DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

46 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Anyone miss GBFL on here as much as I do?

GB finally got tired of a couple straight jackets on the board and decided to take a time out. Without mentioning any names there are couple people on the board that give the impression that it belongs to them. LOL  Some folks have to have the last word on any topic no matter what. They can't accept another persons opinion without correcting them with their own. They keep nagging you until they get the last word. I think everyone knows who those individuals are by now. It really doesn't matter really. Most of us stay on the board because we get enjoyment out of it. When the enjoyment goes away so do the comments for awhile.

25 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

GB finally got tired of a couple straight jackets on the board and decided to take a time out. Without mentioning any names there are couple people on the board that give the impression that it belongs to them. LOL  Some folks have to have the last word on any topic no matter what. They can't accept another persons opinion without correcting them with their own. They keep nagging you until they get the last word. I think everyone knows who those individuals are by now. It really doesn't matter really. Most of us stay on the board because we get enjoyment out of it. When the enjoyment goes away so do the comments for awhile.

I have a group of friends I met here about 15 years ago. We all email each other now, but most never come on here anymore. Ham has since joined our group and I think he enjoys the group. We disagree some, but we respect the others opinions for the most part. Not sure if any of you would remember them anyway to be honest. Brizer would as would others from the Eye. That was the old times. Those in my group left the EMB for the same reasons you are talking about Wrang....

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

What happened to him??? I mean usually I piss him off but it wasn’t me this time...We always have little spats though so yea miss that guy...Noboday for me to argue with lol 

He loves going back and forth with you like a brother. Thanks for your reply! 👍

40 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Yeah Wrang, you and BG summed it pretty well. Thank you for your reply! 👍

18 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Reports and rumors keep saying we might trade for Darius Slay....One said we could trade Sidney Jones and a 3rd for him.

One issue one might have with slay though he is 29(won’t turn 30 until January 1st so playoff time) but will bring looking to get paid. How much would we want to really invest in a 29 year old CB???? 

Yes I’ve wanted to trade for Slay the past two seasons. But now I’m starting to get cold feet. You could make a case his play has been declining. You could also provide outside reasons for his job becoming more difficult. Jones makes more sense to me...but twenty other teams probably think so also.

So what do the Eagles do with JP this year I mean he is a FA I know but he doesn’t seem to want to retire yet....

Think we should consider bringing him back if he is willing to take A. A hefty price cut from what he is used to and B. Willing to take on a backup role.

8 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Yes I’ve wanted to trade for Slay the past two seasons. But now I’m starting to get cold feet. You could make a case his play has been declining. You could also provide outside reasons for his job becoming more difficult. Jones makes more sense to me...but twenty other teams probably think so also.

With Diggs rumors coming out I would be way more in favor of trying to land him....

Depending how badly they want to dump Diggs wonder if we could swing something like Alshon and a 2nd for Diggs....

2nd rounder might seem like a steep price but it’s also partially so they will take on Alshon. Could be a real win-win scenario for us A. Get an elite WR only 26 and B. Get Alshon off the team 

Another option could be offering Sidney and maybe a 3rd....Vikings might be looking for some new DB help might think they can tap into Jones potential plus land an extra pick.

welp. I am off!!  New Orleans should be allot of fun. Never been there before and staying right next to MArket street.... See you when/if I get back....

I’ve felt we’ve kept Peters several years too long. But he did come through and play solid last season. V is all but gone in FA. Somebody will make him a starter. So we need a backup T. Can’t rely on Mailata alone. So I’m actually flipping and thinking to try and keep Peters one more season. Johnson, Dillard, Peters and Mailata is a good way to go at the position. Good balance of ages and experience. The only issue I have is it’s hard to put Peters on the bench. But I can’t justify stunting Dillard’s growth. He needs to start and play. If we don’t keep Peters then we have to bring in a backup vet. Peters provides great leadership and coaching for Dillard. That’s one of the main reasons I want him back. He knows all these pass rushers playbook. And he obviously knows how to prepare during the week.

Yes Stine has an email thread going. And there, here or anywhere I think it’s important for everybody to voice their opinions. We’re all educated and knowledgeable Eagles fans. Doesn’t mean we have to agree. Sometimes people need a little thicker skin...and sometimes people need to harass less. I believe in disagreeing but trying to be respectful about it. I value differing opinions. But I’m also very opinionated. So sometimes I might come off as a D...don’t mean anything by it. Just giving my two cents.

