DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Weather.com - 1 pm Sun low 40's and sunny

Just beat them outright, don't see why we shouldn't. We've opened 2 pt favs on Bovada. Unfortunately da girls are 7.5 favs.

The way I feel is we pulled together when we were down to beat one of the best teams, Houston can't be any worse. Just go out and kick butt

Maddox to me is a sign we could let McLeod go to free up cap..... Though I do believe this Eagles D is at its best when we have 3 S that can play at a fairly high level....Allows is to use a big nickel set with Jenkins down near the line which I believe is were he is at his best 

Have to agree, McLeod makes a good 3rd. Not just that but between the 3 we can ronconfigure by sending 1 to CB if needed. We already know what happens when we don't have a few guys who can fill in when someone goes down, let alone almost everyone!

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Have to agree, McLeod makes a good 3rd. Not just that but between the 3 we can ronconfigure by sending 1 to CB if needed. We already know what happens when we don't have a few guys who can fill in when someone goes down, let alone almost everyone!

I like to see Jenkins as that quasi 3rd LB in big nickel sets....He isn’t a liability against the run and he can still cover if need be....If we can find a stud LB to pair with Bradham watch out for this set(I like Hicks just can’t stay healthy would only consider bringing him back if it is cheap and would still be looking for that stud)....Also to make this set work need a 3rd S to allow is to bring Jenkins down 

So when I think back through the years the Eagles usually had a tough time facing a mobile QB like Watson for the very first time. No matter how much you prepare for him to take off at times, unless you actually face it on the field there is no reference point to draw from.  I can remember Vick smacking our defense a couple times until they got adjusted to his speed. In the playoff game against him they did pretty good. I am curious to see how long the learning curve is before our defensive contains him. I fully believe he is going to burn us a couple times but am hoping it will not be the cause of us laying an egg in the game. The Eagles know by now that the Texans offensive line is no better than the Rams and they should be able to get plenty of pressure on Watson but it also means that the Texans could be practicing rolling him out of the pocket this week . If the receiver is open, throw the ball and if he is not, take off running. Secondary be ware!

Ertz already has a single-season franchise-record 101 receptions to go along with 1,038 yards and six touchdowns. He is nine receptions away from tying Jason Witten's single-season NFL tight end receptions record and 152 yards away from setting the Eagles' single-season record for most receiving yards by a tight end.

What do you think fans? With Foles as our QB now, will Ertz get the passes and yards he needs to break the record?

17 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Think draws and screens could work wonders vs Houston....They have aggressive pass rushers both should help little to negate that 

But they will also know this and be ready for lots of screens.  Did you see the screen pass the Eagles TRIED vs the Rams? It was awful....near disasterous.  Can't have that type of screen play!

QBs: Foles is gone next year. The Eagles are not going to pay him $20 million to ride pine.  They won't get anything for him as he is a free agent.  It is what it is.

Cam Newton was HORRIBLE on Monday night.  I mean horrible. Something must be physically wrong.  He played one of his best games ever vs the Eagles.  Against the Saints, he could not hit the broad side of a barn to save his life.  Reminded me of Elway throwing the ball in the dirt for 3 quarters and then finally throwing some passes at the end to be the hero.  Yes.  NOT an Elway fan.  WAY overrated!

Wentz?  Right now there are a lot of questions all of the sudden about his long term health.  But you are the GM. What do you do?  Re-sign Foles at $25 million/year and trade/cut Wentz?  No chance that is going to happen. So Foles is gone. Eagles roll the dice with Wentz' health. That's what will happen.

Josh Johnson?  The deadskins won with Josh Johnson?

46 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

QBs: Foles is gone next year. The Eagles are not going to pay him $20 million to ride pine.  They won't get anything for him as he is a free agent.  It is what it is.

Cam Newton was HORRIBLE on Monday night.  I mean horrible. Something must be physically wrong.  He played one of his best games ever vs the Eagles.  Against the Saints, he could not hit the broad side of a barn to save his life.  Reminded me of Elway throwing the ball in the dirt for 3 quarters and then finally throwing some passes at the end to be the hero.  Yes.  NOT an Elway fan.  WAY overrated!

