DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Oh and just another interesting fact from that 2008 Titans team: Kerry Collins went to the Pro Bowl that year as their QB having thrown a whole twelve TDs...hahaha Collins has his career TD season throwing 21 TDs for the giants. Of coarse he threw 20 interceptions that season also LOL F*c7 the giants!

Alright I’m done with useless historic stats for the evening(mic drop)

11 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

So who was the source(s) for this article?

There are 3 possibilities 

1. It was just made up, there's a lot of that going around lately

2. There actually is a source but they're too gutless to let their name be known

3. The author took comments out of context to try to stir up crap. Also a lot of that going on lately.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Who’s the best secondary combination Schwartz has had? I really can’t think of much he’s had to work with. McKelvin, Brooks, C Graham and Darby he’s had to work with multiple times and places. He had Darius Slay for his rookie season in Detroit. I can’t remember who he had in Tennessee.

Finnegan in Tenn. was pretty damn good....Pretty sure he had Darby and Gilmore his 1 year in buffalo 

2 hours ago, trini said:

I gotta believe this is gonna be a Defensive Draft. I get we need lots of Depth players, I would go D line, LB with first three picks even if we keep Bennett, Cox needs help so he doesn’t wear down by seasons end. Those young Dallas LB’ers are impressive and show how effective the are against the run from sideline to sideline. Hicks might be gone. He may not get what he wants from the Birds I suspect Howie may look for a team friendly deal with Hicks, if any deal at all. Who steps up at LB, Guice, Elliott, Barkley, I want Lev Bell, I won’t be surprised if we kick the tires on Kareem Hunt...NO doubt he will be back after punishment...gotta get better LB support.

I'd kick something on Hunt,but it's not his tires

2 hours ago, senhorcook said:

How in the world did the refs OVERTURN the Edelman punt muff? There was definitely NOT CLEAR evidence that he did NOT touch the ball.

And then the refs let STAY the Hogan Patriots WR catch that CLEARLY hit the ground and was NOT controlled at that point. 

Both calls were missed and led to MUCH conspiracy theory speculation afterwards.

Edelman-it WAS clear to me he did NOT touch it(although he tried).Key on the Hogan play was "control going to the ground" That was an "iffy" one so I could see it your way too

8 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

First round) Marquise ‘Hollywood’ Brown. WR Oklahoma. We need that 4.3 speed guy. You can’t wait to get that later. Antonio Brown’s cousin. He improved steadily during college. 

Second Round) Chris Lindstrom G at Boston College. https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/05/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-chris-lindstrom/  Boston College wasn’t pass happy so he needs to learn more there. He shows the ability to dominate in this area though. Definitely a mauling engaging run blocker. One of my favorite Olineman in this draft. Would be our top G to start 2019 with major upside for the future.

Second Round) Tre Lemar LB Clemson. 6’3” 238 pounder. He has good speed and coverage ability.  Fluid hips for coverage even though he wasn’t asked to do a bunch of that at Clemson.

Lamar is a solid defender in the ground game. He doesn't hesitate to take on blocks and doesn't try to run around them. Lamar reads his keys quickly and flows to the ball. Lamar possesses nice pursuit speed and is adept at working his way through trash to get in on plays. He is a good tackler who has the strength to wrap up ball-carriers and get them to the ground. Lamar is an attacking linebacker who comes downhill, and his tackles set up a lot of good down-and-distance situations. He is not a linebacker who racks up cheap tackles downfield, taken from Walter Football. And he has big game experience.

Third Round)Juan Thornhill FS from UVA. "Versatility – Has played everywhere you can possible play on defense outside of the defensive line. Often used at linebacker, playing in the box and reading keys to come downhill against the run, although I wouldn’t say that’s his strongest suit. Played cornerback for a couple of years, has seen time in the slot as well. Consistently reliable in deep coverage as well.” From Draft Network. Really good for covering TEs. Has size and speed combo. Corner turned S that they used as LB also. So versatile and experienced. Smart player that loves the film study.

Fifth round) Beau Benschawel G from Wisconsin. 6’5” 315 pounder. He also has T and TE potential. Part of the Oline that dominated all season in the Big Ten. Limited a great Miami pass rush to one sack. While mauling their way to a huge rushing performance.

