DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Another reason I'd ride Foles - he actually throws a deep ball, even while getting hit. Wentz seemed to be full of indecision this yr, holding onto the ball and settling on short throws when he did get it out. Even then it was to his select few when he has a lot more weapons around. Some of that may be Pedey and the RB's.

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Wrang.....I’ve seen and read all that still doesn’t answer the weird Wentz situation.... If Wentz back injury is going to take 3 month again why not just place him on IR

Wentz has been playing this season with the back injury. So he can play. There’s not much saying he would be risking serious harm by playing....just that it isn’t healing. I’d agree with leaving the option open to have him in a backup position for the playoffs games only.

Did Wentz back injury have a big effect on the lack of deep balls? Did his injury necessitate the trade for Tate?(you know get him a YAC guy to compensate for the lack of deep ball) Is his back injury the reason we didn’t trade Foles before the trade deadline? How much did the organization know? And when? Tons of insider knowledge here on this situation that completely changes what we thought we knew. It all started to come out after the big dallas game. Which in itself seems telling since that was the biggest game of our season.  And since we lost. How many feel it wouldn’t have come out if we had beat dallas?

In that case Ham, should Foles have been starting long ago? I absolutely believe Wentzs' play cost us quite a few games this yr.

4 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I think the AFC East could be on the rise in the next couple seasons.... I like what I’ve seen from the two rookie QBs in the division they still need to improve and the Jets and Bills need to add more talent but think they are trending in the right direction 

After FOURTEEN YEARS of sucking, it would be way PAST time to "trend" in the right direction.  It is baffling how bad these three teams have been while the Patriots have dominated.  Unbelievable actually.

30 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

In that case Ham, should Foles have been starting long ago? I absolutely believe Wentzs' play cost us quite a few games this yr.

In retrospect, every thing I read about ACL's and surgery to repair them indicated that Wentz was coming back too early . Yet everyone ignored what was in his best interest and just figured he was Super Man or something and let him play. When you play on a knee that is not completely healed you have a tendency to favor something else which can lead to another injury.  I guess we will never know if it was Wentz's impatience that got him on the field as early as he did or the team's desire not to create a QB controversy  if Foles came out the gate at the beginning of the year and kicked a**.  I think we can all be glad that his injury is just something small in comparison to what it could have been with a re injury of the ACL. I still believe that CB Jones is injured because he came back too early from a previous injury. In my opinion we have yet to see the real Jones on the field since we drafted him.  

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

So Pedey said part of Foles' success was due to the slimmed down game plan, which would have been slimmed down even if Wentz was still playing. Did Pedey admit they were trying to do too many things instead of fewer things better?

I really think Foles was looking to Jeffery a lot more as Jeffery can get those jump balls.  Wentz has thrown nothing to Jeffery all year except a screen pass and a slant....and one jump ball in the end zone which Jeffery caught.  Fewer things? or better execution of what was called? Probably both.  I still think the season is over, but if SOMEHOW the Eagles can beat the Texans, who knows.

The reality is this team is very average. They played better than they are last night, but the Rams played downright poorly.  Their dink and dunk passing game was a disaster considering the Eagles D is down to their 3rd and 4th string CBs.

I like Chris Long a lot, but he has been completely contained most of the season. If not for Fletcher Cox and Bennett, the DLine would not be a factor.

What about Hicks? What do the Eagles do with a guy that can't stay on the field? Do they keep him or move on?  I have mixed feelings there.  Do they keep Darby and Mills or start over AGAIN at CB?

Wrang, I am with you on Jones.  If he can stay healthy, I think he has talent to play well at this level.  CB is the toughest position in the league to play with all of the touchy penalties called.

I want a new rule. Defensive holding to be a 5 yard penalty but NOT an automatic first down.  When it is 3rd and long and a ref throws an iffy defensive holding call, I nearly lose my mind watching games.  C'mon man!  Let the defenders play too!

16 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

Wrang, I am with you on Jones.  If he can stay healthy, I think he has talent to play well at this level.  CB is the toughest position in the league to play with all of the touchy penalties called.

I want a new rule. Defensive holding to be a 5 yard penalty but NOT an automatic first down.  When it is 3rd and long and a ref throws an iffy defensive holding call, I nearly lose my mind watching games.  C'mon man!  Let the defenders play too!

