DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

On 6/30/2018 at 2:42 PM, 1wrangler said:

The Ringer’s Danny Kelly says:  San Francisco’s got plenty of interior pass-rush talent, but they don’t have a proven elite edge rusher like Graham. If they threw a 2019 second-rounder or more Philly’s way, Howie Roseman may have to consider it.

The most important thing, Did you find a nice place to move to?

Hi Wrang. This trip was to scout out areas I could live in. Found a few towns that would work,saw a few houses but still early yet. Now will finish up the work here,get it listed and head back up there to look at homes in those areas I chose.Hopefully mid- end of Sept.Depends how fast the work is done here

On 7/4/2018 at 3:12 PM, downwithdallas said:

It's been longer since I've been on still can't believe we are the champions and everyone is chasing us at the top. Looking at the roster and listening to everything you hear from OTA's (taking it all in but taking none of it to heart) we look to be in a great position going into training camp. Everyone looks to be back or ahead of schedule with injuries and looking to be back before the season, minus Jernigan. Even with the 1 game suspension to Bradham (which could have been worse with Adolf Goodell running the show) we should have Hicks back for at least week 1 to hold down the fort. I honestly haven't heard a lot of chatter about the linebackers this offseason but that can be good or bad thing. With all the excitement with the CBs and Dline on defense this offseason and the big questions at safety without Corey they get lost in the shuffle (at least that's my hope). Our offense looks to take even greater strides. Peters and Sproles dynamic playmakers return to the lineup. Along with the additions of Wallace on the outside and Goedert as a 2nd TE threat we look even better on paper. I'm excited to see this team hit the field this fall. The wait is killing me.

Like Foles,don't get me wrong,but this offense will be even more potent with Wentz at the controls.Let's hope he can stay upright for the whole season.If not,I am confident Foles can do it.Can't wait to see Clement(my boy) in year 2 along with Sproles. We need to win another one for him and get Wentz his first(although he is the one that put us in position).

Pedey has to take on much more of the load this season. He described the weekly gameplanning last season. It broke down into three phases. First and second down plan(Pedey and Reich). Third downs(Pedey,Reich and Groh). And Red Zone plan (Pedey,Reich and DeFelipo). Much of that brain trust is gone now. Groh I’m sure is ready to take on more workload.  Assuming he takes over Reich’s workload...who else can be relied on to enter the brain trust? Losing both offensive coaches was probably the team’s biggest loss they will have to overcome.

613 total yards

500 passing yards

29 first downs

8.5 yards per play

5.1 yards per carry

10.0 yards

defensively this is the concern. These are the numbers the D gave up in the SB. It was bad. And the D was rested during the game. Did Bellicheat and Brady expose Schwartz scheme? The one thing we all know is the Oline is allowed more holding in the big game. That obviously benefited them much more than us. We relied heavily on the front four eating to lead the D.

5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

613 total yards

500 passing yards

29 first downs

8.5 yards per play

5.1 yards per carry

10.0 yards

defensively this is the concern. These are the numbers the D gave up in the SB. It was bad. And the D was rested during the game. Did Bellicheat and Brady expose Schwartz scheme? The one thing we all know is the Oline is allowed more holding in the big game. That obviously benefited them much more than us. We relied heavily on the front four eating to lead the D.

New England has gone 4-2 against Schwartz during the regular season, with one of those two Patriot losses being a meaningless Week 17 game in 2014 when Tom Bradywas pulled after halftime. The last time a Schwartz-coached team defeated the Patriots with Brady playing the whole way through was back in 2002 -- the first time he ever coached against them. That's also the last time any of Schwartz's teams have forced the Patriots into a turnover, which is probably not a coincidence. 

In the five-straight losses that came after that (including one playoff loss), the Patriots averaged 361.6 yards and 35.4 points per game against Schwartz's Titans, Lions, and Bills defenses. Both of those figures are more than double what the 2002 Titans gave up to the Patriots in the first Schwartz vs. Belichick-and-Brady matchup.  This was written not long before the Super Bowl was played.

