DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-signature-stat-spotlight-cornerbacks-2?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjaff&cjevent=05e32d17159b11e982d2019a0a240614

Maddox did well - just quit biting on double moves, esp outside the hashes where Breese like to go!

Eli Apple on the other hand should be easy pickings.

What's interesting to me is how QB's can last into "middle age" Used to be by 34 you were washed up.Look at all the "old men" at that position.I'm sure rule changes played a role as well as nutrition,medical tech and the like.But then again I think too much. N.O. will have to shop soon,as will the Pats,Cincy,Steelers etc. Appears the Ravens have already moved on(or will soon).Not that I was a fan,but always loved watching Tarkenton play HAHA.I was young, but remember my dad calling him Houdini with a helmet lol

3 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-signature-stat-spotlight-cornerbacks-2?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjaff&cjevent=05e32d17159b11e982d2019a0a240614

Maddox did well - just quit biting on double moves, esp outside the hashes where Breese like to go!

I'm sure Payton is aware that we tend to bite on double moves and I'm sure he will hammer that home to his receivers.This is hard to correct as it's instinctual.Like to see our DB's with more inside position to force Brees to throw to the outside sideline,because Brees is tougher to beat throwing in the middle of the field.Of course you can say the same about any QB,but this is something we can work on 

BTW,so proud of this team.We fought through league leading injury,most games were not "blowouts"(sans last Saints debacle),younger guys stepped up to the plate,we beat some dang fine teams down the stretch when we needed it.Not always pretty,but we did enough.Getting guys back,injured ones are getting stronger every week.Yes despite the odds,we got help from other teams.The Bears got us in,then with a fingertip to beat them the following week, we have gotten to this point. I hear alot of this: "you don't deserve to be there" Really? Then why are we here? People and teams don't get what they want,they get what they deserve,and here we are.Took some GUTS both by players and staff,took some tough work from BU players who refused to back down,it took Foles "ice in his veins",it took Tate coming around at the right time.Maybe some is luck,maybe some is skill,alot of it is hard work and the mentality that we will go down fighting,and yes at times it took some embarrassment and humiliation.And ALL this has culminated in yet another underdog shot at the Lombardi. If we win this game all that STOPS in an instant,and the haters who hate,will be forced to BELIEVE.I am totally convinced we can beat any remaining teams and after 2 losses to Dullaz,I want them BAD!!! IMO this is our SB,this is the toughest team we will face.A revenge game vs Dullaz would be SOOOOO sweet.IMO this is not a revenge game because we were never even in the last one,but it's still a game we can win and suspect after the first games embarrassment,we will be ready to rock them.Dedication,spirit,the best fans in the NFL who refused to "call it a season",the underdog status,the players toughness,a little luck shining down(is this co-incidence?),Sproles working so hard at his age to prove he can play at a high level.It's easy when everything goes your way,but face it,we have fought the uphill battle most of the season.The Saints are ready,WE are ready,the fans on both sides are ready.This is our SB and the Saints know it.This is our SB and the fans know it.This will be  a future "classic" game.I'm as ready as ever.Let's freakin DO THIS!!!!!

GBFL... good stuff.    Some of my thoughts here...

Last time we kinda "snuck in with help"  2008 ... we won 2 playoff games.   

Revenge... etc ... to me doesn't matter really.    It's playoffs.  2 factors matter.    1.  you play for the championship in the playoffs.   2.  You play for the right to play again next week.      Those two factors to me, its enough.  If you love the game and are a competitor, thats the two motivations you need.   I think all the other storylines come into play more in a regular season game.   When its win or go home ... lose and no championship, the other stuff doesn't matter.

What does matter to me though ... the fact that the Eagles already experienced playing in NO.  I think all that comes with it helps.  Even better when looking at how the results played out hte first time.  Easier to study and learn and strategize for this game now.    Best example of this to me was the Giants ruining the perfect season for NE... I think playing them the final week of the regular season helped them a lot in that SB.  
To add to this ... I think instead of extra motivation ... its more extra focus, because the result of the last meeting shows that if we don't bring our A game, we get our arses kicked.  So I believe more attention to detail.   Football is a detail sport.  