Sixth Round)Daniel Wise DT  6’3” 290 pounder. Pass rushing DT fits our scheme. But he is scheme versatile that can do many things. I hate to bring up the enemies scouting report but he’s getting noticed at the Shrine Bowl.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/1/17/18185878/2019-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-daniel-wise-dt-kansas-scouting-report-analysis-ny-giants

Sixth Round) Trey Pipkins OT 6’6” 305 lb. He’s that sleeper T from Sioux Falls. But he’s showing that lining up with the big boys this postseason that he stacks up. Bit of a project but not of the Mailata extremes. Good feet and anchor. Showing he has the ability to kick slide/step for pass pro. 

Alright so I pulled a bit of pick trading. Figured it would give a more balanced representation since it’s really hard to judge draft positions just yet. Big time defensive draft but I pulled the O players out of the rough. This gives us the O burner weapon we’ve been searching for years. Gets us an every down LB to build around for the future. S to come right in a contribute day one. And this would be the draft that set our Oline up for years.

Not bad,although doubt we  wait until 6 for  DT and OT,no reason IMO to take 2 G's at this point either.I will check out Thornhill,see if he's better than my pick D'Cota Dixon

2 hours ago, ASG15 said:

So who was the source(s) for this article?

There are 3 possibilities 

1. It was just made up, there's a lot of that going around lately

2. There actually is a source but they're too gutless to let their name be known

3. The author took comments out of context to try to stir up crap. Also a lot of that going on lately.

Any article with "annonymous" sources belongs on the bottom of a bird cage.If you haven't the balls to put your name on it,DONT PRINT IT!!!!

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. I think when struggling in the secondary it’s hard to rush more than four. The more the DBs can handle individually it opens up the opportunities to blitz more. I’d also add in a great coverage LB could help the blitzing opportunities as well. And that LB could allow more base 4-3 looks as well. Give me a LB and a S and that base really expands its snaps. 

Please tell this to coach Schwartz ... he rushes 4 guys.   Kinda been doing it for a while now.   I agree with every single word you just said myself, but I don't call the plays.   Our DC lives and dies with 4 man rush... no shot we don't draft DL early this year.   But I also think we either resign Graham or get another vet in there too.  

DBs are interesting to me... McCloud most likely cant get cut until after June 1.. do they cut him or do they redo his deal?  Does Maddux go play safety next year... what about Mills?   Douglas, I like on the outside or near the line, I think he could eventually take Jenkins role.  But interesting on how they handle their current guys.  Lots of youth there, room for growth. 

4 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

It’s a Schwartz thing to only rush 4 guys though never been much of a blitzing coach...At least I think that is what Joe is coming from 

BINGO ... 100%

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

That was BG’s mock pick at 25

Problem is I’ve been seeing him at 12-16. But who knows at this point of things? I can’t get but so serious about the actual draft position until after the official combine results. Then you still have Pro Days to move a few things. But Wilkins has been considered top half of the first round since before the season started if I recall. Clelin Ferrell was the Clemson DE that’s also amazing. I have Ferrell even higher though. Watch his tape. Clemson is so full of talent just try and watch a few games if you can. I mocked their LB even. Lawrence is a massive DT beast that can move also. National Champs...and that pipeline is strong. 

16 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

If you believe any/every thing in that Santoliquito hit piece, well, I have a few bridges to offer you.

4 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Do you sense the same agenda? 

16 hours ago, joemas6 said:

This particular guy too... already sounds like he has agenda vs Wentz.    The Ertz thing gives it away for me.  It doesn't take a genius to go look up Zach Ertz targets by game.  You see the numbers and realize it would take 142 passes for Ertz to get one more target from Wentz over Foles.   Yet not mention of the 16 targets Ertz got in Foles only above average game of 2018 vs Houston?    No mention of the INT vs the Rams, up 17 in hte 4th Q and forcing it to Ertz?   No mention of the INT vs the Saints while throwing to Ertz, another momentum changer? 

Fans can have agendas, reporters are supposed to not cherry pick facts to make an argument, report everything within context.  he got his 15 minutes of fame though.  

Basically the article basis all info on about 6-7 guys in the locker room. You tell me that a team has all 53 that get along and hold hands & I tell you that you are full of it. All will never get along. There is always someone who does not like this or that person. Nature of the beast. There were probably some that said that. Who cares? Seriously? Wentz is going into his 4th year and will have only his second full Pre season to prepare. I expect big things out of him this season. It should quiet the reporters and players and coaches and the fans.... Just accept the article as a few are not totally all in on Wentz. Most are still in his corner and that is all that counts.