Ham, right after the Super bowl I brought up about the New England Offensive line holding most of the game and at the time, no one wanted to hear about it. I understood as we had just won our first Super Bowl but now revisiting the situation, the Patriots had two non starters starting that game on the O-line. I may be wrong with one of the positions but I believe it was both guard positions. There is absolutely no way these guys hold our defensive line off all game until the strip at the end of the game without officials looking the other way on holding calls. Why do holding calls matter during the regular season if they don't matter in the Super Bowl?  I hear fans say all the time. Let them play. Well letting them play in the Super Bowl could have cost the Eagles dearly in the end and then all those holding non calls would be being scrutinized for the next ten years. It still sticks in my crawl that Brady had 500 yards passing against the Eagles even though we won the game because they were not legitimate in my mind. I have an affection for the big uglies and I keep my eye on them during a game. If I could see the holding calls, the refs could see them as well. Maybe not all of them but enough of them that would have made a big difference in the end as far as how large a victory it really was for the Eagles.

These allegations against McCoy are real troubling. Why is it, these multi-dollar athletes think they can do whatever they please? Here they are, living a dream and they throw it all away.

McCoy was one of my favorite Eagles. Now I don't even want to look at anything to do with him. Sure there is a chance he was not involved, but I can't see it.

I can’t believe the giants gave up their third round pick in the supplemental draft today. The Skins gave up a sixth rounder. Not a bad move for them on a player with potential.

Gotta let it play out Stine.

Forgot the sup draft was today, was curious if we'd use a late rd pick as there were a few good players available

I have to say this story about McCoy is very damning. Really hard to believe he wasn’t behind her being beat. The picture of her looks terrible. Pistol whipped and beaten...just despicable.

On 7/10/2018 at 12:22 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

Pedey has to take on much more of the load this season. He described the weekly gameplanning last season. It broke down into three phases. First and second down plan(Pedey and Reich). Third downs(Pedey,Reich and Groh). And Red Zone plan (Pedey,Reich and DeFelipo). Much of that brain trust is gone now. Groh I’m sure is ready to take on more workload.  Assuming he takes over Reich’s workload...who else can be relied on to enter the brain trust? Losing both offensive coaches was probably the team’s biggest loss they will have to overcome.

How about Duce?   And the other coaches giving more input.   With Doug still making the final call and the ball in Wentz/ Foles hands.  

On 7/10/2018 at 12:36 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

Did Bellicheat and Brady expose Schwartz scheme?

What is Schwartz's scheme?    Rush 4 and pray they get there.... and rely on your players to make plays.   Not sure I have seen much "scheme" from Schwartz??   I'm ok with the overall philosophy of building a defense that way, just don't really see any mad scientist or game planning genius with him.   Not sure if its an exposed scheme so much as blocking the front, the WR getting time to get open and the QB throwing it to him.    Putting Darby on Gronk doesn't take much to expose?   Robinson struggled in the slot, probably because it was the best WR he had to cover?  

McCoy .... LOL.   Come on guys.... dude was all about himself.   Case in point.... you break out the WWE title belt when you win the SB .... not for the rushing title.  MEsean all the way.... forget about off the field crap where he is at best just a big ARSE!  

you see him warming up like they do in the opera.... " AHHHHH MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME.... MEEEEEE.   ME"  

ZERO CAREER PLAYOFF WINS .... moving on!      That's my 2 cents .... 8 cents short of a tip... LOL

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

What is Schwartz's scheme?    Rush 4 and pray they get there.... and rely on your players to make plays.   Not sure I have seen much "scheme" from Schwartz??   I'm ok with the overall philosophy of building a defense that way, just don't really see any mad scientist or game planning genius with him.   Not sure if its an exposed scheme so much as blocking the front, the WR getting time to get open and the QB throwing it to him.    Putting Darby on Gronk doesn't take much to expose?   Robinson struggled in the slot, probably because it was the best WR he had to cover?  

Disappointed in your post. You are much more educated than this suggests.

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

How about Duce?   And the other coaches giving more input.   With Doug still making the final call and the ball in Wentz/ Foles hands.  

Well you have to question Duce because he wasn’t involved in that capacity last season. That’s telling. Pedey has more familiarity with Duce arguably than any of those other coaches.

OK, so going to the Carolina Game this year. Paying for 2 grand kids and my wife. It is not cheap!!  Section 131.....If anyone goes and wants to hook up message me. I will let you know what gate we tail gate at. Loads of food and beverages. We have a tent and a flat screen TV. We do it up right!!  lol

18 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Disappointed in your post. You are much more educated than this suggests.