Wentz?  Right now there are a lot of questions all of the sudden about his long term health.  But you are the GM. What do you do?  Re-sign Foles at $25 million/year and trade/cut Wentz?  No chance that is going to happen. So Foles is gone. Eagles roll the dice with Wentz' health. That's what will happen.

If you have questions about wentz,then you keep Foles on the roster.We are already paying him,so that stays the same.In order to know what to do we need to see what Suds has to offer,which we may never see if Foles has to finish the season(again)

The HUGE question for me is,if Foles keeps winning games what do you do with wentz? Ok so he was a bigtime draft pick.There have been other top picks that did nothing for their teams.Not saying Wentz is gone,however the bottom line is WHO wins games for you? it's a biz and you have to put emotions aside and go with the combo of players that gives you the W.If that belongs to St.Nick,then thats what you do for the sake of the franchise

So the Eagles will pay Foles $20-$25 million to sit? Which is more than twice what Wentz is making for 2019.  Won't happen.  They wont' have time to decide before they have to sign Foles or Foles signs elsewhere.

Just now, senhorcook said:

So the Eagles will pay Foles $20-$25 million to sit? Which is more than twice what Wentz is making for 2019.  Won't happen.  They wont' have time to decide before they have to sign Foles or Foles signs elsewhere.

Who says he's gonna sit?

Ahhh. So you see it as the Eagles releasing Wentz if the health is "iffy"?  I don't think that will happen, but you make a valid point.  The rest of the team plays better when Foles is in, even though Wentz is the better QB with more "upside."

1 minute ago, senhorcook said:

Sure they do,there are still games to play and hopefully a post season.I said IF he keeps winning,you do what you must

Just now, senhorcook said:

Ahhh. So you see it as the Eagles releasing Wentz if the health is "iffy"?  I don't think that will happen, but you make a valid point.  The rest of the team plays better when Foles is in, even though Wentz is the better QB with more "upside."

Exactly.You know we had a few stars last year,some not so much,but they PLAYED WELL together.Thats the combo you need.As of now Wentz has not made it through an entire season and we really dont need an RG3 in Philly lol

Your point is valid. Can't argue against it.  Glad I personally don't have to make that decision.  Ripple effects COULD be hugeeeeeeee.

BTW I am jumping to no conclusions,just saying there are a few ways to deal with this.We have coaches and owners who make big bucks to make these decisions

2 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

Your point is valid. Can't argue against it.  Glad I personally don't have to make that decision.  Ripple effects COULD be hugeeeeeeee.

Absolutely

Possibly Wentz,if he can't get and STAY healthy would opt to be a BU as Foles has been.Foles can start anywhere,so could Wentz,so not tossing the towel in on him yet.But we saw Foles take apart a team that we were HUGE underdogs against.And we all know what he did last year.Calm,cool,collected,no flash,no BS,he DOES HIS JOB

How does Malcolm Jenkins not make the Pro Bowl? I mean really?  He's been everywhere making plays and dealing with three new compadres every game for the past several weeks.

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Possibly Wentz,if he can't get and STAY healthy would opt to be a BU as Foles has been.Foles can start anywhere,so could Wentz,so not tossing the towel in on him yet.But we saw Foles take apart a team that we were HUGE underdogs against.And we all know what he did last year.Calm,cool,collected,no flash,no BS,he DOES HIS JOB

(although I dont see wentz doing that,so take it FWIW.Really need to see Suds,as a fan to know what we have or dont have.Im sure the coaches know,but as  fan I do not.if Suds is a valid 2,then you have to re-think that room

Anyway all my conjecture hinges on if Foles can win out.Longshot indeed,but we thought after Wentz went down last year and all the pundits agreed we were "done" Foles got us a ring.So I will hold whatever my thoughts are until the season has ended

One last thing(does this guy EVER SHUT UP???) Like the way Foles is using ALL the players,not just looking for Ertz on every pass play/Sure ertz is a star,then again so are Alshon and tate and we need to use ALL the tools

1 hour ago, senhorcook said:

Yes Cam’s shoulder is obviously killing him. Just watching his throwing motion I was like ‘ what the heck is that motion?’ It’s just plain awkward.