DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

For me... 242 points in 11 games for Wentz = 22 points per game exactly.    

In the 7 games Foles played they scored 155 points .... 154 points would be exactly 22 points.     1 extra point in 7 games

Whatever the problem was with the offense in 2018 .. the same results with both QBs kinda leads me to believe there were other issues.  

Your math is wrong what Wentz did in 11 games Foles did in 7 he was more efficient with the same team. With less of a running game but he did have a team with most of the season over so more coaching and a full arsenal in the passing game. 

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

DWD, so forget bidding war for a second.   Lets go with the fact it Foles who has the $2 mil incentive to find a team that he likes.   Lets go with him getting a calling from above on where to go.    So he finds the team first so that he doesn't have to buy the free agency.   That takes out a bidding war.  

If you buy the guys get a calling from above BS. I got some prime land for you God blessed it and visits from time to time you can just feel him here.

44 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

If you buy the guys get a calling from above BS. I got some prime land for you God blessed it and visits from time to time you can just feel him here.

All good ... we agree to disagree.  Foles will go where he wants, he'll try to get his new team to save him $2mil   Hs leverage would be visiting another team.   The Eagles don't really need to do much here... they get $2 of cap space and pick #97 next year.  Foles needs to get the tem he wants to play for to give it up.

As for my math .... not really... the points are the points.   You don't style points.   and I would argue everything was set up for Foles better than Wentz.   1. He had a full offseason to go in as the starter.   2.  Over all he faced the worse defenses as far as scoring, even taking into consideration the Bears and Saints if you acverage it all out.    The Eagles D gave him the ball 10 times in 7 games as compared to 9 times in 11 games for Wentz.   He had Sproles or Ajayi the whole time, Wentz had 7 games without eithe Sproles or Ajayi.     Wentz had to get Adams, Alshon, Matthews, Sproles and Tate in their first games in the offense... Foles got them at the end after being in for a while.   

To me... Foles should have gotten more than 0.14 points per game.    Foles had the one best game vs Houston, Wentz had the one worst game vs the Saints... everything in between... ehh.   More issues than the QB.   I like Foles.  Good luck with his next team that will need him to go through 16 games... the good and the bad.   He handles the good well, we'll see how he performs when things aren't going well.   Either way, if you give us a pick for him, i'll take it.  Foles deserves a chance to prove people wrong about him lasting the whole season. Wish him well, but if/when he fails.   I'll take him back as our #2 any time.  No issue with that.  Perfect back up in our system.  

All that isn’t really accurate. We limped into the season. Ajayi got hurt in preseason. Wallace never developed a chemistry with his new QB before getting injured. Alshon didn’t suit up to start the season. Sproles got injured off the bat. So the gameplan was pretty screwed up for Foles to start the season. All he had was Ertz and Agholor. And the Oline was struggling.

That’s not equal to when Alshon was back...and we added JMatt....and we added Tate. So I’d say the weakest offense to try and command was clearly the first two weeks of the season. I’m just saying if you want to try and apples to apples compare...

But Nick Foles isn’t that great. Love him for getting us the SB victory! Love him for keeping the dream alive this season. He’s had some very good moments. And it seems any player in the league would take his back and go to war with him.

I wasn’t happy with the WR Coach this year. I wasn’t happy with the medical staff this year. I am happy with Groh taking over at OC. But he never had that job before. Had/have to expect a learning curve. That hurt some to start the season no doubt. I do believe he’s an excellent coach though. I believe we saw him and Pedey work through some issues this season.  Came out the backend smarter stonger and more cohesive from the experience.

5 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But Nick Foles isn’t that great. Love him for getting us the SB victory! Love him for keeping the dream alive this season. He’s had some very good moments. And it seems any player in the league would take his back and go to war with him.

I would definitely rather have Wentz going forward but you can't argue. As an offense we played our best with Foles as our QB this season. Foles looked like a better QB then Wentz this year. I believe that Wentz is and will be the better QB though. I think Foles is a great QB but Wentz has the potential to be a legend. 

"The other thing too is, guess what?" Santoliquito said. "I'm the best thing Carson Wentz has ever had going for him. You don't think this is gonna piss him off even more? You don't think this is gonna motivate him even more, to stick this up someone's little tail and just say, 'Hey listen pal, you're wrong. Everybody else that believes what you said you wrote was wrong.' I can see it now. I can see Jason Kelce in his mummer's outfit calling me out like he called out Lombardi last year. If the Eagles turn around and have a 14-2 season, make a run, who knows? Who knows that this very—well I'm not going to say very negative—situation that has been brought to light, they can't turn into a positive. And I feel very strongly about that."

https://94wip.radio.com/santoliquito-wentz-death-threats

:rolleyes: no, this guy isn't full of himself or anything.

42 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

I would definitely rather have Wentz going forward but you can't argue. As an offense we played our best with Foles as our QB this season. Foles looked like a better QB then Wentz this year. I believe that Wentz is and will be the better QB though. I think Foles is a great QB but Wentz has the potential to be a legend. 