Now, what's different to me about this game.   From a neutral perspective, this is the first time in the last two playoffs that I would put the Eagles in my mind as the underdog.  Leading into the playoffs last year, my thoughts were we win the NFC due to our D being the best at home, and then losing to NE.   But after the conference championship weekend (seeing both Eagles vs Minn and NE vs Jax) I thought we were the favorite IMO.   Last week, it was 50-50, I think Chicago was home, but we had experience, game to me is proven to be toss up when it comes down to a FG attempt.  This week, my head says the Saints are the favorite.   The Eagles can win for sure, I will be dissapointed as a fan with my heart if they lose, not so much with my head though.   It won't be like the Tampa situation in 2002 where I still think we should have won that game as the better team.  same with the Raiders loss in 1980 ... or the Carolina loss in 2003.    If we lost last year, it would have fallen into the category with those games.   This year, would be like the Rams 2001.  Opportunity to win, but IMO we weren't the better team at that time.    This makes it a little house money for me.   

Every year, I hate when the Eagles season is done (barring a few years where it was ugly)  I'm gonna enjoy the game Sunday, and biggest selfish motivation for me will be wanting to watch them play next Sunday.  The offseason can wait!

Sheil Kapadia‏Verified account @SheilKapadia

Sheil Kapadia Retweeted Sheil Kapadia

Saints ranked 32nd in DVOA against deep passes, 32nd in yards allowed to outside receivers and 32nd in yards per reception to outside receivers.

3 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Sheil Kapadia‏Verified account @SheilKapadia

Sheil Kapadia Retweeted Sheil Kapadia

Saints ranked 32nd in DVOA against deep passes, 32nd in yards allowed to outside receivers and 32nd in yards per reception to outside receivers.

Good stuff MJK .... further adds to my thinking ... forget about time of possession here... bottom line, we gotta score 7 points when we have the chance, not 3.   And if we can hold them to 3 enough times that works too.     A deep pass for a quick TD is fine with me.   Brees can drive it for 7 minutes and kick a FG.   Then we can throw another deep pass for a quick 7.    I like 14-3 in favor of the Eagles.   I also think the deep shots will then help open up the ball control game later.   I would love to win the first quarter and go from there .  

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

GBFL... good stuff.    Some of my thoughts here...

Last time we kinda "snuck in with help"  2008 ... we won 2 playoff games.   

Revenge... etc ... to me doesn't matter really.    It's playoffs.  2 factors matter.    1.  you play for the championship in the playoffs.   2.  You play for the right to play again next week.      Those two factors to me, its enough.  If you love the game and are a competitor, thats the two motivations you need.   I think all the other storylines come into play more in a regular season game.   When its win or go home ... lose and no championship, the other stuff doesn't matter.

What does matter to me though ... the fact that the Eagles already experienced playing in NO.  I think all that comes with it helps.  Even better when looking at how the results played out hte first time.  Easier to study and learn and strategize for this game now.    Best example of this to me was the Giants ruining the perfect season for NE... I think playing them the final week of the regular season helped them a lot in that SB.  
To add to this ... I think instead of extra motivation ... its more extra focus, because the result of the last meeting shows that if we don't bring our A game, we get our arses kicked.  So I believe more attention to detail.   Football is a detail sport.  

Now, what's different to me about this game.   From a neutral perspective, this is the first time in the last two playoffs that I would put the Eagles in my mind as the underdog.  Leading into the playoffs last year, my thoughts were we win the NFC due to our D being the best at home, and then losing to NE.   But after the conference championship weekend (seeing both Eagles vs Minn and NE vs Jax) I thought we were the favorite IMO.   Last week, it was 50-50, I think Chicago was home, but we had experience, game to me is proven to be toss up when it comes down to a FG attempt.  This week, my head says the Saints are the favorite.   The Eagles can win for sure, I will be dissapointed as a fan with my heart if they lose, not so much with my head though.   It won't be like the Tampa situation in 2002 where I still think we should have won that game as the better team.  same with the Raiders loss in 1980 ... or the Carolina loss in 2003.    If we lost last year, it would have fallen into the category with those games.   This year, would be like the Rams 2001.  Opportunity to win, but IMO we weren't the better team at that time.    This makes it a little house money for me.   

