DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

That Foles contract was written for two reasons: 1)respect for getting us our first SB. So a pay raise was the right thing to do. He got immediate more pay for 2018.

2) If Foleskept up the hot streak and grabbed a strangle hold on the starting job ...or Wentz failed to return from injury well. Then Foles would get starting money going forward. A complex contract that was all incentive based. He gets a certain pay for each game starting. That pay doubles with each victory. And so on...

So it was a respect contract that neither side intended would be a lasting contract. I wouldn’t get to caught up in it. Foles will sign a new contract this offseason. He may find a perfect fit starting job somewhere that he takes a big pay day with. Or he might happily except his place here with another incentive heavy contract. I’m leaning towards the latter. We have no problem paying well for a backup QB. And there can again be incentives based on games started, games played ending in victory, postseason achievement, if he makes the Pro Bowl, and a fat incentive for SB victory.

Too many scenarios to not want all 3 QB's in camp next yr, then see what happens. Why not rework Foles' contract and let them battle it out? Maybe Pedey changing his game plan will help the way Wentz is ( not ) playing. It's a long time between now and the start of next season, we'll see what changes occur and who runs it better. With Wentz's style of play and injury history, a part of me would not have any problem going w/ Nick. Before a decision like that can be made, the docs will have to give a prognosis as to the possible future outcomes for Carson.

Looks like Cam's sitting out the rest of the season - just reported

Ham....I don’t think Foles is going to be happy riding pine behind Wentz....Things could get tricky if Foles goes on another magical run might be a debate on do we keep Foles or Wentz..... I don’t see Foles returning next year we will do the respectful thing and cut him so he can test the market....Will be some teams out there willing to give Foles a chance to be a starter again 

34 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Ham....I don’t think Foles is going to be happy riding pine behind Wentz....Things could get tricky if Foles goes on another magical run might be a debate on do we keep Foles or Wentz..... I don’t see Foles returning next year we will do the respectful thing and cut him so he can test the market....Will be some teams out there willing to give Foles a chance to be a starter again 

He seems just fine doing that.He's done it for a few years now,so if someone paid me HUGE money,I will clean the earwax out of your ears.He's lucky,he gets the big check and rarely has to risk his body by starting 16 games.Seems like a win/win for him to me

"I don’t think Foles is going to be happy riding pine behind Wentz"                                                 He's doing it now.if he had a prob with it,he would not have re-signed with us,he COULD have walked last year after the SB win when he was a HOT commodity

6 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

"I don’t think Foles is going to be happy riding pine behind Wentz"                                                 He's doing it now.if he had a prob with it,he would not have re-signed with us,he COULD have walked last year after the SB win when he was a HOT commodity

Whatever not arguing about it.... Believe what you want 

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I agree about the part of we will cut him and be most respectful. Let him explore all his options. And also let him know that we want him back. It’s in everybody’s best interest to do it as soon as possible this offseason. Then we know which way to proceed going forward. I don’t believe we can keep both Foles and Suds any longer. So it’s a big offseason to decide on the backup QB. If it’s like you believe then we try and resign Suds. But I think Foles returns and we wave goodbye to Suds potential. Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I agree about the part of we will cut him and be most respectful. Let him explore all his options. And also let him know that we want him back. It’s in everybody’s best interest to do it as soon as possible this offseason. Then we know which way to proceed going forward. I don’t believe we can keep both Foles and Suds any longer. So it’s a big offseason to decide on the backup QB. If it’s like you believe then we try and resign Suds. But I think Foles returns and we wave goodbye to Suds potential. Only time will tell.

Not worried about Suds if we want to keep him can be kept for next to nothing...Foles on the other hand not so much will have to pay him to keep him(that if he is willing to stay a backup cuz he likely will have opportunities to compete for a starting job) and with Wentz contract looming that we’re the decision has to be made....

Ill be happy as anyone if we can keep Foles but believe he wants to start interviews with him even said he desired to be a starter again so think he pursues that this offseason...But like you only time will tell

45 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

So Deshaun Watson's the most sacked QB in the league. We hit QB's more than any other team in the league.

Should mean our DL can take over the game....They are going to need to since our CBs will have a tough task with Hopkins and Thomas 

Fortunately we can concentrate on their running game as they're not the best passing team. Still need the secondary to step up as making them one dimensional will put more pressure on them as it did last yr when we were so good vs the run. Still as I mentioned earlier as to Watson being the most hit QB and us #1 hitting QB's, could bode well for us getting a few to's, just have to contain their run. Be nice if Pedey sticks w/ the run as well and Nick take those deep throws when he can.

I really, really hope the Eagles can beat the Texans. The Texans are a good football team. Watson is a dynamic QB. Their DLine can wreck a game.  If the Eagles don't show up, the last game of the year becomes almost unwatchable preseason football like.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the Eagles game live for the first time in years.  That sucks. But I will record it and analyze it when I get back.  Go EAGLES! 

For what it's worth I think the reason they haven't IR'ed Wentz is if Foles can have another crazy playoff run but gets hurt in the NFC championship game  you wouldn't want Sudfeld to be the starter in the SB.

16 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

For what it's worth I think the reason they haven't IR'ed Wentz is if Foles can have another crazy playoff run but gets hurt in the NFC championship game  you wouldn't want Sudfeld to be the starter in the SB.

GOod point

Foles - Starter or Backup?  It wasn't long ago where folks thought that Howie Rosemen was a trend setter changing the league by recognizing that the success of your season had to do with whether you had a great backup signed that could legitimately pick up the pieces when your starter goes down.  Now all of a sudden things have changed and either Nick won't be happy going forward being a second string QB or Wentz won't be happy if Foles is the starter and he is the backup. What has changed with Foles mentality since last year when he had the opportunity to be a starter for the Browns or the Bucs and turned it down to stay with the Eagles? IMO sports writers have changed the dynamic not Foles or Wentz.  As far as Foles is concerned, To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.  

Said it last yr Wrang - Foles is cut from a different cloth. I would be very happy to pay him the same deal as this yr to be the b/u, believe it was like 7 mill plus 1/2 mill bonus for every game he starts and wins I believe. He will get a few offers to come in and compete for a starting job, for sure he deserves it. Wouldn't be the least surprised if with what he has going in Philly that he chooses to stay. If he chooses to test the waters, I'd leave a door open for him.

I am going to plead ignorance here fans but could someone explain to me why Josh Gordon got in trouble again for smoking weed when it is legal in Massachusetts. Is weed a banned substance in the NFL even in legalized states and is alcohol consumption banned in the NFL as well too?