DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

If we start getting Lurie Involved believe we are basically back with Chipper again and there is massive turmoil going on in the FO/coaching staff....And at the point Lurie has to make the serious call of firing the GM or the HC....Or even both 

5 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Simple Joe. Tennessee wants Phillip Rivers service but so do the Panthers. Which team will offer up enough cash out of their cap space to sign him? The Giants and Seahawks already have their QB's in place. Tennessee doesn't! I think the Patriots need a QB as well. Lets see where Conklin ends up.

Is Rivers getting $50 mil? .... $50 mil is a lot of cap space to lock in the players you want.  Tenn gets first crack at it... including a tag if needed.   If they want Conklin, they will keep him.  

My thoughts on Free Agency:

The draft is real deep in Wr and CB talent. There are 19 top 64 ranked WR's and CB's in this draft. 29 total if you consider top 100.

Now you look at LB and there are 4 top 64 and total of 6 top 100. Edge rushers - 7 top 64 and 13 top 100. So, my thinking is we should look long and hard at LB for free agency. Get at least 1 and maybe 2... There are only 6 top 100 safetys so there is another area I would look at.

I am not saying do not sign a WR or a CB. What I am saying is you have to look at positions of need in Free Agency if there is not an abundance in the draft.

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

YES!!

Yes... so you agree that the final decision is Howie's based upon a bunch of factors including how badly Doug, Stoutland thinks we need him... and then based upon the landscape of the OL position within the organization and the league.... and what the contract situation would be.  Doug is a factor... but Howie makes the decision... not Lurie.  Lurie works on the decisions like the color of the uniform etc... not football players.   It's not Howie not trusting Doug, it's taking his input.  For Doug... his job is to say every players is great and that he wants them back.   Should always say that for multitude of reasons... like if he actually does come back for one, it looks good that the coach wanted you... if he gets signed elsewhere, it helps his value if the other team thinks the Eagles want him..etc.   Never a good idea to say I don't want this player back.    Lurie breaks no tie... in your example ... it would be Stoutland as you... Doug your boss... and Howie as the VP.  .... Lurie is not in that equation.  

3 minutes ago, stine said:

The draft is real deep in Wr and CB talent. There are 19 top 64 ranked WR's and CB's in this draft. 29 total if you consider top 100.

Now you look at LB and there are 4 top 64 and total of 6 top 100. Edge rushers - 7 top 64 and 13 top 100. So, my thinking is we should look long and hard at LB for free agency. Get at least 1 and maybe 2... There are only 6 top 100 safetys so there is another area I would look at.

I am not saying do not sign a WR or a CB. What I am saying is you have to look at positions of need in Free Agency if there is not an abundance in the draft.

Hmmmmm that is tough call since we are a team that undervalues LB....I do believe we should sign a LB though in FA.

Would also love to see a S added as well though I believe we have to find a way to keep Jenkins and would like to move Maddox into the McLeod role as the deep S.

CB- would love to see Byron Jones and think we retain Mills(this will be Howie and the FO listening to Schwartz). 

WR- I’ve stated I think we need a complete rebuild here so I’m looking to add as much as I can here I’m not just looking at this coming season but the years after as well....So guys like Djax/Alshon likely gone if not this season next. So essentially have 3 starting WR positions to fill. 
Get me a guy like Robinson/Perriman/Allison etc. take a flier on a guy like Cam Phillips(XFL) draft a Ruggs take another Flier on a mid/Late rounder then have them all battle it out best men win. 

3 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Hmmmmm that is tough call since we are a team that undervalues LB....I do believe we should sign a LB though in FA.

Would also love to see a S added as well though I believe we have to find a way to keep Jenkins and would like to move Maddox into the McLeod role as the deep S.

CB- would love to see Byron Jones and think we retain Mills(this will be Howie and the FO listening to Schwartz). 

WR- I’ve stated I think we need a complete rebuild here so I’m looking to add as much as I can here I’m not just looking at this coming season but the years after as well....So guys like Djax/Alshon likely gone if not this season next. So essentially have 3 starting WR positions to fill. 
Get me a guy like Robinson/Perriman/Allison etc. take a flier on a guy like Cam Phillips(XFL) draft a Ruggs take another Flier on a mid/Late rounder then have them all battle it out best men win. 

Did anyone on here mention Lamical Perine? RB that probably can be had in the 5th round and could be a good fit here.  I agree with your assessments BG93.

1 minute ago, stine said:

Did anyone on here mention Lamical Perine? RB that probably can be had in the 5th round and could be a good fit here.  I agree with your assessments BG93.

GBFL has mentioned him a few times 

I also know we ha e had informal meeting with Perine as well 

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Also on the Perine topic is he related to Samaje Perine????

cousins

Listening to what Howie is saying ...and the current situation with the team  (cap space and the outgoing FAs we are losing)    I'm fully expecting us to be major players in FA.   Also I think the next CBA is going to cause the cap to go up huge.   WE have around a $200 mil cap this year without a new CBA.... $300 mil is coming a lot sooner than people realize.   You lock in guys now for long term... those contracts take up 2/3 of the percentage of the cap in that scenario.     QBs will be making $50 mil soon enough.   I think the more we can lock in now, the better our cap situation and ability to build a roster will be in the future.  Obviously the key as always... we need to get guys that perform on the field.... bargain or not, the key is how they play, not the $$$

Listen to Doug talk about the addition of Scangarello and how he worked under Shanny and excels with play-action moving the pocket etc. and wants to add that to the O....Makes me feel like we will get back to a more 2017 type O.