You back home Cookster?  I didn't know if you were going to vacation after the race or not

And the weather for my race was perfect!  They had the shorter Spartan race, the Spartan Sprint, on Sunday morning.  It POURED. I was REALLY glad I didn't have to run 15 miles and do 34 obstacles in that pouring rain.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Can’t really agree about this. Foles threw 6 TDs vs the Raiders...remember. And he likes to chuck it deep. He’s not a Captain Checkdown personality. 

Foles has 7 tds ties the nfl record did it in 3 qtrs as well still pissed Chipper didn’t let him get the record 8th td

I like the Oklahoma guys. WR Marquise ‘Hollywood’ Brown and OL Cody Ford.  

Brown is small but a burner. Great routes. Cousin of Antonio Brown.

Ford has Hercules strength. He’s a T that I’d probably start at G. Footwork is the knock on him. But he’s a good athlete.

11 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Wrang.....I’ve seen and read all that still doesn’t answer the weird Wentz situation.... If Wentz back injury is going to take 3 month again why not just place him on IR

OK... the idea is that 3 months to fully heal, but I also saw that they think he may be ready to play in a couple of weeks.  you don't put him on IR if he can play, because if you make the playoffs he is the backup, not Sudfeld.  That's really the answer.  It's not to start over Foles who would have been playing and got you in the playoffs, but as the backup to him.  

If Wentz can't get any worse, then he goes in as the backup.  It's the right move in a win or go home situation.  

Like I said last night, even if the docs approved of Wentz playing, I'd stick with Foles. Matter of fact, I would have gone to him weeks ago. Foles is mobile, doesn't have the "have to make a play" attitude, finds the open guy not just Ertz and throws downfield!

19 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Can’t really agree about this. Foles threw 6 TDs vs the Raiders...remember. And he likes to chuck it deep. He’s not a Captain Checkdown personality. 

He's not a gunslinger,he will hit things when he sees them just like Alex Smith,so I stick by my comment

19 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

UH its the RAIDERS dont all teams toss 4-5-6 TD's against them?

16 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Foles has 7 tds ties the nfl record did it in 3 qtrs as well still pissed Chipper didn’t let him get the record 8th td

C'mon. I was at that game. Foles played the whole game. The Eagles killed the Raiders. At some point throwing another TD pass is bad sportsmanship don't you think?  And Foles was throwing almost until the very end of that game.  It was  a fun game to be in attendance for sure. Especially against the Raiders.....known for a bad fan base.  The only place I have been treated worse was in Seattle. 

If the Eagles lose to the Texans, which is most likely, they are done, right?  Oh wait. If the Vikes lose BOTH games and the Eagles beat the Deadskins the following week and hell freezes over, then they have a chance.  Gotta love this time of year wondering which of the average teams is going to make the playoffs and quickly get eliminated.  I know. I know. The 7-9 Seahawks beat the Saints all those years ago.  But again, lost the next week. Only the mediocre Midgets seem to be able to get lucky in the playoffs when they squeeze in.

I know no one really wants to talk about players on other teams, but Luke Kuechly is an OUTSTANDING middle LB.  He plays that position like no other in the league.  Every time I just spend the game watching him, I am amazed.  He doesn't mess up. His instincts and clearly game study are second to none.  The Panthers are lucky to have him. 

Speaking of LBs, the Vikes miss Chad Greenway a lot more than expected.  He was always a very underrated LB in the league.  Never left the field and had great instincts.

The Eagles have Bradham and........uggg at the LB position.

Welp, in the fantasy finals.Wish me luck(Im gonna need it) Drafted 11th(ugh) Started out 1-4,then ran off a 9-1 winning streak,made the wildcard and then knocked off the #1 seed. ONE MORE GAME!!! 😁

Good game this week Squeelers at the Saints.Some excellent players on both clubs

7 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Like I said last night, even if the docs approved of Wentz playing, I'd stick with Foles. Matter of fact, I would have gone to him weeks ago. Foles is mobile, doesn't have the "have to make a play" attitude, finds the open guy not just Ertz and throws downfield!

As for me I wouldn't trust this med team to wash my car