Well.... Schwartz and vanilla ice cream have a lot in common.   But to me, as I've said all along, and why I wanted a top DE taken if he was near BPA last year... Schwartz has had success in the NFL due to having the great players at DL.   He needs that.  He isn't a JJ that can out scheme you.   He relies on his front 4 to get there and then plays behind them.  I don't know how profound cover 2, 3, 4,  man under or whatever else you want to put that means... when the entire thing is based on 4 guys getting to the QB.  You saw the SB ... where did Jenkins play... he covered the RB that had 1 catch.  Is it rocket science to throw to Gronk vs Darby .... Amendola who owned Robinson... or anyone that McCloud covered?  Run the double move on Mills ... and give Brady credit for that one, I think it was his best throw.    But you tell me if its a lot more than having time to throw and then hitting the mismatches that were obviously there?    It's not rocket science... just that a lot of other teams don't have the players to do that vs the Eagles defense, especially slowing down the front 4.   NE offense has always been about spacing, hitting the WR on the run, using Gronk's mismatch...etc.  I don't think anyhting changed.     

2 hours ago, stine said:

OK, so going to the Carolina Game this year. Paying for 2 grand kids and my wife. It is not cheap!!  Section 131.....If anyone goes and wants to hook up message me. I will let you know what gate we tail gate at. Loads of food and beverages. We have a tent and a flat screen TV. We do it up right!!  lol

Well... with your track record... Eagles and the over should be a good play that week!   $$$$

18 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Well you have to question Duce because he wasn’t involved in that capacity last season. That’s telling. Pedey has more familiarity with Duce arguably than any of those other coaches.

Not really... just that the other 2 guys were there (Reich and Flip) .  You would think OC and QB coach ... along with OL coach should be the 3 guys that get involved more so.  I think Duce is great with the players.  He is still a very new coach in comparison to others... he has to start somewhere.  With the other 2 guys gone now, he should naturally take on more responsibility with the game planning.  Again though.... defending champs, some of the details will take care of themselves... ultimately its about feeding Doug the info, and he makes the final call before the players need to execute.   The grunt work will be done by someone, the good thing is the familiarity with the players and the system is there now compared to before.  If I had to be concerned about the offense.. it would be some blocking stuff that Celek took care of and how that gets replaced.  I like the new TE, but he is still a rookie, yo never know how he adjusts to the NFL, especially the blocking part.  

Thanks No Mas! Much more to digest there. But every team covets the elite pass rusher. That isn’t Schwartz specific. He might be hampered more than some elite DCs without it(I’ll give you that). Jim Johnson disguised and brought blitzes more. Many times showing 6 or 7 man pressure to disguise the true blitzer. Schwartz does is work in the coverage side of things. He isn’t showing the blitzers very much. But it’s hard to gauge because how much of what we ran on defense was because of the limitations of our corners? 

Pretty remarkable that a penetrating 4-3 scheme has excelled so much in run defense. There is some genius in that! Have to give Schwartz credit there.

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Not really... just that the other 2 guys were there (Reich and Flip) .  You would think OC and QB coach ... along with OL coach should be the 3 guys that get involved more so.  I think Duce is great with the players.  He is still a very new coach in comparison to others... he has to start somewhere.  With the other 2 guys gone now, he should naturally take on more responsibility with the game planning.  Again though.... defending champs, some of the details will take care of themselves... ultimately its about feeding Doug the info, and he makes the final call before the players need to execute.   The grunt work will be done by someone, the good thing is the familiarity with the players and the system is there now compared to before.  If I had to be concerned about the offense.. it would be some blocking stuff that Celek took care of and how that gets replaced.  I like the new TE, but he is still a rookie, yo never know how he adjusts to the NFL, especially the blocking part.  

You skipped the part about the new coach,Groh, moving ahead of Duce and being responsible for his part of the game plan(last season).Then that was followed up by Groh passing Duce to become OC.

Swartz does not "scheme" allot. He has certain players doing things they should not be doing (or at least as often as they are). However, to say he does not scheme is not fair either. You mentioned above that he put Jenkins on a RB to take him out of the game plan. That RB got 1 catch. Also, Ham is right about not having the horses at the CB position. Darby was fast but he needs more technique (which I feel he will get this year). Jones will be a marked improvement no matter where he plays. Douglas was a rookie and we will see a huge step forward from him. Bausby has been turning heads this camp. We are loaded at CB this year so there is no excuse for Swartz as far as I am concerned. I highly doubt you will see any team light us up this season. Also, the above statement is correct. When JJ played, offenses did not have the liberties they do now. Maybe a little towards the end of his career, but not for the majority.

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Well... with your track record... Eagles and the over should be a good play that week!   $$$$

Don't jinx me!   lol I think Down with Dallas went to that game last year also...