Ive said a few times on here I thought we got away from things that Wentz liked. The being under center play-action just moving around.

2 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I’m not aiming to trade back round 1 if this draft is as deep and talented as every keeps saying to me that means my top guy on my board is likely going to be in striking range or even possibly fall in my lap at 21.

I know I mentioned 40...because I really would like that as our second pick. I’ve been thinking out loud about what it would take to go from 103 to 40. Keeping 53. And I’m greedy so keeping 85 as well. 
        But maybe the easiest way to give us that little bit of extra ammo to pull it off is by moving back from 21 to say....27?

3 hours ago, stine said:

Some very intriguing LBs in FA. Been thinking we get the ATL LB. But I like how it’s been starting to look like we can get a heck of one in the draft. Many have Murray on the board for us in the first. A few day two options as well.

S I feel pretty much the same. Several great looking options in FA. Sounds like the top guy Simmons will be staying in Denver however. But still plenty of choices. Ward, Harris, HaHa.... But starting to look like some good ones might be in range for the drsft also. Delpit might fall in range. Winfield could be there in the second. Really liking Duggar...in the third. 
    What an upgrade it would be if we got a LB and S in FA and the draft. Two of each, a vet and a rook.
  Of coarse you could look at this the opposite way also. If the depth isn’t great in FA maybe that’s whom you need to target in the draft.

10 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

But you want to go the right of distrusting the entire personnel department????? What makes more sense for Howie to do...Listening to 1 guy his coach or the personnel department????

They are going to talk all this out they will talk about JP and if the majority feel like it’s in the best interest for the team to move on from JP then Howie should make the call to move on from JP....If the majority feel it’s in the best interest for JP to return he should make the move to get him back.

If Doug is running to Lurie who he somehow gets to override Howie then we might as well just fire Howie and everyone else in the FO because you literally just undermined all of them for 1 person(Doug’s) sake.

Final decision as I have said all along on the 90 man roster should be Howie’s....Based on the information that he is given from all the coaches, scouts, personnel department etc. 

LMAO,WOW you don't see at all what I'm talking about HAHAHA.I give up man

9 hours ago, stine said:

Yep on my mock for awhile if we take a RB.Think he will go higher than 5 though,I have him at 124

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

LMAO,WOW you don't see at all what I'm talking about HAHAHA.I give up man

Lmao I completely see what you talking about just don’t agree with anything your saying 

9 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Lmao I completely see what you talking about just don’t agree with anything your saying 

Cool

9 hours ago, stine said:

Hey Stine. I have 2 different mocks.IDK if we re-sign Howard(or another vet).I think Sanders can handle most of the load.I am anxious to see if Clement is ready to go,if not we need to look at RB a bit closer.I DO have Perrine in one mock.In another,if was Clement is good and we sign a vet,I would still bring this guy on Board as a late flier pick Reggie Corbin from Illinois.He's rough IMO but the talent is there.He'd be great sitting a year,but worth having.A WR I really like who is flying under the radar(for now) is Marquez Callaway from Tennessee.Give him a peak,could be nice steal late or possibly even a UDFA

7 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I know I mentioned 40...because I really would like that as our second pick. I’ve been thinking out loud about what it would take to go from 103 to 40. Keeping 53. And I’m greedy so keeping 85 as well. 
        But maybe the easiest way to give us that little bit of extra ammo to pull it off is by moving back from 21 to say....27?

WHO are you targeting Ham? I mean say we did that who are your picks at 21,40 and 53? I mean you have to have guys in mind to make a move of this caliber

7 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

If we want to add a WR then we can't trade back bud. There's too many teams just behind us that are WR needy. There's too many teams who could even jump us at #21.

11 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

what sows discord to me is when Pedey and Duce beg to have Sproles back and he can’t contribute for years. Makes everybody look bad. Not sure why you(FL) feel like Peters at 38 is the best option to protect your Franchise QB. I’d probably lean towards the opposite. But if Peters will take a backup roll and keep coaching the kids up...I’d consider bringing him back at a much discounted rate. Probably even have the talk with him about becoming Stout’s assistant after this season. Let him know he’s auditioning for a coaching job.

IDk seems to be rather demeaning.I think JP would rather go out a pro bowler.IMO he can play effectively,or he can't. Thats why we have a staff.I never said he was the best option,maybe Ped does.Is Dillard ready? I mean REALLY ready? I suppose it hinges on that.I would be fine with JP as a BU,if he would settle for the reduced pay.I would like to see him join the staff as well. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If we want to add a WR then we can't trade back bud. There's too many teams just behind us that are WR needy. There's too many teams who could even jump us at #21.

2 ways to look at this IMO.WR is DEEP this year.Nice WR's even in mid 4.The combine will tell us alot more.We can figure who the speedsters are.I have also seen mocks where we take a CB and even a S at 21.Lord knows we need refreshed in the secondary.I'm starting to look more at Aiyuk at 21.I know most think if the bama guys are gone we take shenault,but something bout him just doesn't trip my trigger.Aiyuk and Reagor I would look at if they turn it up in the combine

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Just an FYI.We made postseason with ZERO WR's over 500 yards.I don't think that can get worse no matter who we take lol(Yikes).That's a SAD stat there