DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

I would take more input from Doug and the coaches on moves made in season.... August and beyond

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

I would take more input from Doug and the coaches on moves made in season.... August and beyond

But the key moves are the start of FA and the draft? You want to make sure the guys you are bringing in are a fit.

Ham asks a good question 

How do you move up to early to mid  2nd round, without giving up your later 2nd round nor your 3rd round pick?  The last pick of round 3, plus a 4th and a 5th... and next years 2nd which in theory should be in the 50s... that's tough.

GBFL says no team will let us have all those top picks... it only takes one AFC team to make that trade that really doesn't care about our draft.  If that team would prefer multiple picks even though in theory not as good.  It could happen.   

Where I would agree with GBFL, ( which Ham didn't really say either way) is that I would look to pull the trigger on that deal once we get to the moment of the next pick... so we know who the player is that we want.  I'm not a fan of moving up without knowing that. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But the key moves are the start of FA and the draft? You want to make sure the guys you are bringing in are a fit.

Right... Doug and coaches should have less input there IMO.   But in season as you suggest signing a guy off the street or making a trade...etc.  that player needs to be thrown into the fire.. so I think smarter to give more weight to the coaches then.  You know the cap, it becomes about winning the immediate games at that point.  

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Right... Doug and coaches should have less input there IMO.   But in season as you suggest signing a guy off the street or making a trade...etc.  that player needs to be thrown into the fire.. so I think smarter to give more weight to the coaches then.  You know the cap, it becomes about winning the immediate games at that point.  

I mean yes and no. Surely you want to make the right hires all the time? So bringing in FAs and draft picks they need to be a fit.

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

I recall you looking at the draft and that there wasn't a RB drafted after Sanders for a while... and saying we reached for him.    

The rest ... yes you were negative on ASAP, especially the last 2.  

Sanders was my guy though. Thought we could get him with the JJ pick, yes

On 2/24/2020 at 4:44 PM, joemas6 said:

Why would Tenn lose Conklin?   He isn't going to get $50 mil per year, so what is the difference between Seattle and the Giants having a little more cap space.. it doesn't automatically mean they will overpay proportionally.  He may leave for sure, but is it a given due to simply other teams having more cap space?  The Patriots have $41 mil, maybe they make an offer?   Who knows?

Simple Joe. Tennessee wants Phillip Rivers service but so do the Panthers. Which team will offer up enough cash out of their cap space to sign him? The Giants and Seahawks already have their QB's in place. Tennessee doesn't! I think the Patriots need a QB as well. Lets see where Conklin ends up.

12 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Doug says yes want JP back....What if Stout says we should go with Dillard???? Do we still listen to Doug???

What happens if the rest of the personnel department says we should go a different direction???? 

I don’t think it should be decided solely on Doug saying he wants a guy whether or not we should sign or keep someone.

I do believe a deal gets done with JP since he wants to return and it will likely be as the starter.....personally speaking believe we should turn the reigns over to Dillard and if we bring JP back should be as a backup

Last time I will try this.(in management for decades). I get hired as a store manager by a district manager. I hire people to work for me. If I don't trust the people I hired under me,I fire them and hire someone else.If my boss doesn't trust who I hire,he needs to replace me-got it? A little different in biz because you don't have "contracts" per se. I tell my DM,that my fav employee wants to leave and I suggest we give them a small raise to keep them. My DM says-"no raises". I go to the VP and explain my case,and that the DM disagrees with me. Now who makes the decision of how to handle this issue? The VP can agree with me and overide the DM(who now will be very difficult to work with since I went over his head).Now the DM no longer trusts me.Maybe he fires me,maybe the VP fires the DM.Point is discord as been created in the chain of command.All this over 1 employee I wanted to retain.Does this sound like a good idea? Isn't it better for the DM to say "we'll work it out" or for me to find some other way to retain them(or both?) Plug in Ped(I am Ped),Howie and Lurie into the above scenario. Now the other- JP would play as a BU for HUGE money? Are you mad? We have Dillard on a rook salary.If I'm paying JP,you best bet he's playing.AND Dillard can SEE,in person and up close,that if he gets JP's spot,he is pretty much guaranteed to be kept and keep those nice checks coming in for maybe his entire career.Is that guarantee worth waiting another year? Doesn't really matter at this point,Dillard is under contract,he'll just have to wait his turn.Maybe Dillard is 85% on the way to replacing him.I'n not risking my franchise QB for 85% play.I want 100%,possibly thats where we are at. if my coach wants a guy,I have to trust him(see above).if I can't trust him to make those calls on players we ALREADY HAVE,then I need a new coach.Jerruh apparently no longer trusted Garrett and he's gone. SOOOO,it's all a matter of trust at every level.Ped has to trust his staffers,Howie has to trust Ped,Lurie has to trust them both and WE,WE have to trust the process

8 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Doug says he wants a guy... Howie takes that under advisement.   Conversation happens, why do you want him back... mostly it has to be about Dillard not being ready.  If it's just for insurance or the locker room...etc.   Then a discussion with Peters about salary and playing time etc.   Howie then looks at the rest of the OL, the OL je could bring in FA, OL in the draft... and the overall direction of the roster ( maybe trying to go youth)  then a decision is made.    Howie makes that decision based on all the information.

YES!!

8 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Ham asks a good question 

How do you move up to early to mid  2nd round, without giving up your later 2nd round nor your 3rd round pick?  The last pick of round 3, plus a 4th and a 5th... and next years 2nd which in theory should be in the 50s... that's tough.

GBFL says no team will let us have all those top picks... it only takes one AFC team to make that trade that really doesn't care about our draft.  If that team would prefer multiple picks even though in theory not as good.  It could happen.   