43 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Diggs would be a good trade idea. He’s going to want big money...but he’s probably worth it. Love his speed and agility.

He is already under contract I believe for like the next 4 years 

I know everybody wants a WR...and I’ve talked about trading back. But it’s starting to look like LB Murray might be available at 21. I just can’t see passing on him. I know we don’t ever invest in the position. But now could be a perfect time to change that. Not just drafting a stud but also signing a FA. I’m really more focused on defense this offseason. I want to sign a very quality S and draft a guy like Duggar third rounder?) can’t not think about signing Ngakoue from Jax. Stud pass rusher in his prime you have to take a swing at. The DT are lined up in FA. How many get tagged or signed? And I want to sign Jones at CB. Obviously can’t do all of these. But boy our defense would be nasty if we could get close.

35 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’ve felt we’ve kept Peters several years too long. But he did come through and play solid last season. V is all but gone in FA. Somebody will make him a starter. So we need a backup T. Can’t rely on Mailata alone. So I’m actually flipping and thinking to try and keep Peters one more season. Johnson, Dillard, Peters and Mailata is a good way to go at the position. Good balance of ages and experience. The only issue I have is it’s hard to put Peters on the bench. But I can’t justify stunting Dillard’s growth. He needs to start and play. If we don’t keep Peters then we have to bring in a backup vet. Peters provides great leadership and coaching for Dillard. That’s one of the main reasons I want him back. He knows all these pass rushers playbook. And he obviously knows how to prepare during the week.

Why I stated as a backup role for JP for the excavation reasons you stated...not sure JP would take that role though 

43 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Johnson, Dillard, Peters and Mailata is a good way to go at the position.

Still one possible issue with those 4....Would still possibly be reliant on Mailata if anything happened to Lane....Don’t believe Dillard is a swing T he is a LT that it(though think he should be the starter next year). Same concern with JP if we retained him and he took on a backup role not sure he can play RT either...

One real possibility though we don’t like moving multiple pieces on the OL has to be Semaulo thought still thought RT was arguably his best spot 

3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

LOL I can see that you probably believed that I was talking about you meaning YOU but I wasn't . I meant you in a plural form as what would make anyone believe Douglas could stick with a fast receiver? Especially Schwartz.

Got you. I mean yeah it's a puzzling issue within Schwartz defense that he doesn't protect his corners. He puts them on an island despite everyone knowing their failings.

18 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

All three of these CB's had pretty good write ups and rankings by the people who should know something about CB talent.  None of these guys were rated as slouches yet they have not performed well for the Eagles.  Jones and Mills have always been Eagles but Darby did play well for a time with the Bills before coming here. At least a lot better than he is playing for the Eagles. Now my question,  Were all the scouts wrong on these three guys or did the coaching staff mess them up? The only way you will know for sure is if they play better for another team than they have played for the Eagles. Time to find out don't you think? 

Fair.. I will add this though.

Mills.... steal for where we drafted him .... one of 2 Eagles to start at CB for a SB winner

Darby ... injured as an Eagle... every year.  (while I couldn't wait to get him off the field early, he played pretty well when he came back in Buffalo and a few games after that... until I couldn't wait to get him off the field again...lol   But I do think injuries were a big factor)

Jones ... injuries for sure a factor there.   

I get the idea of " developing individual players"   Thats great, it absolutely has it's place.   But for me, I look at the team picture.   The coach needs to be 100% focused on getting the best total results from the group as a whole ... not individually.   I can't cater to individual people and sacrifice the good of the team.   

And here is my defense of Schwartz (which I have different issues with him at times than most)    But lets look at the idea.... we need to move Barnett around so " HE"  can get better stats and make the game easier for " HIM"  ... that's great, how does it effect the team?     Now let's flip it to Mills.  Mills would be best suited not covering the other team's best WR.  But how would that have worked for the Eagles?      Schwartz did not cater to either of these 2 guys.  But i'm good with that, because I look at the pass rush as a whole, not just what Barnett does.  I also look at the coverage as a whole, not just Mills.   And in both cases, I think Schwartz was correct.  The pass rush was great in 2017, not catering to Barnett.   The coverage was not great, but allowing Mills to have the more difficult assignment in a lot of the cases, it allowed better match ups for everyone else.  

