DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

I can remember when St. Nick was traded to the Rams and a number of Eagles fans on this board were delighted because they were saying that he reached his zenith and would never be a franchise QB. Also said he doesn't get rid of the ball fast enough. LOL Hey I know what thats all about. I wanted to trade Agholor for a box of Tastycakes a couple years ago. But I was in favor of the Jackson trade and McCoy trade as well but I was never in favor of trading Foles. With QB's I believe there are so many taken in the draft by teams that haven't done their homework . If you have an offensive coordinator who is either not intelligent enough to change his offense to accomodate his new QB's skill set or inflexible regarding the change (Jeff Fisher) you are going to have problems. Foles is a perfect example of that. He is very accurate between the hash marks short or deep and short outside passes but not the long outside routes. You are asking for trouble with Nick if you demand him to throw the longer outside passes.  As far as Wentz,I think a lot of his success last year was due to opposing defenses not knowing if he was going to take off and run with the ball. We are playing the Redskins on Sunday so think back to the Redskins game in Philly last year and Wentz's Houdini escape from 4 tacklers and his run down the field!  I thought Jon Gruden was going to go bananas. Wasn't long after that play he threw one of the best passes I ever saw to Clement in the end zone with people hanging all over him.  This year Carson came back too soon. He wasn't able to take off running like he did last year. I'm sure he was begging to get back on the field from the start of the season but Eagles management should have been the adults in the room and kept him out. IMO we were lucky that Wentz didn't get hurt worse than he did. We had offensive linemen hurt most of the year with subs playing and a QB that couldn't get out of his own way. That's usually not a formula for success. Which one of those sacks cracked his back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously Wentz was playing with the injury. It hampered him clearly. But if we get into the postseason I would dress him as the backup. He’s only at 70 percent I’d guess but that still would be the best backup option over Suds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

He had like a year and a half as the starter under chipper before he got traded to the Rams for Bradford 

No excuses he WAS our starter.and we lost CHIP so......

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Obviously Wentz was playing with the injury. It hampered him clearly. But if we get into the postseason I would dress him as the backup. He’s only at 70 percent I’d guess but that still would be the best backup option over Suds.

I agree but Ped wont see it that way.He wants to give Wentz confidence,although is seems to me the team has more confidence in Foles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

No excuses he WAS our starter.and we lost CHIP so......

What I’m confused????? I thought you asked if he was our starter before I answered were you trying to say something different and I misunderstood???? Wasn’t making any excuses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

What I’m confused????? I thought you asked if he was our starter before I answered were you trying to say something different and I misunderstood???? Wasn’t making any excuses

The fact the nitwit Chip traded him does not alter the fact he is a starting caliber QB.Now maybe he doesnt have that flash you want to see,but neither does Alex Smith,but they both manage to win games.Flacco did the same thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

The fact the nitwit Chip traded him does not alter the fact he is a starting caliber QB.Now maybe he doesnt have that flash you want to see,but neither does Alex Smith,but they both manage to win games.Flacco did the same thing

I never debated that he wasn’t a starting caliber QB hence why I think he wants to go be a starter next offseason which I believe he deserves unless you believe we move Wentz and stick with Foles 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not as sure about all that Wrangler. Wentz was in full go ready to practice and then someone rolled up on him and they shut him down. Part of me feels like they should have just let Wentz practice and go from day one this season. That the holding him back actually was part of the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SOOOO the question remains,if Foles leads us fairly deep into post season is he your guy? Like wentz immensely,however as a business decision,you go with the guy that wins games and right now that is Foles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BleedingGreen93 said:

I never debated that he wasn’t a starting caliber QB hence why I think he wants to go be a starter next offseason which I believe he deserves unless you believe we move Wentz and stick with Foles 

IDK what I think right now.We have to wait and see if Foles can continue this hot streak.All I know is we can COME back from games wth Foles and Wentz could not.he was great if we had a lead,but the guy you want is the guy that can play in the clutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

SOOOO the question remains,if Foles leads us fairly deep into post season is he your guy? Like wentz immensely,however as a business decision,you go with the guy that wins games and right now that is Foles

I have asked this Question many times not sure what we do....But again even though I don’t think it is the right move I have the gut feeling that Wentz will start in the playoffs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we spent a round 1 on Wentz.Would he be the first failed round 1 QB ever drated? Now I am all for keeping him around because of his enormous potential,but the here and now tells me Foles is best for this TEAM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that is another question.  What is the average age that an NFL starting QB stops getting better? McNabb was out of the league at age 35. Joe Flacco is on the trading block at soon to be age 34.  Dree Brees is 39 with no slow down in site. Same with 35 year old Aaron Rogers. Brady is 41 I think.  Nick will be 30 in January and Carson is 25. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BleedingGreen93 said:

I have asked this Question many times not sure what we do....But again even though I don’t think it is the right move I have the gut feeling that Wentz will start in the playoffs 

Foles starting vs the skins-another win and you're gonna put Wentz back in? Well thats not my decision,but I know what mine would be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Foles starting vs the skins-another win and you're gonna put Wentz back in? Well thats not my decision,but I know what mine would be

I agree just a gut feeling and I have had it since Wentz went out and Foles went in....Hope I’m wrong but just a gut feeling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 1wrangler said:

Well that is another question.  What is the average age that an NFL starting QB stops getting better? McNabb was out of the league at age 35. Joe Flacco is on the trading block at soon to be age 34.  Dree Brees is 39 with no slow down in site. Same with 35 year old Aaron Rogers. Brady is 41 I think.  Nick will be 30 in January and Carson is 25. 

IDK Wrang.If you look at the longevity,the top QB's "of age" are guys that didnt take brutal hits every week,thus extending their careers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK Wrang.If you look at the longevity,the top QB's "of age" are guys that didnt take brutal hits every week,thus extending their careers

While young guys that got annihilated(see RG3) just dont last long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m not as sure about all that Wrangler. Wentz was in full go ready to practice and then someone rolled up on him and they shut him down. Part of me feels like they should have just let Wentz practice and go from day one this season. That the holding him back actually was part of the problem.

Remember, Ham, Wentz didn't run all year and that is against his nature. If he could have he would have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 1wrangler said:

Remember, Ham, Wentz didn't run all year and that is against his nature. If he could have he would have.

Yeah,but for me  Wentz Now has to "re-prove" himself.at least to me.Our med team blows..... well NM,but we need that whole crew to hit the bricks if they cant IDENTIFY the issues and FIX them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1wrangler said:

Remember, Ham, Wentz didn't run all year and that is against his nature. If he could have he would have.

Kind of goes towards my point. They got in his head that he was injured still. Pedey wasn’t rolling him out even(even when the Oline was having issues). This whole mental limitation thing was going on when he looked like he had rehabbed fantastic and was pretty much ready to roll. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You guys do remember the MVP pace Wentz had going last season? The offense was putting up points by the bushels.

Wentz I believe got hurt on the Qb sneak(dont recall the game) but he got hit hard near the GL(at the 1 as I recall)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You guys do remember the MVP pace Wentz had going last season? The offense was putting up points by the bushels.

You mean the MVP that he still deserved to win that was taken from him....His stats were still better then Brady who won it I believe that year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Wentz I believe got hurt on the Qb sneak(dont recall the game) but he got hit hard near the GL(at the 1 as I recall)

It was a pass that he ran on Dove into the EZ got sandwiched by two rams defenders....Stayed in and still tossed a td pass on the drive before exiting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now