Where I would agree with GBFL, ( which Ham didn't really say either way) is that I would look to pull the trigger on that deal once we get to the moment of the next pick... so we know who the player is that we want.  I'm not a fan of moving up without knowing that. 

Yeah thats what I was basically asking WHO? Just to say you want to move up doesn't mean diddly. If Ham is dead set on the 40 pick,maybe we move up from 53 and give up ALOT less??? Just a thought.21 and 40 would give you 2 really sweet players.Now you can parlay some of your other picks to move up from 103(you're not getting to 85,but maybe you can get close)

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Hahahahahaha funny we are having these talks on JP and Dillard And now on B/R they have an article about the exact same thing 

That's because we are psychotic.......I mean psychic(or both).or maybe they track this board for kicks and laughs lol

You literally just agreed that Howie makes the decision 

Depends how much Ped wants to push it.he could go to Lurie.At that point it's Luries call or he can tell Howie "do what you want".That is still a decision.At that point then yes it would be on Howie,but you are creating discord on your team who can see the FO doesn't trust Ped's decision making.You really wanna go there?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102818/article/nine-instant-impact-receivers-who-wont-cost-a-firstround-pick?itm_source=parsely-api?icampaign=trendingNews     First 2 are floating around on my mock lol,like Reagor also.Still feel Aiyuk goes in 1.Toss up for me-Gandy-Golden or Gabriel Davis

what sows discord to me is when Pedey and Duce beg to have Sproles back and he can’t contribute for years. Makes everybody look bad. Not sure why you(FL) feel like Peters at 38 is the best option to protect your Franchise QB. I’d probably lean towards the opposite. But if Peters will take a backup roll and keep coaching the kids up...I’d consider bringing him back at a much discounted rate. Probably even have the talk with him about becoming Stout’s assistant after this season. Let him know he’s auditioning for a coaching job.

11 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102818/article/nine-instant-impact-receivers-who-wont-cost-a-firstround-pick?itm_source=parsely-api?icampaign=trendingNews     First 2 are floating around on my mock lol,like Reagor also.Still feel Aiyuk goes in 1.Toss up for me-Gandy-Golden or Gabriel Davis

Will Aiyuk or Reagor be there at 40?

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Depends how much Ped wants to push it.he could go to Lurie.At that point it's Luries call or he can tell Howie "do what you want".That is still a decision.At that point then yes it would be on Howie,but you are creating discord on your team who can see the FO doesn't trust Ped's decision making.You really wanna go there?

But you want to go the right of distrusting the entire personnel department????? What makes more sense for Howie to do...Listening to 1 guy his coach or the personnel department????

They are going to talk all this out they will talk about JP and if the majority feel like it’s in the best interest for the team to move on from JP then Howie should make the call to move on from JP....If the majority feel it’s in the best interest for JP to return he should make the move to get him back.

If Doug is running to Lurie who he somehow gets to override Howie then we might as well just fire Howie and everyone else in the FO because you literally just undermined all of them for 1 person(Doug’s) sake.

Final decision as I have said all along on the 90 man roster should be Howie’s....Based on the information that he is given from all the coaches, scouts, personnel department etc. 

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Will Aiyuk or Reagor be there at 40?

I’m not aiming to trade back round 1 if this draft is as deep and talented as every keeps saying to me that means my top guy on my board is likely going to be in striking range or even possibly fall in my lap at 21.

7 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

But you want to go the right of distrusting the entire personnel department????? What makes more sense for Howie to do...Listening to 1 guy his coach or the personnel department????

They are going to talk all this out they will talk about JP and if the majority feel like it’s in the best interest for the team to move on from JP then Howie should make the call to move on from JP....If the majority feel it’s in the best interest for JP to return he should make the move to get him back.

If Doug is running to Lurie who he somehow gets to override Howie then we might as well just fire Howie and everyone else in the FO because you literally just undermined all of them for 1 person(Doug’s) sake.

Final decision as I have said all along on the 90 man roster should be Howie’s....Based on the information that he is given from all the coaches, scouts, personnel department etc. 

Howie signs players based on the teams need. Pederson advises what the team needs. Pederson makes all of the final cuts, not Howie. Head coach always makes the final cuts.... Why would Howie make those decisions?

1 minute ago, stine said:

Howie signs players based on the teams need. Pederson advises what the team needs. Pederson makes all of the final cuts, not Howie. Head coach always makes the final cuts.... Why would Howie make those decisions?

So again like i said Howie fills in the 90 man roster and Doug cuts down to the 53....JP isn’t a cut he is a decision to resign at this stageb

So again like i said Howie fills in the 90 man roster and Doug cuts down to the 53....JP isn’t a cut he is a decision to resign at this stageb

Correct. But Who Howie signs for the 90  man roster is based on communication with the head coach. I agree that JP is a whole different scenario. That decision has to be a group one. I would think Peters deserves that.....

2 minutes ago, stine said:

Correct. But Who Howie signs for the 90  man roster is based on communication with the head coach. I agree that JP is a whole different scenario. That decision has to be a group one. I would think Peters deserves that.....

This is literally what I’ve said from the very start lol....When I say Howie I mean the entire FO is the personnel department, scouts etc. and we all know they are listening to the coaches taking in their feedback as well....

But when the final decision comes up on to whether to sign this guy, retain this guy, release this guy etc. comes up on the 90 man roster and the room is split final call has to go to Howie as the GM. 

In the JP case if it is fairly even split on what to do with him yes think Howie should lean with the coaches mainly Stout in my eyes which likely is who Doug is listening to.

But if the majority of everyone involved think it’s time to move on from JP and go with Dillard... I don’t think Howie should undermine all of them just for Doug either 

There are a lot of people involved in these decisions it isn’t like it is just Doug vs Howie makes all the calls