DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Shout - out with congratulations and brotherly love to all of the coaches & players for a great road win and an admirable team win!

I had a ton of fun tonight! E-A-G-L-E-S - EAGLES!!!

1529653054_EaglesLOVEwPrimaryLogo87-95.jpg.fd67ba91a183ac7558e87837be4ab369.jpg

I like what Nick Foles does.    The fact that its obvious he isn;t as good as Carson Wentz, it forces Doug to call a better game (running the ball).   The fact that the defense doesn't think he is as good as Carson Wentz... they play up and let 2 WRs get 10 yards behind them.    He is a coach's dream because he doesn't mess up and lose it for you, yet you know that you have to call a smart game.   The players in front of him know that he isn't going to bail them out of mistakes so they focus and take care of their job.   Basically, everyone else does that they should be doing all the time.     

Other than the absolutely stupid play call and dumb throw for the INT by Talib, I thought everything was done well tonight.   Some poor Andy Reid type clock mangagement by not running the ball at the end of the half and to start the 4th Q, and not waiting one more second to challenge the fake punt catch incase the play stood ... I thought Doug did a good job tonight.  Foles must have told Schwartz to blitz a couple of times too.  Credit Nick Foles, his consistent mediocre to solid type play has a positive effect on the rest of the team. 

All sarcasm aside ... my hope is Doug figures this out... try this type of game plan and play calling whoever the QB is.   The game of football is easier if the opposing defense thinks there is a chance you might run the ball.      

I love the maturity that Maddox & Goedert have shown this season. Goedert has become a good blocker and Maddox has done a great job learning the Safety position in such a short time. Both versatile players. I love seeing draft picks pay off!

Just some observations from last nights game. Even though Wiz will probably be gone after the season for cap reasons, I still believe our O-line plays better as a group with him playing LG in place of Seumalo.  When was the last time the Eagles defensive line put as much pressure on a QB as they did last night? I can't remember but it has to have been a while. Notice how much better our practice squad secondary played with all that pressure on Goff? How long are we going to keep giving Elliot a pass on  critical missed field goals because of the 61 yarder he made last year?  Granted that missed field goal of 51 yards to ice the game last night was not an easy field goal but there was no wind last night when he kicked it. Hopefully we get some good competition for him in camp next year.  I really believed prior to the game that Doug Pederson was going to turn Sproles loose on the Rams last night and for a while it appeared like I was going to be correct however Smallwood really stepped up to the plate in a capacity that I have never seem before.  I never noticed Smallwood hitting the holes as quickly as he did last night. Congratulations to him on a great game.  I still believe with two games left we should ride Sproles into the sunset to any capacity that he can handle. He is rested and opposing defensive linemean at this time of year are not. After watching the Rams last night I think its safe to say their weakest link is their offensive line and they are not the same team without Cooper Kupp. JMO

Just now, mjkline1958 said:

Wonder if Sproles wants to give it another yr? Still need  a power back.

Its all going to come down to money mjk. It always does. Got to fit all the contributing pieces under the cap. 

For me the best thing is the play of the secondary with a bunch of 3rd stringers and PS players.

Props to them and the secondary coaches.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/csn/eagles/NFL_playoff_picture__A_look_at_Eagles__chances_after_Sunday_s_win_over_Rams_PHI-502900011.html

Here are some updated scenarios after the Birds' win Sunday: 

• If the Eagles beat Houston next week, their playoff chances would increase to 51 percent.

• If they win out - at home against the Texans, at Washington - their chances jump up to 72 percent. The 10-4 Texans pose the stiffest test. A loss to Houston drops the Birds' chances to 10 percent. A win and a playoff berth could become a lot more realistic.

• To claim the NFC East, the Eagles would need to win out and the Cowboys either lose out or lose and tie. The Eagles hold the tiebreaker over Washington (7-7). 

• The Eagles need to finish at least one game better than the Vikings over the final two weeks to move into the 6-seed.

• The Seahawks (8-6) hold the tiebreaker over the Eagles because of conference record.

• Carolina (6-7) has the tiebreaker over the Eagles because of head-to-head wins.

That KC/Seattle game might tell the tale. I believe the Chiefs and Chargers are tied now.  Before  I didn't think the Chiefs would need the win as much as Seattle but now!!!!!!!!! Who knows.

The world as Jonathan Jones from Sports Illustrated sees it.

Foles will be the starting quarterback for Jacksonville or Washington or Miami or Tampa Bay next season.  