Except the part where Doug and Groh talked about backing off some things and going back to basics before they even knew the extent of Wentz's back injury.

We aren't gonna hear anything about the Eagles plans until after the SB

Like any other fan I have my wish list for the offense.

1. A big RB that can get us a yard or 2 then needed.

2. The FO needs to have an honest look at the strength and conditioning coaches. There were far too many soft tissue injuries.

3. JP comes back for 1 more season BUT to play at guard especially since Brooks won't be available until mid season. The second part of this is for Mailata to progress far enough to take over the LT position. It also gives them the opportunity to move Seumalo to center if Kelce decides to retire

I still have to give some thought to the wish list for the D

ASG would you consider bringing Leggarrette Blount back? Not sure anybody fits the bill better than him. Detroit paid him two mil this season and he’s a free agent again.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

ASG would you consider bringing Leggarrette Blount back? Not sure anybody fits the bill better than him. Detroit paid him two mil this season and he’s a free agent again.

If he has anything left, yes.

IMHO it was a mistake to let him go.

6 hours ago, joemas6 said:

For me... 242 points in 11 games for Wentz = 22 points per game exactly.    

In the 7 games Foles played they scored 155 points .... 154 points would be exactly 22 points.     1 extra point in 7 games

Whatever the problem was with the offense in 2018 .. the same results with both QBs kinda leads me to believe there were other issues.  

Well one issue I saw, was lack of that RB threat.OK the guys we had/have are good(in fact a few I picked for us),but they are nothing extra speical you need to game plan for without that "guy you need to stop".Small's is ok,but let's face it he's no Ajayi or Blount as we had in the past

6 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

The Bengals could be a surprise spot, they may be ready to move on from Andy Dalton.

Yep,they are in the same division as Mayfield,Jackson,big Ben(who is also getting up there).Would not shock me if they made a play for Foles and also hit one at draft time.AB for Foles possible?

9 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well one issue I saw, was lack of that RB threat.OK the guys we had/have are good(in fact a few I picked for us),but they are nothing extra speical you need to game plan for without that "guy you need to stop".Small's is ok,but let's face it he's no Ajayi or Blount as we had in the past

SRY wrote this after reading page 289/290 didnt see other comments later,but I concur we missed that banger back. We got creative enough to cover that MOSTLY,but not always

7 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

AB for Foles possible?

No, it's not possible because the Eagles would be taking on $15 million+ in AB's salary, they'd be paying AB and Alshon near $30 million, that's not happening.

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

No, it's not possible because the Eagles would be taking on $15 million+ in AB's salary, they'd be paying AB and Alshon near $30 million, that's not happening.

It was a shot lol

Bleedinggreennation has a statistical analysis of the season. Really showed how middle of the road the offense was. And how the defense played that bend but don’t break style to a T. Gave up a bunch of yards but were very good on third down and in the red zone. Tackling was a big problem area.

Ryquell Armstead (Temple) should be our pick for rb this draft. I don't care where he's projected we need to draft him, the kid can ball. Runs hard, good vision, and has good getaway speed. I feel he'll be better in the Nfl than he was in College 

Why do many of you think the Eagles will get anything for Foles beyond the Comp pick?  Use your brain and not your heart.

I'd take Blount back in a heartbeat!

I like the idea of Mailata, but how can any of us be sure that he is even going to make it as a STARTING LT in the NFL?  HIGH expectations for a guy that was introduced to the game last year.

Sudfield?  Gotta say I don't really care.  The coaches know what he is so they will decide what he is worth and what he is not worth.  If, yes a big if, Wentz stays healthy, it doesn't matter anyway.

And DWD makes a point.  The EYE test showed that Foles (last four games) played better than Wentz throughout the season.  Stats or no stats, the eye test of offensive functionality, Foles played better.  Foles trusts his guys to make plays.  Wentz isn't necessarily there yet.  That trust also has Foles throwing some boneheaded interceptions, which Wentz usually avoids. However, it also provides a needed spark sometimes.   Although it is a VERY fine line.  For example, Wentz forced the deep ball into triple coverage at least twice this past season.  It seemed uncharacteristic of him and he FORCED it.  That is NOT what is meant by trusting your guy to make a play.  I thought Brees throwing the deep ball this past Sunday to Ginn near the end of the game was a risk.....but somewhat calculated as the defender appeared to be playing man and had his back turned.  That is a calculated trust your guy to make a play.

That leads me to another thing I see here a lot.  No offense, but when you get mad that the DBs are not turning around to find the ball, you should first try to play against this caliber of WR.  If you are playing man coverage, how  in the world are you going to know every time when the ball is coming? The split second you think you know and turn your head, the guy you are covering just turned up field and catches a 70 yard TD.  Playing the ball, specifically getting their head around, when they are in man coverage at the perfect time is next to impossible.....to be successful.  Eric Berry covering Gronk. He is one of the best safeties in the league.  Didn't happen did it.  Why? It's just not that easy.  Easy for us to say; not easy for them to do.  Not everyone can be Patrick Peterson, et al.