Every year, I hate when the Eagles season is done (barring a few years where it was ugly)  I'm gonna enjoy the game Sunday, and biggest selfish motivation for me will be wanting to watch them play next Sunday.  The offseason can wait!

In a way,we kind of balance out.Although I am logical(or try to be which at times I fail at lol),I am more emotional about it than you.Love the fact you can spout off stats at will.I'm jealous of that and you do a great job and have a wonderful memory/ability.Most times I let my heart get in the way ,but you know,it takes fans of all colors.Stats are great,but once you hit the playoffs that is tablula rasa IMO.Don't care if you have 3,000 rushing yards on the season,because you can easily go from hero to zero at playoff time.Stats don't win games.IMO view it's heart and will and guts and pushing yourself past your limitations and all those"intangibles" you can't see.We know the players have the skills or they wouldn't be there.It's who wants it the most and my belief is we do.We were written off last year,what happened? It's even worse this year,but yet again we are making it happen.Saints are no slouch,I am not that delusional.It will take everything we have and I know that as well.We love being the dogs and we respond when we are.Don't see this as being different this week.Should be as I said a classic game.Just think once again we will "do enough".Foles is fine in a dome,players are maybe the healthiest we have seen all year.We have the motivation.Payton tried to keep his team fired up,but sorry I don't think thats enough to stop us 🙂

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Good stuff MJK .... further adds to my thinking ... forget about time of possession here... bottom line, we gotta score 7 points when we have the chance, not 3.   And if we can hold them to 3 enough times that works too.     A deep pass for a quick TD is fine with me.   Brees can drive it for 7 minutes and kick a FG.   Then we can throw another deep pass for a quick 7.    I like 14-3 in favor of the Eagles.   I also think the deep shots will then help open up the ball control game later.   I would love to win the first quarter and go from there .  

Quick scores early YES!! And as you said would like to put them in a place where THEY have to comeback.Brees is good at it,but think our D can hold out.Their run D is good and as 58 pointed out the pass D isnt.We beat them through the air.Give Foles the time and he will kill you just like Brees would

4 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

I have been saying that for awhile now. LOL You just reaffirmed it with the facts of the matter. I was doing it solely on memory! LOL That brings up another aspect of the first game in New Orleans. I can't remember Wentz throwing deep one time in that game. Maybe others can correct me if I am wrong. It leads me to believe that Wentz was unable to throw deep in that game and maybe others as well. Surely the Eagles coaches knew that the Saints just picked up Apple and also knew that Agholor burnt his butt in the past yet no deep passes thrown his way. I have to believe that Wentz was hurt for a lot longer than was let on.

1 minute ago, 1wrangler said:

I have been saying that for awhile now. LOL You just reaffirmed it with the facts of the matter. I was doing it solely on memory! LOL That brings up another aspect of the first game in New Orleans. I can't remember Wentz throwing deep one time in that game. Maybe others can correct me if I am wrong. It leads me to believe that Wentz was unable to throw deep in that game and maybe others as well. Surely the Eagles coaches knew that the Saints just picked up Apple and also knew that Agholor burnt his butt in the past yet no deep passes thrown his way. I have to believe that Wentz was hurt for a lot longer than was let on.

You have a memory? Wow now I'm jealous again HAHAHA.Saints game last time was just a breakdown on all levels,even defensively.Now that we know more,this time will be different.Foles will take his shots,he has to,it's ALL OUT

BTW Wrang,if they put apple on AG,it will be a long afternoon for them.But look at who else they have to find a way to cover.Tate,Jeffrey,Ertz. Sorry,they just dont have the manpower to do it in my view.Foles has been great at the fast reads and deliveries and this will kill off the Saints

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

You have a memory? Wow now I'm jealous again HAHAHA.Saints game last time was just a breakdown on all levels,even defensively.Now that we know more,this time will be different.Foles will take his shots,he has to,it's ALL OUT

Yep I have a memory but it usually only pertains to football. Normally I can't tell you what I had for lunch but I can tell you that Mike Evans had a 50 yard TD against Lattimore in the first meeting against the Saints. Jackson had a 36 yard reception and a 58 yard TD as well in the same game. The 36 yard reception was against their other CB and the 58 yard TD was against that same CB and the Safety who was helping out. How's that for a guy who is going to be 66 on his next birthday?

