DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

I agree but Berry injured his Achilles week 1 2017. Had his heel flare up in training camp this year. Only played in two games this season. Played injured at that. Then sat out the last game of the regular season. Still couldn’t go against the Colts in the playoffs. Then suited up to play the Pats. I can’t crush a guy that’s played in two games in two seasons because he didn’t turn around looking for the ball. He was playing injured at that moment also as the news is that he is getting surgery on his heel this offseason.

And ‘58 I’m not disagreeing with your technique and concept...just can’t throw Berry under that bus. He’s a picture of a guy gutting it out through injury to try and take down the Pats. I respect the he77 out of that guy!

6 hours ago, senhorcook said:

You extend your arm out to "feel" the WR that is now long gone while you are trying to "feel" him. IN the meantime, you turn your head and the ball is short and guess what happens 100% of the time, ok 99%, Pass Interference because you just ran over the WR coming back for the ball that you are no longer looking at because you are now trying to find the ball.....all while running full speed. Because you have no idea when the QB has released the ball.  And the rules make it so that if the DB grabs the jersey at all to "feel" the WR, it's an easy holding penalty and automatic First Down.  I'm just saying that if it were easy to do, EVERY SINGLE DB in the NFL would do it THAT way.  Very few have the athleticism and ELITE speed to do it.  And Sherman isn't one of them by the way.  He played in a defense that helped him a lot with a front seven that mauled people.  He is average to below average in SF.

Even the elite ones with today's rules don't look elite on many Sunday afternoons.  Ramsey got exposed on more than one Sunday this year and I consider him a very, very good CB.

Sen, I think Ham explained it perfectly.  Its the trail coverage technique ... you can feel for the WR with your arm without needing to grab, similar to basketball defense, but you need to be in good coverage position first.  Basically the transition to looking for the ball needs to be done as the WR gets even with you.   Why I say the Pats have been doing it ... the "incidental contact"  where the feet get tangled, yet its not a penalty.  The Pats get away with that a ton...BECAUSE they turn and look for the ball.   The impression is they are playing the ball.  

The key here is exactly what Ham said, you need to do it while you are still in position, not after the WR is two steps ahead of you.   Its basically the point where you know the WR makes his last move and is going in the final direction of the route.  

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

And ‘58 I’m not disagreeing with your technique and concept...just can’t throw Berry under that bus. He’s a picture of a guy gutting it out through injury to try and take down the Pats. I respect the he77 out of that guy!

He's not a corner ... so tis shouldn't apply to him as much anyway.

6 hours ago, joemas6 said:

He's not a corner ... so tis shouldn't apply to him as much anyway.

Injured, not a corner - he was in position for an INT. If he used the technique they most likely win the game - period.

Only into the original Forged in Fire where they actually make the weapons. Takes knowledge and skill and if you're not careful you can learn things. New season in Feb.

‘58 Knight Fight comes on after Vikings. The best show on tv. Plenty to learn from both. They fought in period specific weapons and armor. The armor techniques are interesting. Meant to expand and shift...to actually take some of the force of the blow. And a short ax vs a long pole ax. The pole ax was used as effectively artillery. Reaching over the shield wall to attack. In close combat you can’t beat the short ax though. And the difference in shield shapes in different regions and time periods....

Brandon Graham finished first in hurries and fourth in pressures in the league this year. He only had four sacks but clearly he was making a difference. Underrated!

Anyone here interested in signing underutilized Cole Beasley in free agency before the Patriots sign him? He is 29 years old at the moment and finished the last year of his contract making  4 million a year. 

13 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I agree but Berry injured his Achilles week 1 2017. Had his heel flare up in training camp this year. Only played in two games this season. Played injured at that. Then sat out the last game of the regular season. Still couldn’t go against the Colts in the playoffs. Then suited up to play the Pats. I can’t crush a guy that’s played in two games in two seasons because he didn’t turn around looking for the ball. He was playing injured at that moment also as the news is that he is getting surgery on his heel this offseason.

Can you crush a head coach who plays Berry knowing full well he isn't healthy and Bill Belichick also knows he isn't healthy. Belichick goes for the juggler in any game let along a playoff game. Just Like Sean Payton went after Sydney Jones in the first game we played them because he knew that Jones wasn't anywhere near 100% and they got so far ahead he forced the Eagles offensive to be one dementional .

Don't understand the relevance to that particular play. Sure Berry gets consideration for playing injured, sure you go after the injured player. On THIS PARTICULAR PLAY, Berry had an easy block or could have won the game w/ an INT if he played the ball. Esp w/ Gronk who lumbers down the field and telegraphs his moves - think it's partially a timing thing, other part "I am Gronk" state of mind. He either miss timed it and/or Brady threw short - a gift not offered very often.

As for Beasley at the right price, only after a really thorough physical.

32 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Don't understand the relevance to that particular play. Sure Berry gets consideration for playing injured, sure you go after the injured player. On THIS PARTICULAR PLAY, Berry had an easy block or could have won the game w/ an INT if he played the ball. Esp w/ Gronk who lumbers down the field and telegraphs his moves - think it's partially a timing thing, other part "I am Gronk" state of mind. He either miss timed it and/or Brady threw short - a gift not offered very often.

As for Beasley at the right price, only after a really thorough physical.

You don't have to convince me mjk. Berry was stuck like glue to Gronk on that play but he didn't turn around to see where the ball was. Sure he was playing injured but he definitely kept up with Gronk on that particular play. He just didn't turn around to look for the ball. The height difference was the reason Gronk made the catch. That and the fact that Berry didn't turn around. He may not have made the pick but at the very least he would have been in position to knock the ball away.