7 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Problem is I’ve been seeing him at 12-16. But who knows at this point of things? I can’t get but so serious about the actual draft position until after the official combine results. Then you still have Pro Days to move a few things. But Wilkins has been considered top half of the first round since before the season started if I recall. Clelin Ferrell was the Clemson DE that’s also amazing. I have Ferrell even higher though. Watch his tape. Clemson is so full of talent just try and watch a few games if you can. I mocked their LB even. Lawrence is a massive DT beast that can move also. National Champs...and that pipeline is strong. 

Yeah I like Kendall Joseph from Clemson also(LB)

9 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

I don't have as big of deal with the Carson Wentz isn't clutch article as everyone else. In 1 score games he has a losing record it's hard to debate those numbers. Look at your clutch QBs you expect that if they have the ball in their hands at the end of the game that they come back to win the game. Wentz hasn't been able to do that so far. He has 4 come from behind victories in the 4th quarter and overtime. Granted that's because we didn't play from behind much last year but when he needs to make the plays he doesn't the majority of the time. I still love Wentz and think that will change but thus far in his career when playing from behind late in games he has not been clutch.

24 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

I don't have as big of deal with the Carson Wentz isn't clutch article as everyone else. In 1 score games he has a losing record it's hard to debate those numbers. Look at your clutch QBs you expect that if they have the ball in their hands at the end of the game that they come back to win the game. Wentz hasn't been able to do that so far. He has 4 come from behind victories in the 4th quarter and overtime. Granted that's because we didn't play from behind much last year but when he needs to make the plays he doesn't the majority of the time. I still love Wentz and think that will change but thus far in his career when playing from behind late in games he has not been clutch.

I agree.... but are you giving him any nicknames due to this?   The half facts on the targets and everything else come into play.   The Ertz thing especially.  He has to compare targets from both QBs to make it relevant... he intentionally avoids this.  

I'll use an example... people last year complaining how Foles was awful vs the Raiders & Dallas... looking to play Sudfeld in the playoffs.  They forgot to compare him to the opposing QB in each game.  The weather had a negative effect on all of them, that's relevant when trying to compare someone at a certain position.  Sure Wentz targeted Ertz a ton, Foles did too, including 16 times in his only real good game vs Houston. 

Look at how news is being accepted in today's world.  The Kentucky kids being a perfect example of people jumping on a story without all the facts.  This smells of  the same thing in order to back up an agenda this guy has against Wentz, the trade for Wentz, for Foles or maybe even anti Eagles?   Who knows.   He got his 15 minutes though.  

24 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I agree.... but are you giving him any nicknames due to this?   The half facts on the targets and everything else come into play.   The Ertz thing especially.  He has to compare targets from both QBs to make it relevant... he intentionally avoids this.  

I'll use an example... people last year complaining how Foles was awful vs the Raiders & Dallas... looking to play Sudfeld in the playoffs.  They forgot to compare him to the opposing QB in each game.  The weather had a negative effect on all of them, that's relevant when trying to compare someone at a certain position.  Sure Wentz targeted Ertz a ton, Foles did too, including 16 times in his only real good game vs Houston. 

Look at how news is being accepted in today's world.  The Kentucky kids being a perfect example of people jumping on a story without all the facts.  This smells of  the same thing in order to back up an agenda this guy has against Wentz, the trade for Wentz, for Foles or maybe even anti Eagles?   Who knows.   He got his 15 minutes though.  

Did I mention anything besides the fact that he is at this point has not been a clutch QB. Did I agree with any of the other statements that he said. Do I think he targets Ertz to much, at times I do think he gets stuck on Ertz but when you have a WR/TE of his caliber you take your chances even when they are covered. I criticize more for not leading receivers and throwing the ball low and at receivers feet consistently. If he would hit them in stride we would move the ball so much better.

4 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Did I mention anything besides the fact that he is at this point has not been a clutch QB. Did I agree with any of the other statements that he said. Do I think he targets Ertz to much, at times I do think he gets stuck on Ertz but when you have a WR/TE of his caliber you take your chances even when they are covered. I criticize more for not leading receivers and throwing the ball low and at receivers feet consistently. If he would hit them in stride we would move the ball so much better.

Right ... like he did before he tore his knee.  I agree.