You can flip it to the value of Alshon ... in simply looking at the SB.  Once Gilmore covered him, his production pretty much dwindled to nothing.... yet look how it helped everyone else in the offense with better match ups?    To me that is the chess match of sports.   With my Eagles at the current time, I'm in win now mode... the young players need to adapt.  I'm not sacrificing the good of the team at the moment to develop any young player.   That was what years like 2016 were for.  When you know your team isn't going anywhere.  

So while I won't debate that the Eagles couldn't do a better job with any one specific player.... Jones, Barnett, JJAW.. whoever else you want to throw in there... I'm focused on the good of the overall group in the moment.  And that is what the coaches should be doing.  The players need to adapt... similar to what Miles Sanders, Boston Scott and Big V had to do.  And I would throw Mills in there too.   Regardless of coaching (which I hope improves) at least 51% minimum is on Barnett, JJAW and Sydney Jones now... they are vets, step it up.  

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Mills.... steal for where we drafted him

Can't argue with that buddy. For where we drafted him he has been a steal. 

8 hours ago, stine said:

Well, One thing we all agree on is no one knows what the Eagles will do. They always seem to surprise us with something each year. A LB seems to be in the mix now that they released Bradham.....  Maybe a WR and a CB or a DL or even a OL.... I would think they would try and make an effort to minimize the needs so they are more free to draft whomever is the best player when they pick... Knowing that WR is so deep, I would think they only sign 1 there but that is a guess like everything else I said lol

Stine, I always thought LB was in the mix.    This is what I've been trying to say here.    You flip a veteran player for a younger one at the same position.    I view Bradham as being on the books .... you take him off by half, use that cap space to find a younger replacement going forward... a guy you use a signing bonus to put a long term contract in place.  And when you look at the cap.... the dead money from Bradham plus the 1st year cap hit for the new FA LB should match whatever you were going to have if you kept Bradham.   I'm viewing Alshon as on the books for 2021. Big cap hit of $18.5 mil    ... that's what I am talking about in flipping the guy who would be 31 years old vs the guy who is 4 years younger (Cooper) for the same cap hit.  

I'm ok spending the money ... i'm ok with dead cap space.  winning a SB with $30 mil of dead cap space should have proven that its ok ... the key thing will always be having the good players in place... on your roster and healthy and on the field.   Their salary isn't an issue if they are legit.   Salary becomes an issue if the player isn't good.   To me, I'll look to get an unproved cheap guy to replace a mid level salary... of what I think to be mid level player.   Like Give me Ward over a $12 -14 mil Robbie Anderson    But replacing the expensive stud with mid level player/ salary ... ie.   Cooper with Robbie Anderson ... I don't like it.   The talent and production drop off ... the amount the opposition needs to game plan ... basically the overall impact.  I don't think is worth saving the $$.    I'd rather the guarantee stud that makes everyone else's job easier.    Give me the stud LB for Bradham ... give me the stud LB for Alshon ... If we go pass rush in FA... give me a stud there.   CB, I'll take the best guy and pay him, instead of saving 3 mil on a lesser guy.    I'll save my $3 mil some place else, because I won't need to spend as much on the mid level guys.   

And i'll flip it do Dallas.... I don't care what Dak makes.... its not going to hurt them cap wise.  What will hurt them cap wise IMO ... is that I don't think he is good enough to where they won't need to keep looking to improve everywhere else.  I want him there long term... could care less about the money.    But for now, I would love for them to have to tag him.  Just opens up so many cans of worms for them ... including allowing Cooper to hit the open market.   

3 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

So what do the Eagles do with JP this year I mean he is a FA I know but he doesn’t seem to want to retire yet....

Think we should consider bringing him back if he is willing to take A. A hefty price cut from what he is used to and B. Willing to take on a backup role.

IDK... I just hope he retires.    Gotta move on to the kid you spent all that draft ammo on IMO.   

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Why I stated as a backup role for JP for the excavation reasons you stated...not sure JP would take that role though 

He might as a player/coach

36 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

IDK... I just hope he retires.    Gotta move on to the kid you spent all that draft ammo on IMO.   

Why I stated in a backup capacity I completely agree that we need to move on to Dillard. Not saying JP would go for that likely wouldn’t but never hurt to try as of last I heard he has no plans on retiring 

Either way no JP and likely no Big V leaves a massive hole in that backup T role....Having a good backup swing tackle is important seen it in 17 saved us a few times this past season as well...