. Sign a very quality vet and get Delpit....that would be game changing for our secondary.

I’d strongly consider moving Maddox to S take over that McLeod role...Thought that was easily his best spot over the last two years...Plus the return of Leblanc to man the slot and hopefully a key addition at CB in FA(also believing we sign Mills back)... Should want to find ways to get them all on the field together...

Add in a vet S or a guy like Delpit and we would have a strong trio at S and hopefully the key FA CB, Mills, Leblanc can stabilize the CB spot 

19 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I’d strongly consider moving Maddox to S take over that McLeod role...Thought that was easily his best spot over the last two years...Plus the return of Leblanc to man the slot and hopefully a key addition at CB in FA(also believing we sign Mills back)... Should want to find ways to get them all on the field together...

I'm with you on Maddox absolutely. He's not an outside corner and we have LeBlanc in the slot... But the concerns at Safety long term relate to his lack of size. 

41 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm with you on Maddox absolutely. He's not an outside corner and we have LeBlanc in the slot... But the concerns at Safety long term relate to his lack of size. 

Not as concerned with Maddox size at S if we primarily used him as that deep center field type....

Could also if we got another good S use Maddox as that 3rd S as well like if we got Delpit(or another FA) have him and Jenkins as the base D guys then when we went to the 3 S sets we use quite a bit Maddox becomes that guy 

Just now, BleedingGreen93 said:

Not as concerned with Maddox size at S if we primarily used him as that deep center field type....

He's still under sized there though. I mean Rodney isn't big and he's smaller than Rodney.

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Add in a vet S or a guy like Delpit and we would have a strong trio at S and hopefully the key FA CB, Mills, Leblanc can stabilize the CB spot 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I’ve thought the same with Maddox. He’s a FS. He has the versatility to also man the slot. LeBlanc I’m fairly confident in manning the Nickle role. But occasionally you go Dime where you could use that S to take a slot WR....or a four WR set. 
  S just seems the very available option to get in FA AND the draft. So it looks like we should sign one of these very talented available vets. But also I’m really liking the depth at the position in the draft. A good spot to HIT in the draft. 
  So I’d be fine with getting a very quality vet and drafting one at the position fairly high. Maddox could be a backup/utility player. If he became fourth S/backup Slot CB/ backup outside CB....I’d be ok with that also.

And then that gets me to the whole train of thought about how I’d consider trading Jenkins. Really seems like the wise move. Get something for him while he’s still worth something. And I don’t want to pay him or extend him much more.

Get me a pick and cap relief by trading Jenkins. Then bring in the younger Simmons, Harris(several FA options).... move Maddox and draft a guy. 

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’ve thought the same with Maddox. He’s a FS. He has the versatility to also man the slot. LeBlanc I’m fairly confident in manning the Nickle role. But occasionally you go Dime where you could use that S to take a slot WR....or a four WR set. 

It is going to take awhile to try and figure out how the Eagles have these guys rated going forward. They will tip their hand somewhat after free agency  and we might be able to put the pieces together with the secondary and the backups going into the draft. Personally, I believe Sidney Jones played his best football manning the nickle role because he  played mostly man to man there . Obviously the Eagles didn't draft him in the second round to man the nickle roll but they didn't draft Agholor in the first round to play the slot receiver either. Could be Jones gets another shot at outside corner however I am looking for the Eagles to get two outside corners between free agency and the draft. If so Jones would be the first one off the bench on the outside roll or maybe there will be a contest between LeBlanc and Jones for the Nickle roll. Not ready yet to venture a guess on Douglas or Mills. I find it hard to believe that Darby will be back but you never know about Schwartz and his decisions.

Wrangler, it just depends on the market. Schwartz is stubborn as he77! If Darby doesn’t find a market he’ll try and get him back. Mills the same. Jones is in that prove it spot. Gotta earn the role and prove durability. I feel like he’s been given plenty of opportunity. I don’t feel bad for him. So many guys are just looking for a shot. Douglas they almost were forced to play out of desperation. He had a few quality moments. But he also got smoked a fair amount. Schwartz just isn’t the best judge of talent. Very quality DC...but personnel just isn’t his area. And he’s stubborn about playing favorites. We’ve seen it play out at corner plenty(go back before any of these guys previously mentioned were even here). We saw it play out with Long at DE. Clearly think Schwartz was the sole problem with bringing back Long. He played at a very high level the year before. Made zero sense not to bring him back. Especially right after the season began with the injuries. But we draft Miller to hold on the 53 instead of Long? How freaking stupid was that? I’ll tell you...moronic!

The thing with Jones is we could have him under contract for an extra season if we claim a medical year his first season. So it’d be nice if he worked out. ESPN(I think it was) suggested we trade Jones and a pick for Slay from Detroit. Since Slay is in his final year of his contract. And Detroit always trades away their good players. I wouldn’t have a problem with this trade. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Jones was successful there. But I’m not sure he can be successful here. I wasn’t ever grading him as high as many in his draft anyway. Bringing in Slay...getting to see him in this system...then resigning him to a big contract works for me. Win/win. Let’s do it!

Was just reading that Teddy Bridgewater could be looking at signing for thirty million per season. Can’t help but laugh at what that does to the Cowboys and their Prescott situation.