2 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Yep I have a memory but it usually only pertains to football. Normally I can't tell you what I had for lunch but I can tell you that Mike Evans had a 50 yard TD against Lattimore in the first meeting against the Saints. Jackson had a 36 yard reception and a 58 yard TD as well in the same game. The 36 yard reception was against their other CB and the 58 yard TD was against that same CB and the Safety who was helping out. How's that for a guy who is going to be 66 on his next birthday?

OHH Iam SO there lol

SMH if we use Adams at all this game.VS Bears he had ONE snap all game. Sproles is back and think he will do some damage.Saints use Kamara like Dullaz usese Zeke.Lots of passes to him in the flat.Our LB's will have to be smart

Also think we with a little creative play calling we can get some running plays on mis-direction.Really need to STOP running Sproles up the middle

There is going to be some decisions going forward with our corner backs. I had Darby out the door because of his free agency and him probably getting offers for more than he showed he was worth. Of course the Acl injury comes along and now what kind of good offers is he going to get? I say he could be back for another year being paid like his rookie contract. Not even sure when he could take the field if he returned so other people will continue to gain experience. Of course if Jones ever gets back to normal we have him on the field too. I am more concerned with him getting healthy than proving me right in taking him.  At the present time Jones is more like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. His strong suit coming out in the draft was that he was ranked as the best man to man coverage  CB in the draft.  I thought that was what our defensive coordinator was looking for . Apparently I was incorrect since he was playing him zone most of the time while he was in the lineup. I only saw him play man to man a couple times while playing the slot or nickel back. Anyway we may not even have to select a CB in the draft this year with the guys that are already on the roster and getting playing time.  Maybe this draft can be both lines, linebacker and running back. 

22 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Yeah, I believe Wentz threw deep for 2 of his INTs.  Stop with Foles throwing deep and Wentz doesn't.    Wentz threw deep a few times.. just like Foles.   Foles uses the restroom just like WEntz too.   Wentz to Agholor vs Dallas in the 4th quarter of the last game he played!  ... Wentz to Alshon vs Carolina.   We forget Foles throwing 25 passes in a row... like 21 of them were about 5 yards or less downfield.   That's Doug's offense.   Like I said all year, I don't believe Doug had a great year with calling plays or philosophy.   I also think they were missing a deep threat, the experienced RB .... and as Ham says, the players available could have been effecting Doug's play calls?   who knows?  

I'll wager $1000 to anyone right now... if they took Wentz and Foles and just made them throw a ball... Wentz would throw it farther.   Too much overthinking here... which probably is what Doug did.... 17 point lead in hte 4th quarter ... one rushing attempt.   Overthinking gets you in trouble.   This game... forget the thinking and let it fly downfield baby!    

@Joe - No question from me who can throw the deeper ball and get that deeper ball to all parts of the field more accurate. That would be Wentz, however WR Jeffery has already made the statement that Foles throws the easier deep ball to catch. Take that for what its worth.

I wish that I could be as optimistic as you guys about the game vs the Aints.  The Eagles have to make up FORTY ONE points just to be even.  FORTY ONE! The Eagles have scored 48 points exactly ZERO times this season.  and they need to score 49!

The Aints defense is better than many of you think.  They got serious penetration in that first game knocking Wentz off his platform and game A LOT!  I won't be near as nervous for this game as I have no expectation that they will win.  I have TONS of hope, but hope only goes so far.  It would be freaking awesome if they can beat the Saints.  Freaking awesome!  They will have to play their best game of the season by far and lucky bounces and interceptions and tips and fumbles will have to go their way for a win to happen.  The Saints are the better team.  The Eagles have to ban together and find a way!  Foles has to play absolutely STELLAR in this game.