On to Houston. Learning their D gives up big plays and their passing game is limited. Take away their run game and they're toast!

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

What really fries the brain is what if Foles started vs the girls?

Things like this are why I don't do hypotheticals.

Yeah Im doin the what if too which I started last night lol

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

That KC/Seattle game might tell the tale. I believe the Chiefs and Chargers are tied now.  Before  I didn't think the Chiefs would need the win as much as Seattle but now!!!!!!!!! Who knows.

Foles will be the starting quarterback for Jacksonville or Washington or Miami or Tampa Bay next season.  

Miami good spot.I had said that before.Tampa,IDK Jamies runs hot and cold,so does Fitz maybe they are ok with keeping them both at reduced rates.Jax had a good team going and collapsed,so believe they will go after their QB in the draft and buld the rest of the team back trhough FA

9 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Miami good spot.I had said that before.Tampa,IDK Jamies runs hot and cold,so does Fitz maybe they are ok with keeping them both at reduced rates.Jax had a good team going and collapsed,so believe they will go after their QB in the draft and buld the rest of the team back trhough FA

GB, Whenever I think of Nick starting for another NFL team  next year, I try to consider what offensive coordinator is skillful enough to design an offense to his specifics assets. Nick seems like the type of guy that would play for a little less money for the right situation or right offense. Out of the 4 teams being mentioned by Sports illustrated , I can see Tom Coughlin from Jacksonville being talented enough to design an offense around Nicks talents. I can also see Washington's Gruden being able to do the same thing. Not sure about Miami or Tampa's offensive coordinators though. Man I would hate to have to play against Nick twice a year in Washington though.

Houston looks more doable since they just got by the Jets this week.

Vikings have back to back division games play Detroit then the Bears....Could honestly come down to this week lions need to get a W for us  good chance Bears could rest starters in week 17 

Crazy. I started watching the game last night very relaxed as I thought the Eagles would get destroyed.  I was pretty nervous by the end. Great win!  Love the fact that they didn't quit with everything against them.  Some observations:

* I have no issues with Doug going for it in 4th and 1 from around mid field after they had gotten a turnover. It was an "extra" possession anyway.  I just didn't like the call, or rather, WHO they called the run up the middle for.  Adams has to understand the situation.  It's 4th and 1!  The box is stacked and you have extra Olinemen to help.  So hit the whole downhill and quickly.  That waiting around for a hole when the box is stacked is never a good idea. 

* LeBlanc - I kind of like this kid.  He is not the most talented necessarily, but he is around the ball and plays with good aggression and angles, especially for a guy we hadn't even heard of prior to three weeks ago.

* The offense seemed to FLOW more last night.  I'm a big Wentz fan, but he needs to self scout and realize he needs to get Jeffery more involved.  He needs to get off of Ertz a little/lot more.  I'm a little bummed that the team has decided to exclude Agholor after the tremendous progress he made last year. But it is what it is at this point.

* Finally, the Rams....they play small ball.  I was not impressed.  But I do think they will fix it. With all of the backup to the backup to the backup DBs on the Eagles team, they did NOT test the secondary much at all.  Cox was a force limiting that, but even when Cox was on the bench, the Rams did not force the issue downfield.

3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Not that I want to have to play Foles twice a year but I still believe NYG would be a great spot for him 

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

GB, Whenever I think of Nick starting for another NFL team  next year, I try to consider what offensive coordinator is skillful enough to design an offense to his specifics assets. Nick seems like the type of guy that would play for a little less money for the right situation or right offense. Out of the 4 teams being mentioned by Sports illustrated , I can see Tom Coughlin from Jacksonville being talented enough to design an offense around Nicks talents. I can also see Washington's Gruden being able to do the same thing. Not sure about Miami or Tampa's offensive coordinators though. Man I would hate to have to play against Nick twice a year in Washington though.

Fins are a few pieces away,just like they have been for years(see Cleveland).They just can't seem to pull it all together and I feel the lack of QB talent is probably their biggest issue.Although Nick is not spectacular,he is consistent and a game manager and lord knows he can beat the Pats and maybe put some competition into that division

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Washington is a shame hate to see what happened to Alex Smith....His career could be over as well and he was still playing good football 

Similar to Foles he was a game manager

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Pats and maybe put some competition into that division

I think the AFC East could be on the rise in the next couple seasons.... I like what I’ve seen from the two rookie QBs in the division they still need to improve and the Jets and Bills need to add more talent but think they are trending in the right direction