Gronk actually had to bend down a bit to get it, he either outran it and/or Brady threw short. The whole point was that if you play in the secondary, playing the ball should be in your toolbox. Done w/ that convo.

Too many rumours floating around regarding trades, etc. Just waiting for the fireworks to start.

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Gronk actually had to bend down a bit to get it, he either outran it and/or Brady threw short. The whole point was that if you play in the secondary, playing the ball should be in your toolbox. Done w/ that convo.

Too many rumours floating around regarding trades, etc. Just waiting for the fireworks to start.

IMO mjk it is a secondary coaching philosophy and it has to be a relatively new philosophy. I would just like to pick their brains to see why they are getting away from the turnaround and look for the ball coverage. Surely there is someone out there that could explain this new philosophy to an amature like myself because I certainly don't understand it. 

On another note I just saw a mock draft that had the Eagles taking Michigan LB Devin Bush with the 25th pick.  I believe Bush is one of the three top LB's in the draft this year but I also believe the 25th pick in the draft is too high. I think he could be had in the second round.  Devin White from LSU probably goes in the top ten but I have both Bush and Mack Wilson from Alabama as ties for second and third depending on what type of linebacker you are looking for. If I had to guess I say that Wilson goes a little ahead of Bush.

3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Anyone here interested in signing underutilized Cole Beasley in free agency before the Patriots sign him? He is 29 years old at the moment and finished the last year of his contract making  4 million a year. 

No. He’s mediocre on his best day anyway. For league minimum...ok...but slot receiver options has not been our issue.

3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Can you crush a head coach who plays Berry knowing full well he isn't healthy and Bill Belichick also knows he isn't healthy. Belichick goes for the juggler in any game let along a playoff game. Just Like Sean Payton went after Sydney Jones in the first game we played them because he knew that Jones wasn't anywhere near 100% and they got so far ahead he forced the Eagles offensive to be one dementional .

Was there a better option? I think he played because Berry at 70 percent was Better to cover Gronk than any other choices. You can at least rely on him being fundamentally sound, knowing the defense and be in position. Heck we ran with C Graham that probably has the same ability nowadays that Berry has on one good wheel. Don’t even get me started with Sullivan.

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

You don't have to convince me mjk. Berry was stuck like glue to Gronk on that play but he didn't turn around to see where the ball was. Sure he was playing injured but he definitely kept up with Gronk on that particular play. He just didn't turn around to look for the ball. The height difference was the reason Gronk made the catch. That and the fact that Berry didn't turn around. He may not have made the pick but at the very least he would have been in position to knock the ball away.

The guy had only played in two games in two seasons. Coming back from a torn Achilles and having a heel injury that needs surgery.  But sure he should be in top form and make the interception...pffft

16 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

On another note I just saw a mock draft that had the Eagles taking Michigan LB Devin Bush with the 25th pick.  I believe Bush is one of the three top LB's in the draft this year but I also believe the 25th pick in the draft is too high. I think he could be had in the second round.  Devin White from LSU probably goes in the top ten but I have both Bush and Mack Wilson from Alabama as ties for second and third depending on what type of linebacker you are looking for. If I had to guess I say that Wilson goes a little ahead of Bush.

I mocked Clemson LB Tre Lemar a round later. LB has to be a priority. And it makes sense to do it through the draft more than free agency. 

30 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I mocked Clemson LB Tre Lemar a round later. LB has to be a priority. And it makes sense to do it through the draft more than free agency. 

As long as you're prepared to wait a year for him to be a major contributor.

That's pretty typical

23 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Sen, I know neither of you guys are local,  I'll chime in on what Seth Joyner said last year or even before that here on the local Comcast channel.  He said, guys today don't practice "trail technique"  when you run up in the pattern and follow the receiver putting yourself in between the QB and the WR.    He said when they used to do these drills, he used to go cover Mike Quick to make it more challenging for himself, said it was the best practice.  IMO, you see less man to man today.  I believe the Eagles are in a 3 deep zone for the most part, so the technique isn't practiced.  You see Patriots CBs use this a lot over the years.  They play a lot of man to man.  

And to be fair ... I think GBFL is talking about when you already realize that the WR is running downfield at this point, not from the start of the pattern.  So it takes away the mystery, once you realize this, turnaround, you can run straight while looking over your shoulder, same thing the WR is doing. 

Yep Joe.Also as a DB you have to have that clock in your head just like a QB,to be really effective.Assuming you are chasing a WR downfield 1,2,3(ball is in the air),turn your head.The WR is already committed to his route as you said.As I said, you wont stop a perfect pass,and as 58 also mentioned not only increases the odds of a pick or break up,but also avoids those deadly PI calls  

18 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think you missed my point. I said that corners should always be taught to look back at the ball. That they are trained to read the receiver to know when to look back for the ball. But to do so you have to be in good defensive position first. That’s the tricky part. If you are playing catch up then that’s out the window.

This is concerning man coverage.

Agreed

17 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Actually Berry should have at least blocked that pass if not get the INT. Gronk's slow and the pass was just a tad short. He's hardest to cover when the pass is in front of him, he's a beast to get over.

Berry never looked back

Short routes like that it's 1,2  look back.Decent QB's will get the ball there on short throws however.I am more concerned with being burned on the long balls,which cost us some games this year.A good deep ball can change momentum against you and dishearten a D that has played well all day

4 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Good "replacement" for Edelman.Same type clutch player(remember Avant before TE's were "a thing"/ lol)

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

IMO mjk it is a secondary coaching philosophy and it has to be a relatively new philosophy. I would just like to pick their brains to see why they are getting away from the turnaround and look for the ball coverage. Surely there is someone out there that could explain this new philosophy to an amature like myself because I certainly don't understand it. 

Im lookin at Rashan Gary from Mich at 25 lol