38 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

In a way,we kind of balance out.Although I am logical(or try to be which at times I fail at lol),I am more emotional about it than you.Love the fact you can spout off stats at will.I'm jealous of that and you do a great job and have a wonderful memory/ability.Most times I let my heart get in the way ,but you know,it takes fans of all colors.Stats are great,but once you hit the playoffs that is tablula rasa IMO.Don't care if you have 3,000 rushing yards on the season,because you can easily go from hero to zero at playoff time.Stats don't win games.IMO view it's heart and will and guts and pushing yourself past your limitations and all those"intangibles" you can't see.We know the players have the skills or they wouldn't be there.It's who wants it the most and my belief is we do.We were written off last year,what happened? It's even worse this year,but yet again we are making it happen.Saints are no slouch,I am not that delusional.It will take everything we have and I know that as well.We love being the dogs and we respond when we are.Don't see this as being different this week.Should be as I said a classic game.Just think once again we will "do enough".Foles is fine in a dome,players are maybe the healthiest we have seen all year.We have the motivation.Payton tried to keep his team fired up,but sorry I don't think thats enough to stop us 🙂

GBFL... not worried about stats here.    For yesterday .... you lose me when you mention Burton and Ertz in the same sentence.  Then worry about outlet pass when the Chicago TEs had 5 catches ... that would have been Burton ... 3 catches for 40 yards is his game.     Moving on to last year vs this year,    I don;t really cre or pay attention to what other people think about my team.    I had the Eagles favored in my mind to win the NFC the minute we beat Oakland to clinch homefield.    For 2 years, our D was awesome at home.    This year ... I don't care who else thinks anything... to me, the eye test is that the Saints are the better team... play the game 10 times and they win 6 or more... we only need to win Sunday though, it can be our day, and it's by far a Villanova/ Georgetown or USA vs USSR hockey situation...  its very doable for sure.  

Last year ... I stick by it to the grave.   We were the best team in 2018 ... no luck in winning it ... if we played NE 10 times, I think we win 6 or 7.  If the game was 8 quarters we would have put up 100 points.  Just how I feel.   The emotion for me is just during the games, and a littel afterwards.  Logic kicks in, only time things linger for me is if I legit thought we were the better team and lost.  Hasn't been that way since Carolina 2003 for me.    

1 minute ago, senhorcook said:

I wish that I could be as optimistic as you guys about the game vs the Aints.  The Eagles have to make up FORTY ONE points just to be even.  FORTY ONE! The Eagles have scored 48 points exactly ZERO times this season.  and they need to score 49!

The Aints defense is better than many of you think.  They got serious penetration in that first game knocking Wentz off his platform and game A LOT!  I won't be near as nervous for this game as I have no expectation that they will win.  I have TONS of hope, but hope only goes so far.  It would be freaking awesome if they can beat the Saints.  Freaking awesome!  They will have to play their best game of the season by far and lucky bounces and interceptions and tips and fumbles will have to go their way for a win to happen.  The Saints are the better team.  The Eagles have to ban together and find a way!  Foles has to play absolutely STELLAR in this game.

Hey Cookster, You are forgetting takeaway's. We have been getting more of them since Maddox , Douglas and Sullivan have been playing than we got with Darby , Mills and etc. Brees has thrown at least 7 interceptions against the Eagles in regular season games. I'm not sure about the playoff game. He is 4 wins and 3 losses against the Eagles lifetime in regular season games. The Eagles didn't get any picks against him in the last game so they are due.

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

@Joe - No question from me who can throw the deeper ball and get that deeper ball to all parts of the field more accurate. That would be Wentz, however WR Jeffery has already made the statement that Foles throws the easier deep ball to catch. Take that for what its worth.

Oh absolutely Foles throws the easier ball to catch.   The guy with the weaker arm usually throws the easier ball to catch.  I would wager Alshon would say Foles throws the easier screen pass to catch also   And everything inbetween.